Menu

I need a good novel. Recommendations please?

I have just finished a bunch of books that sat on my shelf all last year. With another month left before school starts I need more books to read. Preferably fiction. Some books I have read recently (that I enjoyed): Light on Snow by Anita Shreve, The Good Pig by Sy Montgomery, The Devil In White City and The Glass Castle.

Open to anything! Thanks!

I totally adore the Shopaholic series, by Sophie Kinsella--hilarious, yet touching. And, if you are ready for a tear jerker, Drowning Ruth. I read it a year and a half ago, then reread it immediately after, then again. I still think about it all the time. Brilliant. Truly brilliant. I'd read it again but I leant it to someone and never got it back.

I'm currently reading The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett.

Good read, and a good warm-up if by chance you're planning Medieval Ages for the coming year's history.

I dont like it , I think its tone is brash and unappealing. I am ready to sell it and go on to the next. I think I am on pp 150. Just cannot get into it.

Jet

I vote for Pride and Prejudice. I just finished it today. Loved it! But now I am having trouble picking MY next summer read:glare:. I read someone's post on Jane Eyre, I think that is on my shelf somewhere. My kid's are headed to camp tomorrow:auto:, and I am looking forward to a little cleaning and a LOT of reading.

I'm currently reading The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett.

Good read, and a good warm-up if by chance you're planning Medieval Ages for the coming year's history.

I really enjoyed this one. I had been putting it off because I assumed it would be a very intellectual read, but it wasn't. It was good historical fiction with characters I got invested in and a moving storyline. However, I found that the author put a little too much into the rape scenes. I just don't need that much detail - especially when it comes to what the rapist is actually thinking about. No thanks.

Besides the snapshots into that one character's mind I really enjoyed the book.

I really enjoyed this one. I had been putting it off because I assumed it would be a very intellectual read, but it wasn't. It was good historical fiction with characters I got invested in and a moving storyline. However, I found that the author put a little too much into the rape scenes. I just don't need that much detail - especially when it comes to what the rapist is actually thinking about. No thanks.

Besides the snapshots into that one character's mind I really enjoyed the book.

I was hoping for an intellectual read. I dont think I have gotten to rape scenes. I think I am done with this book , on to the next.

Jet

I LOVED this book and can't wait to reread. It's unlike anything else I've read: part historical fiction, part fantasy, part Faerie. :001_huh: It's a very difficult book to describe and not a beach read by any means, but a wonderful, inventive, lyrically written fantasy. Highly recommended! (I also love Jane Eyre, P&P, and Possession as mentioned by others.)

Layla McB

The Devil In White City and The Glass Castle.

I also read "The Glass Castle" & really enjoyed it. Glad to know that "The Devil in the White City" is also good -- it's been on my 'to read' list.

Here are a few I recommend:

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (historical fiction) -- fascinating & very well-told.

Currently reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert & am really enjoying it. It's a fun, joyful book, imo. Light, quick reading too. Because it's told in many very short chapters, it's an easy one to read when you're really busy -- you can pick it up & read a few pages, then put it back down until you have another 5 minutes to read again later. :001_smile:

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie -- I recommend this one a lot. I totally loved it & find it to be a lovely gem of a book.

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King -- neat twist on traditional Sherlock Holmes. And, you don't necessarily have to be a Sherlock Holmes fan to enjoy it either.

I read "The Pillars of the Earth" and thought it was so-so. I think it really depends on the style of writing you like or not....

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King -- neat twist on traditional Sherlock Holmes. And, you don't necessarily have to be a Sherlock Holmes fan to enjoy it either.

Oh, yes, another vote for Beekeeper's Apprentice! This is a very entertaining read, even for a Sherlockian who loves her Holmes straight up and un-messed with. In fact, many of the follow-up books in the series all also very well done, especially O Jerusalem, The Moor, Justice Hall, The Game, and Locked Rooms.

:001_smile:

I vote for Pride and Prejudice. I just finished it today. Loved it! But now I am having trouble picking MY next summer read:glare:. I read someone's post on Jane Eyre, I think that is on my shelf somewhere. My kid's are headed to camp tomorrow:auto:, and I am looking forward to a little cleaning and a LOT of reading.

I am currently working through P&P for the third time while waiting for my dd who is in band camp at the local high school. The school librarian is sooo happy to see someone read a classic! (the school has about 10 copies of each of the twilight books, one one each of Austen's works). It is a fun book! I second Jane Eyre, too - although I tend to skim over the bits with the bore St. John.

I like the series that starts with How Green Was My Valley, too. And anything by Miss Read. Also fun - the Amelia Peabody mystery series set in Egypt 100 years a go (or so), and the Lord Peter books by Sayers, too of course!

For historical fiction I love the books by James Alexander Thom (set in America roughly 200 years ago or so) and of course my beloved Patrick O'Brian and his nautical series with Lucky Jack Aubrey and clever Doctor Maturin! You have to just give the first book or two a chance, the series really picks up with the third book and then before you know it all 20+ books (the athor died during the writing of book 21 but it still got published as is) are gone and you are sad. They are THAT good - O'Brian has been justly compared to Austin!!!!!!