Menu

Today is our first day of homeschooling...ever

We are starting school today. We decided to pull DD from public school for third grade, so this is our first experience homeschooling. She is very excited. I am a nervous wreck.

I was a teacher. I spent ten years in the classroom before I became a stay at home mom. I know how to teach. Why am I so nervous? LOL

Congratulations! It is scary, but it will get easier. I remember the year I didn't send my oldest off to K. Even though I knew we were doing the right thing, and I wanted to HS, when the schoolbus went by on the first day of PS (it picks up in front of our house, of course :lol:), my heart started to pound and I got lightheaded and dizzy. I almost wanted to chase after it :lol:. I even had a hard time at the beginning of the next two school years. But we found our groove, and you will too, and soon the excitement/panic of breaking from the mainstream will ease off and this will just be your regular lifestyle.

You can definitely do it. :grouphug:

Last year on my kids first day of being homeschooled, we made a poster listing all the reasons why they wanted to be homeschooled and then the kids made a poster of the pro's and con's of being homeschooled.

My favorite con was "I will miss my new nice principal Mr. A"

I sorta felt bad that Mr. A could come home with us too, he was a really nice guy!

Thanks for all the encouragement. It went well. I also have a 3 and 4 year old, so I did a little preschool program for them. The 4 year old doesn't like me paying so much attention to his older sister, so that was a small issue.

We started the day together with Circle Time. My daughter thought that was too kindergarten and asked if we could call it Morning Meeting instead. I told her we could do things in a pretty relaxed way, but she wants to structure her day as if she were at school. She even makes me ring my decorative dinner bell to call her in from "recess" when she takes a break out back. LOL

I asked her what she wanted to wear her first day back to school and she said, "Pajamas!"

Here are some pictures of "Morning Meeting" on our first day. The dog joined us, which thrilled my daughter. As she pointed out, "Bella couldn't come in my classroom if I were at school."

FirstDayofschool.jpg

MorningMeeting.jpg

Love your classroom!! And love that your dog is included too. That cracked me up when you described your daughter wanting structure and the bell rung; that is totally my dd too! Morning meeting is perfect, and I just might steal that idea.

I know the nervous feeling too, this will be my first year hs'ing all 3. Looks like you are off to a great start! :001_smile: