Menu

23 more days left

Myra

:grouphug: Our magic number is 17 days. I have a similar motto. I hope I can hold it together. It is a full orientation weekend and we have to leave early to get home and take our other son to a college fair - thus miss the official kiss and cry goodbye time. Dh thought he should take a train home earlier in the day so I could stay. He didn't seem to get it that I won't be competent to drive.

Awww! BTDT, and there will be tears, but you'll also be OK, knowing your student is where they are supposed to be.

What I don't know if I'll be prepared to face is when they are graduates and are moving away for that first job, with only two weeks of yearly vacation that they may or may not want to spend at home. Sigh!

Awww! BTDT, and there will be tears, but you'll also be OK, knowing your student is where they are supposed to be.

What I don't know if I'll be prepared to face is when they are graduates and are moving away for that first job, with only two weeks of yearly vacation that they may or may not want to spend at home. Sigh!

You had to bring that up!! One step at a time:)

Don't forget to take a picture of your students in their rooms or something iconic like that. Every year, I get a picture of my ds with his backpack heading towards the security gate at the airport. It is amazing how much he's matured in a few short years.

Not to make any moms weepier... but it always strikes me how much older the sophomores look than the freshman. Even when we think they are all grown up they still really have a lot of growing and changing to do.

And my son's birthday is the day after we drop him off!

If possible, leave him with a tray of brownies or a box of cupcakes that he can share with roommate(s), suite mates, or people on his hall. Food is always a good icebreaker!

This year will be my daughter's senior year at college; it goes quickly .... I'm wondering what she'll be doing a year from now.

Regards,

Kareni

Good idea about cupcakes, etc - food is great for guys! That should help my introverted 6'4" guy - my gentle "giant!"

And I'm misty eyed as I type this and hear my two teens upstairs in their bedrooms shouting back and forth to each other through the walls!

Myra

My ds says I "get that look" about a week before he goes away. I try not to stare at him as if I'm trying to memorize his face, but I can't help it. You'll be fine and crying is okay. My ds told me he's happy that I'm not glad to see him go which makes me feel better, but then I get misty-eyed at the realization that this fine, young man is comforting me instead of the other way around.

My oldest leaves two weeks from tomorrow! :crying:

But...she's only 4 1/2 hours away. It seems like a lot, but I know it's not.

And I'm VERY grateful, in the end, that she chose the 2+2 college plan and completed her AA degree first at the community college! Not only did it save us some $$$, but we were able to spend a few more years with her and she was allowed a few more years to gain in maturity.

She's excited as she can be! The packing has commenced in earnest. She got the dorm she wanted and knows who her roommate is.

I'm sure I will shed quite a few tears -- as will her little sister. We have a countdown calendar for her (she has special needs) and the other day she said, "17 days until Sissy leaves for her new school ... and I'm gonna cry." :(

We leave on Saturday. I'm in denial. We drive 9 hours-spend the night-drive another 9 hours check in to hotel Sunday night. All day Monday to ourselves. Move in Tuesday. Say goodbye Wed evening.

I can't believe that a week from now I will be leaving him.

I'm truly excited for him. However, this is so hard. Not only will I miss him but it hurts me to know how much my other son will miss him. It's just the two of them. It's not just a son going away--it's a best friend. :crying:

Thanks for all the great advice on things to leave him, lists of things to get, care packages, etc.

Thanks for the encouragement.

If possible, leave him with a tray of brownies or a box of cupcakes that he can share with roommate(s), suite mates, or people on his hall. Food is always a good icebreaker!

This year will be my daughter's senior year at college; it goes quickly .... I'm wondering what she'll be doing a year from now.

Regards,

Kareni

I can't believe she'll be a senior. It seems like it was just the other day.

Thanks for all the application materials you so kindly shared with us.

I can't believe she'll be a senior. It seems like it was just the other day.

Thanks for all the application materials you so kindly shared with us.

I'm having a hard time believing it, too!

You're quite welcome; I'm happy to have helped. Many others lent me a hand, too.

Regards and best wishes,

Kareni

My sister has a daughter starting her third year. She claims that among her friends, it seems like the moms with sons have the toughest time with leaving. Anyone agree?

Maybe because they know the boys won't call as often? :tongue_smilie:

(I've sent a boy and a girl to college, and the difference in frequency of communication was striking! We're dropping off ds2 on Monday, and I'm hoping his communication habits take after his sister's!)

:grouphug: to all those counting days. We have 20 more until my daughter leaves. I'm actually very weepy tonight (shhh, please don't tell). I've been doing so well ( I am awesome when armed with lists) but I realized tonight that our tradition of sleeping together when my dh is out of town is coming to an end. We always put the little girls to bed a bit hastily and watch a fun movie. Then we snuggle in my bed with lots of blankets. The strangest things make me feel sad. Sigh...This is such a bittersweet time.

Guest lauren_05

I congratulate all of you for gearing up your children to be ready for college. This is not just a huge step for them, but for you as well. I've been there and I know that both of you need a lot of strength to overcome this but it's part of growing up. Be strong :grouphug:

DD18 flies south in 9 days. She is pretty excited.

I'm sure I will join the weepy mom list once she's gone. She is our second one to head off to college and we won't see her until Christmas.

It will definitely be MUCH QUIETER here - my last two at home are both on the less noisy side.