Menu

Used Car Sales Ppl

If my experience over the last few days is anything to go by, their reputation is justly deserved. :glare: I always thought it was a cliche, a running joke...Uh, apparently, not so much.

Our family vehicle is dying. Wolf has a van he bought for $600 to get to and from work...but our family one, the tranny is going, it needs to be replaced. It's not worth what it would cost to fix the tranny.

So. Go out looking on Fri. (There are FOUR dealerships in the city of 15,000. Wha?!) Speak to a sales person at the one dealership. She's fairly clueless. Doesn't have anything like what we describe we need, (must seat 7, etc). Her push is on, "We can bring down anything from our other dealership!" but no actual helpful info. Yeah, the brand new vehicle for over $80k aint happenin, thanks.

Moving on.

I spot a vehicle in another dealership that looks *perfect*. Not the model Wolf orig had in mind, but actually exceeds our desires in terms of room, etc. Woo hooo. We now know what we want.

Ah...but there's a hook. Sales person isn't sure a) if the vehicle we want is actually available, b/c there's 2 on the lot, 1 has a deal on it, and she isn't sure which it is...and the other one has 20k more kms on it. Same price. And, I made it clear that I'm not pleased w/the pricing ,but of COURSE, only the mgr can negotiate, and he'd left for the long wknd.

Was supposed to hear back about a) if the vehicle is actually avail, and b) about financing.

Nada.

Do some research. Discover exact same vehicle, w/100k less kms, for same price. Discover several other of the same vehicle w/far less kms for same price.

No way am I going to accept the vehicle that we looked at.

I also rejected the whole, "We can get you the best interest rates!" argument, went and talked w/our bank, and doing the paperwork there. I know dealerships make $ off financing.

Do more research. We're both members of the same union, and can get deals at some dealerships. I contact one, tell him what I'm looking at/for, and he'll get back to me.

He responds, an email w/ "Your New Vehicle' in the title.

It's 2 yrs newer than I'd been looking at, and oh...$22k MORE than I was willing to spend.

*headdesk*

Dude. I said I had a firm price point. How does that = $22k more?

Honestly. Not at all impressed. Either the sales ppl were clueless, trying to push us into ANY vehicle they had (or could get), completely ignored our specs, incl price, or couldn't be bothered to follow up.

I'm already dreading this process, and we're nowhere near done yet.

Oh, and the next person that answers MY question while addressing Wolf (ignoring me) is getting walked out on, pdq.

Yes, he'll be the one driving it, but *I* am the one that does all the $ managing around here. I may have a uterus, but that doesn't make me invisible, stupid, or uninvolved in the purchase. :glare:

I hate this kind of stuff. It's so stressful. Personally, I'd only consider buying a used car from a dealer who sells that specific make, or from a private seller. I'd avoid the mass used car lots entirely.

When we bought our last car, dh researched for several months. He used a couple of online websites; this one was by far my favorite. (I know you're in Canada; I don't know if they have a Canadian equivalent.) Dh also perused ebay. There are a lot of valid, good deals, but I think it's more important to know what you are doing if you purchase from a private seller, and definitely have the car checked by a reputable mechanic.

Dh looked at a few cars locally and did not buy. Through that CarGurus website, he eventually found the car he wanted and drove across the state to look at it. Although he didn't buy it, the dealer had just received a trade in that was a great fit. Dh bought that before it even went up for sale.

Another advantage of all of his research was that I knew he scored a great deal, so I didn't complain about it. ;) He spent 1/3 less than he would have if he'd bought in the beginning.

I'll admit, I'm leery of a private sale.

I honestly don't know much about doing that at all, in terms of ensuring that the proper history is on the vehicle, that it's not stolen (I've heard of that happening, where someone buys a vehicle in good faith, only to discover it's actually stolen, and frankly, as rare as it may be, it's the kind of thing that would totally happen to me :glare:) so I feel 'safer' w/a dealer.

Plus, I really don't want the hassle of attempting to sell our current vehicle. As I said, it needs a new tranny, etc, so I'd rather just trade it in...I realize we'll get minimal $ for it, but it's worth it to me to not have it hanging around, trying to sell it on our own.

I feel your pain. We need to look soon, but I can't get the last salesperson we worked with out of my mind. He was horrible - so bad that he actually used the line "what's it going to take to put you in this car today? "

Eww. Ick. Pay attention to me and stop reciting what you heard in your last sales meeting.

This is a line frequently used around here. I too dread any kind of major purchase because of the endless haggling and the second guessing if we now made a mistake and a better vehicle is waiting around the corner. We try to buy from private parties and have the car checked before purchasing.

You should be able to get a Carfax on any vehicle, detailing history, accidents if any, etc. Then have your favorite (reliable) mechanic check it out before you buy.

Do we have to pay for the report, or does the seller? And how does financing work, any ideas?

We're waiting to hear from the bank about financing...it's a long wknd here, so won't know diddly til Tues.

I have no advice, but I HATE shopping for vehicles. DH goes. I can't even be in the same city.

Wolf's not allowed to shop for vehicles w/out me.

Yes, NOT ALLOWED.

Last time, he ended up falling for a bait and switch, and paying far more than he should have. I may not enjoy the experience, but I enjoy being financially screwed far less.

Yes, NOT ALLOWED.

Last time, he ended up falling for a bait and switch, and paying far more than he should have. I may not enjoy the experience, but I enjoy being financially screwed far less.

LOL see that's me. DH is like the biggest embarrassment shopping for cars. The poor sales people. I love it. That's why he doesn't let me go.

Yes, NOT ALLOWED.

:iagree:

When DH and I bought our first car, we both went. I had serious reservations about the car, and wanted to wait. We talked about it, I trusted DH to make the right decision. He decided we should go for the car -- and we've been regretting it since.

My only advice: When you find 'the car' wait 18-24 hours before making a decision. :P

dh has only gone with me once when buying a car, and that was our one new one, from a dealer, and we new what we wanted exactly.

I bring a book (for all those times that they go back to "check" with their managers). I am not a girly girl, but I bring a nail file and start filing my nails when they are talking to me and being stupid. I put it away when they are making sense, and get it back out when they go into bs mode. I look at it as a game.

I do have a folders of paper with me. Costs, dealer holdbacks, what they paid etc...

My only advice is negotiate your price BEFORE you let them know that you're doing a trade-in.

I agree with the "Ick" factor of car salesmen. My DH has point blank told them "She asked you the question" when they tried to ignore me in their answer. When we test drive, he'll go to the driver door...and open it for me to get in. :) It knocks the salesmen pack a peg or two and leaves them scrambling trying to figure out the dynamic and who to talk *at* to make the sale.

Yes, NOT ALLOWED.

Neither is my husband. I scare car salesmen. :D The ONE time dh bought a car that I was against, but decided to let him do it on his own, we got ripped.

Wolf calls it 'going Wifezilla'.

He prefers to let me deal w/any service ppl, b/c I very nicely, but firmly refuse to accept shoddy service, pricing, etc. I'm not rude about it, but I don't accept what they attempt to dish out.

He tends to trust salesppl more than anyone should, b/c he worked in sales and marketing...so he actually expects ppl to want to do the best for their customers, and deal w/everyone ethically, etc. B/c that was *his* approach.

Doesn't work.

I'll admit, I'm leery of a private sale.

I honestly don't know much about doing that at all, in terms of ensuring that the proper history is on the vehicle, that it's not stolen (I've heard of that happening, where someone buys a vehicle in good faith, only to discover it's actually stolen, and frankly, as rare as it may be, it's the kind of thing that would totally happen to me :glare:) so I feel 'safer' w/a dealer.

Plus, I really don't want the hassle of attempting to sell our current vehicle. As I said, it needs a new tranny, etc, so I'd rather just trade it in...I realize we'll get minimal $ for it, but it's worth it to me to not have it hanging around, trying to sell it on our own.

So.. first let me say that my husband owns a used car dealership so he's a used car salesman. I can't tell you how furious I get when people make really mean comments about the honesty and integrity of " all used car salesmen" Truthfully, my husband is the most honest guy I know.

- Now, to educate:

First, you say you want to buy from a used car dealership, but are angry when you find you can buy the same car from an individual for less. Yet, you don't trust that process. What you are getting from a (reputable) used car dealership is peace of mind. And sometimes you have to pay a little extra for that. Not always, but sometimes. For example: My husband will buy a car to sell on the lot. He has to run it through his shop (his dealership has two full-time mechanics on staff), get it detailed, and pay for any new parts, tires, or upholstery that is needed to get that car ready to sell. These things all cost money, adding to the overall price of the vehicle.

Second, my husband's dealership offers a 30 day warranty. That can be wonderful for a buyer. And usually, given all the things that happen to that car before it hits the lot (see paragraph above), cars don't come back. Sometimes, though, unforseen things happen. Now my husband could be looking at a $1000 repair for a car he made less than $1000 on.

I will agree that not all used car salemen are good people. Many are out there knocking off people's heads in interest and in overall price of vehicle. If your credit is good, you shouldn't need on-site financing. Or if you do, your dealer should be able to get you good terms. We use several different banks and get really good rates for customers with good credit. Not as good as their own credit union, but not everyone has access to that. If your credit is bad, well, the deal is... you are a risk. And risks are expensive. I can't tell you the things I've seen over the years from customers. But, most of our customers are repeat business. And they refer friends. Again, not every town has a reputable dealer. But, please. Let's not bash every single used car salesman... bringing me to my last point:

The average used car salesman works about 60 hours a week (new car salesman work up to 80-- ask me how I know). They are tired, many times underpaid, and frankly abused people: they get lied to, and snickered at behind their backs. It's possibly the lowliest job on the planet. Ever been to a party and someone asks you what you do and you have to say "used car salesman?" Yeah, it's not glamorous and therefore no one wants to do it. It's literally everyone's last choice in a sales position. And people do not stay in the business long. Cut your salesman some slack if they make some gaffes.

Margaret

So.. first let me say that my husband owns a used car dealership so he's a used car salesman. I can't tell you how furious I get when people make really mean comments about the honesty and integrity of " all used car salesmen" Truthfully, my husband is the most honest guy I know.

- Now, to educate:

First, you say you want to buy from a used car dealership, but are angry when you find you can buy the same car from an individual for less. Yet, you don't trust that process. What you are getting from a (reputable) used car dealership is peace of mind. And sometimes you have to pay a little extra for that. Not always, but sometimes. For example: My husband will buy a car to sell on the lot. He has to run it through his shop (his dealership has two full-time mechanics on staff), get it detailed, and pay for any new parts, tires, or upholstery that is needed to get that car ready to sell. These things all cost money, adding to the overall price of the vehicle.

Second, my husband's dealership offers a 30 day warranty. That can be wonderful for a buyer. And usually, given all the things that happen to that car before it hits the lot (see paragraph above), cars don't come back. Sometimes, though, unforseen things happen. Now my husband could be looking at a $1000 repair for a car he made less than $1000 on.

I will agree that not all used car salemen are good people. Many are out there knocking off people's heads in interest and in overall price of vehicle. If your credit is good, you shouldn't need on-site financing. Or if you do, your dealer should be able to get you good terms. We use several different banks and get really good rates for customers with good credit. Not as good as their own credit union, but not everyone has access to that. If your credit is bad, well, the deal is... you are a risk. And risks are expensive. I can't tell you the things I've seen over the years from customers. But, most of our customers are repeat business. And they refer friends. Again, not every town has a reputable dealer. But, please. Let's not bash every single used car salesman... bringing me to my last point:

The average used car salesman works about 60 hours a week (new car salesman work up to 80-- ask me how I know). They are tired, many times underpaid, and frankly abused people: they get lied to, and snickered at behind their backs. It's possibly the lowliest job on the planet. Ever been to a party and someone asks you what you do and you have to say "used car salesman?" Yeah, it's not glamorous and therefore no one wants to do it. It's literally everyone's last choice in a sales position. And people do not stay in the business long. Cut your salesman some slack if they make some gaffes.

Margaret

Glad you posted, Margaret. I was going to post about our very good experiences with buying used cars. The key is that you need to be very clear about what you want, if, indeed, you clearly know what you want. Salesmen are not mind readers. They are using what you tell them to try to find what is available that might fit what you've said you wanted.

People often think they are good at clear communication, but in all likelihood they aren't.

Partially because of this thread, I just sent DH off alone to the car dealership today. I did make sure he called me before he actually bought anything. So I didn't have to deal with it at all, and he's coming home with my new (well, 6 years old, but way newer than the one he's trading in) Sienna! Hope I don't regret it....but it seems like he got a pretty good deal, and he says it's really nice. And I'm not especially picky about cars.

ETA: and he tells me everyone at the dealership was very nice :)

Edited by kokotg

- Now, to educate:

Margaret

No, the places I found the exact yr and make were OTHER dealerships. I haven't looked at private sellers, b/c I'm leery of doing so. All the info I'm looking at are other used car dealers.

the ppl I've mentioned have either a) completely dropped the ball by not following up in the slightest, incl which vehicle was already sold b) really had no idea of how to answer questions and kept trying to promote a vehicle that I'd already flatly turned down (over $80k) c) Ignored me when I asked a ?, instead addressing Wolf at all times and d ) emailed me w/the subject line : your new _____ w/a vehicle that's over $20k more than my firm price point.

I believe I started the OP in saying that I now understand why the negative reps exist. Of course not every sales person is like this, but I'm honestly astounded by my experiences thus far. That's 3/3, 3 diff dealerships.

Really hoping that this streak ends, and I can deal w/someone that is different in the next wk or 2.

Audrey, I've narrowed it down to the make, model, acceptable km range, and a 2006. *If* there's a 2007 that hits our price point, ok, but realistically looking at /06. So we absolutely know what we're looking for. Which is where the frustration w/way outta our price range, etc comes from, b/c I've been very clear.

No, the places I found the exact yr and make were OTHER dealerships. I haven't looked at private sellers, b/c I'm leery of doing so. All the info I'm looking at are other used car dealers.

the ppl I've mentioned have either a) completely dropped the ball by not following up in the slightest, incl which vehicle was already sold b) really had no idea of how to answer questions and kept trying to promote a vehicle that I'd already flatly turned down (over $80k) c) Ignored me when I asked a ?, instead addressing Wolf at all times and d ) emailed me w/the subject line : your new _____ w/a vehicle that's over $20k more than my firm price point.

I believe I started the OP in saying that I now understand why the negative reps exist. Of course not every sales person is like this, but I'm honestly astounded by my experiences thus far. That's 3/3, 3 diff dealerships.

Really hoping that this streak ends, and I can deal w/someone that is different in the next wk or 2.

Audrey, I've narrowed it down to the make, model, acceptable km range, and a 2006. *If* there's a 2007 that hits our price point, ok, but realistically looking at /06. So we absolutely know what we're looking for. Which is where the frustration w/way outta our price range, etc comes from, b/c I've been very clear.

I understand your point of view. It can be a frustrating experience. I'm just letting you know that perhaps there is another perspective.

Margaret

I do understand Margaret. I know that not everyone is like this, but I will say that I do now understand where some of the cliches come from, given my experience.

The guy that suggested the vehicle that was 20k above my price point came back w/another suggestion...this one 'only' 10k above.

*facepalm*