Menu

Home Art Studio

Homemama2

I ordered this but I haven't gotten it yet. I think it looks really good. My dd enjoyed all the samples (even the K one). I had considered Atelier art, but this is so much more reasonably priced. I think I had figured it out that I could get all levels of Home Art Studio for less than one level of Atelier.

I ordered this but I haven't gotten it yet. I think it looks really good. My dd enjoyed all the samples (even the K one). I had considered Atelier art, but this is so much more reasonably priced. I think I had figured it out that I could get all levels of Home Art Studio for less than one level of Atelier.

Ditto! :001_smile:

You'll have to let me know how you like it! I was very impressed with the price! :D It's even less than Artistic Pursuits (which is what I've used in the past) but it's VIDEO. Art is the one thing I really do NOT like to teach...a video would be wonderful.....

I might try out the sample lessons with my kids before school starts and see what they think. :001_smile:

We have the first grade one and it is fun. My kids beg to do art. We watch the video and then go do the art after. We've only done two, but I highly recommend it if you find it hard to fit art in, tend to not do art because it seems like too much work, etc. The videos are great fantastic quality. Ms. Volin talks to the child as if the child was in an art class with her. She demonstrates very clearly and her instructions merge with clips of something she is talking about - for example, in the first lesson, we made paper rollercoasters. The video showed a real rollercoaster. In the second lesson, she talked about weaving and looms and the video went to a woman using a real loom. It is done very artfully and professionally. So far the projects are simple, yet fun. I thought the paper roller coaster was bleh, (only because I like painitng, not sculpting) but the kids (5 and 3) thought it was tremendous and spent tons of time playing with the art work afterward. I'll be posting a review on my blog with photos at the end of the month and will try to remember to post the link on TWTM.

We've only done the first two lessons, and I did receive it free in exchange for the review, however, I will be purchasing another DVD when we finish this one. It just ensures art gets done. I bought Meet the Masters, and we've used that twice as well and I like it better for the art history and art appreciation, but the way it is set up, it gets done less easily than Home Art.

To Sandy: You could adapt it easily for your 2nd and 6th if you got the 4th or 5th grade level. It's easier to adapt down than up in my experience. I chose the first grade level and plan to adapt down to my 3yr old.

We have the first grade one and it is fun. My kids beg to do art. We watch the video and then go do the art after. We've only done two, but I highly recommend it if you find it hard to fit art in, tend to not do art because it seems like too much work, etc. The videos are great fantastic quality. Ms. Volin talks to the child as if the child was in an art class with her. She demonstrates very clearly and her instructions merge with clips of something she is talking about - for example, in the first lesson, we made paper rollercoasters. The video showed a real rollercoaster. In the second lesson, she talked about weaving and looms and the video went to a woman using a real loom. It is done very artfully and professionally. So far the projects are simple, yet fun. I thought the paper roller coaster was bleh, (only because I like painitng, not sculpting) but the kids (5 and 3) thought it was tremendous and spent tons of time playing with the art work afterward. I'll be posting a review on my blog with photos at the end of the month and will try to remember to post the link on TWTM.

We've only done the first two lessons, and I did receive it free in exchange for the review, however, I will be purchasing another DVD when we finish this one. It just ensures art gets done. I bought Meet the Masters, and we've used that twice as well and I like it better for the art history and art appreciation, but the way it is set up, it gets done less easily than Home Art.

To Sandy: You could adapt it easily for your 2nd and 6th if you got the 4th or 5th grade level. It's easier to adapt down than up in my experience. I chose the first grade level and plan to adapt down to my 3yr old.

Do you know if she as plans to go any further than 5th grade?

Sandy

A couple of blogs with reviews that I have found for Home Art Studio:

1plus1plus1equals1

Everyday Snapshots (link is to old giveaway but has links to other posts)

I am planning to get this but their international shipping is ridiculously high, so waiting on relatives to bring it to me when they visit later this year. Thinking of doing this as a co-op type thing to get to know other homeschoolers in the area. I mean, how many of us never get around to doing art?

A couple of blogs with reviews that I have found for Home Art Studio:

1plus1plus1equals1

Everyday Snapshots (link is to old giveaway but has links to other posts)

I am planning to get this but their international shipping is ridiculously high, so waiting on relatives to bring it to me when they visit later this year. Thinking of doing this as a co-op type thing to get to know other homeschoolers in the area. I mean, how many of us never get around to doing art?

Ugh...how muc is shipping?

I think Atelier Art looks much better. This one looks like things my kids would come up with on their own- of course this is just my opinion after reviewing the website and the videos. Initially, I was excited to see this. :leaving:

Atelier is having a Homeschool co-op special right now.:tongue_smilie:

[quote= The videos are great fantastic quality. Ms. Volin talks to the child as if the child was in an art class with her. She demonstrates very clearly

:iagree:

I am using K with a 2nd and a Ker. My K is more into art, my 2nd would never notice if I skipped it, so I went with K.

We have only done one lesson, plan to do lesson #2 this week. You can print a sheet with the main topics and materials for each lesson. She has a website to post pictures of your artwork, I hope to do this and think the kids will enjoy looking at other work. Projects are simple and I think we can easily get them done.

We purchased out copy at the Cincinnati convention and met Ms. Volin there. She is very approachable and if you have questions I suggest contacting her directly (about placement).

Those of you overseas, did you contact her directly? Maybe she would send it for actual shipping? But I really have no idea.

I think Atelier Art looks much better. This one looks like things my kids would come up with on their own- of course this is just my opinion after reviewing the website and the videos. Initially, I was excited to see this. :leaving:

Atelier is having a Homeschool co-op special right now.:tongue_smilie:

True, the projects (in K at least) ARE very simple. I was shopping for Atelier when I came across HomeArt Studio, I would not say they are "apples to apples". I have not used Atelier, but it appears to have "more" to it.

I wrote the review at Everyday Snapshots. :001_smile: Just wanted to pipe in with a few things.

The last time I checked shipping on a DVD was $8. Not sure what it would be if you ordered more than one DVD. If you are planning to buy some of the art supplies from Jerry's then doing it all together might help with shipping. I will say that I did have all of the supplies we have needed so far on hand except for large watercolor paper.

We are just back to school this week and my daughter has already asked to do art with Ms. Volin.

As for grade placement, some of the DVDs have themes to them. I was going to get the second grade DVD since my daughter is much more interested in art than my son, but when Ms. Volin heard we were studying world cultures this year, she recommended the first grade one instead. Almost all of the projects on that DVD are cultural in nature. The second grade one focuses on fairy tales. Not sure about the others. It might be worth it to research or ask to see if that would help your decision.

HTH,

Pam

• 1 year later...

Bumping this for more reviews. I saw it mentioned on another thread and went to the website. The videos are now $29.99 with free continental US shipping. I am not good at art. It looks like the projects are appropriate for elementary and would hasten art getting done in this house. The kids liked the samples. Will the 1st grade video be too easy for a 3rd grader who hasn't done art formally (just crafts and painting here and there)?

Bumping this for more reviews. I saw it mentioned on another thread and went to the website. The videos are now $29.99 with free continental US shipping. I am not good at art. It looks like the projects are appropriate for elementary and would hasten art getting done in this house. The kids liked the samples. Will the 1st grade video be too easy for a 3rd grader who hasn't done art formally (just crafts and painting here and there)?

When my daughter was in 3rd she used the K level and enjoyed it.  So, I would think your 3rd grader will enjoy the 1st grade level.  I really wish it wasn't labeled as grade level...but just by level (level 1, level 2, etc).  The only little thing that might be of a concern is that in the K level (not sure about the 1st grade one), sometimes Ms. Volin says things like, "Be very careful with the scissors" or "Cutting can be hard. Ask somebody to help you cut if you can't do it yet", etc.  If that won't bother your child (it didn't phase mine) than it should be fine.  I like that there are no students in the videos...no younger students that might make an older student feel like it's too babyish. 

I got the first grade level for my 7 year old part way through last year, and it made art so easy. I love that it includes a pdf that tells you what each project is, and what supplies are needed.

But best of all, I was surprised by how much my son liked this. He's not into crafts: he likes drawing, but not coloring or anything artsy crafty. But after each of the first four lessons, the next day he asked to do the project again. I call that pretty high praise!

We bought the whole series through Homeschool Buyers Co-op and I think we payed about half of the retail price. Maybe a little more.

We completed the K curriculum last year with my 6 and 4 yo's. They LOVED it. DS6 tired of some of the paper cutting projects because they were tedious to him, but they absolutely loved everything else. I had to help the 4yo with a few things, but overall they had a great time. 

I'm rather artistic myself and at first I found this program to be very "basic." But, as the year went on, I realized she was covering terms and very basic skills that I might have otherwise overlooked. The K DVD included terms such as "symmetry" and "horizon line," introduced van Gogh, and covered basic drawing, cutting, gluing, and sculpture techniques. I had never learned about "organic shapes" before but my kids seemed to understand quickly.

Not at all! I used the 1st grade video a couple of years ago with my K'er and 3rd grader. They had so much fun and some of the projects turned out really beautiful.

We love Home Art Studio!

We have Home Art Studio K, 1st, and 2nd grade DVD's. My kids really enjoy them. I wish our TV was closer to the table because they like to pause and go do a step or two and then go watch more of the video. Their things have turned out well so far. I use it with my kids ages 3, 4, 6, and 8. We started with the Kindergarten one and it's fine for my 6 and 8 year olds, a little challenging for the 4 year old and too hard for the 3 year old to do the actual project but I just put the supplies in front of her and she does whatever she does :)  I'm very glad there is a PDF on the disk with all the info about each lesson on it.

It's a great program and I feel like we got a very good price through HSBC.  I'm looking forward to ordering the next few DVD's (2nd-4th grade) after we work our way through these. 

We also love Home Art Studio! Last year my older two kids completed their grade levels, 2nd and 4th. This year they have started 3rd and 5th. These are not projects my kids would come up with themselves. I love how she sparks creativity and introduces art concepts and famous artists and styles of art.

I will definitely add this to my wish list! We did a project from one of the free lessons today, the aboriginal picture from 1st grade, and my kids enjoyed it. Let me know if there is another HSBC sale on this coming up soon. The retail price does seem reasonable though, so will buy from the website unless someone puts a bug in my ear about an upcoming sale.