Menu

O/T: open & go curriculum for a hard year ahead?

Yolanda

I realize this forum is for WTM & such but I'm trying to help a mom and this is the biggest forum I could think of.... (sorry mods if I'm in the wrong. I guess I'll know if I'm deleted, which I understand)

But just wondering if anyone can recommend some literal 'open & go' curriculum for a tough year ahead. she's got a 7th, 5th, 3rd, & 1st grade kids (not to mention the younger triplets!) and is in a very, very hard transitional time: no home, literally, dad's looking for a job, family is against h.s. and the uphill battle has been going on for a few years.

I've suggested a few like Sonlight and School house ? Also suggested Amanda Bennett unit studies, COVA etc.

What she doesn't have the time or wherewithall to do is go searching herself. So, I can do that with the suggestions made.

I appreciate your offerings!!!

Unfortunately there is no 'one stop' where i can go to ask....I've been asking on various forums, Yahoo groups and local h.s. groups.

:grouphug:

Yolanda in CO

which is a lot going on and very little family support or I should say NO family support.

OPEN AND GO CURRICULUMS --for a busy stressed financially strapped mom would be things on the computer but with that many kids her best bet would be.....Plus she may not even have access to a computer. K12 only provides one computer for the whole family and from what I heard it is a lot of work. Connections Academy would require computer access as well.

1) Going through a local charter school for the supplies and things she might need might be her best bet. If she is Christian she will not be able to buy Christian materials from them. Our family had some financial difficulties and the charter school even helped out in getting pencils, crayons and paper. Just basic things you need for any kind of teaching. Of course you can use sticks and dirt but realistically paper and pencil is a must. Anyways when we were living in a hotel with no curriculum whatsoever I just made my own worksheets/problems during the day with plain old paper and pencil and utilized the library big time. The older kids made up their own problems for each other. PLUS LOTS of Reading.

2) If she is involved with any churches, some people in the church may be able to give away free curriculum. I have gotten a lot from mine in the past.

3) Now specifically OPEN AND GO: I recommend the First Language Lesson, OPGTR, WWE, Story of the World series, Phonics Pathways. However these can be considered Teacher intensive which means it requires the parent to lead, participate etc

A lot of workbooks are open and go like Explode the Code and ones from Rite Aid, Walgreens, Walmart, Costco etc

Maybe Singapore math, Saxon-although that has teacher manuals and lessons parents have to follow.

Maybe Rod and Staff and CHristian LIght Education as well as those Aces pacs from Alpha Omega or something like that are pretty open and go.

Sonlight requires a lot of read alouds and I didn;t have time to do all that while nursing babies and such. I lost my voice too much with Sonlight. Get books on tape from the library!!! With Heart of Dakota she would have too many levels to shuffle through. Winter's Promise might be too crafty with too many stuff to buy. Don;t know.

She can see the list of free curriculums online like Prontolessons.com and Ambleside online, Spelling City, Starfall, Brain Pop etc and a bunch of others. Those are the only two I can think of off hand.

Abeka use to have those video curriculums. I am not sure if she has a vcr/dvd. But that is an expensive option though. Videos and dvds from the library are great and free.

What about the Robinson Self teaching curriculum for the older kids?

I am sure others have more ideas.....

My main suggestions: Library card, Books on tape, Educational videos, PBS, Paper, pencils, crayons, nature walks

the older kids can help write up schedules(microsoft word), figure out family budget (math, spreadsheet on excel), learn how to read bills and help write checks, they can learn to meal plan and cook (fractions, math skills, nutrition, reading labels), clean house (read chemical warning labels, research safe cleaning methods), 7th grade can even help plan and write up unit studies for the family. When we were living in the hotel we taught them how a hotel earns and spends money and figure out about the cost of things. We talked to the maintenance people and learned where they originally came from and looked it up on a map and talked to them about what was life like in that country. Why they are living here etc. We met some people living in hotels for years and asked them why they were living there for years and how in some ways it was cheaper than renting because they didn;t have to pay utilities, first, last deposit etc. They learned about what good and bad credit was. Debt repayment. Learning to live within our means. My kids really learned about wants vs needs during this time. What is truly necessary and what isn't. What we can live without. I guess in some ways during that time we did unschooling but they learned a lot nonetheless.

More open and go curriculum: Life of Fred for older kids, Edcon workbooks-reading the classics reading comprehension workbooks, Key To Series

Edited by happycc
adding in more open and go curriculum

I'm not really qualified to answer this... but...

If it is really only going to be ONE tough year, why not take it light. Spend every other day at the library, where the kids can read whatever books take their interest (or bring home a bunch, once a week or so), and add in a cheap math like Math Mammoth. No pressure to get anything done other than reading good books and doing math. If it's just for one year, I think it would not harm the kids at all!

I'm not really qualified to answer this... but...

If it is really only going to be ONE tough year, why not take it light. Spend every other day at the library, where the kids can read whatever books take their interest (or bring home a bunch, once a week or so), and add in a cheap math like Math Mammoth. No pressure to get anything done other than reading good books and doing math. If it's just for one year, I think it would not harm the kids at all!

:iagree:

This is a hard case. If the person is living with someone the last thing they need is a whole bunch of books for each grade level. Getting a math curriculum and using the library would keep the pressure off there. Also it is very hard to get open and go and economical (I assume Dad hunting a job = not much money) at the same time.

Get them each a note book and let them do copy work from the history and science books from the library. Let them pick out the most interesting part they read to copy. There you have spelling, hand writing, grammar, and topical info all rolled into one ball. Let them illustrate their writings. Olders would do more copying than the youngers.

These are some great options!!!!

I so, so, so appreciate them and will forward these right now.

She had internet in the past but I'm not sure what is to come.

And whether it's 'one' year or more, I just put that because I imagine she could only look down the line at one year. Hopefully it will only be one!!!

Thanks again ladies! :crying: It does my heart good (and I'm sure hers, too) to have help like this.

K-12? It would be free and it might help satisfy family since it's pretty much public school at home. Sounds like she's got enough going on without family butting in. Poor thing.

:iagree: I was thinking the same thing.

What is the budget? Is there any chance a church can take a collection for her?

Are we talking secular or Christian?

Can you, or she, or anyone print anything? Carson-Dellosa just slashed their ebook prices, and you can download them cheaply at Currclick or the publisher.

Does she have any e-book readers? If not, is there a chance you can find anyone at a church to donate some older model ones, they aren't using anymore?

Are the children gifted/LD/average? Do they like to read?

Does she enjoy teaching and self-educating?

Take a look at the Robinson Curriculum. The author gives scholarships. But even if you don't get the CDs, just the method is worth looking at, and we can direct you/her to alternative books.

Look at used, older version Saxon books for math for the older two. Maybe Climbing to Good English for the older 3. It's Amish and definitely open and go.

If money is donated, and she is Christian, definitely look at ACE paces.

CLE for LA and math. MOH for history (one of the few that works for all those ages). Videos and books from the library for science. Lots of reading (biographies, fiction, etc.) from the library. Make sure the oldest does all the writing in those things.

About K12, we've had friends do this who were very happy with it.

I appreciate the continued responses! And I'm passing them on to her as I get them.

For now, she's got internet access so she can do some checking.

Hunter: I've passed on the questions you asked, perhaps it will get her wheels turning in directions she didn't think of before. I'm pretty sure a definite answer is unknown right now, as everything is up in the air.

If she's going to have Internet access, Amanda Bennett unit studies are great, plus MEP and Khan Academy are free online for math, plus lots and lots and lots of library books. Hit the school sales now and stock up on cheap notebooks to do any writing in, and go. She can assign essays or research papers or whatnot to the older students and just have them handwritten in the notebooks. Also, Book Samaritan might be able to help them.

I also think focusing on doing a thorough math program plus reading extensively at the library would make for a great, yet simple and doable year. Math Mammoth is cheap and straight to the point. She would possibly need something more advanced for rising 7th grader, but if student doesn't have a strong math background MM 5th-6th might be about the right level.

Best of luck to her and thanks to you for helping her!

Edited by sdunckel@sbcglobal.net

I appreciate the continued responses! And I'm passing them on to her as I get them.

For now, she's got internet access so she can do some checking.

Hunter: I've passed on the questions you asked, perhaps it will get her wheels turning in directions she didn't think of before. I'm pretty sure a definite answer is unknown right now, as everything is up in the air.

Yolanda, I've been homeless twice after fleeing a domestic abuse situation. I homeschooled my boys in poverty and abuse. I've had some hard times and made it through. My boys are grown now and I am here as a self-educator and as a tutor of mostly adult LD and ESL students. I'm a little crazy, but...I have some hard earned BTDT advice.

Sometimes I get real busy, but if there is some stuff I can help with, shoot me an e-mail address in a PM, and I'm willing to chat with you or this mom. The PM boxes here fill up quickly, so any lengthy chatting needs to be e-mail.

You ladies are beautiful!!!! Thank You!!!

Passing along a thanks from Mom, " You have a collection of homeschool moms who know A LOT! More than I could figure out in my spare time! :)"

I knew our collective resources would be a tremendous help!!!! As well as being a great big HUG!!!!

Thanks again!

You ladies are beautiful!!!! Thank You!!!

Passing along a thanks from Mom, " You have a collection of homeschool moms who know A LOT! More than I could figure out in my spare time! :)"

I knew our collective resources would be a tremendous help!!!! As well as being a great big HUG!!!!

Thanks again!

I'm glad we were able to help. Wish her good luck.

And tell her that our reactions to fear can put us in more danger than the situation itself. When things get really bad it is essential to keep a cool head, no matter what is happening. Fake it till you make it.

I once was very very very sleep deprived and dehydrated. Both conditions can cause hallucinations. I knew that the distortions I was seeing were not real, but knowing I couldn't trust my eyes sent me into a full blown panic. I didn't have any experience in functioning without being able to trust myself. I tried to get some medical help but was just shamed and threatened, and told to leave. It took a friend to point out to me, that the fear was putting me in more danger than the condition itself, and that if I couldn't get my emotions under control, no one was going to listen to me long enough to help me.

I started just going about my routine just trying to act as normal as possible. I was just amazed that everyone was acting normal back to me. The walls were moving, and it was kind of hard to walk with the ground tilting, but...everyone seemed willing to scan my purchases and take my money and bag my groceries, so...I just figured, okaaaaay...as long as I keep my emotions in check, I'm going to make it through this.

I finally got some sleep, and a social worker who was willing to talk to me, NOW that I was calm, helped me figure out that I was badly dehydrated, and I got better.

It is in the most extreme circumstances that we learn the most, and untimately gain more confidence in ourselves. From this I learned that no matter what is going on in my environment, or even wrong with my body, the safest thing I can do, is to keep the fear in check, my voice volume down, and pretend things are more normal that they are.

We can survive so much more than we think we can, when we are put to the test. We quickly learn new skills we don't have yet. We meet new people who give us advice. One discovery leads to another, and then another, but you have to make the first discovery before you can make the important second one and the life saving third one. It falls into place. Even homelessness falls into place. I've done it twice and lived to tell the tale.

So tell your friend to...just believe...and it WILL be okay. Different and hard and...sometimes funny and inspirational, and okay.

And like I said PM me an e-mail address if you think I can help.

"OPEN AND GO CURRICULUMS --for a busy stressed financially strapped mom would be things on the computer but with that many kids her best bet would be.....Plus she may not even have access to a computer. K12 only provides one computer for the whole family and from what I heard it is a lot of work. Connections Academy would require computer access as well."

K12 must vary state by state because here in OH each child gets their own computer, in fact we just got our two today!:) I have 2 friends that us K12 virtual school and love it. If she has internet access, this might be a good solution.

Also, you can contact Book Samaritan for assistance if she doesn't want to go with a virtual school.

I'd consider combining 1st & 3rd in Sonlight Core 1 (or 1+2) and combining 5th & 7th in Sonlight Core 6 (or 6+7). They've be renamed with letters now, so I think that'd be Core B & Core G. I am intending to suggest the first year of the 2 year world history sequences.

That'd get history & reading done.

However, it'd require about 4 hours/day from mom to get that stuff done! Is that feasible with the triplets at home?

I'd add Explode the Code workbooks for the 1st grader for phonics.

You'd likely need different readers for the 1st & 3rd grader. So, I'd get the core set appropriate to the 1st grader, and do a different more advanced reader set for the 3rd grader.

For math, I'd pick Singapore books at appropriate levels, or maybe Saxon if that'd be easier for the mom. Saxon is traditional and solid, so if the mom is new to singapore math & starting in the middle, Saxon might be a better bet.

I'd do a level of SonLight science for the older two kids. For the youngers, I'd stick with nature walks and nice science books from the library this year. (Let's Read & Find Out books are my fave for that age.)

Frankly, if the mom is new to hs'ing, I'd be very cautious about pushing it too hard. 4 kids to school plus young triplets sounds overwhelming to me just thinking about it, particularly if she is brand new to schooling.

TBH, IMHO, if mom doesn't have time to research options, I don't think she has time to homeschool. Just my 2c. Not everyone can do it. It requires a LOT of time and commitment, especially with a large family.

If her reasons for hs'ing are focused on just one or two of the children, maybe she could start with just one or two of the older kids to hs. If it goes well, she could pull the others out of school anytime.

Anyway, good luck!

TBH, IMHO, if mom doesn't have time to research options, I don't think she has time to homeschool. Just my 2c. Not everyone can do it. It requires a LOT of time and commitment, especially with a large family.

PS or private school just is NOT an option for some families, for all sorts of reasons. There is this unrealistic idea that there is an acceptable PS situation for all families to fall back on. I wish that were true. Wouldn't it be nice?

I know many moms who didn't have time or the ability to choose curriculum, but were great homeschool moms. They belonged to churches that encouraged families to use ACE Paces and the kids did great. There are families who have used Calvert/American, and families who used Robinson, also because their church or someone they trusted picked it for them. There are unschooling families that do nothing organized but math, and do fine.

And there are kids who go to PS and what? Too often, adding the expenses and reality of PS into a bad situation, makes the bad situation worse. I have yet to see a family that hit a hard spot--that had been previously homeschooling--find a solution in the PS. The trial just usually validates to them that homeschooling is the best they have to offer in the reality of their situation.

Stephanie I'm attacking this myth, not you. I thought about not saying what I thought, for lack of desire to be so aggressive towards your comment, but...it's just that this myth is a damaging one. I'm talking at the air, not YOU, if you know what I mean. :tongue_smilie:

CLE....good, cheap, space saving. Can buy only what you need.

Focus on math, LA for the year...or any trouble areas. But if there is a subject she loves...that speaks to her soul...include that!

Check w/ local hsing groups. Might have curricula to donate, help with coops, etc.

Calvert is very complete, although boring IMHO. Still, it's available through some virtual PS.

CLE....good, cheap, space saving. Can buy only what you need.

Focus on math, LA for the year...or any trouble areas. But if there is a subject she loves...that speaks to her soul...include that!

Check w/ local hsing groups. Might have curricula to donate, help with coops, etc.

Calvert is very complete, although boring IMHO. Still, it's available through some virtual PS.

:iagree:CLE math and language arts, plus books and dvd's from the library on science and social studies would be a good year and fairly cheap.

@OP If the family lives in Texas, possibly the Texarkana ISD Virtual Academy, that offers Calvert, would be an option for them. Probably Calvert has partners in other states too. Here is a link:

http://texarkanaisdvirtualacademy.com/

If that, or any other solution, requires that one child be on the computer, all day, then she needs another solution, since she doesn't have a budget for a small Home Network. GL to her and her family!