Menu

Any advice regarding Wheelock or Latin in general?

Schedule. Put aside an inviolable space of time in which to study, ideally early in the day, and stick to it.

Flashcards. Don't buy them. Make your own. That will make them 4x more useful in terms of memorizing.

Stress. Don't. Latin is a language, like any other, and therefore learnable by human beings. All of the logical things that you hear being a benefit of Latin also make it easier to learn than most other languages that are currently spoken. No jargon, hardly ever violates it's own rules, no slang, very few idioms.

Good luck.

Good timing - I was just getting overwhelmed reading the archives about Wheelock Latin. So what exactly do I need - student text (what edition), student workbook (which edition), tm or answer keys (where?)

And where did you find everything for a good price? (I didn't see any for sale here right now!)

Thanks,

Myra

Ds is taking Latin w/ Lukeion this year. Note: Lukeion wants you to buy the text, only the text, and nothing but the text. I am apparently thick in the head, b/c I can't get it w/ only the text.

I'm attempting to follow along. Here is what I bought to help me...

A Comprehensive Guide to Wheelock's Latin: Newly Revised for Wheelock's 6th Edition by Dale A. Grote - I think this is helpful, but probably not as helpful as the grammar book I listed below.

English Grammar for Students of Latin: The Study Guide for Those Learning Latin (English Grammar Series) by Norma Goldman, Jacqueline Morton - this one I find extremely helpful.

I did buy the vocab cards too--to have something easy to copy from, which sounds silly, but will make things easier for me..

Ds is taking Latin w/ Lukeion this year. Note: Lukeion wants you to buy the text, only the text, and nothing but the text. I am apparently thick in the head, b/c I can't get it w/ only the text.

I'm attempting to follow along. Here is what I bought to help me...

A Comprehensive Guide to Wheelock's Latin: Newly Revised for Wheelock's 6th Edition by Dale A. Grote - I think this is helpful, but probably not as helpful as the grammar book I listed below.

English Grammar for Students of Latin: The Study Guide for Those Learning Latin (English Grammar Series) by Norma Goldman, Jacqueline Morton - this one I find extremely helpful.

I did buy the vocab cards too--to have something easy to copy from, which sounds silly, but will make things easier for me..

My son took Latin 1 with Lukeion last year and will again this year (2, that is). The reason that you only need the text is because the instructor sets up a website with fairly extensive review games and such. With only the text and website, they estimate 7-11 hours per week on Latin. I imagine they figure that people just can't devote more than that to it.

My son took Latin 1 with Lukeion last year and will again this year (2, that is). The reason that you only need the text is because the instructor sets up a website with fairly extensive review games and such. With only the text and website, they estimate 7-11 hours per week on Latin. I imagine they figure that people just can't devote more than that to it.

I forgot about the games and review. I suppose if I did them I might not have so much trouble.

My study list is using the Wheelock 7th edition and Groton & May's 38 Latin stories, 5th edition. They recommend the study guide by Dale Grote, it is online for free. There are games, and exercises online, as well as audio, and the answers to the workbook and teachers guides are also there as well. There are study cards you can print from quizlet too. I hope I have everything I need. I'm trying to get my DD (who will be taking this next) to quiz me with flashcards. :D

Edited by melmichigan

I am getting ready to start Wheelock's Latin. I signed up for a study list to keep myself on track and accountable, from now until April of 2014. :svengo: Any suggestions or words of advice?

1) Never fall behind.

2) You need to memorize many things, and many different types of things. For memorizing paradigms, I like the Dowling method. It is gruesome, but it works. Get yourself a brand new notebook, and quickly memorize the noun paradigms, until they are in your short-term memory. Then, write them down: e.g. for 1st declension: casa, casae, casae, casam, casa, casae, casarum, casis, casas, casis (with macrons). Pick an example for each gender noun in each of the five cases, and the funny 3rd declension i-stems. Write out this table 100 times, over the course of several months (should take about 5 minutes each time). When you are done, you will never be able to forget them. Then do the verbs.

3) A little bit every day is better than a big push once a week.

I got to about Chapter 24 or so before the book stopped making sense to me. I wonder if there are other texts that might be better after that point. Wheelocks seems to give up on actually explaining about then. Maybe that was just a few bad chapters, but I never got beyond it to see.

Wheelocks also has very little practice in the actual text. For the first few chapters that isn't a big deal, but you'll probably want to be sure to do lots of outside practice from other sources after that.

1) Never fall behind.

2) You need to memorize many things, and many different types of things. For memorizing paradigms, I like the Dowling method. It is gruesome, but it works. Get yourself a brand new notebook, and quickly memorize the noun paradigms, until they are in your short-term memory. Then, write them down: e.g. for 1st declension: casa, casae, casae, casam, casa, casae, casarum, casis, casas, casis (with macrons). Pick an example for each gender noun in each of the five cases, and the funny 3rd declension i-stems. Write out this table 100 times, over the course of several months (should take about 5 minutes each time). When you are done, you will never be able to forget them. Then do the verbs.

Even though I'm not the OP, thanks for the idea.

Melissa,

Does the Study guide by Dale Grote have the answers there, too? I checked out your link and saw the exercises but not the answers.........hmmmmm. Are they right there in front of me and I'm just not seeing them?

And I can't seem to find the "the answers to the workbook and teachers guides are also there as well."

As you can tell - I don't want to purchase the workbook or student text if I don't have an answer key.

Help!

Myra

Melissa,

Does the Study guide by Dale Grote have the answers there, too? I checked out your link and saw the exercises but not the answers.........hmmmmm. Are they right there in front of me and I'm just not seeing them?

And I can't seem to find the "the answers to the workbook and teachers guides are also there as well."

As you can tell - I don't want to purchase the workbook or student text if I don't have an answer key.

Help!

Myra

So far the answers for the study guide are in the textbook, it's a condensed notes version of important points from the text and refers to sections to check your work. You shouldn't need an answer guide. (I am very new to this so maybe someone else will chime in about the study guide.) The free one online is the first edition, there is also a second edition you can purchase.

If you page down here you can request the teacher materials and answer keys from the publisher as a homeschooler, they are online and can be downloaded.

1) Never fall behind.

Wow, I read the Dowling link and I am overwhelmed. :auto: I need the guide for dummies.

Schedule. Put aside an inviolable space of time in which to study, ideally early in the day, and stick to it.

Flashcards. Don't buy them. Make your own. That will make them 4x more useful in terms of memorizing.

Yes! I second both of these recommendations. Also, you may want to simply make many lists of vocab words, because the cards will get unwieldy after a few chapters! It is so important that you help your mind categorize the nouns and verbs. Because it is difficult to keep straight which word is neuter and which is fem. or masculine. So if you have them together in a list with all of the 2nd declension neuter, then if will help you memorize.

I also highly recommend Dale Grote's book (he was my prof about 15 years ago). Since then I've become a teacher (both at a school and online) and I....love....love...LOVE latin. Don't know what is wrong with me!! :)

Vale!

Beth

(Over the years I developed a workbook that helps the student practice Wheelock's. 2 years ago I finally published it! :tongue_smilie: Studium Latinae is available just at Lulu )

Wow, I read the Dowling link and I am overwhelmed. :auto: I need the guide for dummies.

It is a lot of work, but the method is simple. Find the set of noun paradigms in the back of Wheelock. Memorize them. Write them down, over and over again.

Edited by GGardner

Just FYI. I followed the instuctions here, listed myself as a homeschooler, and received access to all the TE and answer guides to all the Wheelock books for 6th and 7th edition within 2 days. :)

I was just thinking yesterday--"I've got to search out the 7th edition answer key!" Have been teaching Wheelock's for years, and a while back had gone to the trouble of getting the 6th ed key( it was quite a hassle!) but now that the 7th ed. has come out I knew that I would need to update. So thanks for this link--it was so much easier! Dale Grote's guide is wonderful --though there is no separate key, he has some answers in the back of the published book. He was my prof back in 1998 and he is a marvelous teacher. Basically his book is a script of his wonderful down-to-earth explanations.

I have also published a text/workbook that has easy practice and helps for each chapter of wheelock's. It is Studium Latinae and available at Lulu. I don't usually promote it--just use it in my classes. Some have raved about how helpful it was, so I feel compelled to just mention it.

And - for more helps for studying Latin... at my website there is a page with many wonderful sites linked. At the bottom I've put my 2 favorite Resources

for Wheelock's. Please do persist in studying this wonderful book! It is difficult at first.... well, who am I kidding, its challenging all the way through!

But so worth it.

Hello, Beth. I went and purchased your inexpensive, well organized Latin workbook pdf through Lulu. Thank you for mentioning it.

Well, thank you! for the compliment--hope it helps. I developed it because of the need for lots of easy practice, and to break up some of the chapters in Wheelock's. Even though the self-tutorials in the back are there to provide that, they are not in a user-friendly format.

Bonum studium!

I found A Comprehensive Guide to Wheelock's Latin: Newly Revised for Wheelock's 6th Edition by Dale A. Grote to be very helpful. Parts of it are available online for free, but if you want the whole thing you need to purchase the book.

The workbook was helpful to me, but I had the answer key available to check my work (as well as a Latin instructor whose brain I could pick if needed). I'm not sure how useful it would be without some way of verifying your work. I believe as homeschoolers or self-studiers, we can get the answer keys from the publisher - at least you could when I did Wheelock a few years ago.

I've heard a lot of complaints about Wheelock over the years, but honestly, with the Grote book, most of the parts that could have been challenging weren't. I even learned some interesting and helpful tidbits that weren't in Wheelock from that book (some verb conjugations are not as irregular as they might seem at first, but you need the Grote book to understand this because Wheelock won't tell you).

Definitely make your own flashcards - I can't overemphasize how helpful that is.

I found A Comprehensive Guide to Wheelock's Latin: Newly Revised for Wheelock's 6th Edition by Dale A. Grote to be very helpful. Parts of it are available online for free, but if you want the whole thing you need to purchase the book.

..... with the Grote book, most of the parts that could have been challenging weren't. I even learned some interesting and helpful tidbits that weren't in Wheelock from that book (some verb conjugations are not as irregular as they might seem at first, but you need the Grote book to understand this because Wheelock won't tell you)...

Yes! I highly recommend Grote's book. It is a little expensive, but perhaps you can find a used copy. Also he keeps the first edition free online; he told me that he made that deal with the publisher, so that people would always be able to use it free if needed. I think that this has cost him many sales but he is just like that. :)

Dale was my professor when I studied Latin (back in 1996!!! yikes time flies) He is a great guy and a fabulous teacher! He is also an urban farmer living right in the middle of Charlotte. My husband was just over there the other day admiring his pigs---and almost bought a couple! but someone bought his whole litter, thank goodness! (Whew --dodged a bullet on that one. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Yes! I highly recommend Grote's book. It is a little expensive, but perhaps you can find a used copy. Also he keeps the first edition free online; he told me that he made that deal with the publisher, so that people would always be able to use it free if needed. I think that this has cost him many sales but he is just like that. :)

Dale was my professor when I studied Latin (back in 1996!!! yikes time flies) He is a great guy and a fabulous teacher! He is also an urban farmer living right in the middle of Charlotte. My husband was just over there the other day admiring his pigs---and almost bought a couple! but someone bought his whole litter, thank goodness! (Whew --dodged a bullet on that one. :)

Just wondering why no one has made a joke about Pig Latin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...