Menu

Sam's vs. Costco

What would you all do. We've been members of both. I think Costco wins hands down on a product to product comparison. However, here is my issue. Sam's is 18 miles away and Costco is 42 miles away. Would you stay at Costco and bit the fuel bullet, or would you just join Sams?

For me it would depend on how often I needed to go to that store, and how much room in the house to store purchased items.

I've shopped at both and I much prefer Costco, even more so since I just found out this morning they offer a concierge program which means 2 years free technical help by phone (to a call center in the US) for electronics purchased at their store. AND... they also extend manufacturer 1yr warranties on tv's and computers to 2yrs free coverage.

We LOVE Costco. It is about 30 minutes from my house, and I consider that just on the verge of not being worth it. We do however, buy all of our meats, and many of our other groceries from them. We end up spending so much, that we get a nice hefty rebate check from the membership program, and also one from our Costco Amex. So I guess it's worth it.

I might try Sam's for a year, and tag along to Costco with a friend as a guest on occassion?

GL! - Stacey in MA

I"m going to be in a similar - yet more extreme situation. Right now Costco is a 60 minute drive away. We goe about once a month - trying to combine it with another trip to town (Orlando). I much prefer Costco over Sam's, but have a few things that i get at Sam's only too. I can get to a Sam's in about 45 minutes going either north or south.

However, they are building our sam's club - that will be 1.5 miles from my house.

I'm going to have to learn to love a few more things at Sams, and really just hit Costco when we are in town already. I can't justify the $25 in gas any longer. For what we buy, even if we were paying gas to JUST go to Costco, we save money.

All that said, i share the Sam's Club membership with my mom. It was their (Sam's) suggestion for me to have the spouse card - they had no issues with it. My Dad can't drive any longer, so he didn't need a card anyway. OUr Costco membership is thru the business, so i'm just added on to that.

Back when i was paying for them both fully myself - we still felt it was worth having both.

So i'm not the one to ask i guess :lol:

I only go to Costco once a month so I would probably stick with Costco. We get our meat there so I wouldn't mind spending extra on gas. :auto:

If you go to Costco again, check out the Flat Out whole grain wraps in the bread section. They are so good and don't break apart when you roll them like normal whole wheat wraps. Yum!

If you really like costco can you make a few trips there but purchase more and are there other stores, errands or family to visit you can plan in that direction on your costco days to make it worth while? If you tend to purchse more at Costco because of brands and price it really may be worth while to go.

Sam's is just down the road from us, while Costco is way over there.

We let our Sam's membership lapse. It just didn't have what we were looking for...not that we always have something in mind, you know, but we tended to make the drive to Costco even to look for things.

I agree, Costco is superior to Sam's Club. Products are better, service is a tad better. We belong to both, but tend to shop at Sam's due to convenience. They're only approx 3 miles apart, but it's difficult to get to our Costco (frontage road, one way). Time and convenience are important. Why stress over extra time on the road? These shops should make our lives better. IMO. If it doesn't do that, shop elsewhere.

A choice between the two, lucky you. Is that 42 miles each way? We are Sam's members here...No Costco choice here.

What would you all do. We've been members of both. I think Costco wins hands down on a product to product comparison. However, here is my issue. Sam's is 18 miles away and Costco is 42 miles away. Would you stay at Costco and bit the fuel bullet, or would you just join Sams?

I have not spent one dime in a Wal-Mart in over seven years (and it's been difficult, I won't deny that! We've gone without on several occasions, and waited until we could get to another store) so for me, I wouldn't join Sam's. Never been in one, but I've never been disappointed with the quality of Costco.

Astrid