Menu

Pencil Sharpeners

Favorite Pencil Sharpener  

1. 1. Favorite Pencil Sharpener

• Kikkerland Camera Pencil Sharpener
    • Staedtler Tub Pencil Sharpener
    • Maped Classic 1-Hole Metal Pencil Sharpener
    • Other Suggestion/s

Cannot stand pencils and most pencil sharpeners. Not sure which sharpener to get next. The ones that we usually get at Costco really and truly stink.

Which of these are your favorites?

If not any of these, I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you so much.

Option 1 - Kikkerland

Option 2 - Staedtler Tub Pencil Sharpener

Option 3 - Mapped Classic

I now realize that I could just get all 3 and see which one we like the most. Guess I have extra time on my hands and feel like posting a thread. :)

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I just looked at the pencil sharpener we've been using for at least 7 or 8 years. It's an electric Panasonic.

Manual pencil sharpeners don't last. My kids are constantly buying new ones, but of course we need them sometimes - can't take the electric on a car or camping trip. My son prefers mechanical pencils. My daughter uses a lot of colored pencils so she is always looking for a new sharpener!

Haven't tried any of the ones in your poll!

I love the dual sized pencil sharpener that came with my pack of Ticonderoga pencils. The pencils are oversized, so they need the larger opening. The sharpener is excellent!

I've used electric and battery powered sharpeners in the past, but they eat up the pencils too quickly. I like the hand-crank ones, but you can't take them along when you school on the road.

I have the Staedtler Tub Pencil Sharpener for 2 years now and I have to say they are amazing!!! For a small price they sure perform well. I was going to invest in an expensive electric sharpener but decided to try the Steadtler one since they reviews were so good at amazon and it was a lot cheaper. I am glad I did. 2 years and still working great!

Julia

I still stand by this one...haven't tried the others but have tried plenty and they don't work well.

Pencil Sharpener

Thank you for this. Amazon carries it also, which is good, since the above link is pretty much all out of stock.

Quick question: will this work for thick colored pencils?

Thank you all so much.

There was one person on here who bought it that said she was having troubles with colored pencils but that has not been my experience nor an experience that I have heard from others. I am thinking she might have had a bad one, I don't know.

I use Crayola colored pencils and have never had a problem. I have never tried other colored pencils.

I know he is low on stock but is expecting more soon.

HTH!

There was one person on here who bought it that said she was having troubles with colored pencils but that has not been my experience nor an experience that I have heard from others. I am thinking she might have had a bad one, I don't know.

I use Crayola colored pencils and have never had a problem. I have never tried other colored pencils.

I know he is low on stock but is expecting more soon.

HTH!

Thanks, Michele. :)

Guest CarolineEllison

I use pencils of various sizes when I do sketches in my art book. And I always do the sketches with with this handy pencil sharpener at the ready. I am pretty fixated about always having a sharp edge when I draw or write with a pencil. So naturally, this is the perfect companion to have for someone like me. The bottom case holds a good amount of pencil shavings. This beats any electric sharpeners I have used over the years and it is portable so you can take it anywhere. Plus it is very durable. I have not noticed any dullness in the blades even after using it for about a year.

I have used MANY different sharpeners - manual and electric, with varying results. The BEST I have found is this one (and it is only like $10):

http://www.dickblick.com/products/alvin-glass-inkwell-sharpener/?clickTracking=true#reviews

Also, part of the issue is the type of pencil you are using. I have had the best luck with the paper mate mirado black warrior. They are hard to find - I order mine from Amazon - but they last, sharpen nicely, and don't break ever 10 seconds.

I still stand by this one...haven't tried the others but have tried plenty and they don't work well.

Pencil Sharpener

:iagree:

Asked for this one last Christmas. It works great. Sometimes we have trouble with colored pencils - just have to take it out before it fully sharpens. It stops sharpening after putting a really, really sharp point on the pencil. That is often too sharp for colored pencils. I'm just careful to stop it early.

Edited by taffnus

We have one of those classic metal school pencil sharpeners with multiple hole sizes similar to this one mounted in the kitchen. That thing is a powerhouse, and has lasted us all 8 years homeschooling and still going strong!

As far as portable ones, we like the metal Staedler ones.