Menu

Where to find ALUM?

When I was growing up every drug store and grocery had it. McCormick makes it. On line I can find 20 bottles of McCormick or a whole pound for 20 bucks.

Any bright ideas on who would carry it? Hubby has gone to Walgreen's, Rite Aid, Safeway, Thriftway, Alberson's and Fred Meyers and they all look at him like he asking for hummingbird's tongues.

Help.

Barring advice, anyone willing to mail me "a few grains" of it to mix with a teaspoon of water for looking at under the microscope?

All I've seen before are these little tiny bottles that they sell in the baking aisle of the grocery store for $3-4. I haven't grown alum crystals on a string but I did grow a small sugar crystal on a string. I've been thinking about an alum with a broken highlighter juice in it. I've also bought some wooden skewers to see if it'll grow on that instead of a string. It would sure look cooler.

http://www.mccormick.com/products/herbs-and-spices/spices-a-to-z/alum.aspx

1lb for $3 at nuts.com

I don't know what shipping costs are,

$9.00 Hubby has been checking as he's been out and about.

I think I may call the small family chain of hardware stores which are more rural than us. He goes by there now and then.

BTW, this is for an interesting little book called The Microscope Book by Shar Levine and Leslie Johnstone. We've made a microtome out of a bolt and a spool used for thread.

That's weird that he couldn't find it at Safeway because I'm pretty sure that's where I bought mine. I also saw it at Walmart later where it was much cheaper of course.

I just bought some last week at Safeway. It was with all the other spices. Nice that they alphabetize them on the shelf! I paid about $3.75 for a small bottle.

We have that book too. Our microtome didn't turn out so well. I will have to look for this experiment.

Hubby got a bolt with *fine*threads and one that just fit the hole of the spool.

The Alum is for "Crystal Gazings", the first one in the geology section.

I buy alum at Walmart and my Mom buys it at Kroger. We keep it on hand for canker sores.

DINGDINGDING, Walmart had them, and I found out my dyslexic husband was searching for "Ulam".

BTW, the Ampad "Project Organizer Walmart is selling is on nice paper with a hard back, is semi-Cornell ruled (no spot at the bottom), has tear-away pages. Thanks to whomever pointed this out to me on the Cornell Notes thread!