Menu

Expectations when buying used..

I don't expect this board to moderate anything, it's made clear in the rules. I'm just looking for general expectations here..

I recently purchased something and when it arrived, the seller had neglected to mention heavy marking and highlighting. The books showed heavy shelf wear and overall were used pretty hard.

Now, in the sellers defense, I didn't ask. They had noted in their listing that there were a few pages in one workbook with some writing, which I was fine with. Because they mentioned that writing, I assumed the rest was mark free. I ASSumed wrong.

I messaged said seller a couple nights ago, and offered to pay shipping back to them for a full refund. I stated my reasons plainly..

I can see that the sellers last activity was in PMs, but I have received no response. :( I'm all worried and antsy now. I sent a second pm clarifying why I was disappointed, and even stating that I realized we both were off by not being totally clear about condition or expectations.

Were my expectations unreasonable? Was this totally my own fault for not asking to be more clear in the listing? I'm new to buying here, so it just might be the standard for used books to be in marked condition. I'm not sure. :(

As both a seller and buyer of used curriculum, I would have expected the description to be more detailed. Had I personally known about heavy marking and heavy shelf wear I would not have purchased the item either. I try to buy gently used items I can re-sell again myself.

And when listing items, I give an accurate description, similar to how things are described on ebay. (kind of like the golden rule! :D)

I hope you are able to get a refund, or at the very least, use the book without it falling apart during the school year. Let us know what happens!

I would have assumed the same thing you did and be looking for a refund too. I think you're being generous offering to pay return postage. Did you pay via Paypal? If so, refunds are not difficult to get. I prefer paying that way in order to have extra protection.

I would have assumed the same thing you did and be looking for a refund too. I think you're being generous offering to pay return postage. Did you pay via Paypal? If so, refunds are not difficult to get. I prefer paying that way in order to have extra protection.

I did pay with paypal, and I paid shipping. The lot was offered at a price ppd, and then lowered. When I asked, she wanted the lowered price, plus shipping.. which really left very little discount to her original price. That might have been a red flag.:glare:

I paid the asking price plus shipping, so I asked for a FULL refund (plus shipping) but did offer to pay return. So we'd both only be out the shipping cost one way.

I truly sweat any kind of confrontation. I am just so discouraged that my PM wasn't responded to.

As a buyer and seller, I would expect more info on the condition of the book. I would also assume that this seller wouldn't expect to get a positive response and might have been looking for a quick, one time sell.

I try to list everything when I sell an item. I like to purchase like new and would expect to offer something in the same condition to others.

I'm sorry this happened. I hope you do find a solution!:grouphug:

You shouldn't have to pay to ship it back to her. I don't think Paypal would expect you to do so. I would have assumed the same thing, since she mentioned the marking in the workbook, and not the other.

There was a thread just a few weeks back on the same thing from the seller's POV. It was pretty unaminous it is on the seller to clearly describe the condition and if they didn't the entire responsibility is on them, not on you. It is expected on Amazon, Ebay or anywhere else to describe condition, to leave out details is essentially lying by omission.

I just started really using Ebay this year. I know on there before I start to bid I ask the seller if there are any writing, tears, rips, missing pages. I just assume it is my fault if they send me something that has one of those things and I didn't ask. I guess I just want to cover my own butt and don't want to have to deal with problems.

Seller has not logged in since yesterday. Their last activity was in PMs, so I'm sure my message was received. I sent another asking for a response in 24 hours or I would just leave feedback and open a dispute. I hate this.

Just bumping to let you know seller has responded and has asked for time to consider a response, so I will wait to hear. Thank you for your thoughts on this. I just wanted to be sure my expectations weren't unreasonable.

Just bumping to let you know seller has responded and has asked for time to consider a response, so I will wait to hear. Thank you for your thoughts on this. I just wanted to be sure my expectations weren't unreasonable.

Don't give her too much time. You don't want to lose out on being able to file a claim with Paypal, which you are well within your rights to do. Feedback left here should also consider her response. If she takes responsibility without your having to file a claim, give her decent feedback (AFTER you have your money back). Other buyers need to know.

Perhaps she is deciding what to do? Maybe she doesn't have the money yet?

I like to give the benefit of the doubt. Is she a long time member? Maybe she didn't see the highlighting as a deal breaker. How much highlighting are we talking? I'm a huge ebayer, so if something is a deal breaker, I always ask about it.

With PayPal it may be difficult to get your money back. If she can prove she sent it, it will be your word against hers as to what kind of condition this used item should have been in.

I hope you get it all worked out!!

I like to give the benefit of the doubt. Is she a long time member? Maybe she didn't see the highlighting as a deal breaker. How much highlighting are we talking? I'm a huge ebayer, so if something is a deal breaker, I always ask about it.

With PayPal it may be difficult to get your money back. If she can prove she sent it, it will be your word against hers as to what kind of condition this used item should have been in.

I agree she might not have the money if she spent it.

In general IME, Paypal will side with the buyer in a dispute.

I would not allow a lot of time to pass before opening a dispute - a day or two at most. You can always close the dispute without action if things work out.

I like to give the benefit of the doubt. Is she a long time member? Maybe she didn't see the highlighting as a deal breaker. How much highlighting are we talking?

I thought PayPal was sent instantly, or close to it. The buyer gave the seller the money, so she should already have it, and be able to reimburse instantly. The OP mentioned the buyer mentioned minor highlighting in another item, so I think it was safe to assume, since that was mentioned, the rest did not have it.

I agree she might not have the money if she spent it.

In general IME, Paypal will side with the buyer in a dispute.

I would not allow a lot of time to pass before opening a dispute - a day or two at most. You can always close the dispute without action if things work out.

I guess I'm different.. I don't spend money from a sale until I know all is final, including receipt and the buyer receiving it as it should be. Because of seeing so many issues, though, it is rare for me to do a non-local sale.

I guess I'm different.. I don't spend money from a sale until I know all is final, including receipt and the buyer receiving it as it should be. Because of seeing so many issues, though, it is rare for me to do a non-local sale.

I don't spend money until I'm sure all is well either, but I don't know that we're the norm... or if she's the exception if we're the norm.

I sell a bit online - or I used to anyway - and only had one problem once when youngest took out an important section to a notebook and I didn't realize it. I refunded all the money immediately and let the buyer keep what she had anyway (I had no idea where youngest put that section!).

If things are described well, people know what they are buying and there's rarely an issue.

I buy a quite a bit used online too and it saves me a bundle - esp with college books where new ones can cost $300 or more - and I got used, but like new for $65 (this was just yesterday).

There was a lot of highlighting, and a lot of pencil and pen marking. There was scribbling in one of the books.. This was way more than mentioned. The only book that mentioned markings was ONE, out of a few. One of the books was actually a discarded library book, stamped 'discard'. I was totally unprepared for that.

The seller has decided their listing was fair, and that I was welcome to relist, but they will not refund. She pointed out that she is a long time member, and that she took a risk in selling to me as a new member..

I will leave negative feedback. What a crappy experience.

The seller has decided their listing was fair, and that I was welcome to relist, but they will not refund. She pointed out that she is a long time member, and that she took a risk in selling to me as a new member..

Wow, that was a cheap shot.

I will leave negative feedback. What a crappy experience.

I'd definitely leave negative feedback for future buyers (like me) who take feedback into account pretty heavily. Then I'd open the Paypal dispute and work to get my money back legally.

If they don't list markings in a book (or books) that is their problem as the seller - not yours as the buyer.

I'd definitely leave negative feedback for future buyers (like me) who take feedback into account pretty heavily. Then I'd open the Paypal dispute and work to get my money back legally.

If they don't list markings in a book (or books) that is their problem as the seller - not yours as the buyer.

Yeah, I was able to find the original post and I would have fallen for it too. She made it sound like it was a great deal and let's just say the package was far from cheap.

Yeah, I was able to find the original post and I would have fallen for it too. She made it sound like it was a great deal and let's just say the package was far from cheap.

I directed her to this thread, and she has read it.. She feels she is being fair, and was prayerful about it.

I understand, and if the money is gone, it's gone. This has been hurtful for me too. Ugh.

I hope this doesn't scare other sellers far from me!

I directed her to this thread, and she has read it.. She feels she is being fair, and was prayerful about it.

I understand, and if the money is gone, it's gone. This has been hurtful for me too. Ugh.

Well, there are other avenues. Would you be satisfied if the seller agreed to a partial refund based on the condition of the items? I like to use the ebay/half.com condition rating as a guideline when I'm buying or selling used materials. Maybe you can use it to come to an objective agreement of the condition of the items based on concrete and quantifiable characteristics. Here it is in full, FYI:

Item Quality - Books

Brand New

Never read or used

In perfect, mint, undamaged condition

Publisher’s remainder marks are acceptable

Like New

Used but still in perfect mint condition inside and out

Very Good

Appears new from the outside with minimal marking inside

Books with these marks:

Autograph

Name of previous owner

Underlining on 10% of pages or less

Highlighting on 10% of pages or less

Institutional ID stamps and library checkout card pockets

Good

Books with minimal damage

Scuffed covers and missing dust jackets

Cover can't be creased, torn or have holes

Minimal crease or tears to majority of the pages

No missing pages

Acceptable

Books with damage

Creased, torn, or holes in the cover

Books with damaged spines

Books with more than 10% of pages highlighted or underlined

Books that have been refurbished

Books that have been modified for library circulation

Mylar covers

Attached dust jackets

Embossed covers or numbered book spines

Unacceptable – The following items cannot be sold on half.com:

Books without covers

Books with missing pages

Books with stains or water damage

Item Quality - Textbooks

Brand New

Never read or used

In perfect, mint, undamaged condition

Publisher’s remainder marks are acceptable

All access codes for the book and the companion CD need to be valid for the buyer of the book

Like New

Used but still in perfect mint condition inside and out

Access codes for the book and the companion CD can be expired or no longer valid for the buyer of the book

CD doesn't need to be sealed

CD can't be scratched

Very Good

Companion CD must still be included if the book came with one

Books that still appear new from the outside with minimal marking inside

Name of previous owner

Underlining of 10% of pages or less

Highlighting of 10% of pages or less

Institutional ID stamps and library checkout card pockets

Good

If the book originally came with a companion CD it may be missing

Seller needs to note the missing CD in the listing

Books with minimal damage

Scuffed covers, bent corners, and missing dust jackets

The cover can't be creased, torn or have holes

Minimal creases or tears to majority of the pages

No missing pages

Acceptable

Books with damage

Creased, torn, or holes in the cover

Books with damaged spines

Books with more than 10% of pages highlighted or underlined

Books that have been refurbished

Books that have been modified for library circulation

Mylar covers

Attached dust jackets

Embossed covers or numbered book spines

Unacceptable – The following items cannot be sold on Half.com:

Stained books and books with water damage

Books without covers

Includes books that have been placed into a three-ring binder

Textbook reproductions

Electronic copies or other downloadable editions

Alternate editions

Teachers' editions

International editions

Support material such as test banks

Solution manuals should be listed separately by their unique ISBN number

LOL

That was me :)

Yes, the buyer and I reached a mutual agreement. I refund her everything minus the shipping. So I didn't have to pay to send her a free book. And she got the book for what she would have paid had she known about the writing. And now I make sure to do a detailed description on every item :)

It sounds like your seller is being unresonable, and I would definitly leave her negetive feedback, so nobody else gets burned.

There was a thread just a few weeks back on the same thing from the seller's POV. It was pretty unaminous it is on the seller to clearly describe the condition and if they didn't the entire responsibility is on them, not on you. It is expected on Amazon, Ebay or anywhere else to describe condition, to leave out details is essentially lying by omission.

This is what I found written with you sending a pm about it:

Just finished our year with ECC and are ready to pass it on.

Included is:

TM 1st edition ( all student and teacher pages in back of manual) Hero Tales Window on the World Illustrated World Atlas Classroom Atlas Maps and Globes Geography from A to Z ( two copies of this book for your children to share) A Trip Around the World Another Trip Around the World World Geography Wild Places Living World Encyclopedia Global Art Wee Sing Around the world

Also have the Complete Book of Animals that has maybe one or two pages written on, the rest we did orally and a Draw Write Now book 3 that I will throw in.

The only things you will need are the wall map (any world map will work) and the flag sticker book (we never had one and didn't feel it was missing).

Asking $190ppd OBO Thanks, Micah

Then the price got dropped to $170, but you said you had to pay postage at that "lower" rate.

Is this it? If so, and the condition is what you say it is, I'd be opening a Paypal dispute pronto. For that kind of $$ and that description, the books should have been in nice used shape. If they were full of highlighting, scribbles, and one book had been a library discard, it SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOTED in the ad. It was not.

If I'm wrong about which thread it is, let me know so I can erase a bit of this. I wanted to copy it before anyone edited it (an edit will show at the bottom, but...) You might need the original text for your Paypal dispute.

You should easily win (unless you paid by personal paypal instead of goods and services - then Paypal won't dispute anything since no goods or services were supposed to have changed hands).

Definitely leave feedback.

She feels she is being fair, and was prayerful about it.

Another cheap shot. And I was afraid to overstep by copying and pasting the original text, but Creekland had a good point that you will want the original text. You should probably go do a printscreen capture before it disappears.

This is what I found written with you sending a pm about it:

Then the price got dropped to $170, but you said you had to pay postage at that "lower" rate.

Is this it? If so, and the condition is what you say it is, I'd be opening a Paypal dispute pronto. For that kind of $$ and that description, the books should have been in nice used shape. If they were full of highlighting, scribbles, and one book had been a library discard, it SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOTED in the ad. It was not.

If I'm wrong about which thread it is, let me know so I can erase a bit of this. I wanted to copy it before anyone edited it (an edit will show at the bottom, but...) You might need the original text for your Paypal dispute.

You should easily win (unless you paid by personal paypal instead of goods and services - then Paypal won't dispute anything since no goods or services were supposed to have changed hands).

Definitely leave feedback.

This is the listing, and honestly, I hope she continues to read this, because I'm NOT being unfair or unreasonable.

And yes, I filed a claim, and payed for the items as "goods".

I would have listed these items as 'acceptable'. I can read through the mess, but there are creased covers, the large atlas was covered with tape (no doubt to sturdy it) but the tape is peeling.

It's just a bigfatmess.:glare:

This is the listing, and honestly, I hope she continues to read this, because I'm NOT being unfair or unreasonable.

And yes, I filed a claim, and payed for the items as "goods".

I would have listed these items as 'acceptable'. I can read through the mess, but there are creased covers, the large atlas was covered with tape (no doubt to sturdy it) but the tape is peeling.

It's just a bigfatmess.:glare:

You are definitely in the right and getting what you did would irritate me as well - esp with the response you've said you've received.

Keep at it. You will win. I need to sign off now, but wanted you to know I buy and sell a fair bit and what you are experiencing is not typical. Don't be discouraged.

This was happening to me all the time and I stopped buying used. I even had a lady tell me "no writing" and there was a large phone number in red ink on the front cover of the book!

I have decided to buy new, gently use my books and not write in them or on them AT ALL and try to get 50% back when I sell it the next year. I know it blesses the buyer, too, to have something in very good condition. Not to say I didn't have a few excellent used purchases, but the disappointment is huge when you are lied to.

Blessings,

I have decided to buy new, gently use my books and not write in them or on them AT ALL and try to get 50% back when I sell it the next year. I know it blesses the buyer, too, to have something in very good condition. ,

I do this too. As long as I've used something (books, clothing, furniture, etc) for at least a year, regardless of condition, I automatically deduct 50%. Then from there I deduct even more or just donate it if the condition is worse than gently used. I figure, why should someone pay more to use my used books than I paid net to use it brand new? Now, I may knock off 10% or 20% from brand new if the book or curriculum was never used or started and then quickly discarded for poor fit. 10% off for like new and 20% off for minor shelf wear. But notes, answers and/or highlights in a book automatically knocks 50% right off the top and the price goes down from there. This is true in my world whether I'm a buyer or seller.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

This was happening to me all the time and I stopped buying used. I even had a lady tell me "no writing" and there was a large phone number in red ink on the front cover of the book!

I have decided to buy new, gently use my books and not write in them or on them AT ALL and try to get 50% back when I sell it the next year. I know it blesses the buyer, too, to have something in very good condition. Not to say I didn't have a few excellent used purchases, but the disappointment is huge when you are lied to.

Blessings,

:iagree:I have made purchases from homeschool classifieds, that were pretty much this. They were total blessings, and perhaps spoiled me a bit. I have done a lot of fsot on cloth diapering boards as well, and really have enjoyed my experiences. There is a bit of a thrill when you know you are giving some one a really good deal.

:iagree:I have made purchases from homeschool classifieds, that were pretty much this. They were total blessings, and perhaps spoiled me a bit. I have done a lot of fsot on cloth diapering boards as well, and really have enjoyed my experiences. There is a bit of a thrill when you know you are giving some one a really good deal.

The key to having satisfied buyers is to describe things as super accurately as possible - perhaps even making them sound a little worse than they actually look in person. When someone knows what they are getting for what they are paying, then they are happy. When someone gets something in that's in worse condition than described, then they get irritated - even if it's something they might have bought had it been described correctly.

Try to shop with those who have tons of positive feedback and look carefully at any negative or neutral feedback.

I see you are new here and want to give a heads up. I hope kricau posts a link to the thread she had because I cannot find it. However, there is an expectation here that the SELLER not the buyer describe the condition of the book, as is expected on Amazon and such. It is not the buyers responsibility to question everything that might be wrong.

I see you are new here and want to give a heads up. I hope kricau posts a link to the thread she had because I cannot find it. However, there is an expectation here that the SELLER not the buyer describe the condition of the book, as is expected on Amazon and such. It is not the buyers responsibility to question everything that might be wrong.

Well, if paypal disagrees with me, I'm out $180. Seeing as it wasn't an Ebay transaction, and I received the items, I don't know how much hope I can possibly have. I offered to post pics and accurate descriptions.. the seller could refund me the difference, but she feels I could still get $180.

I think I'll go Best Offer if I end up with them. Best I can do. :)

Yuck. I have to say, I like buying from used book umbrella type websites (Amazon marketplace, alibris, abebooks) or actual stores (like Powells) with a credit card. I haven't had many problems buying from other hsing parents, though. As an aside, I can tell that sellers I've bought from on ebay or half.com are hsers. (One sent me an email about how fabulous the books were! ha)

The key to having satisfied buyers is to describe things as super accurately as possible - perhaps even making them sound a little worse than they actually look in person. When someone knows what they are getting for what they are paying, then they are happy. When someone gets something in that's in worse condition than described, then they get irritated - even if it's something they might have bought had it been described correctly.

Try to shop with those who have tons of positive feedback and look carefully at any negative or neutral feedback.

:iagree: I also offer to send pictures of the items for sale.

Paypal found in the seller's favor.

Final little update. I'm very frustrated. I will be photographing the items and offer them on FSOT for a best offer. I know someone will be able to use them, and they will be getting a good deal.. I will not charge $180.

This is the link to my current for sale post, I had updated the old one after all that happened. Let me know if those descriptions look good to ya'll???

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=407053

Oh man that stinks!!!!

I am so sorry for you :(

Paypal found in the seller's favor.

Final little update. I'm very frustrated. I will be photographing the items and offer them on FSOT for a best offer. I know someone will be able to use them, and they will be getting a good deal.. I will not charge $180.

It's okay. I won't lose sleep over this. I was the one burned. I was even willing to eat shipping and return it for her to resell, but now that the claim is closed, she's got the money, and I'll sell it at a fair price.

Please do still leave negative feedback for her, here on the WTM forum. And if she's blocked you to prevent you from doing this, contact the moderators. For the protection of all of us.

Please do still leave negative feedback for her, here on the WTM forum. And if she's blocked you to prevent you from doing this, contact the moderators. For the protection of all of us.

We already both left eachother negatives. :tongue_smilie: So now we're both marked!