Menu

What have been your good garage sale finds this summer?

Saturday I went and found a set of Saxon 8/7 brand new Student Edition math books. (I needed to order them for my son for the fall, just hadn't) I looked and it appears there is no difference between that and the homeschool edition according to the samples, so I'm going with it. Hey, for $1, we'll deal.

That was my best find of the summer so far. A few odds and ends, dishes, brand new shoes for my son, clothes.

Anyone else like to garage sale or Goodwill and find some good stuff recently?

Waterproof leather Keen sandals that retail for about $90 for $2! They are so comfortable that I could actually see myself paying full price to replace them someday. Hmm, maybe that means they weren't such a great deal... :lol:

A set of Duplos w/numbers and quantity pictures I've been drooling over for months, new in package, for $4 rather than $25.

A high quality red felt cowboy hat for my Woody/Jessie loving toddler for $1.

We did a lot of garage saling to furnish the house we just moved into. Dh spent a weekend on an army base and hit some great sales there. He bought an elliptical machine for $50, weight bench with full set of weights for $20, couch and chair set for $80, beautiful loveseat for $50, like-new Pottery Barn rug for $40, another lovely rug for $15, and lots of other stuff. I bought a ton of school stuff from a retiring teacher - that was super cool :).

Yesterday I bought a Vita-Mix with the extra dry unit ($80), a rock tumbler ($2), and was given a set of McGuffey Readers for free.

A collection of poetry books for 5 cents each (Frost, Whitman,Sandburg, Yeats, Rossetti, etc.) all brand new, never used!

A barely used set of golf clubs for ds15. It's a big deal because he hits left-handed. $20.00

A beautiful clipper ship picture in a gorgeous walnut frame. $1.00

Cut glass vase for a dollar. :D

Some assorted silver serving pieces and a 12-piece place setting of stainless for $5.00.

I haven't gone as much this year. I used to go with a group of friends, but that has fallen by the wayside. (long story)

Best find of all was when I made dh stop by a foreclosed house with lots of boxes by the curb in my mom's neighborhood. Found an original Spirograph set, a blue Mason jar, two china serving platters, and four brand new gallon cans of Behr paint.

My best find of the summer was a light meter that I have been looking at for awhile. It's listed on Amazon for $300. I got it for $2!!! The thrift shop I found it in supports a kitty rescue ranch. Little to say they will be getting a nice donation from me this year. If they had any idea what it was they could have gotten a lot more for it. So I'm going to donate to them what I was willing to pay for it used.

Computer desk ($10) and office chair ($5) for my 19yo that she'll take to college with her in the fall for her unfurnished apartment and desk ($10) for my 16yo (and that thing is never moving again because it was solid wood) and an office chair that went with it for my 14yo.

My 14yo already had an Ikea chair that she swapped with the 16yo for the office chair because she needed something with a lower back to be able to sit in it for guitar/banjo practice.

I hit the mother-load the other day.

We have an awesome used book store in Knoxville. Anyway, they have a huge free box out front for things they won't give credit for. Sometimes people just dump their stuff right in there.

I found complete newest editions of Apologia Biology, Apologia Chemistry, and Saxon Algebra 2, with answer keys. Free. Great condition. :D That box has fed so much of my book/curriculum addiction..lol