Menu

Louisiana?

So, there is a possibility (a strong one, I'm just in denial) that we will be moving to LA. I am NOT happy. It's a necessary evil, for dh's career. However, all of our family and friends are here, and it's very hard for me to make new friends. We have an amazing hs support group, i have three of the MOST amazing friends....Anyway.

I am looking for information about LA. Good and bad. I will be visiting once before we move, but basically I'm going sight unseen. Dh is moving three months early to set up, and the kids and I will follow. We will be in or very close to New Orleans. I know nothing about it. Aside from Mardi GRAS, which is not a plus. Is there a good HS community? Fun (inexpensive) things to do with kids (7,4, and 2)? Any great communities we should know about? I guess I need a realistic idea of what it's like. The one I have in my head is not good lol. I need to either confirm my fears and prepare for the next three months, or learn some positives and look forward to them.

Thank you so much! Also, if you live there and feel more comfortable PMing me, I'd appreciate that too. :001_smile:

Honestly, if you go in with that attitude, you're going to hate it and be miserable.

We spent five years in LA, albeit on the other side of the state. We moved there by choice, were enthused about it, but still received a lot of the "you're not from here" cold shoulder. I believe that had more to do with WHERE we were than the state itself. I imagine New Orleans is more used to people moving in and out. We moved out when the oil spill happened because my dh's industry tanked and he went from solid work to no work in a very short period of time.

Louisiana is a beautiful state. We had a yard that could have been a nature preserve. We were close to a state park that was breathtaking. There are two ways to homeschool in LA, very easy laws to follow. I have no info on NO, but I know there are a tons of things to do there. N.O. is not just Mardi Gras.

The idea that freaked me out the most before we moved there was alligators. Honestly, they bothered me less than I thought. We didn't swim in the rivers, some people would waterski on them. We had two alligators in the state park, they were very tame and would hang out with the turtles. Right before we moved we had two tiny alligators live at the end of our driveway, they were about a foot and two foot long. We had a small drainage ditch that always held water. They went away after a few weeks.

Here's a link to the statewide christian homeschool group. You should be able to find some local information there as well. http://www.chefofla.org/

Thanks for replying. Yes, I am trying very hard to find the positive....:001_huh: i know N.O. isnt all Mardi Gras...It's kind of like when someone says they live in Orlando, and everyone asks if they go to Disney all the time lol.;) My dh WORKS at Disney and I *still* haven't gone is well over a year lol.

Alligators don't bother me at all-we are in Florida right now, and have an alligator friend in our neighborhood lol.

I love the idea of state parks, preserves, ect. That's definitely something we will check into.

Thanks for replying. Yes, I am trying very hard to find the positive....:001_huh: i know N.O. isnt all Mardi Gras...It's kind of like when someone says they live in Orlando, and everyone asks if they go to Disney all the time lol.;) My dh WORKS at Disney and I *still* haven't gone is well over a year lol.

Alligators don't bother me at all-we are in Florida right now, and have an alligator friend in our neighborhood lol.

I love the idea of state parks, preserves, ect. That's definitely something we will check into.

Well you're probably used to a lot of things many people would think of as negative, weather, bugs, threat of hurricanes, etc.

The only thing we were truly disappointed with were the beaches. The beaches in the state were okay beaches, you could drive right on the beach, but you were advised not to get in the water because of bacteria warnings. They update the warning every week and every week we could go the warning were up.

We went to Galveston for the beach. You could easily head to MS or AL to get some good beaches. We ended up in Destin for vacation the year before the oil spill.

DH would sometimes bring home fresh shrimp. Sometimes the shrimpers would come to his work, you could also go to the gas station and buy it. Crayfish shops pop up on the corner during season - I'm not a fan of crayfish though.

I've never been to NOLA but my dd is serving with a missions organization there and she loves it! She loves the city, she loves the people. I know she will be very sad to leave them in August when her term there is over. Again, I'm not familiar with the area but she lives on what is called the North Shore and drives into NO for her job.

There are lots of homeschoolers in the New Orleans metro area. We live on the northshore of Lake Pontchartrain, where many families choose to live. You can join the yahoo group for this area (St. Tammany Parish Homeschoolers: groups.yahoo.com/group/STP_Homeschoolers/) and the ladies there can answer any questions you may have. If my memory is correct, a few of them are members of southshore based groups and can point you in the right direction for information if you plan to live in New Orleans.

Good luck with your move!

I'm an hour away from NOLA. Just remember, a place is what you make it. If you go in with a poor attitude, it will not work for you.

For Mardi Gras, you don't have to experience it on Bourbon Street. Just remember there are a ton of smaller communities just outside of New Orleans and their Mardi Gras celebrations can be as good or better than right in New Orleans. I often like their small town parades better than the big ones.

Good luck to you!

I lived in Gretna on the west bank. It was one of my very favorite places to live. The the neighborhood was Timberlane. I loved the country club which has a pool, golf course, restaurant and many community activities.

It is such a shame that Dh was so miserable at that job, otherwise, I'd be drinking a margarita in the pool instead of tending to a sick cow.

We moved 14 months ago from Houston to the suburbs of NOLA for my husband's job. I had been in Texas all my life and I came kicking and screaming. But, we love, love, LOVE it here!! Not kidding! Please be reassured. There is a large homeschooling community, we are in a great church, and my new life mission is to convince everyone that NOLA is fantastic place to visit with small children. There is a TON to do. I'm going to PM you my email address. I'll be happy to answer any of your panicky questions. I SO remember being where you were. This will all be OK. :grouphug:

Honestly, if you go in with that attitude, you're going to hate it and be miserable.

When we went to Louisiana, I just viewed it as an adventure. I was scared, but determined to make the best of it (and btw, we went knowing we'd have to stay with people, strangers to me, at first!). We did call it "lousy-anna" for a few months, but....

A few years later though, we were moving back to Texas (where all our families were) and I had a *very* bad attitude about it. I lived in a state of dysregulation. I got depressed, angry, manic, miserable. It almost cost me my marriage and my life. Seriously.

So basically? Attitude makes ALL the difference in the world.

We lived in Gonzales, between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. My hubby worked in the plants going towards New Orleans. We only visited N.O. once that I remember, maybe twice to go to the Aquarium which we enjoyed. So I don't know much about it, especially not since Katrina. Sorry I can't be more help there.

I *did* read on this board recently that Louisiana is teeming with homeschoolers. Someone gave the statistic 1 in 3 families homeschool. I have a hard time believing THAT, but if it seems like that, that would be awesome! And the more homeschoolers there are, the more opportunities they likely have. So that would be good.

Please look at it like an adventure, something to conquer, find pearls in the sand, etc. It may be life changing in some extremely good ways. I am so thankful we went to Louisiana (though I'm glad to be in Texas too).

I had lived in Slidell, LA (on the Northshore) my whole life. I was homeschooled (during the 80's-90's). My mother actually helped start the homeschool group (S.C.H.E.F. -Slidell Christian Home Educators Fellowship) in our area. They are still around :) Plus there is R.C.H.A.L. -Roman Catholic Homeschool Association of Louisiana, N.H.E.A -Northshore Home Educators Association (I am a member of this one),and a bunch of others:http://www.homeschoolfacts.com/groups/group_states.php/Support_Groups/louisiana

We now live in Lacombe, LA (still on the Northshore) and homeschool our two DD's.

It depeneds on where exactly you will be located? If you find out let me know, I would LOVE to help more.

*If you end up within an hour drive of N.O. they have a TON of great "field trip" locations for kids: Aquarium, Zoo, Insectarium: http://www.auduboninstitute.org/, Children's Museum : http://lcm.org

Edited by kricau

:iagree:Yes, I am also a member of this group, cause the do alot of field trips (whereas NHEA does not). There are some REALLY great women in this group. It is a "secular" group (they are not affiliated to any religion/are accepting of everyone) :) And they are actually trying to get a co-op started right now. If you join the group and get signed up on the Yahoo forum, you can see all that is going on with them.

There are lots of homeschoolers in the New Orleans metro area. We live on the northshore of Lake Pontchartrain, where many families choose to live. You can join the yahoo group for this area (St. Tammany Parish Homeschoolers: groups.yahoo.com/group/STP_Homeschoolers/) and the ladies there can answer any questions you may have. If my memory is correct, a few of them are members of southshore based groups and can point you in the right direction for information if you plan to live in New Orleans.

Good luck with your move!

We live south of the lake, in Kenner (where the NOLA airport is). We chose to live closer to the city rather than across the lake to minimize DH's commute time. My husband works downtown in NOLA and we like him at home instead of driving 25 miles across the lake very day. The schools are horrible here, unlike across the lake (so I'm told), so a lot of families that DH works with live on the northshore for schools, but since we are homeschooling, it doesn't matter to me how bad our schools are. ;)

You guys are SO amazing!!!! Thank you so much for all of the positive feedback. It really, REALLY helps. I am getting less anxious about moving, and more excited to explore a new place. I will be sad to leave my parents and my in laws...but I'm sure we will be able to come back frequently. I am loving reading everyone's experiences! And the fact that HS is so prevalent there is SO reassuring! Thank you so very much ladies!:D

I'm on the other side of the state, so I'm not much help. Just wanted to say welcome to LA! I wasn't thrilled with moving here either, especially coming from Chicago. While I would still jump at the opportunity to move, I really can appreciate the place my kids call home. I had to get to a point of acceptance first though. This state is so different from anywhere else I've ever lived - there is lots to learn and experience.

I came here 10 years ago. We live a little northeast of Baton Rouge. While I grew up in the south, this is a whole 'nother south, lol!

We love it. The food is amazing and being a foodie, I have learned many new dishes from my old born and bred Cajun friends.

We visit NO from time to time and there is a lot of history here to partake of.

I am a part of the Baton Rouge Homeschool Association (BRHA on YAhoo) and we have an eclectic mix of families. I love the group. We have had over 300 families at one time, but we certainly don't see them all. We are so spread out.

Travel a bit while you are here. There are a ton of parks to visit, festivals to attend and frequent parades all over.

There is the Strawberry Festival in Ponchatoula, The Washington Parish Fair (where many of our watermelons come from), Jambalaya festivals, Live after Five in Baton Rouge, lots of museums in New Orleans, wonderful beaches within a 2-3 hour drive (though we always go to Perdido Key because it's super quiet after labor day).

There is crawfish season (which you have to try! They are like spicey mini lobsters, lol!). You do not have to suck their heads (I don't!), but give the tails a try. They really are good and don't forget to eat some of the corn and potatoes (we throw in all sorts of things, mushrooms, asparagus, brocolli, oninons, etc...depends on what we have and what people bring). Crawfish season always brings together good friends and good food!

You can visit the aquarium, the zoos, we have a wildlife park complete with giraffe http://www.globalwildlife.com/

Take a bike ride on the Tammany Trace http://www.tammanytrace.org/

Rent Kayaks/Canoes and take them on the many lakes and waterways we have. The alligators don't normally mess with people here. They would rather go on about their buisiness.

There is always something happening here though. I recommend getting your local area paper and they normally list all the happenings each week.

We have mosquitoes and other various buggy times (lovebugs, large brown beetles, etc), but you learn to deal with it.

We have temperate seasons..except summer...it's hot and muggy, but again, you learn to deal with it. We actually school most of the summer since it's hot and we don't do much outside in the middle of the day. We take our vacations and days off when the weather is pretty and other kids are in school.

The homeschool laws are easy and fairly simple to deal with. Another reason we love it.

People are normally pretty friendly here in the southeast area. It took us a little while to fit in where we are, but now we are all like family.

That's a little of us in a nutshell. People thought we were crazy when we mentioned moving here, but we love it. We've actually spoke of moving, but there is soooo much we would miss.

I also agree with other posters, it is what you make of it!

Edited by CountryGirl2