Menu

Is it normal to have senior moments in your 40s?

I got a new car less than 2 weeks ago. Before that, I drove my minivan for 11 years.

Yesterday I took the minivan to Costco and stopped to gas it up. When I got to the pump, I couldn't remember how to pop open the gas cap cover. I just sat there and waited for a minute for it to come to me. It didn't. So I started looking around - couldn't find it. I got out of the van to see if it would give me a better view. After at least several minutes of this (with increasing panic as I realized all those folks in line behind me were wondering when I was going to start pumping gas), I finally found the switch.

How is that possible? I drove this van for 11 YEARS until 2 weeks ago! I'm only 45 and I honestly felt 75 yesterday.

:bigear: I'm wondering too. I'm 43 and just in the last several months have noticed I am starting to forget the word for something once in awhile, totally blank out sometimes, things like that. It is mild but things like that have never happened before! I am not under stress either.

:bigear: I'm wondering too. I'm 43 and just in the last several months have noticed I am starting to forget the word for something once in awhile, totally blank out sometimes, things like that. It is mild but things like that have never happened before! I am not under stress either.

I've been doing that for years. Everyone around here knows that the zip-zip is the alternate word for the food processor.

I've been doing that for years. Everyone around here knows that the zip-zip is the alternate word for the food processor.

Thingamajig is the big word over here. I'm 47 and I've noticed it really bad the past 3-4 years. I do believe it has to do with having children. I feel constantly tired and my life is a fill in the blank. My kids know that when I say...'You. Do what you're suppose to do" Not to argue, because they usually know what they are suppose to be doing.

Yes. I forgot where reverse was on my stick shift, and kept trying to put it bottom right. It is top left. I called my dh and told him the car wouldn't go in reverse. I drove around all day making sure I wouldn't have to back up. I even took it to a mechanic who told me it would cost a LOT to fix it. My dh told me just to get home and let him look at it. Imagine how amazed I was when I watched out the window while my dh actually backed the car up. I had to go out and try to back it up myself. I will never forget the look on his face when I got in the car and tried to put the gear in the wrong place. I had been driving this car a year and a half.

Ah,Ladies......the good thing is once you hit your 50's all women are able to complete each other's thoughts/sentences so when you have a "senior moment" don't worry, we'll know exactly what you meant to say! It's almost telepathic in nature!

Myra

I got a new car less than 2 weeks ago. Before that, I drove my minivan for 11 years.

Yesterday I took the minivan to Costco and stopped to gas it up. When I got to the pump, I couldn't remember how to pop open the gas cap cover. I just sat there and waited for a minute for it to come to me. It didn't. So I started looking around - couldn't find it. I got out of the van to see if it would give me a better view. After at least several minutes of this (with increasing panic as I realized all those folks in line behind me were wondering when I was going to start pumping gas), I finally found the switch.

How is that possible? I drove this van for 11 YEARS until 2 weeks ago! I'm only 45 and I honestly felt 75 yesterday.

Well, like my Mom always said, "If you go into the kitchen and wonder why you went in there until it comes to you, that's normal. If you go into the kitchen and wonder what a kitchen is for, that's not normal."

Sounds like a normal brain glitch to me. I think we all have them. As long as they are momentary, and you aren't still wandering around half an hour later, wondering where you are, you are ok!

Since the birth of my last child (3yrs old now) I have these moments all.the.time. Just before I had her I had the pleasure of meeting Carole Barnier, author of, If I'm Diapering The Watermelon Where'd I Leave the Baby. Hearing her speak helped me be a lot more comfortable with those moments. "It's not that there is to little going on in our brains, it is that they are over-full. Mainly in the area that deals with maintenance related items, it is working at 115%." (it's a loose quote but that's the idea)

Ah,Ladies......the good thing is once you hit your 50's all women are able to complete each other's thoughts/sentences so when you have a "senior moment" don't worry, we'll know exactly what you meant to say! It's almost telepathic in nature!

Myra

Oh my, I love this. I actully watched this in action with my MIL and her 2 friends. It was awesome!!!

:sad:

Yes. I used my old zip code last week. I have been in this house 16 years this fall.

Dh has been at his job for eight years. i forgot his phone number last week and had to call his cell phone.

I still don't remember my cell phone number always. I've had it for so long now that I can't remember how long I've had it.

I thought we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary next year. It will be our 24th.

Those were all recent brain farts. Beyond a week? I've forgotten by now. :blushing:

My best one was I spent two years at 47. Completely skipped 46. About a week before my real 47th birthday, someone asked how old I was, going to be 48. Dh had to break it to me -- 47 again!:lol:

Seriously, glad to know its happening to others. I was starting to wonder if I should be concerned.

I have about 12 senior moments a day and I'm only 28 :svengo: The green beans and the butter moment is the worst one I remember. I'm also having a hard time staying upright. I've gotten so clumsy. Yesterday I accidentally fell into the kitchen cabinet and bashed my knee up pretty good.

I blame the children. I swear, when you're pregnant, they steal your brain cells and you never get them back.

My best one was I spent two years at 47. Completely skipped 46. About a week before my real 47th birthday, someone asked how old I was, going to be 48. Dh had to break it to me -- 47 again!:lol:

Seriously, glad to know its happening to others. I was starting to wonder if I should be concerned.

OMG! I did the exact same thing! Even down to skipping 46!!!!

Yes. I forgot where reverse was on my stick shift, and kept trying to put it bottom right. It is top left.

I was working at a pre-school and the supervisor was a witch. It was an extremely stressful job. EXTREMELY. Coming home one afternoon, it was raining, and I couldn't, for the life of me, remember where the windshield wipers were in the car. (They were off the steering wheel, but behind the center horn thing). A few days later I quit.

It's "thing" and "thingy-thing" around here :tongue_smilie: So much so that my four year old regularly uses those words. :glare: "Can you get the thing, Mom?" "What thing?" "The thingy-thing!"

I have only had one cell phone number and that has been almost forever, and sometimes I really have to think to remember it. THe same thing has been happening lately with my social security number which I obviously have had almost my entire life. I can remember it, I just have to think a little extra hard to recall it.

Last week I could not remember if our trash pick up day is Tuesday or Wednesday. It doesn't help that it used to be Monday until our service was bought out. Then it switched to Tues. Then we switched services so now it''s Weds. That all happened in about 2 months. Wednesday. Wednesday. Wednesday. Maybe I'll remember now. :tongue_smilie: