Menu

SINKING...I need ideas and I need them fast

Also around my town the big food pantry is second harvest food bank, they actually bring a trailer load of food to our local area a few times a month. You might see if they bring food to your area also.

Our Salvation Army also does free lunches every day, plus our schools do a free lunch to any kid in the city during the summer. Even if it's the wrong time for the payment plans at your utility companies, I would call anyhow and explain the situation and see if they have any plans for low income families. Most don't advertise these services.

Also look into the free phones/free home phone programs for low income families. once you get on foodstamps you should qualify for one. Usually you get a basic cell phone or a home phone service, but not both. Work a try.

When we were struggling we ate alot of spaghetti, rice, beans, cheapie mac and cheese and hotdogs, and things like hamburger helper, not the best but it makes alot for a low cost.

Good luck, I know it's hard, but this will too pass and you will get settled.

Edited by TheTwinsMom1

So, for those of you that don't know the BG... I'm recently divorced (last year).

My pride really doesn't want to type this but I need help to figure this out. I'm really struggling financially. I am new to an area in KS and we are BROKE. I haven't gotten a dime of child support ( I don't want to get into that, because bashing isn't my thing). I have a job but I'm bringing in roughly $1300-1400 per month and it's just not enough. After rent and the bills plus food and gas I just can't do it. I am canceling cable as we speak. It's really the only luxury that we still have. My rent is as cheap as it gets. I am looking for a different place to live even so.

I can't qualify for food stamps because I can't qualify until I register my kids for school and the schools are closed until the 25th of the month. The only other option I have to qualify is to take my kids to the doctor and get paperwork from them, but I don't have the money to take them to the doctor and my state health insurance hasn't gone through yet.

We are living off of mostly pasta, eggs, rice and bread. I work full time so it's hard to find extra time as it is. My parents live a couple of states away so going there isn't an option right now.

I'm going to stop whining, but what I'm really looking for is some really good advice on how to make ends meet because I am sinking fast. Sigh. I am new to the area or I would babysit. There is 1 lady that asked me once recently and I jumped at the opportunity. Any more ideas?

And please be gentle with me this is hard to admit as it is.

:grouphug:I am so sorry. This is hard.

The first thing I saw was you have a 4 yr old. In our state you would qualify for WIC. That would help some.

Another thing would be the use of dry beans. They are a good sorce of protein and fiber. It takes a bit to soak them and then cook them but you can do a large batch and if you have a freezer you can freeze them even in baggies for things like meatless chili, baked beans, beans and rice, etc.

I agree with some that advised going to a church, in our town you can go to the police department and they will direct you to help but we are pretty small.

:grouphug: again.

Google your school district. If they have any Title 1 schools, they will have a federal grant to give out lunches every day for free to all children during the summer. Sometimes it will be at a park, sometimes at the school, but that would be one way to get your kids lunch everyday. All you have to do is show up.

Google your school district. If they have any Title 1 schools, they will have a federal grant to give out lunches every day for free to all children during the summer. Sometimes it will be at a park, sometimes at the school, but that would be one way to get your kids lunch everyday. All you have to do is show up.

Several cities I have lived in have distributed lunches to children in local parks all summer. I agree you need to get on WIC, and the WIC office should also be able to let you know about other assistance programs available. Your income includes child support for these programs, but if you aren't recieving any...

You might want to find out about low income housing assistance, they may be able to subsidize some of your rent.

The cities I've been in for NM & TX both have a "summer meal" program that is usually just a "drop by xyz location at whatever time & pick up free food" deal. You don't have to show ID or proof of low income or anything - just find the area where it is being served and the time & go by!

Also, I have some friends who take their kids to a local ymca camp where kids get free breakfast and lunch.

More :grouphug:. Dealing with social service agencies can be very frustrating. I can't get my county office to answer the phone or return calls, so no matter what I need I have to go stand in line forever. :glare:

They are overworked, but they are still people, and I have found that being extra nice, patient, etc. helps a lot. Be apologetic for your pushiness. Not because you shouldn't be pushy - you pretty much have to, but because it makes it more obvious that you aren't trying to be their problem, but really need their help. Once, the guy was super nice to me after I started crying . . . Not a tactic I recommend but I was 7 months pregnant and FRUSTRATED. Basically, your goal should be to find a person who will be your advocate. When the system starts breaking down (as it does when too many people need help), the people who get the fastest help are those who make friends "on the inside".

Do you have any contact with XH or his family?( I have not followed your story at all, so just discard what you find useless here. ) would any of his family believe you about your circumstances and help you? Or push him to help?

You continue to be in my prayers.

The only other option I have to qualify is to take my kids to the doctor and get paperwork from them, but I don't have the money to take them to the doctor and my state health insurance hasn't gone through yet.

If you've been told you qualify, it doesn't matter if it's "gone through." Medicaid will pay three months back, I think, and many places will take those who are waiting for medicaid. It's called presumptive eligibility.

I think you should definitely work on better food. I can't imagine it's easy to be struggling to eat :grouphug: The ideas from the other ladies are better than anything I could come up with.

Btw I think there's a just a short form that a neighbor, friend, or landlord fills out verifying your kids live with you. It's not complex.

Here are some links I am hoping can help you. Do you have a "211" number available where you live? In some states, if you dial 211, it will connect you to community resources for food, clothing etc. WIC would be great for you right now. Here are some other links. I've never heard of having to "prove" that hte kids live with you for SNAP benefits, but even a federal program has different state guidlines as well.

http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Food/FoodAssistance.aspx'>http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Food/FoodAssistance.aspx'>http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Food/FoodAssistance.aspx'>http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Food/FoodAssistance.aspx

http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Cash/TAF.aspx

http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Food_Distribution_Programs/CSFP/CSFP.aspx

http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Food_Distribution_Programs/Emergency-Food-Assistance-Program-(TEFAP).aspx

http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Energy/EnergyAssistance.aspx

http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Food/FoodAssistance.aspx

This is a list of soup kitchens, that might provide free meals: http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Documents/Food_Distribution_Programs/Soup%20Kitchen%20Food%20Banks%20List.pdf

I hope some of these will help you and your family. Good Luck :)

:grouphug: I can't imagine how frustrating your situation is. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Did someone tell you that your kids need to be enrolled in school to get food stamps? That doesn't seem right to me, though I've never applied myself.

Definitely check out food pantries and churches. If there is a Catholic Charities or St. Vincent DePaul Society in your area, go there. (They have no religious requirements.)

Can you find a sliding scale medical clinic? I agree with asking a doctor's office to help you out, too.

I have not read all the replies so forgive me if this has already been addressed. We were never asked about our kids schooling when we applied for food stamps. Of course the hoops we jumped through were insane sometimes, but we filled the app out a half a dozen times and did not have to explain about the kids schooling.

Also around my town the big food pantry is second harvest food bank, they actually bring a trailer load of food to our local area a few times a month. You might see if they bring food to your area also.

Our Salvation Army also does free lunches every day, plus our schools do a free lunch to any kid in the city during the summer. Even if it's the wrong time for the payment plans at your utility companies, I would call anyhow and explain the situation and see if they have any plans for low income families. Most don't advertise these services.

Also look into the free phones/free home phone programs for low income families. once you get on foodstamps you should qualify for one. Usually you get a basic cell phone or a home phone service, but not both. Work a try.

When we were struggling we ate alot of spaghetti, rice, beans, cheapie mac and cheese and hotdogs, and things like hamburger helper, not the best but it makes alot for a low cost.

We have some churches in our area doing free lunches for anyone under 18 this summer.

Another idea to help supplement income when you are able to put a little money towards gas and getting started with this business is to buy nice children's and ladies' clothing cheaply at garage sales and thrift stores (on half-price day) and take them to local consignment stores. I used to own a children's consignment shop and had a lady who made a second income doing this. She washed and neatly hung or folded the clothes and made sure that she only brought me items that were in great shape, in style, and in season.

Our town also has a medical mission that provides very low-cost health care.

Oh, as far as the legal situation goes- does just let it go. There are legal programs here that help indigent in a number of ways.

there is a non-profit that organizes all the pro bono in the area.

there is also an office that will schedule hour long appointments with various lawyers at an extremely reduced rate of you are representing yourself- so you can get accurate information.

the same organization puts on several lectures about various topics.

dig and see what your area has to offer.

Thank you. :)

:grouphug::grouphug:

Be persistent, don't worry about your pride. We are not our circumstances.

Do you have any day old bakery stores in your area? What about talking to your grocer to see if they can give you some inside info on clearance items.

We are NOT our circumstances. Thank you for that reminder. :D

Not sure if you use Facebook, but I know a lot of towns have local buy sell and swap boards. I know ours are very active, and they are a fast and easy way to sell things. You would be surprised what people post that they are looking for. :)

I will look into that. I have tried to find one for my area in the past and haven't been able to, but Craigslist is very active here. Thank you.

I wonder if your parents sent your kids a letter and you did not open it, if that would prove it. How about a copy of your divorce decree and their birth certificates.

Hmmm... I will call and ask or maybe just have them do it and try to take it in? Thank you.

It's not pathetic, it happens. :grouphug::grouphug:

With regard to food stamps, many of these agencies are way under staffed and very overworked. You need to be politely pushy.

"Besides school registration, what can I use for proof of residency. I can't register them until xx/xx."

When they say drs office, ask what else. Clarify if that means a public health dept. Keep asking and...push a little. Nicely

It took me months to get insurance coverage when I was pregnant and DH lost his job, if I hadn't been pushy it would have taken longer. My emergency wasn't theirs, but they were responsible for giving me the information I needed.

If they haven't started processing your app and won't until the end of the month, realize that means two more months until the app is finished at minimum.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I do have trouble being pushy. Ok. I will try to be a little more pushy. Got it. :D Thank you.

Around here DSHS has one appointment in the beginning and once a year for a review. I would go back in of you have the time And try again. Do not feel bad.

I have my divorce decree and proof of address and birth certificates for my children. We need food stamps. I cannot afford to feed us right now.

I find you just have to say the right words sometimes.

Ok. I'm hearing a consensus from everyone that I need to try again and that I need to try to talk to someone else probably. Thank you!

We receive a little help with food stamps and I'm homeschooling my kiddos. That just doesn't sound right. I know they have emergency aide too. Please talk to someone else at family services.

I'm not sure that they HAVE to be registered in school. There just has to be proof of residency and that is one of the very few ways that I can prove my children's residency. I hope that makes sense. Thank you. :)

I haven't read many of the other responses so sorry if this has been mentioned, but could you possibly pick up couponing? When I was doing it full swing I was only spending about $30 per month on food for a family of 4. It has been a few years so I am not sure if it is still that good but you can save a lot of money this way and it is fairly simple if you go to sites like http://www.couponing101.com where they give you lists to shop off of.

I am sorry that you are struggling.

Check out this link to KS organizations. Maybe you can find some help here. It seems to offer what our local CSO does, just under a different name.

Thank you!

1. You should be registering for school now-ish if you're a new move-in in KS. While schools may not start until mid to late August here, if you are a new move-in, typically they will encourage you to register before the returning student registration time period.

Here, the schools are closed until the 25th and when I go to their website it says that new student registration opens on the 30th?

If you are going to homeschool, you can register with the Dept of Ed. website at any time you'd like.

Thank you.

2. Here in KS it is VERY common to have free meals (breakfast and lunch) for anyone under 18. Common distribution points are the schools themselves, the library, the big local park, or churches. Since you are likely going to qualify for free/reduced meals, that's something I'd ask about when you call whatever the local school is. I think the adult meal charge in my town is $1. They send backpacks home with meals for the weekend when they don't do distribution.

I will ask around and see if I can find out what schools do that.

3. You can use WIC here to take to the farmer's market to get produce. ;)

Oh, really? That's pretty cool. Thanks for the info.

4. The local United Way will be more help to you than SRS. SRS had SERIOUS budget cutbacks from the governor and there are starting to be long delays on things.

This is very good information. I think there were a few other people that suggested the United Way. I will go and check that out. Thank you.

5. The local health department has a sliding scale payment program....depending on where you are (feel free to pm me) there are local free medical clinics as well---or sliding scale fees.

Ok. Thank you and I may PM you just so that I know someone that home schools around here. ;)

6. In my neck of the woods, many churches run some sort of pantry program....we also have a collaboration of churches working together to provide hot meals to anyone who would like to eat several times a week. Many other communities are running similar programs.

ok. Good idea.

7. If you are in an itty bitty small town, it may be worth your while to go to a larger town to access food pantries, etc.

I'm not in an itty bitty small town. SO MANY people are out of work or working but having trouble surviving on what they are making around here.

While your income is reduced & stressed, get yourself on some assisted rent housing lists in the area. It might take a long while to get an opening, but it happens.

Ok. Good plan.

Take full advantage of your circumstance right now while things are tough, there's a lot out there for retraining, education, childcare, assistance for struggling families. It's not always going to be this way, get it going while you can. This is your turn to utilize into resources you pay for.

I would like to find out if there is anything to help me get retrained in the medical field. I took a couple of classes last semester, but it would be nice if there is more help.

You didn't mention childcare $$$ daycare issues, do you have family helping you out with that? That one is the killer for newly single moms.

No, I have an awesome friend that is helping me with that. She was my bff as a teenager and we kept in contact. She's giving me childcare for the summer even though her family struggles as well. And the kids do spend some time with their Dad during the summer. That always makes it feel like the burden is lifted because as long as they are taken care of I'm good.

Do you have any side skills you could do besides childcare? (Which, btw, is an awesome home business-big bucks there) - sewing, yardwork, gardening, laundry, respite care, cleaning - along those lines?

I've been looking at a few things. Thinking about (when I have a little more cash) putting an ad in a local paper for the elderly about doing personal grocery shopping, cleaning, etc. I could do those things for sure.

You mentioned the gas bill is horrendous for the travel, is there any chance you have a bus system you can use for a bit to cut the costs down there or is that just really unreasonable? Any chance to carpool with a co-worker?

Wouldn't you know it that the bus doesn't come into my area. Also, I'm not sure how that would work with taking the kids to where they have to go and then getting myself somewhere. I DO however live right across from the library- yay and down the street from a grocery store- another yay. :D We are able to walk a lot.

I would try a govt health dept for the doctor's appointment to get the paperwork for food stamps. Just tell them straight up that you need to get your kids documented to get your food stamps application through and that the situation is dire. Another thing I would look into is if there is some kind of social services advocacy group in the area that can help you get set up with things like food stamps and WIC. Some of them are provided through organizations that also run shelters and they can help get things moved along. They help people in crisis get set up with the services they need. Also if you start checking with food banks, you may be able to find out about an advocacy service that way too. Another thing - if you are paying your own utilities, apply for whatever utility assistance program the companies offer. I would also look for all of the charity services in your area and ask for some temporary help, whatever they offer. :grouphug:

THANK YOU!!!

Do you have custody papers in effect at this time? That might be why they want them in school to prove where they live. If you have custody papers that show you as the primary home for the kids that should work, not sure why they would want anything more. For us we just had to bring in the custody agreement which shows me as the primary custody and primary placement of my kids.

See, that's what I thought. I DO have my CO. I really thought that and their BCs is all that they would need. I even offered my CO and they didn't take a copy of it. I gave them the CO number, though.

Ok. Thank you.

I'm going to do that today and see what the utility company says.

Alright. I will check that out. Right now I have prepaid and if I don't have the cash to pay it I just don't pay it which is nice.

You sound like us!!! :) It does make a lot for pennies. I try to shop sales and use coupons, too. Like last week for 4th of July they had hotdogs for .97. I bought 4 packages. lol

Thank you :grouphug:

Julie, I just want to offer you some hugs and let you know that i've said a prayer for you and your family. I'm sure there has to be a way that you can get some emergency assistance.

Thank you. :grouphug:

:grouphug:I am so sorry. This is hard.

The first thing I saw was you have a 4 yr old. In our state you would qualify for WIC. That would help some.

I am honestly shocked that I didn't know that my Dd could still be on WIC. I'm going to call about that today.

Another thing would be the use of dry beans. They are a good sorce of protein and fiber. It takes a bit to soak them and then cook them but you can do a large batch and if you have a freezer you can freeze them even in baggies for things like meatless chili, baked beans, beans and rice, etc.

Yes, beans are a great idea.

I agree with some that advised going to a church, in our town you can go to the police department and they will direct you to help but we are pretty small.

:grouphug: again.

Thank you.

WIC for your four year old will help some at least with eggs, bread, beans, milk, cereal and some fruit and veggies

Definitely. Thank you.

Thank you.

Several cities I have lived in have distributed lunches to children in local parks all summer. I agree you need to get on WIC, and the WIC office should also be able to let you know about other assistance programs available. Your income includes child support for these programs, but if you aren't recieving any...

You might want to find out about low income housing assistance, they may be able to subsidize some of your rent.

Thank you very much. WIC would be awesome.

hud.gov has listing for subsidized apartments (my brother's babies momma gets paid to live in her's) and section 8 housing.

Ok. On to check that out.

The cities I've been in for NM & TX both have a "summer meal" program that is usually just a "drop by xyz location at whatever time & pick up free food" deal. You don't have to show ID or proof of low income or anything - just find the area where it is being served and the time & go by!

Also, I have some friends who take their kids to a local ymca camp where kids get free breakfast and lunch.

Thank you!

More :grouphug:. Dealing with social service agencies can be very frustrating. I can't get my county office to answer the phone or return calls, so no matter what I need I have to go stand in line forever. :glare:

Thank you. It is terribly hard to get them to answer the phone (never) and almost just as hard to get them to return any calls. They are so very overworked.

They are overworked, but they are still people, and I have found that being extra nice, patient, etc. helps a lot. Be apologetic for your pushiness. Not because you shouldn't be pushy - you pretty much have to, but because it makes it more obvious that you aren't trying to be their problem, but really need their help. Once, the guy was super nice to me after I started crying . . . Not a tactic I recommend but I was 7 months pregnant and FRUSTRATED. Basically, your goal should be to find a person who will be your advocate. When the system starts breaking down (as it does when too many people need help), the people who get the fastest help are those who make friends "on the inside".

Come to think of it... the guy that interviewed me may have been a trainee...possibly. He said that he was doing the interview for another person that wasn't available.

Do you have any contact with XH or his family?( I have not followed your story at all, so just discard what you find useless here. ) would any of his family believe you about your circumstances and help you? Or push him to help?

Yes, I do have some contact with xh about kid stuff, but trying to get any $ out of him is like pulling teeth. (He owes me quite a bit of money apart from what child support he owes as a part of the divorce, but it's doubtful I will ever see that.)

You continue to be in my prayers.

Thank you!

Julie, I'm so sorry. I just said a prayer for your family. My heart is aching for you. I will be thinking of you and I hope you're able to find resources.

THANK YOU! I will take all of the prayers that I can get.

If you've been told you qualify, it doesn't matter if it's "gone through." Medicaid will pay three months back, I think, and many places will take those who are waiting for medicaid. It's called presumptive eligibility.

I understand that, but most doctors offices want payment at time of service. I will call around and see if I can find one that will work with me.

I think you should definitely work on better food. I can't imagine it's easy to be struggling to eat :grouphug: The ideas from the other ladies are better than anything I could come up with.

Btw I think there's a just a short form that a neighbor, friend, or landlord fills out verifying your kids live with you. It's not complex.

Really? I will check into that.

also go back to social services and see if they can give you some gift certificates for a local food store

They do that?

Here are some links I am hoping can help you. Do you have a "211" number available where you live? In some states, if you dial 211, it will connect you to community resources for food, clothing etc. WIC would be great for you right now. Here are some other links. I've never heard of having to "prove" that hte kids live with you for SNAP benefits, but even a federal program has different state guidlines as well.

http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Food/FoodAssistance.aspx'>http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Food/FoodAssistance.aspx

http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Cash/TAF.aspx

http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Food_Distribution_Programs/CSFP/CSFP.aspx

http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Food_Distribution_Programs/Emergency-Food-Assistance-Program-(TEFAP).aspx

http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Energy/EnergyAssistance.aspx

http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Food/FoodAssistance.aspx

This is a list of soup kitchens, that might provide free meals: http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Documents/Food_Distribution_Programs/Soup%20Kitchen%20Food%20Banks%20List.pdf

I hope some of these will help you and your family. Good Luck :)

Thank you. Not aware of a 211 number. I will check out the links, though.

Don't rental applications ask for the names of all occupants, including the children? Can your landlord give you a copy of that that you could take in to prove that they live with you?

I don't actually have a copy of my lease right now. I will check on that. Maybe my landlord would write a note for me?

I have not read all the replies so forgive me if this has already been addressed. We were never asked about our kids schooling when we applied for food stamps. Of course the hoops we jumped through were insane sometimes, but we filled the app out a half a dozen times and did not have to explain about the kids schooling.

That's ok. It's not necessarily that they have to know about their schooling. I have to prove residency and one of the ways to do that is to have the kids registered in school. Residency for the kids. Not for me.

We have some churches in our area doing free lunches for anyone under 18 this summer.

Thank you.

:grouphug:If it is at all feasible, I would try to live near or with your family since this may be a hard path to follow without supports:(. :grouphug:

Thank you!

Another idea to help supplement income when you are able to put a little money towards gas and getting started with this business is to buy nice children's and ladies' clothing cheaply at garage sales and thrift stores (on half-price day) and take them to local consignment stores. I used to own a children's consignment shop and had a lady who made a second income doing this. She washed and neatly hung or folded the clothes and made sure that she only brought me items that were in great shape, in style, and in season.

This is a great idea. Someone else on here mentioned ebay and I am very interested in both of these ideas.

Our town also has a medical mission that provides very low-cost health care.

Thank you.

I haven't read many of the other responses so sorry if this has been mentioned, but could you possibly pick up couponing? When I was doing it full swing I was only spending about $30 per month on food for a family of 4. It has been a few years so I am not sure if it is still that good but you can save a lot of money this way and it is fairly simple if you go to sites like http://www.couponing101.com where they give you lists to shop off of.

I am sorry that you are struggling.

Thank you!

Contact your local LDS (Mormon) church. People in need can meet with the Bishop. He, along with the leader of the women's organization can assess you needs and at the very least be able to give you a food order that you can take to the Bishop's Storehouse. The Storehouse is like a grocery store where you take your food order and they fill it for you. You can get groceries and some other household goods. You do not have to be a member of the LDS church.

Go here

http://www.lds.org/?lang=eng

On the left you will see links. Choose "Meetinghouse Locator." Enter your address into the bar and you will see your local meetinghouse. There will also be a phone number to call.

We will keep you in our prayers that your situation will improve quickly.

Amber in SJ

One more suggestion - for non-food items, see if you have a freecycle group for your area - our local freecycle group is through Yahoo groups. People post items they no longer want that can be picked up for free, and you can post requests for things you need, such as kids clothes, backpacks for school, furniture, kitchen items, etc.