Menu

Spin off thread from Quivers- Show us your kitchen

I love to go to open houses to see how people decorate. So show us your kitchen, however it looks right now. The only reason mine is this uncluttered is because I am alone and have been for 6 days. Otherwise there are usually legos and playmobile and cups on the kitchen table.

DSCF2220.JPG?imgmax=640

DSCF2221.JPG?imgmax=640

I am procrastinating. It's hot and sticky and I am supposed to run 6 miles today.:D

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are all the small appliances? You know: bread maker, mixer, coffee maker, espressor maker, blender, food processor, etc. Please don't say you don't use them. That would make my husband's day as he's convinced the time saving appliances do not save time and provide more clutter.

Janet

PS: I see the mixer on top of the fridge. That gave me an idea. By the way, I would love to a cup relaxing cup of tea in your beautiful kitchen.

Baawaaahaaaa!! Does this mean you'd like to see our cabinets that dh so beautifully crafted with the gorgeous plastic sheeting that hangs in place of doors because we have yet to order the doors so that we can stain/poly them to match the cabinetry?! Baaawaahaaaa!! (Despite this just stated fact, I'll try to secure a photo for sharing.... ;-)

Where are all the small appliances? You know: bread maker, mixer, coffee maker, espressor maker, blender, food processor, etc. Please don't say you don't use them. That would make my husband's day as he's convinced the time saving appliances do not save time and provide more clutter.

Janet

PS: I see the mixer on top of the fridge. That gave me an idea. By the way, I would love to a cup relaxing cup of tea in your beautiful kitchen.

Everything is in the cabinets. I was blessed with an abundance of cabinets both in the kitchen and tha laundry room. Having things on the counters bothers me and I try to keep them as clear as possible.:001_smile:

I got tickled to see the basket on your counter with the glasses. I have something similar by my phone (only deeper). :-P Also, the deep red in your breakfast area is very close to the faux suede paint (Ralph Lauren) that I put *below* my chair rail in my library. Above the chair rail I have Monroe Bisque (BM) which is a golden tan.

It does come in handy when it isn't piled with cr*p! LOL. Teens leave a lot of stuff lying around...

There is more counter on the other side which you can't see in the pic. Across from the stove there is a built in chopping block and a secondary sink. Really, really handy.

I'm always game for wasting time!

First, a view of the kitchen from the back door. Wow. That's a lot of clutter. Great another job for today. Notice the tile around the island. It is 1) ugly, and 2) prevents having ANY DRAWERS IN THE ISLAND! I don't understand people sometimes.

July2008048.jpg

A slightly different view, so you can see the view from the kitchen. The problem with the bar is that stuff faces the living or the kitchen and the loser gets to see the back of it. The kitchen lost. Also, need to go from the kitchen to the stove? Walk around the island please.

July2008049.jpg

A work in progress. Updating the school/breakfast area. Those are IKEA cabinets that I Amy'd up. The fabric in the doors is wrapped around foam board, so inside we can use it as a bulletin board. I'm working on a table cloth (khaki with black edge) for the table and I hope to have a nice framed world map where that stained glass is by the time school starts. I have the cushions for the chairs cut out, just need to sew them. It's the same fabric as in the cabinets, but with an apple green edge.

July2008047.jpg

You can see the post here.

It's not nearly so clean at the moment. I was in the middle of cleaning out the fridge and had just put dishes to soak before loading them in the dishwasher when I decided to stop for lunch. There are two coolers sitting in the middle of the floor that need to be emptied (pop into fridge once it's clean), cleaned, dried, and put away. Dh's dirty work boots are on the hearth. (They got rained out at work. I don't know why he thinks his boots live there when they are not on his feet. Oops, my Teva flip flops are on the floor nearby.) 16yodd's radio is also on the hearth. The bar surrounding my desk is host to various dirty dishes and overflow paperwork from my desk. Let's not even talk about the nasty leftovers (fuzzy green beans, etc.) that just got tossed from the fridge into the trash. The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of activity and now it's time to catch up.

Jenny,

I love all of your masks and the whimsical art pieces.

Lisa,

I love the red!;) And that rug by the sliders is lovely!

Percytruffle,

You're my de-clutter twin.:D

Amy,

I have the same LeCreuset pot as you do and the same two-tier server that you have on top of your fridge. :001_smile:

Wow! Now that I've looked at all the pics and links, I feel like I've stepped into the HGTV forum:D

Amy, I love the tile mosaic backsplash in your kitchen and all your funny quotes. I think I'm going to get a T-shirt made for ds with that cheese quote. We never did find just the right cheesy T when we were looking.

It's not nearly so clean at the moment. I was in the middle of cleaning out the fridge and had just put dishes to soak before loading them in the dishwasher when I decided to stop for lunch. There are two coolers sitting in the middle of the floor that need to be emptied (pop into fridge once it's clean), cleaned, dried, and put away. Dh's dirty work boots are on the hearth. (They got rained out at work. I don't know why he thinks his boots live there when they are not on his feet. Oops, my Teva flip flops are on the floor nearby.) 16yodd's radio is also on the hearth. The bar surrounding my desk is host to various dirty dishes and overflow paperwork from my desk. Let's not even talk about the nasty leftovers (fuzzy green beans, etc.) that just got tossed from the fridge into the trash. The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of activity and now it's time to catch up.

I love it! I am so envious of that pantry rack, what a great idea!:001_smile:

Okay, I've never, I'll admit, thought about what your kitchen would/should look like, but now that I see it, it's exactly what I WOULD have imagined, had I tried.

No, I'm not drinking, why DO you ask? ;)

Gaaaah! I am so jealous of all these nifty kitchens! What shall I photograph?

• The Christmas green laminate?

• The green wallpaper with teeny country houses?

• The glassy white backsplash with pink flowers and burgundy grout?

:lol::lol:

All of the above, and be quick about it, woman!

C'mon..I'll show you my luuuverly green countertops if you show me your green wallpaper....

I'll play:

DSC_9417.jpg

DSC_9418.jpg

It *does* see this condition from time to time.

However, it also sees the following...

DSC_0903.jpg

DSC_0906.jpg

:D

(oh and this is a rental..I have nothing to do with the decor)

Tara - this is beautiful!!! I think we have the same countertops! Are these quartz? I love how light it is!

Tara - this is beautiful!!! I think we have the same countertops! Are these quartz? I love how light it is!

it's fake...laminate....shhh ;)

I was totally fooled when I first saw it!

Like I said, not my decor, wish I could take credit for the lightness :)

I can totally dig it though. I've not had any problems living with it for the past year heehee

Gaaaah! I am so jealous of all these nifty kitchens! What shall I photograph?

• The Christmas green laminate?

• The green wallpaper with teeny country houses?

• The glassy white backsplash with pink flowers and burgundy grout?

:lol::lol:

Now if we were talkin' bathrooms:

I don't think you can top the Texas sink, personally ;) Isn't it you who has that? Some things just weave themselves into our memories...

I'm moving to your house! WOW, is all I can say, just wow!

where are all these houses with huge kitchens???? I am so tired of my walk in closet sized kitchens....and it has been the same in the last 10 houses we've lived in!:glare:

LOL! We've had our share of small kitchens too! I should post a picture from dh's and my first house together. I could stand in the middle and touch both walls. It was SO narrow.

Our new house finally has a nice kitchen with an eating area that opens to a family room. Love it!!!

Sarah - I LOVE your lighting!!!! (The rest of it too - especially the staircase!) But the lighting just pops!!

Well, thanks! Here's how it looked before the reno:

kitchen.jpg

The entire house screamed 1980's when we moved in.

You gotta love that light fixture!:lol:

I am noticing something about these kitchens that makes me nervous about posting mine; they are all really, really clean. Mine is never that clean!

I am noticing something about these kitchens that makes me nervous about posting mine; they are all really, really clean. Mine is never that clean!

We cleaned before posting, silly girl!:lol: Just throw everything into another room like I did.

Pfft, that's easy. It was clean because I had just spent the morning: Clearing paperwork off the peninsula, washing and putting away 50 bazillion stray "snack" dishes, taking out the collection of various recyclables, taking out the large bag of overflowing trash, cleaning up the three piles of cat puke, de-spiderwebbing the ceiling, polishing the fingerprints off the stainless, and vacuuming up the sea of dog hair wafting through the café. I was almost too tired to hold the danged camera! :lol:

Come back tomorrow if you want a re-do! I'm sure my family will be more than happy to get it back into its usual condition before then.

Oh, my kitchen looks clean...just don't open any of the cupboards. Or the fridge. Or the drawers.