Menu

Wildfire in our town

Please pray for this! This is the town we live in. Also, please pray that people start donating water and Gatorade! They are begging for donations to help keep the firefighters hydrated in this heat, PLUS the heat of the fire PLUS being in full uniform. We brought a bunch but financially can't do much more. Please pray the rest of the town steps up!

Please pray for the safety of those risking their lives to save us!!!!

Having just been through this (sort of a deja vu a week later -- ours started on a Saturday and grew a lot the next few days), I can attest that the prayers are working. God is working and is interwoven in everything going on.

I am praying for you and not forgetting those who already have been through this in June. So many people impacted and the impact goes beyond that first week or the day of tragedy.

This is from Black Hills Fox's facebook page:

BREAKING NEWS: Great Plains Dispatch has confirmed that a U.S. Air Force C-130 tanker aircraft has gone down in Fall River County, west of Wind Cave National Park and northwest of Hot Springs along Highway 89.

This was fighting a fire that is near Hot Springs DS (about an hour and a half from here-- in addition to the 2 close to our house)

No- woke up and the smoke was SO thick I could not see across the street. The National Weather Service posted a Fire Weather Watch for our area (I didn't know they did that) The winds are supposed shift and make the fire head straight for us again. It got to the point over night, though, that national agencies were called in.

:grouphug:

I have never been so ready for a good, cold, wet, snowy winter in all my life.

Praying. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

We really need the snow pack up.

Our hay production is way down, I read with the fires and drought it may be around 30%. It's not doing good things for the cattle ranchers. :(

I hope the wind isn't as bad as they are predicting and that your brave firefighters are able to hold those lines today. :grouphug:

It is really windy. A federal agency took over the command. Its just getting so big so fast. It is SOOO smokey outside. We don't have air but had to close the house up to keep it out. Thank you fans!! They are keeping us going LOL

We really need prayers! We may be losing power as a major transformer is threatened. I copied this Facebook status from a VERY reliable source:

This is the most complete update I've gotten yet. It is from Randy Welch at the Department of Homeland Security, and I'm afraid the news is not good. I'd rather have local sources to confirm this, but I'm afraid they're all pretty busy right now. It puts the fire at a much larger size than I was given at 5 or 7 p.m., and makes a much more dire prediction for the next couple of days. Please don't panic, but I think everyone should raise their alert status considerably. A lot can change depending on the weather over the next few hours, and even minutes, but if things don't change this could be a big one. I just got off the phone with Randy, and he said this information was verified through the state and with federal fire officials. Be safe out there. I'll stay up tonight and keep passing information along as I get it.

FEMA AUTHORIZES FUNDS TO HELP FIGHT WYOMING'S OIL CREEK FIRE

DENVER - The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has authorized the use of federal funds to help with firefighting costs for Wyoming's Oil Creek Fire in Weston County.

This is the third Fire Management Assistance Grant for Wyoming this year, all in the last four days. Previously, FEMA approved such grants for the Arapahoe Fire and the Squirrel Creek Fire, both in Albany County.

FEMA Regional Administrator Robin Finegan approved the Fire Management Assistance Grant Monday night, July 2, upon receiving the state's request. At the time of the request, the fire was threatening more than 300 homes in the vicinity of Osage. Mandatory evacuations were in place for approximately 400 people. The fire started on Saturday, June 30, and had burned more than 12,000 acres of state and federal land. There are six other large uncontrolled fires in Wyoming. Weather predictions for the next two days indicate the Oil Creek Fire may increase to 55,000 acres. The Regional Administrator, Robin Finegan, determined that the fire threatened such destruction as would constitute a major disaster and signed the request at 10:58 p.m. Mountain Time on Monday.

The authorization makes FEMA funding available to pay 75 percent of the state's eligible firefighting costs for managing, mitigating and controlling the fire. These grants do not provide assistance to individual home or business owners and do not cover other infrastructure damage caused by the fire.

Fire Management Assistance Grants are provided through the President's Disaster Relief Fund and made available by FEMA to assist in fighting fires that threaten to cause a major disaster. Eligible items can include expenses for field camps; equipment use, repair and replacement; mobilization and demobilization activities; and tools, materials and supplies.