Menu

This is so silly, but I'm bummed about Ann Curry being booted from the Today Show. I never watch the whole show, but I have watched a few minutes most mornings for years and years. Ann Curry has always been my favorite. Shame they couldn't have kicked Matt off instead.

Maybe this will be a good time to wean myself from the morning news and coffee habit.

Really? I was watching her interview Matthew McConaughey yesterday, and remembering how someone had said she was pretty lousy at interviewing...found myself agreeing with them.

A lovely woman--and not at all grating on the ear, but perhaps interviewing isn't her strength.

My guess is that NBC thinks viewers want female hosts who are a bit more fluffy, spunky, dare I say, "perky?" Katie Couric, Meredith Vieira, and their type fit that bill. Ann Curry has always struck me as more intelligent and curious. Although I think she has a hard time hiding her biases (I'm thinking of how she questioned the Duggars on why they wanted more kids--not that I didn't wonder the same thing, but her tone was a little disrespectful), I still think she was more substantive. I think she'll do great as a foreign correspondent, thinking particularly of how well she covered the genocide in Darfur.

I am a loyal Today show viewer and while I thought Ann Curry was a very good newsreader, (and I am sure a lovely person), I could not stand watching her give interviews or "banter" with her co-hosts.

I wish her well but am not sorry to see her leave this position.

This is so silly' date=' but I'm bummed about Ann Curry being booted from the Today Show. I never watch the whole show, but I have watched a few minutes most mornings for years and years. Ann Curry has always been my favorite. Shame they couldn't have kicked Matt off instead.

Maybe this will be a good time to wean myself from the morning news and coffee habit.[/quote']

:iagree:Me too! Ummm....maybe just the morning news, I'm sticking with the coffee. :tongue_smilie:

I have been watching Today show for at least 25 years. I was not sad to see her go.

I think it says a lot that the TODAY show gave Meredith Viera a huge send off with songs and hugs for only being on the TODAY show for 5 years. Ann Curry got the cold shoulder. I understand she and Matt hate each other behind the scenes. :confused:

I always think that with SOOOOO much 24 hour news on all the time that there would be room for more diversity of programming - a morning show with mostly real news and just a little fluff (as opposed to the other way around), news magazines with more hard hitting news, international news shows, shows where they delve into issues with more than soundbytes. But no, it's just all people screaming at each other or shows talking about celebrity nonsense and fashion and so forth. Apparently that's much more profitable.

Because of the time difference we get the Today Show at 1pm, which I have to say is far better than getting up early to watch it.

I did an audible groan when they announced she would be taking over as co-host last year. I like her as a news reader, but that's about all. Her "soft" interview voice grates on me.

She did not have good banter with the guests and almost none with the others on the show, which is odd because she did before becoming co-host

I want to know who dressed her. She always looked like she was wearing a colorful potato sack.

I always think that with SOOOOO much 24 hour news on all the time that there would be room for more diversity of programming - a morning show with mostly real news and just a little fluff (as opposed to the other way around), news magazines with more hard hitting news, international news shows, shows where they delve into issues with more than soundbytes. But no, it's just all people screaming at each other or shows talking about celebrity nonsense and fashion and so forth. Apparently that's much more profitable.

I agree with you. The format needs an overhaul. Who is the audience, anyway? The 1950s housewife who's now sent hubby and kids off to school?

I have no idea why people want to watch other people drink coffee and yak. I had a friend in college who had to "get ready with Regis and Kathie Lee." Every morning! I never understood it. I couldn't stand Meredith's schtick of sleeping with whoever, or was it that she wanted someone to sleep with her husband? Which ever way, it struck me as the very opposite of classy.

I'd rather listen to Diane Rehm.