Menu

spinoff on the movie thread: Question about Rocky Horror Picture Show

I just have to ask because I've been wondering for several years who would like this movie and why. My husband told me that people like it because of the theater experience with quoting the lines and throwing things at the screen, and not because of the movie itself. Is that the case?

I had to watch this in college for a class and I chose to watch a DVD rather than going to a theater. I was offended by it and upset that I had to watch something I found so offensive for class.

For the people who like it, do you like it because it's fun to go to the theater and take part in the "event" or do you like it even to watch it on DVD? Is it supposed to be something like South Park that's funny because it's offensive? Or do other people not find it offensive and I'm a big schmuck?

I'm not trying to be rude. I've just wondered all these years since being forced to watch this for a class: Who likes this movie and why do they like it? Why is it worth studying in a college class? Did I overreact in my dislike because I expected something I study in college to be...I don't know what, but not this?

Yes, it is a very offensive movie and I would not ever recommmend watching it on dvd for its value as a movie. It is all about audience participation. Even if you don't participate, it is fun to watch those who do. It is like being part of a secret society where everyone knows the "hand shake". There is just something appealing about that in a very obscure sort of way!

More info on the class in which I had to watch Rocky Horror: the professor also gave a lecture on how Batman and Robin are gay lovers, as are Bert and Ernie(!). She also gave me a "C" even though all my work received an "A" and when I went to her to get it changed, she admitted that she was hurrying to catch a plane so she just gave a "C" to everyone she hadn't finished calculating because it was going to be the right grade most of the time! So that whole class was unpleasant for me.

I actually liked the movie. That doesn't mean that there weren't things in it I found offensive. Most movies have something in them that I find distasteful, but I still like the movie for other reasons. Something about the irreverence was kind of funny and campy. Sometimes the shocking can be okay and hilarious. The quirky humor was well, quirky and funny. I don't know. Does that make me weird or awful because I liked it? Maybe, maybe not.

Sometimes, being "forced" to view something can make our opinions colored. And we all have different tastes. And those tastes change both with our moods of the moment and over time too. Our life experiences affect the ways in which we react to things as well. Doesn't mean you are weird because you didn't care for it or that I am weird because I thought it was kind of funny.

Does that make me weird or awful because I liked it? Maybe, maybe not.

No, no, no! I was not trying to say anyone is weird or awful! I just wondered, especially since it was for a class, who this movie's audience is. Usually when I don't like a movie, I don't wonder who did, but the fact that it was for a class seemed to suggest that it was a very important movie in some way and I wondered what made it so.

That was one tough class to contend with. Nice job with the grading ;)

I think that sort of analysis has become common on college campuses. Let's look for the "real meaning" behind Bert and Ernie or Frog and Toad. Let's shred everything and everyone we ever deemed as good and moral. There must be more to it than goodness. How could it have value if there isn't something deeper and more base going on there. Go figure.

Something about the irreverence was kind of funny and campy. Sometimes the shocking can be okay and hilarious. The quirky humor was well, quirky and funny. I don't know. Does that make me weird or awful because I liked it? Maybe, maybe not.

Well, we already know you're weird, right?! ;) Don't worry, we still love you even if you liked it. But, you need to bring all the "supplies" when we book our private WTM viewing of the movie.

It does have that campy sort of cult like attraction to the humor. I suppose if it didn't, it would never have become so popular. I guess I'm just not a fan of campy. I can see how others would find it hilarious though. I just find the attendees funnier. :D

No, no, no! I was not trying to say anyone is weird or awful! I just wondered, especially since it was for a class, who this movie's audience is. Usually when I don't like a movie, I don't wonder who did, but the fact that it was for a class seemed to suggest that it was a very important movie in some way and I wondered what made it so.

I realized something about movies. My tastes have changed a great deal over time. What I liked at one time, I may now hate, find offensive, cringe at the stupidity of, or some other reason. Just because that teacher picked it, doesn't mean it was very important to everybody. But clearly, some find it important. I am not into analyzing movies. I just like to escapism they offer. And the entertainment value.

I don't think you were implying that anyone who likes it is weird or awful. That came from me, not you. No worries. Personally, I think every single person on the planet is weird. That makes life interesting and each person special and unique! Weird is a good word for me -- a positive!

For me it was the event, a sort of peer bonding, I guess. Is some of it offensive? Yes. Would I let my child intentionally watch the movie? No. Do I think it's a good idea to be assigned to watch it for class? No.

It is irreverant, :tongue_smilie:, and a slice of my history. I'm sure all of the lines are stored in my memory somewhere.

I think it's funny... for a class? Maybe not. But I'm definately the weird one of my college friends, most of who knew Rocky Horror well and did the parts in high school/college... my dh was Brad, but that was before I knew him. Back when he was really skinny. I've never seen it in a real theatre (which makes me a "virgin", in the parlance, I believe) and never had all the approriate supllies when I watched, but even on the small screen I get the campy silliness. It's SO 70s.

Do I think it's a good idea to be assigned to watch it for class? No.

I actually think there is value in studying a movie that has developed and maintained a cult-like following for so long. I don't think the movie itself is where the value lies, but rather the public reaction to it. It is a cultural icon and worthy of study in the grand scheme of humanity.

and when I went to her to get it changed, she admitted that she was hurrying to catch a plane so she just gave a "C" to everyone she hadn't finished calculating because it was going to be the right grade most of the time! So that whole class was unpleasant for me.

Wow! I can't believe she admitted that! That is crazy!!

For me it was the event, a sort of peer bonding, I guess. Is some of it offensive? Yes. Would I let my child intentionally watch the movie? No. Do I think it's a good idea to be assigned to watch it for class? No.

It is irreverant, :tongue_smilie:, and a slice of my history. I'm sure all of the lines are stored in my memory somewhere.

Yup, I would agree with this. Hated the movie. Enjoyed the experience!

(Take a step to the left....)

Yup, I would agree with this. Hated the movie. Enjoyed the experience!

(Take a step to the left....)

You made me laugh out loud. I must be careful or ds will ask what is so funny. I'm not ready to explain that part of my past yet. :sneaky2:

I have been to see Rocky several times. It is all about the participation and having a good time.

The more supplies you can bring with you, the better it is. Rice for the wedding, water pistol for the rain. Toast, newspaper, flashlight, noise maker, the list goes on.

I also think a lot of it is a chance to let of steam and not feel weird about it. Where else can a bunch of extremely manly men get together in fish-net tights and a basque and no one bats an eye lid or think that they are drag queens.

It may sound very bizarre, but I went to see this with my dad once. Some families bowl together, ours does very strange things, like Rocky Horror. Can you guess who my dad went dressed as???

I personally don't find it offensive, but I know that some people do. It's one of those things that you either love it or hate it, no middle ground.

It was the experience. It was that it only showed after midnight, and we were allowed to go only because parents knew exactly where we were. (Not really sure why they let us go.) It was the attraction to doing something you knew you shouldn't really be doing and knowing that there was no harm in it. Sort of living on the edge but never getting so close that you have any chance of falling over. It was the humor. The theater experience is really funny if you can get past the subject matter. (Which quite honestly escaped me somehow until the very end of the movie. I was rather naive and a bit slow.) Many people like it because they were just a wee bit high. I am quite certain that would have enhanced the experience greatly.

Would I like to watch the movie on DVD? I'm not sure I would enjoy the movie at the theater anymore. I am most likely past that point in my life. I'd have to try it to find out. I don't actually have the peer group to go with at this point. It takes the right people to go with you. That may be the bulk of the enjoyment right there. It is just doing something silly with your friends. Part of a feeling of belonging. I can assure you that this is not a movie that many people would rate as good if it was watched alone or in a room where everyone was just watching the movie. On DVD in a room full of people who are dancing and acting out the scenes would be required.

Is it worth studying in a college class? Definitely not.

I can't imagine it as fodder for class discussion--what's there to discuss?!--or even for a home DVD experience. But I must admit that the midnight showing of Rocky Horror was a BLAST in high school. Loved it! Ditto the Tim Curry comment: Bless his heart, he will always be Dr. Franknfurter to me. :tongue_smilie:

I actually think there is value in studying a movie that has developed and maintained a cult-like following for so long. I don't think the movie itself is where the value lies, but rather the public reaction to it. It is a cultural icon and worthy of study in the grand scheme of humanity.

Exactly.

What class were you taking? I can't see this film being tossed out in an English 101 course, but I could see it being presented in a Gender Studies course, a Cultural Values type course, something about Cultural Icons (as stated above), anything dealing with sociology, herd behavior, certain types of psychology, behavioral analysis, etc.

As to how the Professor responded in regards to your grade, that could be taken two ways: 1) she was unprofessional for tossing a grade at you on her way to the airport; 2) if she has taught this course repeatedly, she probably only has a few students who stand out "above average" (which would be anything above "C"), due to course content.

I'm not talking about assignments - I'm talking about overall contribution, and ability to grasp what she is putting forth in the course. This is the always the kicker: landing in the class with the prof who is professing concepts that the student feels are uncomfortable at best, from Mars at worst. Because ultimately, even if the student does all of the work, follows the syllabus, and plays by the rules, the prof is still king. She still held all of the cards (your grade).

I'm betting she took one look at your comfort level with the material (early on in the class) and your grade was set then.

When I was at Uni, I had a few foot stompings about various similar events (uncomfortable situations) until it dawned on me that I was in control of what I took, and by which prof. I started asking more questions before taking classes.

That said, a prof like that would have been a welcome addition compared to some of the witch bosses I've had. So maybe we all get a few of them as training wheels?

FYI: The Rocky Horror Show, upon which the movie was based, was an enormously successful British play/musical, which wound its way to Broadway in 1975. Although campy, this piece is considered a work of art.

asta

Hmm. Well I guess I could say I liked it at one time and thought it was funny then. I wouldn't ever want to see it again, and would hope my kids would also steer clear.

At the point at which it came out, it was challenging sexual mores hugely. Gays/bisexuals were still in the closet, for instance. La Cage A Folles (sp) came out about the same time. So it was partly an instrument of cultural change. The audience participation was definitely a part of the experience--a feeling of being part of a "club" that new the "in" things.

Personally, I put it in the category of "Lord of the Flies" --one of those "cultural things" my soul would have been better off without.

I have to admit I don't remember most of the movie. Too much :cheers2: prior to getting to the theater.

Now, 20 years into the future I don't have any interest in seeing it. My tastes in movies has changed considerably.

I can't see why it would be assigned as course work for a college class. But then again my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Gays/bisexuals were still in the closet, for instance. La Cage A Folles (sp) came out about the same time. So it was partly an instrument of cultural change.

Some background on this might have made the whole thing more interesting, but my professor didn't go into anything like that.

As to how the Professor responded in regards to your grade, that could be taken two ways: 1) she was unprofessional for tossing a grade at you on her way to the airport; 2) if she has taught this course repeatedly, she probably only has a few students who stand out "above average" (which would be anything above "C"), due to course content.

I'm not talking about assignments - I'm talking about overall contribution, and ability to grasp what she is putting forth in the course. This is the always the kicker: landing in the class with the prof who is professing concepts that the student feels are uncomfortable at best, from Mars at worst. Because ultimately, even if the student does all of the work, follows the syllabus, and plays by the rules, the prof is still king. She still held all of the cards (your grade).

I'm betting she took one look at your comfort level with the material (early on in the class) and your grade was set then.

When I was at Uni, I had a few foot stompings about various similar events (uncomfortable situations) until it dawned on me that I was in control of what I took, and by which prof. I started asking more questions before taking classes.

It was one of those introductory courses with a huge lecture hall of 300 or so students, so she didn't have the benefit of knowing one student from another, let alone their comfort level with the material. She only knew our grades on the midterms and final. So it was laziness on her part and she did in fact change the grade on my transcript when I confronted her.

For my major I was required to take an introductory course in pop culture and I guess I can see the value of the movie if it was explained that it had some importance in the gay rights movement or something (anything) other than just, "Bert and Ernie are gay and here's a movie you have to watch." Any point she was trying to make was lost on me. I think it also never occurred to her that some of her students may not have heard of this movie before her class.

:iagree: me, too me, too

I love, love, love Rocky Horror. I first saw it at the theater at 14, and that Halloween my mom helped me make a Columbia costume, which I wore several times to the midnight showings. Had the gold sequined hat, tap shoes, and all! It was lots of fun, and I own the dvd and soundtrack. Had it on vinyl before there were CDs, and now I actually have the stage and screen soundtracks on DVD. I have watched it on DVD with my parents and with my dh, and while it's not as fun at home, I still love it. I adore the music, and I love Tim Curry. I actually never found it even slightly offensive as a teenager, nor do I find it offensive now. Just silly, camply, harmless 70's fun!

My older sister took me when I was 13. She had been to showing for years and it was like a coming of age for me to be included into her life with her friends.

I have the soudntrack on my ipod and found myself singing "Science Fiction/Double Feature" while mopping the other day.

I don't find the movie offensive. Wild, very campy, but not offensive. I'm more offended by those "Girls Gone Wild" commercials or anything on the Springer show.

Rocky Horror was more of a event than just a movie. It was a chance to have fun, act out a little and realize that those 'wierd' peopel were a whole lot more like you than you realized.

And I have a personal thing for Tim Curry. That little evil smirk just kills me. Dh points him out every time we see his face.... "There's your guy."

I personally would have loved a class on RHPC. But then again, I wrote my anthropology paper on the social heirarchy of restaurant and bar.

I do have to say that I like some types of campy movies like this, Monty Python, Mel Brooks, Kevin Smith movies, La Cage Aux Folles, Birdcage--- but things like Porky's, Airplane, Police Academy, Dumb and Dumber, Napoleon Dynamite, etc I cannot abide. Rocky Horror, though, I only liked because of the audience participation aspect---when I saw it on dvd by myself it was simply boring.

As to whether I would want my child to see it, not at 7, but at 17, yes, I expect she probably could.

I never did get to see RHPS at a theater, but I would have liked to. These days, if I had the opportunity to attend something like it, I would give anything to go to Buffy: The Musical "Once More, With Feeling". There was crowd participation just like RHPS, but it's Joss the Boss. What more could one want? Unfortunately it was halted at about the same time as the writers' strike due to royalty issues (I think).

As a side note for the other Joss Whedon fans, did you know Once More, With Feeling came in 13th in a BBC Channel 4 poll of the greatest musicals ever, beating such classics as Les Miserables, Cabaret, Jesus Christ Superstar, A Chorus Line and Godspell. You can check out the poll results here.

I never did get to see RHPS at a theater, but I would have liked to. These days, if I had the opportunity to attend something like it, I would give anything to go to Buffy: The Musical "Once More, With Feeling". There was crowd participation just like RHPS, but it's Joss the Boss. What more could one want? Unfortunately it was halted at about the same time as the writers' strike due to royalty issues (I think).

I didn't even know about that! That's my all-time favorite episode!

I would gladly pay twenty bucks to see Once More With Feeling on the bigscreen. We recently had a showing at home on our big tv for our 7 and 8 year old kids. We listen to the soundtrack all the time in the car, and they're always asking me what's happening during this song or that, so we all watched it together. My daughter LOVED it, but Sweet scared my son a little bit!

I liked Rocky Horror, and I thought it was funny and the music was fun to dance to and to sing along with.

I looked it up to see if it would be suitable to show my kids, and I think all the sexual stuff went right over my head because I don't remember any of that being in the movie.

I liked Rocky Horror, and I thought it was funny and the music was fun to dance to and to sing along with.

I looked it up to see if it would be suitable to show my kids, and I think all the sexual stuff went right over my head because I don't remember any of that being in the movie.

Just read some of the lyrics and you will see that it is not suitable for children

Sweet Transvestite

Touch-A Touch-A Touch Me

I Can Make You A Man

Just to name a few of the songs

I've never seen it, and have always wanted to-with the "whole experience". Of course that was when I was wild and free, and drank A LOT more! I think alcohol is for sure a big part of the whole experience. Sitting there with a DVD would not be good unless you already knew & loved it-and were drinking.:D

More info on the class in which I had to watch Rocky Horror: the professor also gave a lecture on how Batman and Robin are gay lovers, as are Bert and Ernie(!). She also gave me a "C" even though all my work received an "A" and when I went to her to get it changed, she admitted that she was hurrying to catch a plane so she just gave a "C" to everyone she hadn't finished calculating because it was going to be the right grade most of the time! So that whole class was unpleasant for me.

I was dating this one guy for a short period of time that thought the movie was great. I remember being exhausted, because I think the theater only showed it at midnight (I'm not a late-night person; never have been!) and not enjoying it at all.

I'm sorry about your professor giving you a C in that class. Hmmmm----very reminiscent of a college "honors" class I once had to take. Sometimes professors have such a broad sweep of power, it seems.

Couldn't agree more here:

I think that sort of analysis has become common on college campuses. Let's look for the "real meaning" behind Bert and Ernie or Frog and Toad. Let's shred everything and everyone we ever deemed as good and moral. There must be more to it than goodness. How could it have value if there isn't something deeper and more base going on there. Go figure.

A movie for fun? Yes, I can see that, but to have to get a grade on it----ugh!