Menu

School clothes: nice jumpers that are NOT uniforms?

I need suggestions for school dress sources - preferably online.

My 5yo dds are going to 1st grade at a Lutheran school this fall. They do not wear uniforms but have a conservative dress code.

I want to stock up on blouses and jumpers for the school year. However, I went shopping online and could hardly find any jumpers (or sleeveless dresses that could be used that way) that were not too casual or too "pretty" for school. The solid-color "uniform" jumpers/dresses were just ugly in my opinion.

Would love to hear if any of you know of a good source for nice but toned-down and not horribly expensive dresses/jumpers for young girls. Or, do I need to just wait a bit until back-to-school sales start?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about jumpers -- they can be hit and miss; but I wanted to reply with the advice that you buy a bunch of those stretchy shorts that fit tight like leggings or bike shorts and end above the knee -- before they go away. They are very popular this summer, and a variety of colours are available, but it's unusual.

If your 5 year old girls are going to wear dresses and jumpers on a daily basis, in a school setting, I can't imagine doing that without undershorts (on warmer days) and full leggings (when temperatures drop)... so it might be worth getting them while the getting's good. Buy in the colours you think your jumpers might be: some darker (navy, black) and some girly (white, yellow, pink). Honestly, these aren't available all the time, so don't miss your chance.

Thanks for the replies so far!

My kids always wear shorts or leggings under their dresses, so they can climb on the monkey bars. :) I buy them in bulk at Old Navy.

They don't have to wear jumpers, but it seems to me that would be an easy option (if I could find some!). My girls prefer dresses over pants, and jumpers are so versatile. I have tons of them which the girls are growing out of. :glare:

I've bought my younger girls French Toast jumpers to wear when we're out and about and I want them to look nice http://www.frenchtoast.com/category/girls+school+uniforms/girls+school+uniform+jumpers.do?nType=2 I don't think they look uniformy, but they are uniforms.

Lilies of the Field jumpers are adorable, very well made and affordable. Don't let the family photos on the other pages put you off, just focus on the jumpers

http://liliesapparel.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?account=X309466;search=jumpers;search=Jumpers;limit=category;v=2.0

Another suggestion-if you live in an area where there are multiple private schools, check second-hand stores. Some of the jumper designs the uniform schools use are very cute-I've bought quite a few of the ones a specific Catholic all-girls school uses for their warm-weather wardrobe, because they're nice little cotton jumpers in pastel colors (each grade level has a color, but since girls come in different sizes in the same grade level, I've been able to find them in a rainbow for my DD) They're adorable with different color and pattern turtlenecks.

I need suggestions for school dress sources - preferably online.

My 5yo dds are going to 1st grade at a Lutheran school this fall. They do not wear uniforms but have a conservative dress code.

I want to stock up on blouses and jumpers for the school year. However, I went shopping online and could hardly find any jumpers (or sleeveless dresses that could be used that way) that were not too casual or too "pretty" for school. The solid-color "uniform" jumpers/dresses were just ugly in my opinion.

Would love to hear if any of you know of a good source for nice but toned-down and not horribly expensive dresses/jumpers for young girls. Or, do I need to just wait a bit until back-to-school sales start?

Thanks in advance!

Have you thought of just outfitting them in Hannah dresses? They look put-together, are comfortable, and wear really well. They're definitely conservative.

• 1 month later...