Menu

I want a bicycle...How do you know what to buy???

I cannot spend $1000 on a bike. However, I don't want Walmart's latest. I think we will begin to ride as a family more and I am the only one without one. Most of my riding will either be on a street or light trails - no heavy duty trail riding for me. I'm out of shape and a bit over weight and plan to use it for some daily exercise as well.

I got on Craig's list and am overwhelmed at figuring this out. My best guess is that I would want a "better" bike (not the best) that I can buy used so I can afford a good one. The most I would want to spend is $300-$350. I can't spend weeks trying to research this. Does anyone have a few pointers or suggestions?

why don't you watch freecycle.

I just got my dd a new (used once) bike from freecycle. Noname brand. However, it has 10 speeds and will suit her just fine on short rides and around town to friends and activities. If bike riding becomes something more than short rides then we will look more closely at type and quality.

You should try to find out what frame size would fit you best. That way you can figure out whether or not something from freecycle (or craig's list) is even worth going to look at. The person who posted the bike I got from dd did not post frame size so I just asked her how tall she was (if she rode the bike once, I guess she wasn't versed on frame sizes).

I can't say what would be good for you.

Perhaps ask a bike knowledgeable person in your area. You might find something good that way. Perhaps a bike store near you sells used bikes?

I also want a bike. But my needs are very, very, VERY specific.

I want:

Easy rider style bike.

Double Sided kick stand.

Carrying container in back with waterproof lid.

Built in combo lock for front wheel.

Mount for strong typical combo lock.

Front basket that is not attached to handle bars, but lower down so it wouldn't turn when I move the handles.

Waterbottle holder attached to front basket that will fit my large Costco bottle.

Waterbottle holder in the typical place for spare water.

Headlights that can be detached and then plugged directly into a wall socket for easy charging. Also attached to a dynamo for when I forget to charge in advance.

Rearlights attached to a dynamo that automatically come on when biking. That way I wouldn't have to ever think about it during night riding

A nice carrying pocket for my cellphone in a easy to reach spot.

Reflective stuff in various spots to make me very visible during night riding.

At least 10 gears.

... And that is why I still have old bessie my bike. Dh sometimes bugs me to buy a new one, but I can't find the one I want. But a girl can dream. :D

I might end up one day buying a Madsen cycle, since it's the closest to what I want. But trying to get one to Canada is a pain, and I can't first test drive one. :(

Go to a bike shop and have yourself fitted. Explain your budget and see what they can do. They might have slightly used or last seasons models at a good price. Years ago we did this and the bike was perfect, although I think we spent 400 at the time. I have short legs and a long torso so size was imperative to comfort. it was a hybrid bike, so thicker frame than racing, but not full trail riding either. We sold the bike later and I regret it.

I've tried to make do with an off the rack bike and I cannot find a comfortable fit. It makes a difference in how much I want to ride. My next purchase will be with the guidance of a bike shop.

I agree with going to a bike shop. I spent about $400.00, which was more than I had planned, but they offer free adjustments for the life of the bike which has been great! I am so glad I bought my bike there and not at Target. Oh, it is a Trek hybird and I love it!

Our Trek bikes have outlasted and outperformed the 'Walmart' specials that we used to get.

It is easy to customize any features--this goes for most bikes--but the Trek bikes have awesome frames that really hold up.

Our local bike shop offers trade ins for sale at a good discount.

Our youngest dd is on her 3rd Trek bike-- our shop has a trade in deal that offers half price when they move up to the next size. DD is 5'2" at 10yrs and the bike from last year still fits-- but probably will not next... so one more trade in and she should be set through high school and possibly college!

Go to a bike shop and have yourself fitted. Explain your budget and see what they can do. They might have slightly used or last seasons models at a good price. Years ago we did this and the bike was perfect, although I think we spent 400 at the time. I have short legs and a long torso so size was imperative to comfort. it was a hybrid bike, so thicker frame than racing, but not full trail riding either. We sold the bike later and I regret it.

I've tried to make do with an off the rack bike and I cannot find a comfortable fit. It makes a difference in how much I want to ride. My next purchase will be with the guidance of a bike shop.

:iagree::iagree:

While 3 out of our 4 bikes came from a bike shop, I bought my daughter's bike at Walmart and it is my favorite bike out of the 4 bikes.

My daughter's bike is a "comfort bike". It is a mix between a mountain bike and a racer, meaning it is light weight and has thinner wheels than our mountain bikes, plus her seat is soooooooo big and comfy. :D

Her bike is a Schwinn bike ($220) and while it came from Walmart, it is very well made and compares well to our $800-1,100 bike store bikes.

I agree with going to a bike shop. I spent about $400.00, which was more than I had planned, but they offer free adjustments for the life of the bike which has been great! I am so glad I bought my bike there and not at Target. Oh, it is a Trek hybird and I love it!

:iagree:

A few months ago I broke down and traded in my old (~$250) bike for this Torker T510 model, which was about $400, and the difference is dramatic. The Torker is super lightweight, it has shocks on the front fork, shocks on the seat post, and a sprung seat, and the handle bars are adjustable in many different ways for a totally custom fit. I was originally really reluctant to spend that much on a bike, but the fact is that I very rarely rode the old one because it was just not comfortable. The very first day I had the Torker I went on a strenuous hour-&-a-half bike ride with DH & the kids, and I wasn't the least bit tired or sore the next day. We now go for rides almost every morning, and I love it. I had no idea what a difference a really well-made, well-fitted bike could make — it was totally worth the money. And it was definitely worth going to a bike shop where someone knowledgeable could help me with the correct fit (I thought my old bike was the right size for me, but it definitely wasn't), plus the bike shop offers lifetime free tune-ups. Now DH & DS want a Torker, too. ;)

Jackie

I got a Giant Sedona last year and I've been super happy with it. It's great for the roads and for light trail riding as well. The suspension and seat make this a comfy ride. I used to rip through trails on my Specialized, but I need something a little more mature nowadays. :D It does that without looking like a granny bike.

I do think a visit to a local bike store will be your best bet, though. They will fit you properly and answer your questions.

Go to a bike shop or sporting goods store and see which kinds feel comfy and look sturdy. Note the model names etc. of the ones you likje and go research them on the internets. Then keep an educated eye on Craigslist...or look for a store sale. And let everyone you know in your physical area know you are looking for a bike. Someone may volunteer to give/sell you the bike they aren't using that takes up space in the garage.

I love my Trek Navigator 2.0. It was about $350 (more after I accessorized it; I had to have those cute rattan baskets :)) and it has been worth every penny. The Nav is comfortable, easy to ride, user friendly and easy to maintain. My DS and DH liked it so much they each went and bought one. DS outgrew his so we handed it up to DD and bought DS one with a bigger frame.

We use our Navs for roads, trails and even some easy/novice mountain biking paths. We also use them for distance riding and have never been uncomfortable. We are planning on a 100 mile trip next month and have no worries.

I think you need to ask yourself a couple of questions before you select a bike.

1) how often do you plan to ride?

2) what distances do you plan on riding?

3) what is your budget

You already have set your budget so look at the other two.

If you plan on riding around the block a few times on the weekends then a less expensive bike will be fine.

If you are thinking you will ride 4+ times a week and plan on leaving some tire dust on the trails, a more expensive bike might be in order. When it comes to bikes the old adage you get what you pay for holds true. The comfort, quality and durability of the less expensive bikes just isn't worth the investment if you have to replace or repair them in a year or two.

This is my third summer with my Trek and I have never had so much as a flat tire. It gets a professional tune up every year and rides like new. I will need a new set of tires by the end of this summer but that is due to the number of miles I have put on them and the tread is beginning to show some wear.