Menu

Moms of allergic kids, I could really use some input.

So here's what happened today to Moose (ds 6 1/2).

We went to our local Whole Foods for the first time ever today. On the drive home, he starts freaking out that he can't swallow and his throat feels funny. He gets FRANTIC, insisting that he needs to go to the doctor.

I don't know what to do, because he has NEVER done this before. So drive him to the ER.

At the ER, they get him calmed down a bit, and give him some Benadryl. His face is all splotchy and puffy, but I can't tell if that's from the crying or what.

About an hour after taking the Benadryl, he says he feels some better, but his throat still feels 'a little funny'. They discharge us with instructions to continue Benadryl 2 -3 times a day for two days, as well as a recommendation for a local allergist to get allergy testing.

It was all quite alarming, and I don't even really know what happened. All I can think is that he was exposed to something at Whole Foods that he's never smelled/contacted before.

But now, a good 5 1/2 hours later, he only ate a few bites of his dinner. He even refused a brownie, :tongue_smilie:. He says he's 'not feeling good'.

What do I do? I'm a little freaked. Do I just keep a close eye on him until I can get him in to see the allergist? Ugh. This is just all new to us.

FWIW, he's always been our 'rashy' kid; gets mystery rashes somtimes. He's also had splotches around his mouth somtimes from tomatoes. He also gets eczema, which I know can be related to allergies.

Any thoughts? What do I do!?

You did the right thing taking him to the ER. Set up an appt. with an allergist asap--describe what happened today when you set up the appt; they may be able to get you in sooner. Continue to give him the Benadryl as recommended.

You done good--:001_smile: he will be okay.

Refusing the brownie? He's probably just tired. It's been a big day for him, and Benadryl makes me dopey...

Edited by Zoo Keeper

Eczema sucks. Allergies suck. I have narrowed down DD's triggers of exzema: Corn (HUGE deal for eczema sufferers it seems), strawberries, cucumbers, eggs, nuts.

She can have the above in SMALL quantities except for the nuts. But not if stuff is blooming outside or around cats.

Tomato is a night shade, and can cause inflammation, hence the rash around the mouth you mentioned.

I keep DD on an anti inflammatory type of diet as a staple, but am more laxed because after years of it she is so much better. I just have to monitor what she eats and rotate the things she is sensitive to. A good fish oil is a must! I use Carlson's lemon flavoured. They have been taking this since they were toddlers. They have smoothie type ones that are better tasting if it is something the child is not used to.

You did the right thing today. You need to setup an appointment with the allergist, and if you have a family doctor make one for as soon as possible. A round of steroids might be needed to prevent another incident.

I can't go into whole foods at all because of the food they cook in their kitchens. The air there is full of allergens. The random rashes may be hives and a big warning sign instead of just a rash. You did great today, keep an eye on him and get him to an allergist.

You did the right thing. How scary! I remember our first experience with anaphylaxis. No fun at all.

He will feel yucky for a day or so. The benedryl will make him sleepy and dopey. Get in to see a good allergist that is good with kids (our first allergist was great with my dh, but horrible with ds!). And take a deep breath. It's going to be okay. As soon as you narrow down his triggers, it'll be easier.

I would start carrying benedryl with you everywhere until you get a diagnosis from the doctor though.

Hugs to you!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

This sounds exactly like my ds when he has a reaction - including the panic. I am so sorry. What had he been eating?

Definitely get to an allergist. In fact, you might want to call your regular doc tomorrow and get an epi pen to carry until you see an allergist. We have a great allergist on our side of town. PM me if you want her contact info.

I don't want to scare you - but do make sure you wake up tonight and give him Benadryl every four hours. As the Benadryl wears off, he can get the reaction again.

:grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

This sounds exactly like my ds when he has a reaction - including the panic. I am so sorry. What had he been eating?

Definitely get to an allergist. In fact, you might want to call your regular doc tomorrow and get an epi pen to carry until you see an allergist. We have a great allergist on our side of town. PM me if you want her contact info.

I don't want to scare you - but do make sure you wake up tonight and give him Benadryl every four hours. As the Benadryl wears off, he can get the reaction again.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I was wondering about that, Jennifer. He was just now complaining that his throat felt funny again. I gave him some more Benadryl.

Man, this stinks! He'll definitely be sleeping in our room tonight. I have an email in to our pedi telling her what happened and asking if she has a allergist she recommends.

He hadn't eaten anything unusual at all today. I really don't know what caused it. I just know I don't want it to ever happen again. :(

When my son had his first reaction (he's allegic to nuts), it was severe with hives and swelling(also gagging type sounds, as he had eaten p.b.). He also vomited later in the evening. I read later that the tummy upset was a type of secondary reaction and the alkergist confirmed that when we saw him.

I would watch him closely and you might do as the previous poster said and give more benedryl later. I didn't give any extra benadryl, as I was totally unaware at the time.

Hope that helps!

homemama

Be sure to tell the allergist about any previous rashes, etc. My dd's nut allergy started this way. She would get rashes, but I didn't realize nuts were the cause. I had her tested (not because of nuts, but frequent Asthma)and she only tested as slightly allergic (I forget the number). Two years later and her sensitivity level is now 4 times higher. Her reactions have become more severe over time. Apparently this is pretty common. We never leave the house without our Epi and Benadryl! I would definitely be calling the dr. in the AM and asking for an epi prescription until you can get in to an allergist!!

I was wondering about that, Jennifer. He was just now complaining that his throat felt funny again. I gave him some more Benadryl.

Man, this stinks! He'll definitely be sleeping in our room tonight. I have an email in to our pedi telling her what happened and asking if she has a allergist she recommends.

He hadn't eaten anything unusual at all today. I really don't know what caused it. I just know I don't want it to ever happen again. :(

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Watch that boy like a hawk tonight. If it gets bad, esp already on Benadryl, don't hesitate to take him back to the ER. :grouphug::grouphug:

That sounds like a anapylactic attack. You need an epi pen. Can a doctor call on in for you ahead of seeing an allergist? :grouphug: You did the right thing taking him to the ER. Depending on how long they held him and what they gave him I'm not at all sure they handled it correctly.

:grouphug: Another pat on the back - you did the right thing.

Probably just repeating what others have said, but watch him like a hawk tonight and take him in to the ER again if this gets worse. The biphasic part of a reaction can be even worse - that can occur 4 - 8 hours later, roughly. Maybe more or less, I just watch like a hawk for a full 24 hours. Wake him up with benadryl, and I always sleep with our little one when he's had a reaction in case he can't come get us.

Also - of course, get the allergist appt. But since there may be a wait, call your pedi in the morning, take him in and tell your pedi about what happened. Get an epipen. Your pedi will Rx that for you. It will get you through until the allergist can more thoroughly explore this.

FWIW, my son has had airborne reactions to cooking foods - lentils do it every time. He does not do well in some grocery stores either - specifically Whole Foods and the natural foods section of Wegman's. Too many allergens in the air around the bulk foods aisles, we think.

That panicky feeling is terribly familiar. No mama should ever hear their child panicking that way, but listening to our kiddos is so important. They know.

Will be thinking of you tonight, and hoping all is well.

I would definitely get in to see a doctor as soon as possible. Your pediatrician would probably prescribe an epi-pen over the phone tomorrow. I would also get the liquid Benadryl singles that come individually wrapped.

I hope you guys have a peaceful night. :grouphug: I know the first night is really hard.

Here's another recent thread on the topic. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393383&highlight=anaphylaxis

I think the ER should have done more than benadryl. When you see the allergist, be sure to ask what the proper procedure should be. We've had some ERs get it right and some totally blow it. :glare:

Do they sell nuts in bulk in the same area of the store?

(FWIW, my son actually was allergic to barley when he was younger, so it is possible. He has outgrown that one.)

Hope your son is doing better.

It doesn't have to be unusual. Carrots were apparently one of my favorite snacks until I had a reaction at age 5. It can be something he has previously eaten with no problems. But reactions to eating a certain food are usually pretty quick, so if he wasn't eating anything in the 15-20 minutes before the reaction, my guess would be the bulk aisle/stuff in the air too.

Edited by Kirch

Allergies, eczema and asthma are all tied together. Get him to the allergist, like they said, and get that pen. Benedryl may keep the reaction at bay, but that doesn't mean it's out of his system yet, so keep a hawk eye on his-especially as his reaction was so severe and out of nowhere.

:grouphug:

You ladies really are the best.

Moose says he's fine this morning. I'll be carrying Bendaryl from now on, and getting him into the allergist asap.

I'm glad he feels better. I'd still call the Ped and ask for an epi-pen. I'd also get liquid Benadryl. Our allergist says it hits the system 20 minutes faster than pills. I buy single dose spoons at Walgreens.

:001_huh:

We were in the bulk food grains section, buying barley.

Oh dear. It's hard to pinpoint what might have caused it then. It's easier when there's a clear trigger.

I hope you get answers soon.

Please do consider getting an epipen from the pedi to hold you over till the allergist gets you in.

Oh dear. It's hard to pinpoint what might have caused it then. It's easier when there's a clear trigger.

I hope you get answers soon.

Please do consider getting an epipen from the pedi to hold you over till the allergist gets you in.

Were there peanuts or other nuts being ground? Does he eat peanuts or tree nuts? I only ask because our store near by sells bulk nuts and you can grind them in the store and I'm too worried to bring my son w/peanut allergy near that section. Some kids can react to the particles in the air...