Menu

Vintage Science Books: How useful? YOUR favorites?

Hunter

Yes, that's the series. Middle Girl eats them up like candy. Science candy for the brain.

THIS is where we can learn what was updated when :lol: I was reading vitamins today and lots happened around the turn of the century, concerning vitamins.

I'm just swallowed up with links and books today, but on my list is to check out the The Timetables of History to see if it will be helpful for listing major discoveries with dates.

Hunter, were you able to open any of the links for the "how to" series?

Don't click on the first link. Copy and paste the entire blue into google, trying different things between the "". Site: followed by a URL, and preceded by something in "" brings up all sorts of hidden gems when the links are disabled.

This one is hard because the English is off sometimes. "asimov" "assimov" and multiple phrases for the series.

I held one in my hot little hands for a few weeks, from ILL. It was very nice.

I just recently bought the Giant Golden book of Math; I previously had only had the smaller version. I've got the golden book of astronomy by Watson as well. HA Rey's books on the stars are interesting too.

Oooh, do tell! I looked at that biology book for months, and just couldn't get the nerve to pay the going price. Unfortunately, it's well out of my league now. I can dream though, that I'll find it at the bottom of a box of books at the local thrift. ;)

What's your opinion of the astronomy book? I haven't seen a copy of it yet. I did find that math book at the thrift store for 50 cents last year, so I was thrilled!!

Editing....

A few that I like are:

* Breakthroughs in Science by Isaac Asimov

* Giants of Medicine by Irving Robbin

* Simple Science Experiments for the Elementary Grades by Visner and Hechtlinger

* The Earth's Story by Gerald Ames and Rose Wyler

* The Story of Chemistry by Mae and Ira Freeman (and any of their other books as well)

* The Golden Book Encyclopedias

* The Rainbow Book of Nature by Donald Peattie

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

Add to that a narrative style of writing.

Sometimes with science in the younger grades, it seems better to provide an adventure story, instead of a carefully drawn map. I think it creates a desire to fill in the blank places by exploring, and gives the child the idea that there is always something more to find out. It's hard to get that idea from most of the modern, up-to-date information books available on science topics. Not all of them, but a lot of them. Either they are so crammed with information that they are hard to read (Eyewitness) or they are cartoon illustrated or made "kid-friendly" and irritating, regardless of how accurate they may be.

Yep! I think the part you wrote about "a desire to fill in the blank places by exploring" really hits the nail on the head. That's what I want in a science book!

I just bought an entire set of children's encyclopedias from 1960. I had a moment of wondering about the 'datedness' of the material but looking at the clean, uncluttered pages, the lovely watercolor illustrations and the quaint 60's feel I realized that the books contained an undefinable atmosphere that would most definitely communicate itself to dc.

Something about the books invites long, leisurely hours of rambling from subject to subject. Perhaps it's the fact that they were written in slower times? There is a sense of wonder that pours off the pages, there is a feeling of spaciousness and time for questions to sit and percolate rather than pages crammed full of photos and bytes of information.

Absolutely! I sat for hours as a young girl with a set of the Golden Encyclopedias. They were never boring, and the illustrations were wonderful! (Just take a peep at the list of illustrators in the backs of the books---Walt Disney, Feodor Rojankovsky, Gustaf Tenggren, Garth Williams, Alice and Martin Provensen, Cornelius De Witt, to name a few!)

When I was a kid, I would spend hours browsing through encyclopedias and other science books. My daughter, to my sadness, has just not done that. I have been thinking of this as the difference between two people, but now I am wondering if it is the difference in the books! I don't like the DK books that I've bought her, so I guess it shouldn't come as any surprise to me that she wouldn't like them either. They are so busy that they're chaotic. It doesn't make me feel engaged or interested to have a dozen different pictures and a dozen different topics on one two-page spread. It makes everything more superficial and less engaging.

Yes! I think I finally figured it out too, and I've been avoiding the heavily-pictured books with multiple boxes and super busy pages. They make me cross-eyed!

After seeing Stripe's link to The Human Body : What it Is and What it Does I went on a little search. I found the book for a good price and it arrived today. Oh my! It is a little work of art. Seriously beautiful illustrations, lovely font and again, an uncluttered layout that lends itself to contemplation of the subject at hand. This is one gorgeous book, really a collector's item but it will see some serious use here.

I hope I didn't sound snippy. I know I can :-( I'm sorry.

My students are disinterested in the hubble and shuttle and far more interested in where the moon comes up and why. They are screaming out for what is grounding and solid and made by God, not man. My PTSD has made me faithless but I understand where they are coming from. They want me to point them to God's incredible creation. They want to be pointed to rhythms and order and safety and what is happening under their feet. They find modern photos distracting and boring, but an occasional hand drawn sketch of an anthill is fascinating, and mostly they like to use their imagination, or draw a simplified version from Draw Write Now. Shiny busy modern pictures are downright unwelcome here :-0

Would you please move in next door to me? :001_wub:

I kind of like the All About books. I've got All About the Stars, All About the Human Body (which manages to cover reproduction and menstruation in detail without including the detail), and All About the Arctic and Antarctic (my most recent find), as well as All About The Symphony Orchestra. There are a couple pictures here http://www.valerieslivingbooks.info/allabout.htm

I realized I have an All About rocks book.

I did take a look at the stars book. It is very engaging but utterly outdated.

I find the style of the Golden book of astronomy to be very good too. I quite liked its description of an eclipse. It has rather meaty entries.

I did cave in and track down a set of the Golden book od knowledge. I plan to take a good look at it today. I can not buy anymore.

When stripe and Poke Salad Annie start talking about vintage books, I always enjoy reading about their finds (even though I have to sit on my hands so I don't click 'Buy'). :D

I don't think these have been mentioned - perhaps they're not old enough to be considered vintage - but I enjoy Jeanne Bendick's narratives. I first found her through the "The First Book" series, which is similar to the "All About" series.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/71460483/the-first-book-of-trains-childs-vintage

Along the picture book lines, I also enjoy Joe Kaufman's series, which were Golden Books.

http://postapocalyptichomeschool.blogspot.com/2012/03/joe-kaufmans-big-book-about-earth-and.html

This author, M. Ilin or M. Ilyin, seems to be hard to find perhaps because some of his other works are about Soviet ideology? His books on science and inventions are interesting.

Black On White : The Story of Books

http://archive.org/stream/blackonwhitestor00inilin#page/n5/mode/2up

Turning Night Into Day: The Story of Lighting

http://books.google.com/books?id=CZM9AAAAIAAJ&lpg=PR3&ots=xpCGavYT2_&dq=m.%20ilin%20Turning%20Night%20into%20Day&pg=PA7#v=onepage&q=m.%20ilin%20Turning%20Night%20into%20Day&f=false

Edited by leeyeewah

When stripe and Poke Salad Annie start talking about vintage books, I always enjoy reading about their finds (even though I have to sit on my hands so I don't click 'Buy'). :D

Thanks for sharing your finds!

I always worry when I post about a book that I like, as someone else may not see the same quality in it as I do. Don't let me be your enabler. ;)

The books that I list have almost always been found for about a quarter at a local thrift shop. Others I have ordered when the price was reasonable. Some of the books I've listed have gone up in price so much that they are no longer worth buying. That's a shame, but I guess it's that way with supply and demand. I think the Provensen-illustrated version of The Iliad and the Odyssey has risen in price to over $60 or more by now. It is a beautiful book, but that's just too much. I found my copy at a used bookstore for about $6---and it's well worth that price to me.

Keep looking at thrift shops, garage sales, estate sales, and used book stores for these treasures. You never know what will turn up! :)

Those Jeanne Bendick books are wonderful!

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Could both Stripe and Poke Salad Annie please list every vintage book that they have ever bought on every subject and love?:lol: Seriously, you all have wonderful recommendations!

Here are some of my favorites:

Nature:

Small Creatures in My Garden by Reynolds

Through the Magnifying Glass by Schwartz/Bendick

Olive Earle books

Anna Pistorius books

The Nature Library!!! by Seton, Blanchan, McCurdy, Rogers, etc

Our Amazing Birds by Lemmon

I have to run now but I will post more later.

Edited by Mommyof3boys

Sorry I have been really busy. I look forward to checking out all these links when I get a chance.

I won an auction at Ebay for a set of 1970 Golden Book Encyclopedias. I think my boys had a slightly newer set, but not the blue 1988 set. I don't remember the savages part. I'm not sure what I'm getting.

After seeing Stripe's link to The Human Body : What it Is and What it Does I went on a little search. I found the book for a good price and it arrived today. Oh my! It is a little work of art. Seriously beautiful illustrations, lovely font and again, an uncluttered layout that lends itself to contemplation of the subject at hand. This is one gorgeous book, really a collector's item but it will see some serious use here.

I found a couple more intriguing titles by (I think) the same author...

American Science and Invention: A Pictorial History

Seesaws to Cosmic Rays: A First View of Physics

Sorry I have been really busy. I look forward to checking out all these links when I get a chance.

I won an auction at Ebay for a set of 1970 Golden Book Encyclopedias. I think my boys had a slightly newer set, but not the blue 1988 set. I don't remember the savages part. I'm not sure what I'm getting.

Yeah, I was perusing the Book of Knowledge. They are very careful to include lots of cautionary comments like people are really all the same, but then a long and honestly mind-numbingly boring analysis of different racial groups -- boring because it's so non-specific. It's the sort of book that's generally not horrendously offensive, but the text sort of casually drops comments that are a bit startling in today's world.

"Caucasoids, sometimes inaccurately called the white race, include all peoples with pinkish-white skins, although there are many olive and brown-sknned Caucasoids, too. Their head shapes are either long or round. The hair is fine textured, of all colors, and is either straight, wavy, or curly." Yawn.

In case you didn't get enough, there's a whole article on the Negro Peoples of Africa, yeah well, "Somalis have delicate, almost feminine features." Well then! It ends this way -- "As Africa becomes more civilized, ancient practices such as cannibalism are dying out. The witch doctor with his magic is less feared and respected than he used to be. The concern of Africans is more with government and education than with black magic. In fact, the Dark Continent is becoming less a mysterious land of savages and more a rich land of educated men."

There is one map (I can't remember where, sorry) with people of the world that did not impress me. Everyone in Africa appeared to be wearing a dhoti and was topless and appeared to be male. The Arab was taking a nap (the only horizontal participant). Everyone in Asia had a greenish, Martian hue.

And, be warned, delicate souls. Volume three has an article on..."The Ass."

And it's outdated, with its article on Pakistan (East and West --> no longer exists as such) and Rhodesia.

All in all, the presentation is interesting and totally varied -- it's a really interesting concept! -- and includes all the hot button topics of prehistory, Darwin, races, and Socrates' suicide.

So I kind of like it, but it's got its moments!

I found a couple more intriguing titles by (I think) the same author...

American Science and Invention: A Pictorial History

Seesaws to Cosmic Rays: A First View of Physics

Did a little googling on these. I can't tell who the illustrator is and that is the real draw for me. However the titles are so wonderfully poetic. The actual full title of the first book is :: American Science and Invention, a Pictorial History; the fabulous story of how American dreamers, wizards, and inspired tinkerers converted a wilderness into the wonder of the world.

Seriously, that is one fabulous title and certainly enough to inspire one to dip into its pages.

Yeah, I was perusing the Book of Knowledge. They are very careful to include lots of cautionary comments like people are really all the same, but then a long and honestly mind-numbingly boring analysis of different racial groups -- boring because it's so non-specific. It's the sort of book that's generally not horrendously offensive, but the text sort of casually drops comments that are a bit startling in today's world.

"Caucasoids, sometimes inaccurately called the white race, include all peoples with pinkish-white skins, although there are many olive and brown-sknned Caucasoids, too. Their head shapes are either long or round. The hair is fine textured, of all colors, and is either straight, wavy, or curly." Yawn.

In case you didn't get enough, there's a whole article on the Negro Peoples of Africa, yeah well, "Somalis have delicate, almost feminine features." Well then! It ends this way -- "As Africa becomes more civilized, ancient practices such as cannibalism are dying out. The witch doctor with his magic is less feared and respected than he used to be. The concern of Africans is more with government and education than with black magic. In fact, the Dark Continent is becoming less a mysterious land of savages and more a rich land of educated men."

There is one map (I can't remember where, sorry) with people of the world that did not impress me. Everyone in Africa appeared to be wearing a dhoti and was topless and appeared to be male. The Arab was taking a nap (the only horizontal participant). Everyone in Asia had a greenish, Martian hue.

And, be warned, delicate souls. Volume three has an article on..."The Ass."

And it's outdated, with its article on Pakistan (East and West --> no longer exists as such) and Rhodesia.

All in all, the presentation is interesting and totally varied -- it's a really interesting concept! -- and includes all the hot button topics of prehistory, Darwin, races, and Socrates' suicide.

So I kind of like it, but it's got its moments!

Oh, yes, the Golden Treasury of Knowledge, complete with articles on how wondrous plastics will improve our lives and detailed rundown of fur-bearing animals, all the better to inform the fur-wearing young lady of the future of her shopping options!

Every volume has at least one article (and maybe several) that are no longer PC or wildly out of date, but depending on the age group you're teaching, some of the stuff can be a good starting point--and the rest can simply be avoided.

Edited by kubiac

Oh, yes, the Golden Treasury of Knowledge, complete with articles on how wondrous plastics will improve our lives and detailed rundown of fur-bearing animals, all the better to inform the fur-wearing young lady of the future of her shopping options!

That is truly hilarious.

When I was a brand-new homeschooler and was on the lookout for old books, I found an old science book in an antique store. It looked charming. The fact that it was written in the 1930s only added to its charm. But I really shouldn't have been surprised when one chapter began, "No one has ever been to the moon..." ;)

When I was a brand-new homeschooler and was on the lookout for old books, I found an old science book in an antique store. It looked charming. The fact that it was written in the 1930s only added to its charm. But I really shouldn't have been surprised when one chapter began, "No one has ever been to the moon..." ;)

:lol:

That reminds me of the time I got so frustrated with my daughter when she couldn't find the word computer in the (vintage) dictionary. Oops! Wasn't in there. :001_smile:

Edited by helena

I was given a bunch of science books from my grandmother. She is a science and history buff, so I lucked out when she needed to downsize. :001_smile: The problem is some of them were really old. I picked up the Astronomy Today textbook she had given me and it was the 2nd edition. :ohmy: They are currently on the 7th edition. I was worried it would be super outdated. Then I saw the Chapter Objectives. I've been wanting to make a more research/inquiry-based science curriculum. So I think I might make task cards out of the chapter objectives and let him find the answers himself through the internet and other books. It seems like a good way to reuse those books I got.

This is how I will be using an older biology book for this year. At the back of the chapters are wonderful sources for discussion and extra research. My book has these extra activities--

* Questions for Review

* Biologically Speaking (vocabulary words to look up)

* Applying Facts and Principles (Good, thought-provoking questions)

* Research on Your Own (experiments and projects)

* More About Biology (a list of additional reading--I was surprised at the authors who show up in these book lists--many WTM and CM favorites)

I haven't seen anything comparable to stimulate discussion, interest and research. The newer texts all seem to have the answers already laid out on the pages, and there are too many loud, glaring pictures. I really love the simplicity of an older b/w text. You can actually notice the occasional boxes or diagrams in these older books.

• 1 month later...

I just have to tell you all how much I enjoyed this thread. I bookmarked it back in July and finally was able to read it all.

Here is what arrived on my front porch today. I paid $2 for this - shipped. (Had an Eversave for BetterWorldBooks - like a Groupon.)

I just have to tell you all how much I enjoyed this thread. I bookmarked it back in July and finally was able to read it all.

Here is what arrived on my front porch today. I paid $2 for this - shipped. (Had an Eversave for BetterWorldBooks - like a Groupon.)

Excellent! Middle Girl just finished Asimov's Breakthroughs in Science and pronounced it The Best. Book. Ever. Here's the Kirkus review:

"In the lucid and information packed style that has rendered the author outstanding in the juvenile science field, Isaac Asimov describes twenty-six men and the moments at which they reversed the course of scientific thought. From Archimedes to Robert Hutchings Goddard, these men accomplished a major breakthrough by establishing original and hitherto unrevealed laws. And from these laws the course of science assumed a dramatically new direction. Embracing every area of science, this is a readable text which should interest even the most reluctant student, and is therefore recommended to school libraries."

Excellent! Middle Girl just finished Asimov's Breakthroughs in Science and pronounced it The Best. Book. Ever. Here's the Kirkus review:

"In the lucid and information packed style that has rendered the author outstanding in the juvenile science field, Isaac Asimov describes twenty-six men and the moments at which they reversed the course of scientific thought. From Archimedes to Robert Hutchings Goddard, these men accomplished a major breakthrough by establishing original and hitherto unrevealed laws. And from these laws the course of science assumed a dramatically new direction. Embracing every area of science, this is a readable text which should interest even the most reluctant student, and is therefore recommended to school libraries."

I put this on hold for my ds11. Thank you!

• 11 months later...

Has anyone used any of the Child's Book of Nature?

http://books.google.com/books?id=4FFHAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Or the Science Readers?

http://books.google.com/books?id=I6ABAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:J9LLLslw7lwC&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nJ39UZahMe7B4AP0yoG4AQ&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=grMXAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:J9LLLslw7lwC&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nJ39UZahMe7B4AP0yoG4AQ&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=0rQXAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:J9LLLslw7lwC&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nJ39UZahMe7B4AP0yoG4AQ&ved=0CFAQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=RLQXAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:J9LLLslw7lwC&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nJ39UZahMe7B4AP0yoG4AQ&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=Q7QXAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:J9LLLslw7lwC&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nJ39UZahMe7B4AP0yoG4AQ&ved=0CFYQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=OKABAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:J9LLLslw7lwC&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nJ39UZahMe7B4AP0yoG4AQ&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=V6ABAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:J9LLLslw7lwC&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nJ39UZahMe7B4AP0yoG4AQ&ved=0CEQQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Yesterday's Classics has quite a few vintage texts and is publishing 2 new books a week, a few of which are going to be science texts.

http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/catalog/displaycatalog.php?catalog=nature

Ambleside Geography plan using vintage texts

http://www.amblesideonline.org/geographysch.shtml

I just thought I'd bump this thread, and see where people are at now about the topic.

As a kid I loved The universe and Dr. Einstein, by Lincoln Barnett. Of course it asserts that the good doctor is still alive, but the introduction to relativity is still helpful and clear.

Years later I also liked Two New sciences, by Galileo, and Einstein's own little popular introductions to his theories. Einstein's theory of (special) relativity is over 100 years old now, of course.

One feature of Galileo's proof that a projectile moves along a parabolic arc was his remark that the argument is approximate since it assumes falsely that the earth's surface is flat. This fact is usually overlooked in modern calculus textbooks.

And I found the word "computer" in my 1934 Webster's new international unabridged dictionary, between "compute" and "computing machine". Computers too are well over 100 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Babbage

Atomic theory is also quite old, and the freshman reading list at Harvard (in philosophy) included works, I believe, by Democritus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democritus

and Lucretius:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucretius

Many people also appreciate Newton's Principia.

I just bought an old copy of One Two Three Infinity by George Gamow. A man at the used book store recommended it to me. It has great illustrations!

My kids will probably never want to read it so I'm passing it on to a friend. Thought it might be worth a mention here. :)