Menu

Vintage Science Books: How useful? YOUR favorites?

Hunter

My opinion only...

The only vintage science textbook I would even consider using as an informational text for my kids is the Handbook of Nature Study (still in print).

I collect vintage geology and earth science textbooks because I am interested in the history of the science and how ideas change over time, but I am not going to use them too teach my kids because it would require a ton of work editing to modern understanding and supplementing with additional information now understood. As an example, plate tectonics wasn't understood/accepted until the 1970s and it is foundational to the current understanding of earth processes. There are wonderful modern books out there and I don't have the time or inclination to fill in the gaps when using antique sources.

That said, there are a few textbooks (mostly college-level) that were first released decades ago, but that have remained in print after being updated every few years. Say a book is currently in the 11th edition....I might still buy the 10th edition if the price savings were significant. I wouldn't use the first editions of that text to teach from, though.

Botany:

Plants and Their Children by Mrs. William Starr Dana

According to Season by Mrs. William Starr Dana

Entomology:

Insect Ways by Clarence M. Weed

Dame Bug and Her Babies by Edith Marion Patch (available for 12.95 plus $3 shipping: checks made out to The University of Maine Foundation and mailed to: Friends of Dr. Edith Marion Patch, 52 Penobscot Street, Orono, ME 04473)

Adventures with Insects by Richard Headstrom

Other:

Wild Season by Allan W. Eckert (food chain)

The Living Year by Richard Headstrom

Adventures with a Microscope by Richard Headstrom

Adventures with Freshwater Animals by Richard Headstrom

Science in Your Own Backyard by Elizabeth K. Cooper

Adventures in Nature by Edwin Way Teale

My husband, a PhD in Chemistry, says so much has changed in in the last 10-15 years even that vintage books would be quite out of date. For example, there are many more elements on the periodic table in the last 100 years, physics has changed a lot with regards to dark matter and dark energy in the last 10 years. He said it isn't like the vintage books don't have value, he has just found that kids are more interested in science when it can be applied to their lives today, such as GPS (which is based on the ideas of relativity in physics that are fairy new).

I don't think books from the 1950s about how a flower grows or the parts of an insect or the human skeletal system or the water cycle or the importance of brushing one's teeth are out of date, sorry.

Most of the original "Let's Read and Find Out" books that so many people on here recommend, were written or co-written by Franklyn Branley, who died ten years ago. Some have had minor revisions since they were published, or new illustrations, but otherwise these are still being read by tons of members on here.

I also can't imagine that GPS and the theory of relativity are the first questions about science that young children have. I think questions about why the sky is blue or how flowers grow or how babies are born are still worth talking about.

I like vintage science books, and I love their illustrations. My son has learned tons from The Human Body illustrated by De Witt. Which is not even an "accurate" representation of the systems but manages to communicate how the body works. I haven't seen anything like it in modern books. And that's okay with me.

I think it's a good exercise in seeing that knowledge and understanding changes. Heck, in my kids' lifetime, pediatricians have changed their recommendation on introducing solids and which vaccinations are important. And that's okay. Life is not static, neither is knowledge, and one can still learn things from the old. I can't imagine that it would really cause a major intellectual crisis.

How many of us have an atlas or globe that shows South Sudan on it?

And yet, still we go on.

Oh Stripe--I love that human body book! Those illustrations are just fabulous. :) One of my boys would simply adore that book, if I could ever find it.

Thanks for the cool links.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
When will I learn not to type and hold the baby at the same time...typo city...

Botany:

Plants and Their Children by Mrs. William Starr Dana

According to Season by Mrs. William Starr Dana

Entomology:

Insect Ways by Clarence M. Weed

Dame Bug and Her Babies by Edith Marion Patch (available for 12.95 plus $3 shipping: checks made out to The University of Maine Foundation and mailed to: Friends of Dr. Edith Marion Patch, 52 Penobscot Street, Orono, ME 04473)

Adventures with Insects by Richard Headstrom

Other:

Wild Season by Allan W. Eckert (food chain)

The Living Year by Richard Headstrom

Adventures with a Microscope by Richard Headstrom

Adventures with Freshwater Animals by Richard Headstrom

Science in Your Own Backyard by Elizabeth K. Cooper

Adventures in Nature by Edwin Way Teale

Kalmia, thank you so much for this list!

I'm very confused by people who say ALL science books are outdated and useless. That makes NO sense to me whatsoever :confused: I think a lot of us could use some assistance in being informed about the major changes in BASIC science. All that new advanced stuff is probably just going to be disproven or added to anyway. I'm talking about beavers and grass and ants and how the periodic table WORKS. I don't care what the current NUMBER of rare elements recently discovered. I want to know about gold and silver and helium.

For maps, I don't care so much about recent changes in political borders, but want to know about the rivers and mountains and biomes. Lately I'm not bothering to attempt to master anything that changes so quickly. If it changes that quickly it probably isn't worth studying, because it's just going to change again, right?

I guess there are no scientist who can say, "This is a great book on beavers, but page 28 says ... and modern scientists now believe ... "?

Kalmia, thank you so much for this list!

I'm very confused by people who say ALL science books are outdated and useless. That makes NO sense to me whatsoever :confused: I think a lot of us could use some assistance in being informed about the major changes in BASIC science. All that new advanced stuff is probably just going to be disproven or added to anyway. I'm talking about beavers and grass and ants and how the periodic table WORKS. I don't care what the current NUMBER of rare elements recently discovered. I want to know about gold and silver and helium.

For maps, I don't care so much about recent changes in political borders, but want to know about the rivers and mountains and biomes. Lately I'm not bothering to attempt to master anything that changes so quickly. If it changes that quickly it probably isn't worth studying, because it's just going to change again, right?

I guess there are no scientist who can say, "This is a great book on beavers, but page 28 says ... and modern scientists now believe ... "?

:iagree:

Personally the way I look at it is, if they were good enough to produce some of the great scientists and mathematicians of today, surely they are good enough for kids now. I can see not using vintage for high school level or college, but for elementary it is much more important that they understand the general concept and develop a love of science than knowing all the small details.

In the last 50 years the number of students per pursuing higher science has declined greatly, and I have to wonder if some of these newer, drier fact filled textbooks aren't to blame.

ETA: And wouldn't the textbooks used in 1st and 2nd be outdated materials by the time a student graduates from high school 12 years later anyways?

Oh Stripe--I love that human body book! Those illustrations are just fabulous. :) One of my boys would simple adore that book, if I could ever find it.

I cannot believe -- seriously -- how expensive it is. It was available really cheaply online when I got my copy. Yikes.

I don't think books from the 1950s about how a flower grows or the parts of an insect or the human skeletal system or the water cycle or the importance of brushing one's teeth are out of date, sorry.

Most of the original "Let's Read and Find Out" books that so many people on here recommend, were written or co-written by Franklyn Branley, who died ten years ago. Some have had minor revisions since they were published, or new illustrations, but otherwise these are still being read by tons of members on here.

I also can't imagine that GPS and the theory of relativity are the first questions about science that young children have. I think questions about why the sky is blue or how flowers grow or how babies are born are still worth talking about.

I like vintage science books, and I love their illustrations. My son has learned tons from The Human Body illustrated by De Witt. Which is not even an "accurate" representation of the systems but manages to communicate how the body works. I haven't seen anything like it in modern books. And that's okay with me.

I think it's a good exercise in seeing that knowledge and understanding changes. Heck, in my kids' lifetime, pediatricians have changed their recommendation on introducing solids and which vaccinations are important. And that's okay. Life is not static, neither is knowledge, and one can still learn things from the old. I can't imagine that it would really cause a major intellectual crisis.

How many of us have an atlas or globe that shows South Sudan on it?

And yet, still we go on.

I wasn't trying to say anything bad. My dh was thinking more for high school level (which I am on the k-8 board so I shouldn't have said anything anyway). Like he said, they still have value. He just thinks kids might miss out on pictures from Hubble or the shuttle program, talking about science that is new and exciting. I agree with you for basic science, vintage books are great.

I'm just really looking for some guidelines. When to use certain types of books, and when not to.

The approach to teaching science and geography has changed, and the modern approaches aren't working for me as a teacher, and often are not working for my students. All the eye candy and technicality it distracting and inapplicable to them.

The vintage authors had many of the same priorities that I have. When I read the old teacher's manuals and periodicals, I find the debates grounded in the reality of the lives of their students, that is missing from current manuals and guides.

Not only are a lot of these resources free and cheap, but they resonate with my teaching style. And my students are intrigued and sometimes awed. They listen captivated when I read these books aloud. "That was written when?" they ask. "Why don't we have books like that now?" and "This works better for me!"

I'm trying to prepare for winter, when certain students are depressed and won't get out of bed and I climb on the bed with them and won't stop reading till they get up. The lack of pictures is a plus, as they often have their head under the covers :-)

Primary level books about beavers and bees are not above them. They never learned about these things. The introduction of beavers, ants and bees was met with disbelief here, but they are learning that this stuff is true, and seem in no rush to graduate from it. And they adore being able to tell their nieces and nephews about it all, and to be praised by their moms and sisters for helping out with the children.

I'm not ready to abandon these books. I need help navigating though.

I wasn't trying to say anything bad. My dh was thinking more for high school level (which I am on the k-8 board so I shouldn't have said anything anyway). Like he said, they still have value. He just thinks kids might miss out on pictures from Hubble or the shuttle program, talking about science that is new and exciting. I agree with you for basic science, vintage books are great.

I hope I didn't sound snippy. I know I can :-( I'm sorry.

My students are disinterested in the hubble and shuttle and far more interested in where the moon comes up and why. They are screaming out for what is grounding and solid and made by God, not man. My PTSD has made me faithless but I understand where they are coming from. They want me to point them to God's incredible creation. They want to be pointed to rhythms and order and safety and what is happening under their feet. They find modern photos distracting and boring, but an occasional hand drawn sketch of an anthill is fascinating, and mostly they like to use their imagination, or draw a simplified version from Draw Write Now. Shiny busy modern pictures are downright unwelcome here :-0

Although the old science books don't mention Pluto either!

I have come across more than one musing about "one day when man goes to the moon...."

I kind of like the All About books. I've got All About the Stars, All About the Human Body (which manages to cover reproduction and menstruation in detail without including the detail), and All About the Arctic and Antarctic (my most recent find), as well as All About The Symphony Orchestra. There are a couple pictures here http://www.valerieslivingbooks.info/allabout.htm

Edited by stripe

All About the Atom looks familiar :-0 I think I owned that at one time.

The geography books about proof the world is round are interesting.

Although the old science books don't mention Pluto either!

I have come across more than one musing about "one day when man goes to the moon...."

I kind of like the All About books. I've got All About the Stars, All About the Human Body (which manages to cover reproduction and menstruation in detail without including the detail), and All About the Arctic and Antarctic (my most recent find), as well as All About The Symphony Orchestra. There are a couple pictures here http://www.valerieslivingbooks.info/allabout.htm

I just bought an entire set of children's encyclopedias from 1960. I had a moment of wondering about the 'datedness' of the material but looking at the clean, uncluttered pages, the lovely watercolor illustrations and the quaint 60's feel I realized that the books contained an undefinable atmosphere that would most definitely communicate itself to dc.

Something about the books invites long, leisurely hours of rambling from subject to subject. Perhaps it's the fact that they were written in slower times? There is a sense of wonder that pours off the pages, there is a feeling of spaciousness and time for questions to sit and percolate rather than pages crammed full of photos and bytes of information.

Something about the books invites long, leisurely hours of rambling from subject to subject. Perhaps it's the fact that they were written in slower times? There is a sense of wonder that pours off the pages, there is a feeling of spaciousness and time for questions to sit and percolate rather than pages crammed full of photos and bytes of information.

When I was a kid, I would spend hours browsing through encyclopedias and other science books. My daughter, to my sadness, has just not done that. I have been thinking of this as the difference between two people, but now I am wondering if it is the difference in the books! I don't like the DK books that I've bought her, so I guess it shouldn't come as any surprise to me that she wouldn't like them either. They are so busy that they're chaotic. It doesn't make me feel engaged or interested to have a dozen different pictures and a dozen different topics on one two-page spread. It makes everything more superficial and less engaging. On some level, I guess I knew that, because these books sit on the shelf collecting dust. But I'm embarrassed that I never really thought about it that critically, figured out why, or planned what to do about it!

The vintage books that you (plural) have mentioned here, are these only for the younger/elementary years? Or are there good ones for middle schoolers as well?

Not exactly vintage, but OOP and old-ish ... Isaac Asimov's How Did We Find Out series is still a good and readable guide to introductory science. Sure we know a bit more about, say, black holes now - and he was ironically completely off about the robots - but how microwaves work and how we discovered Neptune are unchanged.

I cannot believe -- seriously -- how expensive it is. It was available really cheaply online when I got my copy. Yikes.

It'll probably be available cheap again. i got my copy for $1. OOP book prices fluctuate wildly.

ETA: If you want vintage, beautiful, and outrageously priced, look for The Giant Golden Book of Biology.

Edited by Sharon in Austin

I love this board because I can express my inner-librarian!

Here are few more I found on my shelves:

Stories of Rocks and Minerals for the Grammar Grades by Harold W. Fairbanks

A Trip to the Pond: An Adventure in Nature by Melita Hofmann

Near Horizons by Edwin Way Teale

Our Insect Friends and Foes and Spiders: The National Geographic Society 1935

Collecting Cocoons by Lois J. Hussey and Catherine Pessino

Our Living World of Nature (Series) published by McGraw-Hill Book Company: (1970s) Includes some of the following titles:

The Life of the African Plains

The Life of the Pond

The Life of Rivers and Streams

The Life of the Mountains

The Life of Prairies and Streams

The Life of the Marsh

The Life of the Desert

The Life of the Seashore

I love this board because I can express my inner-librarian!

Here are few more I found on my shelves:

Stories of Rocks and Minerals for the Grammar Grades by Harold W. Fairbanks

A Trip to the Pond: An Adventure in Nature by Melita Hofmann

Near Horizons by Edwin Way Teale

Our Insect Friends and Foes and Spiders: The National Geographic Society 1935

Collecting Cocoons by Lois J. Hussey and Catherine Pessino

Our Living World of Nature (Series) published by McGraw-Hill Book Company: (1970s) Includes some of the following titles:

The Life of the African Plains

The Life of the Pond

The Life of Rivers and Streams

The Life of the Mountains

The Life of Prairies and Streams

The Life of the Marsh

The Life of the Desert

The Life of the Seashore

The titles alone are enough to make me swoon :-)

When I was a kid, I would spend hours browsing through encyclopedias and other science books. My daughter, to my sadness, has just not done that. I have been thinking of this as the difference between two people, but now I am wondering if it is the difference in the books! I don't like the DK books that I've bought her, so I guess it shouldn't come as any surprise to me that she wouldn't like them either. They are so busy that they're chaotic. It doesn't make me feel engaged or interested to have a dozen different pictures and a dozen different topics on one two-page spread. It makes everything more superficial and less engaging. On some level, I guess I knew that, because these books sit on the shelf collecting dust. But I'm embarrassed that I never really thought about it that critically, figured out why, or planned what to do about it!

The vintage books that you (plural) have mentioned here, are these only for the younger/elementary years? Or are there good ones for middle schoolers as well?

The science section is the only part of the bookstore I can go into and honestly find nothing I want to own.

At gutenberg.org this listing for Worlds Greatest books vol 15 - science - http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25509

includes these books:

Hypnotism : Its history, practice and theory / Bramwell -- Natural history / Buffon -- Vestiges of creation / Chambers -- Surface of the globe / Cuvier -- Origin of species / Darwin -- Elements of chemical philosophy / Davy -- Experimental researches in electricity / Faraday -- Chemical history of a candle / Faraday -- Senses of insects / Forel -- Dialogues on the system of the world / Galileo -- Essays in eugenics / Galton -- Evolution of man / Haeckel -- On the motion of the heart and blood / Harvey -- Outlines of astronomy / Herschel -- Cosmos, a sketch of the universe / Humboldt -- Theory of the Earth / Hutton -- Zoological philosophy / Lamarck -- Physiogonomical fragments / Lavater -- Animal chemistry / Liebig -- Principles of geology / Lyell -- Treatise on electricity and magnetism / Maxwell -- Nature of man / Metchnikoff -- Prolongation of life / Metchnikoff -- Old red sandstone / Miller -- Principia / Newton -- Anatomy of vertebrates / Owen -- Cellular pathology / Virchow.

Greta, I was the same way as you were, and my kids, like yours, are not, and I DO think the books are the difference.

An older homeschool mom was the first that turned me onto these books (she is big on wonder, and all of her kids went to ivy leagues) and then when we were talking about good science books one day one here-The Happy Scientist (Mr. Krampf) concurred, that these were great books.

These are most definitely for middle schoolers.

Add to that a narrative style of writing.

My favorite so far has to be the Fairbanks book on geology. Just reading and studying the rocks using that book as a spine for our rock section of earth science got both of my boys interested in picking up rocks, hunting for rocks and learning about volcanoes, fossils, etc. It wasn't interesting before that.

And I had plenty of modern resources--we've got a good library.

Now we've got a jumping off place. Because Fairbanks painted such a vivid idea of what the earth might have been like at one time, however wrong it might be, the boys want to find out more about it. Because they got to hear the composition of quartz in a narrative style, augmented by a good specimen box, they wanted to go dig it out of the ground, and they are full of delight when they find something unusual. (Yesterday my older boy brought home a rock with a very pretty line of rose quartz running through it.) Because Fairbanks talked about petroleum as a substitute for whale oil that sparked a desire to find out about whaling, and ships and adventures at sea.

Sometimes with science in the younger grades, it seems better to provide an adventure story, instead of a carefully drawn map. I think it creates a desire to fill in the blank places by exploring, and gives the child the idea that there is always something more to find out. It's hard to get that idea from most of the modern, up-to-date information books available on science topics. Not all of them, but a lot of them. Either they are so crammed with information that they are hard to read (Eyewitness) or they are cartoon illustrated or made "kid-friendly" and irritating, regardless of how accurate they may be.

Greta, I was the same way as you were, and my kids, like yours, are not, and I DO think the books are the difference.

An older homeschool mom was the first that turned me onto these books (she is big on wonder, and all of her kids went to ivy leagues) and then when we were talking about good science books one day one here-The Happy Scientist (Mr. Krampf) concurred, that these were great books.

These are most definitely for middle schoolers.

Thank you so much, Mouse. I will definitely look for these books! I feel that sense of wonder is super important, indescribably so. I really want to nurture that in my daughter.

Not exactly vintage, but OOP and old-ish ... Isaac Asimov's How Did We Find Out series is still a good and readable guide to introductory science. Sure we know a bit more about, say, black holes now - and he was ironically completely off about the robots - but how microwaves work and how we discovered Neptune are unchanged.

My daughter loves Asimov's Lucky Starr series (fiction) , so much that she would be automatically interested in reading anything else by him. Thank you for mentioning these! I don't know what reading level they are, but I ordered one anyway to find out!

At gutenberg.org this listing for Worlds Greatest books vol 15 - science - http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25509

includes these books:

Hypnotism : Its history, practice and theory / Bramwell -- Natural history / Buffon -- Vestiges of creation / Chambers -- Surface of the globe / Cuvier -- Origin of species / Darwin -- Elements of chemical philosophy / Davy -- Experimental researches in electricity / Faraday -- Chemical history of a candle / Faraday -- Senses of insects / Forel -- Dialogues on the system of the world / Galileo -- Essays in eugenics / Galton -- Evolution of man / Haeckel -- On the motion of the heart and blood / Harvey -- Outlines of astronomy / Herschel -- Cosmos, a sketch of the universe / Humboldt -- Theory of the Earth / Hutton -- Zoological philosophy / Lamarck -- Physiogonomical fragments / Lavater -- Animal chemistry / Liebig -- Principles of geology / Lyell -- Treatise on electricity and magnetism / Maxwell -- Nature of man / Metchnikoff -- Prolongation of life / Metchnikoff -- Old red sandstone / Miller -- Principia / Newton -- Anatomy of vertebrates / Owen -- Cellular pathology / Virchow.

Thanks. Some of these are WAY above us, but, it's a nice collection to have.

I've owned the Chemical History of the Candle in the past. How do the other 2 books rate in difficulty level?

On the Motion is most definitely harder, and it all depends on where your kid is. If they're used to the harder language, then it should be a challenging read.

it seems better to provide an adventure story, instead of a carefully drawn map.

This is food for thought. Someone could turn this into a philophy or a method and market it and make all sorts of money, and years later we could all say, we were there when critterfixer said it first. Some of the progym curricula and LCC and others started with conversations like this one, on classical message boards and lists.

I'm still trying to grasp all of what is different in the new books compared to the old ones. I think it is all of the things you all have listed, and maybe more, but somewhere along the line I think we have lost SO much more than we have gained. This thread has only increased my desire to learn more about vintage science texts.

An OOP book doesn't have to be 100 years old for a publisher to buy the rights to reprint it. I have the feeling there is a LOT of money for a scientist to make, scooping up the printing rights to some 1950s books and slightly editing them.

Can you all see the company logo using a slightly edited version of critterfixer's words of wisdom? :lol:

Is this a free full version of How Did We Find Out the Earth is Round?

Earthquakes

I cannot get this to turn into a proper link, but of you google "how to find out" site:http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/

Also use "asimov"

Edited by Hunter

I love these lists! My children really prefer the narrative style too. I have found an inexpensive copy of Stories of Rocks and Minerals and have placed the order (after a quick look at a free copy online). What a wonderful way to write about rocks and minerals! I have been forever trying to find a good book on rocks and minerals for my son. All of them have been field guides but they don't answer his questions. This one should fit the bill.

A big thank you to everyone who posted!

I have the Handbook of Nature Studies by Anna Comstock in pdf, it's a thousand pages of studying plants, animals and some earth science. It seems there are two versions digitized, one saying for teachers and parents which I found on google books dated 1922. I don't remember where I found the first one which is dated 1911. Books like this makes my ereader worth it!

The Chemical History of a Candle is available from LibriVox.

http://librivox.org/the-chemical-history-of-a-candle-by-michael-faraday/

There is a book called, "The Fairy Land of science", which might be worth checking out.

The best Golden book is the one that is rumored to have been banned :-)

Golden Chemistry Book. I actually had a copy of this back before my divorce and loved it to pieces. Surprisingly it's a free download.

Thank you, this one looks interesting.

It'll probably be available cheap again. i got my copy for $1. OOP book prices fluctuate wildly.

ETA: If you want vintage, beautiful, and outrageously priced, look for The Giant Golden Book of Biology.

I held one in my hot little hands for a few weeks, from ILL. It was very nice.

I just recently bought the Giant Golden book of Math; I previously had only had the smaller version. I've got the golden book of astronomy by Watson as well. HA Rey's books on the stars are interesting too.

Edited by stripe

I love these lists! My children really prefer the narrative style too. I have found an inexpensive copy of Stories of Rocks and Minerals and have placed the order (after a quick look at a free copy online). What a wonderful way to write about rocks and minerals! I have been forever trying to find a good book on rocks and minerals for my son. All of them have been field guides but they don't answer his questions. This one should fit the bill.

A big thank you to everyone who posted!

Bedtime reading tonight, as I'm preparing for lesson of 1 in Evan-Moor Daily Science 1, "Can a Rock Grow?"

As I'm going through everyone's suggestions, I think between these free vintage books and a few Simple Schooling downloads and online lessons, I'm going to have a smashing science year, with little effort and cost. And Magic School Bus is going on sale. I'm in basic science heaven. I first read "Science Matters" over a decade ago, and couldn't pull my dream curriculum together and now I'm finally finding the BASICS. First off I needed to stop looking at upper grade materials and second I needed to go back in time. IF I ever do REALLY master the basics, then I will move on, but not until I do.

I'm sorry if I haven't responded to each post, yet. I'm still rolling around in these, in glee, like a pig in mud.

Edited by Hunter