Menu

Florida Keys

Dh has family there and we honeymooned in late July in key west. It was crazy hot and packed- little air conditioning is used there-.so if heat bothers a person isn't a great choice. Also we didn't really find it super family friendly, it seemed more like a great place for partiers. It wouldn't be my first choice.

Definitely not Key West. It's NOT kid friendly. If you are set on the keys, check out Islamorada or perhaps Key Largo (which, to me, almost doesn't feel like it's really in the keys).

I have to strongly disagree that Key West is not kid friendly. Personally, I would not stay in Key West because you can get condos on the other Keys for less money, but my kids had a blast in Key West. We went to the really awesome Butterfly Conservatory. We also went to Hemmingway's House and saw the 6 toed cats. The LOVED the sunset celebration in Mallory Square. They have all sorts of acrobats, fire eaters, the very famous "Cat Man". They thought it was cool to go to the Southern Most point and get their picture taken. We loved walking in around all the shops and getting lunch and ice cream. I probably wouldn't go at night, but Key West is a wonderful spot for a family day trip. Now... I really wanna go back to the Keys instead of the mountains this summer. Oh and another must do with kids is Robbies of Islamorada. You can buy a bucket of fish and feed the huge tarpon! So much fun! And don't miss snorkeling in John Pennekamp National Park.

I have to strongly disagree that Key West is not kid friendly. Personally, I would not stay in Key West because you can get condos on the other Keys for less money, but my kids had a blast in Key West. We went to the really awesome Butterfly Conservatory. We also went to Hemmingway's House and saw the 6 toed cats. The LOVED the sunset celebration in Mallory Square. They have all sorts of acrobats, fire eaters, the very famous "Cat Man". They thought it was cool to go to the Southern Most point and get their picture taken. We loved walking in around all the shops and getting lunch and ice cream. I probably wouldn't go at night, but Key West is a wonderful spot for a family day trip. Now... I really wanna go back to the Keys instead of the mountains this summer. Oh and another must do with kids is Robbies of Islamorada. You can buy a bucket of fish and feed the huge tarpon! So much fun! And don't miss snorkeling in John Pennekamp National Park.

Y'know, a lot may depend on the age of your kids. Kari, were yours old enough to fully appreciate the historicity of the place? Perhaps mine were just too young when we went (under 10yo).

Y'know, a lot may depend on the age of your kids. Kari, were yours old enough to fully appreciate the historicity of the place? Perhaps mine were just too young when we went (under 10yo).

My kids were 14 and 5 when we went. My youngest hasn't been and now I think I need to figure out how to get him down there to see it.

My kids were 14 and 5 when we went. My youngest hasn't been and now I think I need to figure out how to get him down there to see it.

Ladies this has been helpful.

My guys are older almost 13 and 16. They certainly notice signs.

I had not really wanted to stay on Key West, we just went to New Orleans and the French Quarter wasn't a place I'd want to stay either, but it was okay to visit and explore during the day. (Took the most amazingly ill informed carriage ride; on which our guide pointed out a building where Thomas Jefferson had signed the Louisiana purchase. :confused:)

I'll definitely look at Key Largo. I'd love to find a place that has a nice enough place to eat at night that we can just stay on site.

We'll also be looking for opportunities to fish or meet fish.

The tram ride in Key West was fun, there is a guy "Famous Dave" that will do flights over Key West and around the islands. I don't know what his prices are today as it has been several years. There are no real beaches in the keys. The Key Deer are incredibly tame. They will walk up to the car. We have several great close ups of them.

what are your other options? I'm a florida native and even I find the keys unbearably hot in the summer. Especially Key West. Easy to get heat stroke or dehydrated as it is a lot of walking, very little air conditioning, and HOT.

St. Augustine would be a better choice by far.

We live in the Miami area and ventured to the Keys two weeks ago. Personally, I would not take my kids, but they are still young. Key West is all shops and restaurants. And there are very few sandy beaches in the Keys. It would be a nice place, though, if you like water sports. Kayaking, paddleboarding, fishing, snorkeling, scuba diving are the activities of choice. I would recommend Marathon Key, which is right in the middle. That way you could take a day trip to Key West, but could mainly stay in the upper keys. We took a glass bottom boat tour of the reef off of Key Largo that was pretty cool (we are not scuba divers). It's hot, but breezy, so I wouldn't call it stifling.

If you stay in Key Largo, you could also make a day trip to the Everglades or the sandy Miami beaches!

We went 2 years ago when ds was 6. We stayed on Key Largo and did day trips to Marathon, Islamorada, and Key West, and spent 2 days at the end of the trip in Miami. We had a blast, but it was in October and was much cooler than it will be in August. If you do go I recommend adding a trip to the Dolphin Research Center to your field trip list.

This may not be what your family would be interested in, but we took a canoe/camping trip to the Everglades that the entire family loved.

We canoed to and camped on Carl Ross Key, which was absolutely gorgeous.

We canoed through mangrove swamps and camped on a chickee.

This may not be what your family would be interested in, but we took a canoe/camping trip to the Everglades that the entire family loved.

That sounds really interesting.

I went to Key West on a cruise we spent 1 day there with the kids. It was neat to walk around some but I didn't find it as fun as I had hoped. We rode through St. Augustine on our way and I want to go back there.

what are your other options? I'm a florida native and even I find the keys unbearably hot in the summer. Especially Key West. Easy to get heat stroke or dehydrated as it is a lot of walking, very little air conditioning, and HOT.

St. Augustine would be a better choice by far.

I voted for the other options, my dh called them the four corners options: San Diego, Seattle, or Maine. I'd rather do Seattle or probably Maine.

My youngest really wants the keys because he fishes and loves animals. We'd probably get the Everglades in at least a little. I get violently seasick even with over the counter meds, dh isn't much better and I've pretty much told him any boats on the ocean are his deal if we end up in the keys.

The problem is as a group we don't really like crowds or shopping or any of the strong draws to the keys except fish and wildlife. (We went to Yellowstone two years ago and it was our best vacation ever.)

So I'm with you, although I think we'd probably have a fine time in the keys.

Was this a guided trip? My dh might camp if guides handled everything, but otherwise it's a no go. If it was guided, can you tell me who handled it?

The first time, mine were 3 months, 5, 6, and 10. We had a wonderful time. We stayed in Key Largo, but did two day trips to Key West. It's true there are people 'having fun' there, and there are lots of bars, but I didn't take my kids to bars. Key West is festive, yes. But that makes it fun. We also did a galss bottom boat ride, and got a chance to see The African Queen (which my 10 year thought was awesome. He talked to the old gent there for a long time). That's in Key Largo. We also swam with the dolphins at a very small santuary. Very informative. Bahia Honda, as someone mentioned is also nice. Dh and I have camped there. Very afforadable.

A very family-friendly place is Sanibel Island. It's beautiful, and quiet.

Edited by LibraryLover

I voted for the other options, my dh called them the four corners options: San Diego, Seattle, or Maine. I'd rather do Seattle or probably Maine.

My youngest really wants the keys because he fishes and loves animals. We'd probably get the Everglades in at least a little. I get violently seasick even with over the counter meds, dh isn't much better and I've pretty much told him any boats on the ocean are his deal if we end up in the keys.

I am a native of San Diego, there is plenty of fishing and animals there. San Diego Zoo is incredible... and there is Sea World, and Wild Animal Park. There are also tide pools. Deep sea fishing. There is an insane amount of things to do there. And the weather will be MUCH better. Now you have made me homesick!

Was this a guided trip? My dh might camp if guides handled everything, but otherwise it's a no go. If it was guided, can you tell me who handled it?

No, our trip was not guided, but I would think you could certainly find a guide. It was a very educational trip. The wildlife is abundant and the mangroves are so interesting.

The rangers there are very helpful, and they have maps that are easy to read if you decide to do it yourself.

Seattle and Maine sound wonderful also.

Did you look at Acadia National Park?

Other than the Everglades, our favorite vacations have been the Outer Banks and the provincial parks in Canada.

When we stayed at Lake Superior provincial park, we hiked to a waterfall where we fished (your son would love this), then took the trout we caught back to our camp where we cooked it over the fire. It was delicious! We did this trip with a 8yo, 2 1/2 yo, and a 9 mo. Everyone enjoyed it.

Um, don't camp in the everglades in the summer. Not if you like your family. Bad idea.

(I've done it...trust me...don't do it.)

If you want florida I'd do something different....not the keys. St. Augustine, Sanibel, St. Pete (aquarium, nature, wildlife, science museum), all would be more fun, to me.

Take a day and drive inland to Orlando and there is Gatorland, swamp boar rides abound, etc.

Um, don't camp in the everglades in the summer. Not if you like your family. Bad idea.

If you want florida I'd do something different....not the keys. St. Augustine, Sanibel, St. Pete (aquarium, nature, wildlife, science museum), all would be more fun, to me.

Take a day and drive inland to Orlando and there is Gatorland, swamp boar rides abound, etc.

As a child my family, which did nothing but camp, went to the Everglades, I do remember being chased around some board walks by clouds of insects.

We've done some of the other things, even sat on gators in Gatorland.

The Keys are a chain of islands connected by bridges. Key Largo, at the north end of the chain, all the way down to Big Pine Key, just below the center, tend to be very family friendly. There is a lot to do in terms of nature watching, dolphin facilities, boat tours, etc.

While Key West certainly has some attractions that are family friendly, the majority of the emphasis there is on shopping and bar hopping, especially after dark. The area also tends to cater to people who prefer alternative lifestyles, so keep that in mind if you and your family are more comfortable with a middle-of-the-road experience.

Depending on traffic (there is one road in and out), it can take upwards of 3 hours to traverse from Key Largo to Key West. And that is barring any construction or traffic accidents. So Key West is NOT a short hop from Key Largo like it might appear to be on the map. Also, Key Largo is a pretty long hike from much of the Everglades, Okeechobee, and the west coast of Florida. It can be done in a day trip, but it will be a long day. Always ask a local about travel times when you are determining your itenerary.

I used to be a marine biologist down in Florida and I avoided Key West if I could. IMO, the middle and upper keys offer much better nature watching opportunities.

Good point about the Everglades in the summer. Our trip was in late January.....very few bugs.

My family used to vacation in Siesta Key every year. It is around central FL, I think; not way in the south. I loved it! It is very family friendly. Of course, it's hot, but you have to expect and want that if you go south in the summer. I'd like to take my kids sometime but it is such a long drive for us.