Menu

Letter of Intent question....WWYD?

I don't know if anyone here would be able to help or not, but what would you do in this situation?

Last year dd6 was going to start Kindergarten. We were zoned for her to go to SCHOOL A, but they re-zoned or whatever, and she was going to have to go to SCHOOL B. However, if you had the child registered by a certain date, they would be grandfathered in at SCHOOL A. We preferred for her to go to SCHOOL A over SCHOOL B, so we registered her. After that, but before school started, we decided to homeschool instead. So she never went.

This fall she will start 1st grade, and now we need to send a letter of intent to the school she would attend if she weren't homeschooled. The question is, does that letter need to go to SCHOOL A or SCHOOL B? Thanks!

Are you sure you are supposed to send it to the school itself? In our state, we send the LOI to the school district every fall. I realize the rules are probably different in different states, just thought it worth a mention.

Call the district office and ask which one they want you to send it to. That is what I did when we were re-zoned in Hawaii. In our case, they had me send it to the new school.

Do they usually have to re-register each year, or is it generally a 1 time thing?

You have to send in a LOI in Hawaii any time they would change schools. Not every year, but not only one time either.

Are you sure you are supposed to send it to the school itself? In our state, we send the LOI to the school district every fall. I realize the rules are probably different in different states, just thought it worth a mention.

:iagree:

In Hawaii it goes to the school. And every school treats it differently. So crazy.

Do you still have the paperwork that grandfathered you? If so, I'd send it to School A and see what happens.

More often than not, in a bureaucracy, if "no" is easy to say, they'll say it. If it's an effort for them to frustrate your goal, they are less likely to do it.

"Maybe I should be giving this work to Secretary B instead of you, what do you think?"

"You need to go to School B. Bye."

vs.

"Here's this letter of intent. Says she's grandfathered. Does that still apply? I don't recall seeing this FAQ in the manual. Maybe I gotta look something up, talk to someone, and write this guy a letter and then listen to him complain. Hmm. Well, if there's no specific rule against it . . . ."

ETA: I'm assuming you'd want to deal with School A in case she ever does go back to school or need any services from there.

Edited by SKL

• 1 month later...
So, we sent the letter to SCHOOL A. They called us and asked dw a few questions about it. They said then they would send it to SCHOOL B, I guess that's where it should have gone in the first place. But, very nice of SCHOOL A to send it over for us.

That is nice of them, I would keep a record of the call day and time and persin you spoke with. Also, check with School B to see be sure they received the letter.

This is what we had to do this year as well-send it in to the district.