Menu

advice for curriculum writers...

I'm looking at new curriculums and some good content is getting muddled by bad design and execution. It's like having a beautiful cup but the handle is stuck on sideways.

Please, please hire a designer. Use white space. Use easy to read fonts. Don't use color coding to lead out on design and organization. Your curriculum should be as user friendly in b/w even though it might be "prettier" in color. Make your curriculum user friendly--so that a person can glance at a lesson and get a sense of the flow.

Please hire a professional proofreader, or you may imbarrassss yoselve.

Good video costs some serious money. Please don't do video until you can do it with good lighting and sound.

Please sell digital downloads of your workbooks. Then give us tools to help print the book--not just by chapters, but also by lesson sections, student pages, and varying sections.

Tell us shipping costs up front.

Make your website simple and easy to use.

Sell your science curriculum with a lab kit.

I agree and here's where I throw in my rant on Comic Sans.

Please banish this font from your curriculum. In fact, banish all strange and funky fonts from your curriculum. Don't write in script, bubble letters, or again, Comic Sans. The kids aren't going to care what the font looks like; I've never heard my child say, "Wow, I really like reading words in this font."

But I guarantee you, I notice.

Please banish this font from your curriculum. In fact, banish all strange and funky fonts from your curriculum. Don't write in script, bubble letters, or again, Comic Sans. The kids aren't going to care what the font looks like; I've never heard my child say, "Wow, I really like reading words in this font."

:iagree: Comic sans is the worst. Just its existance is condescending. Totally cringeworthy.

I'm looking at new curriculums and some good content is getting muddled by bad design and execution. It's like having a beautiful cup but the handle is stuck on sideways.

Please, please hire a designer. Use white space. Use easy to read fonts. Don't use color coding to lead out on design and organization. Your curriculum should be as user friendly in b/w even though it might be "prettier" in color. Make your curriculum user friendly--so that a person can glance at a lesson and get a sense of the flow.

Please hire a professional proofreader, or you may imbarrassss yoselve.

Good video costs some serious money. Please don't do video until you can do it with good lighting and sound.

Please sell digital downloads of your workbooks. Then give us tools to help print the book--not just by chapters, but also by lesson sections, student pages, and varying sections.

Tell us shipping costs up front.

Make your website simple and easy to use.

Sell your science curriculum with a lab kit.

I agree with all the above, but especially the bolded. There is a curric out there that a lot of people love, but I will not use because of this reason.

Oh lordy, yes.

Most people who think they are capable graphic designers ARE NOT. If you are selling a book for money, paying a graphic designer to make it really work is necessary. Your teenager, in most cases, is not the designer you need.

If you must go without a designer, then please buy and read the Non-Designer's Design Handbook. Always remember: No more than 2 fonts. One for your headers and one for your text body. Changing up fonts does not make you a design whiz.

Oh lordy, yes.

Most people who think they are capable graphic designers ARE NOT. If you are selling a book for money, paying a graphic designer to make it really work is necessary. Your teenager, in most cases, is not the designer you need.

If you must go without a designer, then please buy and read the Non-Designer's Design Handbook. Always remember: No more than 2 fonts. One for your headers and one for your text body. Changing up fonts does not make you a design whiz.

Gah, yes! This goes for business presentations as well. PowerPoint is not your friend! Don't use funny photos, strange backgrounds, or weird screen changes. Do not unleash the full capability of PowerPoint. Your audience will not thank you for it!

While we're on the soapbox, I agree about the making it pretty in B&W. I rarely keep color ink in my printer. Please think of those of us with tiny budgets when making PDF products.

Also, if you have content on your computer that you are freely sharing, make it available as a pdf. I wanted to print some information from an institutional website recently. There was no pdf, it was all in tables that wouldn't copy and paste correctly, and it was in comic sans font too. :lol:

I agree about the graphics as well. I drool over some curriculum I know I'll never use because the graphics are so good. However, anything that utilizes clip art from 1992 and was made in the 21st century gets reconsidered.

To add, I want to see a TOC and a sample, a real sample before I buy.

While we're on the soapbox, I agree about the making it pretty in B&W. I rarely keep color ink in my printer. Please think of those of us with tiny budgets when making PDF products.

Also, if you have content on your computer that you are freely sharing, make it available as a pdf. I wanted to print some information from an institutional website recently. There was no pdf, it was all in tables that wouldn't copy and paste correctly, and it was in comic sans font too. :lol:

I agree about the graphics as well. I drool over some curriculum I know I'll never use because the graphics are so good. However, anything that utilizes clip art from 1992 and was made in the 21st century gets reconsidered.

To add, I want to see a TOC and a sample, a real sample before I buy.

:iagree:

Looks like the Curriculum Client Bill of Rights is off to a fine start.

I echo the readability issue. Too many words on the page, tiny font (justified to the edges, leaving loooooong gaps between some words, or other words with their l e t t e r s all stretched out), itty bitty margins.... If I'm going to use it, I'm going to have to be able to get past the first page without getting sea sick.

And if I might add a corollary: Papyrus doesn't make ancient history seem any more ancient. Or historical.

:iagree:

Papyrus should be banned. Honestly, it is a bigger issue than Comic Sans IMO because people smack it on signage and such without considering how overused it it. I rarely see Comic Sans signage, I frequently see Papyrus. It is painful.

There are many fonts you can buy for a small sum or download for free if you want a unique heading font. Nothing that comes in your office suite is unique. But please use a readable, somewhat familiar, font for your text body.

White space is your friend. Decent margins are your friend.

Clip art is bad.

Really, this is all so simple but people make it horrible with colors and fonts and clip art. Everything looks cheap when basic design rules are ignored.

Gah, yes! This goes for business presentations as well. PowerPoint is not your friend! Don't use funny photos, strange backgrounds, or weird screen changes. Do not unleash the full capability of PowerPoint. Your audience will not thank you for it!

I once was sitting next to a man on a flight who was working on a Powerpoint presentation. We got to talking and I ended up helping him shorten it and take out the unnecessary and unprofessional clipart and flourishes.

Powerpoint is not a replacement for your speech index cards. Anything on the slide should enhance what you are saying, not be your script. Use less slides than you think you need. 1 point per slide. No all caps. No dizzying colors.

OK, I will say that the deliberate use of cheesy clip art and ridiculous fonts in the Life of Fred books is pretty funny to me. I know, I know, it probably drives other people just nuts.

So I chuckle and say that it's just fine if Stanley Schmidt uses clip art, but everybody else just steer clear........

And also--just to be clear--I do purchase and use some curriculums that are blessed with good content but lacking in design. Maybe someday the authors will have the resources to put into design. Eventually, MUS did move away from comb bindings, right???

I don't like Comic Sans either. What font would you recommend? What about Verdana?

I'm writing my own Spelling curriculum (here's a BETA sample-I've made a few minor changes since posting) and I'd love a critique from any of you if you want to take the time. :) The student pages are first, then the teacher pages. I *think* it is better to lump them this way. I have two students I'm using it with and need to print two copies of the student pages, also I figure some people may not want to print the teacher pages at all but read them on screen.

I've attempted to keep the pages simple, clean, and low ink friendly because that is what *I* desire for my own use. I had a hard time deciding what font to use. Verdana seemed pretty plain and fairly close to handwriting print. If I could do anything at all to improve, let me know! I'd be ever so grateful.

I don't like Comic Sans either. What font would you recommend? What about Verdana?

I'm writing my own Spelling curriculum (here's a BETA sample-I've made a few minor changes since posting) and I'd love a critique from any of you if you want to take the time. :) The student pages are first, then the teacher pages. I *think* it is better to lump them this way. I have two students I'm using it with and need to print two copies of the student pages, also I figure some people may not want to print the teacher pages at all but read them on screen.

I've attempted to keep the pages simple, clean, and low ink friendly because that is what *I* desire for my own use. I had a hard time deciding what font to use. Verdana seemed pretty plain and fairly close to handwriting print. If I could do anything at all to improve, let me know! I'd be ever so grateful.

Hi Three blessings--

First of all, I salute you for asking the Hive for opinions on your sample. That takes some bravery. :001_smile:

I haven't printed it out or sat down thoroughly, but here is my initial reaction.

I think you would benefit from using a more traditional font on you title page. You need a font that says, "This is a no nonsense spelling rule book I can trust."

Also, I believe your next page would read easier with wider margins.

I will write more later, but I am going to make lunch now.

OK, I will say that the deliberate use of cheesy clip art and ridiculous fonts in the Life of Fred books is pretty funny to me. I know, I know, it probably drives other people just nuts.

So I chuckle and say that it's just fine if Stanley Schmidt uses clip art, but everybody else just steer clear........

And also--just to be clear--I do purchase and use some curriculums that are blessed with good content but lacking in design. Maybe someday the authors will have the resources to put into design. Eventually, MUS did move away from comb bindings, right???

I think Fred gets a pass because it's part of the story.

I was working on some personal stuff the other day and pulled up Word clip art. Some of it is the same clip art I used in the early 90s when I worked in an office. The little cartoon guy standing by a globe was cute then. Now, not so much.

It fits Fred well, I agree. I still wish the Editor had edited as if they were being paid more. :tongue_smilie:

There is another pricey (in my mind) geography book that I have had trouble getting into due to it the clip-arty look of every graphic and photo.

And also--just to be clear--I do purchase and use some curriculums that are blessed with good content but lacking in design. Maybe someday the authors will have the resources to put into design.

I prefer the curriculum whose designs work is "here's a list of things you need, a simple chart if needed and some words. Have fun." But that's for the teacher's manual. I just don't buy any other kinds of curricula that my kids will look at, other than math or phonics. For me, that's why I like ETC. The pictures are functional. Nothing else to distract them. Singapore math is like that- the pictures are about the math lesson, not some little decoration.

Honestly, maybe it's the classical education love in all of us. I mean, I want to teach my kids through encyclopedias and literature. So I don't want to spend money on any sort of curriculum that puts too much of their resources into graphic design. Easy Classical Science is the best example I have on my shelf right now- a $30 pdf that includes a book list and one page of instructions per lesson. Perfect.

Honestly, it's one of the reason boxed curricula scare me. I'm afraid it's going to be so over-designed that I will be distracted. I'd rather be distracted by good pictures in a good book. ;)

Hi Three blessings--

First of all, I salute you for asking the Hive for opinions on your sample. That takes some bravery. :001_smile:

I haven't printed it out or sat down thoroughly, but here is my initial reaction.

I think you would benefit from using a more traditional font on you title page. You need a font that says, "This is a no nonsense spelling rule book I can trust."

Also, I believe your next page would read easier with wider margins.

I will write more later, but I am going to make lunch now.

Thanks so much, I appreciate you taking the time. :) I'm taking notes.

I think you're right about the margins. Do you think it would be better justified too or no?

I'll try out some other font choices for the title.

Thanks again!

I'm not any sort of editor, but I found the introductory page difficult to read. It seemed like maybe the font had too much space between the letters? I'm not sure, but justification would not help. A serif font might help my eyes scan across the lines better. After that page, the font and design looks good to me. :001_smile:

Google "book cover fonts" -- you'll get some good recommendations. Obviously you're not expected to make a fabulous artsy cover... but I expect you'll find that some (many?) of these fonts work well with simpler covers, too.

Changing the font may take care of this, but I might still consider tweaking the color scheme of the cover a bit, too. It can stay serious while being a little more appealing IMO. I would look around at some web design color scheme tools (there's a list here) and browse through some pre-made schemes there. They won't translate perfectly to what you're doing... i.e. you will probably still want to stick to just two colors (the background and the text color). Also, since they're color schemes for web design, they may not all work for your book... but this should at least give you some ideas.

I'm not any sort of editor, but I found the introductory page difficult to read. It seemed like maybe the font had too much space between the letters? I'm not sure, but justification would not help. A serif font might help my eyes scan across the lines better. After that page, the font and design looks good to me. :001_smile:

Thank you for your time. Do you mean MS Sans Serif? I will try that and see how it looks. It is somewhat boring text too, being so condensed and informative. I've read it probably twenty times by now and I thought that was why my eyes gloss over when I try to look at it, lol. :)

I googled serif fonts and found some more, thanks!

Edited by ThreeBlessings

Google "book cover fonts" -- you'll get some good recommendations. Obviously you're not expected to make a fabulous artsy cover... but I expect you'll find that some (many?) of these fonts work well with simpler covers, too.

Changing the font may take care of this, but I might still consider tweaking the color scheme of the cover a bit, too. It can stay serious while being a little more appealing IMO. I would look around at some web design color scheme tools (there's a list here) and browse through some pre-made schemes there. They won't translate perfectly to what you're doing... i.e. you will probably still want to stick to just two colors (the background and the text color). Also, since they're color schemes for web design, they may not all work for your book... but this should at least give you some ideas.

Thank you for your feedback. My dd has made some slightly depreciating remarks as to the color choice. :) I will definitely take your advice!

I really prefer fonts with serifs for reading. On the computer, fonts without serifs look OK, but I find them especially hard to read on paper. If I used the Verdana at all, I would only use it for the actual spelling words.

One concern I had was how close the lines are placed together on the student pages. I couldn't tell for sure how far apart they are, but I suspect my son would be frustrated. It would be nice to have wide-rule spacing between lines.

In general for printed books I prefer separate teacher and student pages, but for PDFs I prefer them together. I suppose it is because I don't have a large screen so it is easier for me to go back and forth when the pages are together. It doesn't work too well to try to open them both at the same time.

I like the simple layout of the spelling book. It's easy to see the directions and what to do.

Well, good luck trying to make us all happy!

Julie D.

I really prefer fonts with serifs for reading. On the computer, fonts without serifs look OK, but I find them especially hard to read on paper. If I used the Verdana at all, I would only use it for the actual spelling words.

One concern I had was how close the lines are placed together on the student pages. I couldn't tell for sure how far apart they are, but I suspect my son would be frustrated. It would be nice to have wide-rule spacing between lines.

In general for printed books I prefer separate teacher and student pages, but for PDFs I prefer them together. I suppose it is because I don't have a large screen so it is easier for me to go back and forth when the pages are together. It doesn't work too well to try to open them both at the same time.

I like the simple layout of the spelling book. It's easy to see the directions and what to do.

Well, good luck trying to make us all happy!

Julie D.

Julie- thanks for the feedback. I will check the ruling on the lines as I'm not sure. I don't think they are as small as college, but I doubt they are wide ruled.

When you say you prefer the teacher and student pages together for a pdf, do you mean together in one book, or together as in teacher page with corresponding student page directly after throughout the book? I plan to have them together in one pdf, but with the student pages bulked together first and the teacher pages bulked together after the student pages. Thanks for your time!

And please do not put a flowery, ink-heavy border around every single page so that my printer runs out of ink on page ten.

Please lay out the curriculum with Lesson 1, Lesson 2, etc. so that I don't have figure out what is a good place to stop and start again.

In your sample pages, please remember to include the title of the curriculum (or whatever) and the URL to your website. I cannot tell you how many times I have skimmed over a sample, loved it, and forgotten where I got it. If there is no clue in the sample, it just gets sent to the trash can.

If it is a high school curriculum, please state at the beginning how many credits it is worth. I do not want to have to keep track of hours to figure out Carnegie units if I can avoid it.