Menu

Verizon Wireless changing pricing plans

DH told me about this yesterday. Under the new plan we would be paying significantly more/month (I think around $40). We're considering other providers at this point. I rarely even use texting -- I hate it. I also don't need unlimited minutes because they have free calling from one Verizon cell phone to another, and most of the people I talk to are on Verizon.

Edited by jujsky

Ugh, I read further and it looks like the charge for dumb phones is now 30 instead of 9.99. So it will cost us more.

Yes, that's correct. We have my mom on our plan because she wouldn't have a cell phone otherwise. That's an extra $20/month.

You could use it for a hotspot like that, but you would need a lot of gb to use it in that capacity. You may end up needing to buy more gb than you are paying now for the dsl.

Hmmm. That could be a problem. I don't know how many GB we use with the DSL right now; we don't have the most expensive/fastest DSL service, but it is good enough to stream Netflix/Hulu on one desktop, or to do general net-surfing on both desktops at the same time (but not to stream on one and surf on the other at the same time). So you're saying that if I want the cell to be a hotspot, it would take more GB to do the same stuff? Like, just picking a random number, if going to gmail and checking my email via the DSL uses 100 GB, doing the same thing using the hotspot and my desktop, it would be more than 100 GB? (And I know it's nowhere near 100 GB to check email; I'm just picking that for sake of comparison.)

Thanks; I am very confused. Need to figure out where I put my cell so I can call my mom and ask her about it, since we share the plan with her.

I'd go prepaid in a second if Verizon didn't have by far the best coverage in the area. We can't have everything, but maybe things will be different in two years when my contract is up. :tongue_smilie:

I admittedly don't understand all this talk, but is there a reason why Verizon's prepaid option wouldn't work? Do they not have a prepaid smartphone option or are the doing away with it now? I have been eyeing their unlimited data, talk, and text plan for $50.

Some prepaid phones use the Verizon network. Look for a phone with a "C" in the model number. My prepaid Straight Talk smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Proclaim) uses Verizon. I pay $45/month for unlimited talk text and data.

I currently have a Verizon talk/text plan -- I think it runs out in December.

Verizon doesn't work well in my area, so I can only use it and get decent reception when I get about 10 miles from home.

I'm considering going with Straight Talk and I'm wondering if they have a US Cellular option. (US Cellular is the best coverage in our area.) Do you know how to tell by looking at the serial number?

I admittedly don't understand all this talk, but is there a reason why Verizon's prepaid option wouldn't work? Do they not have a prepaid smartphone option or are the doing away with it now? I have been eyeing their unlimited data, talk, and text plan for $50.

The smartphone prepaid plan is $80. The regular is $50.

I am seriously confused. We have 3 phones on our plan, only one of which is a smart phone. We have 700 minutes per month and unlimited texting all the way around, plus unlimited data on the smart phone. With taxes and fees, our total is about $135 a month. I don't know if our price will go up or down, lol. I probably need some caffeine.

This is exactly what we have. I'm positive the fee will go up. I do know that we cannot upgrade the smart phone without either losing unlimited data or paying full Verizon price for the new phone.

I am seriously confused. We have 3 phones on our plan, only one of which is a smart phone. We have 700 minutes per month and unlimited texting all the way around, plus unlimited data on the smart phone. With taxes and fees, our total is about $135 a month. I don't know if our price will go up or down, lol. I probably need some caffeine.

This is exactly what we have. I'm positive the fee will go up. I do know that we cannot upgrade the smart phone without either losing unlimited data or paying full Verizon price for the new phone.

I have a dumb phone....a really, really dumb phone. . I have absolutely NO need of one of these data plans with tons of minutes.

If they discontinue the pay as you go for dumb phones, I'm going to be mighty ticked because I will literally be unable to have a cell phone. Spring, At & T, you name it...it doesn't work in our dead spot of an area.

Faith

Our newspaper and the Verizon Wireless website all said that we can keep our current plan. We have a 5 year old pay-as-you-go plan which we plan to keep!

Here's what I found on the Verizon website:

While you're not required to change to a Share Everything Plan you may want to check out the benefits of new plans.

We're sticking with our "dumb" phones!

We are on day 30 of 31 day cycle and dh and I combined have only used 342 MB. Not even 1/2 GB, right?

We are currently paying $85 for plan, plus $10 for his line, 15 for my data usage and 30 for his. That is 140. If we change to new plan we could purchase 1 GB and lower our bill to 130. (whoopee) However, does this mean I could put my kids on smart phones and they could share our 1 G for no extra charge? Not that I want them to have smart phones.

You'd have to pay $40 per phone for the unlimited calls and texts.

Wendi

Our newspaper and the Verizon Wireless website all said that we can keep our current plan. We have a 5 year old pay-as-you-go plan which we plan to keep!

Here's what I found on the Verizon website:

While you're not required to change to a Share Everything Plan you may want to check out the benefits of new plans.

We're sticking with our "dumb" phones!

From what I was read last night, it sounds like only those with grandfathered unlimited data will have to forgo upgrade discounts on phones to to keep their plans (i. e. not sign a new contact). Though that could change next year. What I'm not clear on is if those who choose to keep their current family plan will be able to add lines, etc.

That really pisses me off. :glare: I've been with Verizon since I got my first cell phone about 16 years ago. This is ridiculous.

We have four dumb phones and one smart phone. They want to charge us an extra $40-50 per month. Not happening.

What pre-paid service uses Verizon towers? (Best reception for our area). I think Page Plus does and Kitty Wireless is the best dealer that I know of for PP.

Maybe if enough people protest, they'll reconsider like Netflix did when they made those big changes that cost people more.

We have four dumb phones and one smart phone. They want to charge us an extra $40-50 per month. Not happening.
You can keep your existing plan. :)

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228051/Unlimited_data_customers_freaked_out_by_new_Verizon_shared_data_plans

Excerpt:

Raney also confirmed Wednesday that new customers to Verizon Wireless "will only be offered the Share Everything Plans" while existing customers are not forced onto the new plans even if they upgrade to a new phone. She noted that a teenager added to an existing account would allow the existing plan to remain in use, even though the teenager would be new to Verizon.

The only complication is if one of the lines as grandfathered unlimited data.

Maybe if enough people protest, they'll reconsider like Netflix did when they made those big changes that cost people more.
Netflix still raised their prices, they just didn't go through with the split into two independent operations (streaming and disc). Last year was a bad year for Netflix.

I'm staying with Verizon for at least two more years, as I just upgraded my phone and have grandfathered unlimited data.

Just wanted to say thanks for mentioning the plan change. I hadn't read the emails talking about it, and it would have gone over my head.

Dh has unlimited and uses over 4g a month. It is definitely a good deal for us. He was considering an upgrade to a newer Droid but just hadn't taken the time to do it yet. My phone is 4 or 5years old so it is medically fragile at this point (but I love my Palm and won't give her up until she dies) LOL and we were also ready to get dd13 a phone. He went to Costco, upgraded his, got dd on the plan with a buy-one-get-one-free but didn't activate the free phone. I will just save it until mine dies and then transfer that phone to the plan, which won't affect the unlimited :0)

We are all set for a good looong time, I hope. LOL

Thanks again for the reminder, we really appreciate it!

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

We can't really risk giving up the unlimited data. Dh and I each average btw 4 and 5GB/mo and figure, but we have gone higher. And that's without any kids on the plan, which is bound to change soon.

Our home internet company (the only local option) doesn't even give unlimited internet. We got a warning to cut back in the mail. If we regularly go over, they won't bill us extra - they'll cut us off completely! :001_huh:

So I'm really not interested in gambling with my only other available internet access!

We can't really risk giving up the unlimited data. Dh and I each average btw 4 and 5GB/mo and figure, but we have gone higher. And that's without any kids on the plan, which is bound to change soon.

[snip]

So I'm really not interested in gambling with my only other available internet access!

When is your early upgrade date?

I haven't gotten any notice of this. Maybe it is because we are grandfathered. We have five phones on the plan- three smart phones and two phones with no internet. OUr last smart phone was added I think in June of 2011 or maybe August of 2011. Since then we changed one phone from non smart to another non smart and added a non smart in April or March.

I just went on Verizon and they said we shouldn't change our plan. We have unlimited data and texting, 700 shared phone minutes and the three smart phones and two regular. THe regular phones don't have data.

I am sure we will have to do something different when I want to get my youngest a smart phone. But, if it costs too much, on days she needs to go somewhere she doesn't know how to get there well, I will probably just trade phones for the time.

I just went on Verizon and they said we shouldn't change our plan. We have unlimited data and texting, 700 shared phone minutes and the three smart phones and two regular. THe regular phones don't have data.
The only hitch for you is that you won't be able to get a subsidized phone on the unlimited lines after the 28th. If you sign a new contract, you'll lose your unlimited data.

Rats. I love my iphone, but I don't think I can justify the expense. We may need to look into pay-as-you-go.

I have an iPhone that I use as a pay as you go. I don't need data 24/7. If I need it, there is usually a McDonalds or Starbucks where I can pick it up. I just mention this to tell you that it can be done.

I have an iPhone that I use as a pay as you go. I don't need data 24/7. If I need it, there is usually a McDonalds or Starbucks where I can pick it up. I just mention this to tell you that it can be done.

How much does it cost to use the pay-as-you-go? Who is the carrier? PagePlus or ?

We may need to look into this before long.

Those with grandfathered unlimited data: If your upgrade date us after the 28th, but within a few months, you might want to call Verizon to see if you can get an early upgrade (i. e. one last subsidized phone to placate you given the short notice after the reassuring words from Verizon last year regarding the grandfathered unlimited data). I've read a number of posts from people who have met success with this tactic. You have nothing to lose.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread is way old but I updated my plan today and I didn't have to change plans. He told me I could if I wanted to but recommended I didn't since it would have cost me $20 more and could do so any time in the future. I was able to keep my unlimited data.

I love my new Droid 4, btw!

This actually worked out well for our family. DH and I are on my parents plan as is my brother. So we have four iPhones, one droid, one iPad with cellular and a regular phone for my grandparents. We only use 3 gigs of data between all of us and I am the biggest data user. This means there is still room on the account for the kids to get phones as well when they are older. Also the no longer paying for hotspots is a very nice feature that we can use our phones as hotspots for our wifi only iPads. The cost actually ended up saving up $50 a month because under the old plan we could only have 5 phones and had to have my grandparents phone on a separate account with its own fees.