Menu

May Crafter's Update

Well, I'm still flunking out. I've had a month of near continual sleep deprivation and other messing around. I think I sewed one badge onto my blanket. Maybe June will be more auspicious for me!

What do you gals have to share?

Rosie

I am working on a baby blanket, that I designed, for my sis-in-law. She's due next month-ish, but I have until our US trip (Aug/Sep-ish) to finish. Which is good, because my sewing machine is hopelessly not fixed and I"m still doing this by hand.

The baby quilt will have 2 more sections identical to this one, so 3 large diamonds going across and then appliqued on top will be some kind of rick-rack type something in X formation over the diamonds, aka, argyle. Only, large scale and cool, not nerdy.

Also I was working on a quilt for my oldest son; I've told him since the sewing machine didn't get finished, he has to wait now until after I get a new one (on same US trip) but here's the progress I made on his last month/this month, too.

This is the left third and the right third of the quilt top, laid out on top of his current blanket (the green in the middle); the middle third will have comic strips that he designed, printed on fabric, framed in white/red or black/red. The red will zig-zag and the black/white alternate so it looks like interlocking teeth. Then there will be a gray and red border eventually.....

Well, some of this might have been started in April.....I kind of don't remember...

I sewed a hang-from-the-doorway puppet theater for my DD's 4th birthday and a curtain for the school room window. Current yarn project is my annual stash of preemie hats. My NICU baby and I take a pile to our children's hospital every year on the anniversary of her discharge. I think I have 7 done so far. I'm so grateful for the care she received there; it's one of my favorite ways to "give back". I think that covers it for May.

I can't believe you're doing that by hand. I tried once and did a block before giving up. I think it'll look cool when it's done. I'm sure your sil will love it.

Thanks :) I have already done one quilt by hand (though I had someone else quilt it for me; this one I have to quilt, also...), and as I don't have experience sewing by machine to compare it to, it's not so bad. I kind of enjoy it, really.

Your shawl is beautiful, but I"m all distracted by how pretty your living room is! Love your furniture!!

I sewed a hang-from-the-doorway puppet theater for my DD's 4th birthday and a curtain for the school room window. Current yarn project is my annual stash of preemie hats. My NICU baby and I take a pile to our children's hospital every year on the anniversary of her discharge. I think I have 7 done so far. I'm so grateful for the care she received there; it's one of my favorite ways to "give back". I think that covers it for May.

it's my goal once I get my sewing machine to make Project Linus blankets, for the same reason. Just not enough time to do them by hand with everything else I have going. But I plan to do a pink argyle and a blue argyle (like the lavender/purple I posted) once I get a machine.....

I love that you do the NICU hats every year.

I accomplished quite a bit this month, but just a reminder, I am retired from full time parenting.

DH and I sanded and refinished the wood furniture in our porch. We also found some metal chairs and repainted them and made new seat cushions.

I also made the pillows on the sofa.

I sewed 2 swim suits for my grandaughter and made several crocheted hats for my DD and grandbabies.

You gals are so talented. I wish there was an envious smiley because that's what I'm feeling right now. I love all the baby items and diapers done. How cool!

I figure you must be the right group of ladies to ask this question to then. :001_smile: I have a friend that's having boy/girl twins any day now and I would love to crochet her a baby gift. Any suggestions or patterns you can direct me towards? I'm a fairly new crocheter but can pick up on patterns quickly.

Lioness - love the bathroom!!!

The quilt is very cool looking and I love the shawl! I have yet to figure out how to make intricate stuff like that! Nice job!

I couldnt get the tile link to work, but I am sure it looks great:).

I did a ton this month, but that was because I was attending a baby shower and I made the gifts. I do not have my own pics, but I can put links on here to what I made and you can see other crafters pics of them :)

First I made a set of those lovies with minkie fabric and the ribbons all around. The colors were raspberry and tealish. (the nursery colors) Like this, but without the square of other fabric in the center. Mine are just one solid color on each side: http://www.theribbonretreat.com/blog/how-to-make-a-tag-blanket.html

I made a dozen flannel burp cloths in various girly prints.

I made one of these http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/poppy-11 in red with a white flower and a black button in the center of it.

I made one of these http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/moppet in red to match the hat above.

I made a pair of these in pink, only I picked up and knitted with white to make it look like socks with it. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-janes-3

I made one of these to match the booties http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/upside-down-daisy

And I made one of these: http://www.theribbonretreat.com/blog/itty-bitty-baby-bows.html with velcro hair bows

Whew...it was a busy month!

Great projects, everyone!

I don't think that I completed anything this month....I did make a cool book for dd for our trip in April. I need to take some pics of that. I'm nearly done with some socks that I started a while back and never got around to finishing. I've been working on a large knitting project...but I can't really talk about it. :tongue_smilie:

I love your bathroom. It looks great.

The diapers are ladida diapers.

I've been able to knit a lot because we don't have a backyard fence so if the boys want to be outside I have to sit there with them.

Thanks for all the kind words on the shawl. It's the Ashton pattern on ravelry. It's a super easy beginners pattern.

Whew...it was a busy month!

It certainly was! You made some lovely stuff.

Rachel, that shawl is beautiful. I saved the pattern in my library, but charts are tricky for me since I knit as a true lefty.

I crocheted a little rug for our screen porch outside the door to the house. I never liked any of the ones we had there, and lately we just had a folded up old beach towel which looked really tacky. I'm not sure how it will hold up, but I thought I'd give it a try. In the second picture you can see that our cat already claimed it (notice the cat hairs).

I figure you must be the right group of ladies to ask this question to then. :001_smile: I have a friend that's having boy/girl twins any day now and I would love to crochet her a baby gift. Any suggestions or patterns you can direct me towards? I'm a fairly new crocheter but can pick up patterns quickly.

I love something like this. I'm a sucker for bear ears on baby hats. http://www.etsy.com/listing/60007517/baby-girl-hat-and-baby-boy-hat-bear-hat?ref=cat_gallery_16

I have used this pattern before with good results. Use a fuzzy yarn and google for a flower for the girly one and you're good to go!

http://owlishly.typepad.com/owlishly/files/owlishly_designed_bear_infant_hat_email_quality.pdf

Do you all want to come help me sew? I've made 13 dresses and two robes since yesterday morning. I have to hem half of them and make about five more dresses. The pattern is simple; just a front, back, and sleeves. I'm also making 10 brooms for a dance prop using dowels, lots of glittery paint, and a roll of brown paper. I haven't even started hemming veils or cutting out hip scarves. Our first show is in 9 days.

I am NOT crafty, so I'm WAY out of my depth here. The brooms are fighting back and I'm afraid I'll run out of steam before my deadline. My son has been getting some seriously lame assignments this week. "Do the next math lesson and read for an hour."

:willy_nilly:

Tah dah! I finally have a photo to post. The scarf is from a free Ravelry pattern, The Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief (link) while the pattern for the cotton picot anklets is from the book Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd, a book that I have found to be useful. I'll admit that I made one of the socks in April, the other in May. I keep hoping to increase my productivity from a single sock a month, but it is not happening (yet).

Not in the photo is a pair of shorts which I stitched from Butterick 5649. Enigmatic zipper instructions! But with my trusty Reader's Digest sewing book, I figured it out.

ETA: Where is my photo?? Argh....

ETA to the ETA: And then a miracle occurred...

Edited by Jane in NC

Tah dah! I finally have a photo to post. The scarf is from a free Ravelry pattern, The Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief (link) while the pattern for the cotton picot anklets is from the book Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd, a book that I have found to be useful. I'll admit that I made one of the socks in April, the other in May. I keep hoping to increase my productivity from a single sock a month, but it is not happening (yet).

Well I'm impressed! You're beating me. I haven't managed a sock in this lifetime yet!! :lol:

I sat down on Sunday morning, the first kid free chunk of time where I've been awake enough to be productive in over two months, to plan out a new cross stitch. It was going to be a winning morning. I knew it. I actually knew where my graph paper was! How could I lose? !! Well it is still unplanned because I can't find the book I needed to adapt from. It's the book I use most, but I can't find it anywhere. :banghead:

Any suggestions? So far, from my mother, "In Lizzie's room, behind the piano" and from my brother, "behind the fridge." I don't have a Lizzie, a piano or a fridge. :glare::lol:

I sat down on Sunday morning, the first kid free chunk of time where I've been awake enough to be productive in over two months, to plan out a new cross stitch. It was going to be a winning morning. I knew it. I actually knew where my graph paper was! How could I lose? !! Well it is still unplanned because I can't find the book I needed to adapt from. It's the book I use most, but I can't find it anywhere. :banghead:

Any suggestions? So far, from my mother, "In Lizzie's room, behind the piano" and from my brother, "behind the fridge." I don't have a Lizzie, a piano or a fridge. :glare::lol:

If it is any consolation, my sock book went missing too. Funny, it was hiding in plain sight. I, of course, tried to blame my husband for his new found interest in sock knitting.

Slow finding this thread again, but awesome pictures everyone! I have bathroom envy on the tiling project - we're just getting ready to remodel 2 bathrooms here. We're hiring someone for most of the work because they need to be gutted (100 year old house). But just picking the tile and fixtures is becoming a huge project. My DH actually has strong opinions on this stuff. How dare he! :tongue_smilie::D