Menu

What is your favorite painting?

I like everything by Edward Hopper but Nighthawks is my favorite painting of all time.

I love his Hotel Room best, perhaps because I saw it in the flesh, and I must say Hopper in the flesh is much better than prints. You really need to a bigger painting to see the subtlety. (True of art in general, but Hopper's first-glance simplicity blown away when you see them in person.)

This is my current favorite as I'm using it for inspiration to redecorate the classroom.

boy-on-mt-fuji.jpg

Albrecht Durer is my favorite artist. I love this one, St. Michael fighting the dragon. It makes a powerful statement to me.

SuperStock_995-3626.jpg

I also like John Lennon's artwork. This is the print dh has had for years.

lennon_two_is_one.jpg

Elegantlion, that oriental painting is breathtaking. I can just imagine myself in the tree.

Isn't it just relaxing. I found it the other day in my search for some inspiration for our classroom. Ds really wants to travel to Japan when he is older. We already have a tree motif going in our school, spurned by Homer's comment about a Generation of Leaves. “Like the generations of leaves, the lives of mortal men. Now the wind scatters the old leaves across the earth, now the living timber bursts with the new buds and spring comes round again. And so with men: as one generation comes to life, another dies away.â€

― Homer, The Iliad

So add the one boy that I have and it's a perfect mix for us. At first I thought it was lonely, but if you look close it's like the boy is playing a flute, as if he is trying to move the mountain or entertain it. I haven't delved into the history of the painting yet, except it was done by Hokusai, who is probably best known for the giant wave print. http://www.katsushikahokusai.org/

Isn't it just relaxing. I found it the other day in my search for some inspiration for our classroom. Ds really wants to travel to Japan when he is older. We already have a tree motif going in our school, spurned by Homer's comment about a Generation of Leaves. “Like the generations of leaves, the lives of mortal men. Now the wind scatters the old leaves across the earth, now the living timber bursts with the new buds and spring comes round again. And so with men: as one generation comes to life, another dies away.â€

― Homer, The Iliad

So add the one boy that I have and it's a perfect mix for us. At first I thought it was lonely, but if you look close it's like the boy is playing a flute, as if he is trying to move the mountain or entertain it. I haven't delved into the history of the painting yet, except it was done by Hokusai, who is probably best known for the giant wave print. http://www.katsushikahokusai.org/

I know the giant wave very well. I didn't think the tree painting was lonely looking at all, it seems like more of spiritual/meditative thing to me, invoking peace and contentment.

I love his Hotel Room best, perhaps because I saw it in the flesh, and I must say Hopper in the flesh is much better than prints. You really need to a bigger painting to see the subtlety. (True of art in general, but Hopper's first-glance simplicity blown away when you see them in person.)

I know what you mean about seeing the actual painting vs a print.

I like Mondrian's work but I am usually :confused:. Then I saw an actual Mondrian, it was very impressive.