Menu

Scheduling Beast Academy with Singapore Math?

Mama2two

I am considering using Beast Academy next year for my 8 year old son who loves math, but doesn't like to read. He has never read comic books before and hoping sliding some reading in with is math may be a good thing! ;)

Do most people use BA in conjunction with something else?

This year we did RightStart Level C and supplemented with Singapore 2a/2b.

Next year my plan is to use Singapore 3 without Rightstart.

Anyone else doing this? How would I add in/schedule BA? Does my plan make sense or too much?

Singapore is our main math curriculum, and I recently added Beast Academy (affectionately known as "monster math" around here) to the mix. My dd9 and ds7 (using Singapore 3A and 4A, respectively) are using it. We do Singapore 3x per week and BA 2x. They LOVE the comic book and read it in their free time since they enjoy it so much. The workbook is challenging. It's nothing they can't do. They just have to think a bit. The answers are not immediately obvious. The first day they did the workbook, they were upset by this, but now they've come to expect it.

And a follow up question please.

For anyone doing a SM/BA combo are you using Ba inplace of either IP or CWP??

I'm considering doing a BA/SM combo with my DS, but the BA would be in place of the textbook rather than IP & CWP. So instead of doing SM text + IP + CWP, DS would do BA + IP + CWP. I would need to get my hands on the full BA set, however, as I've only seen the sample chapter.

We are using BA and Singapore. Ds is finishing up 4A in Singapore and so somewhat ahead of the concepts in BA but it goes deeper and has been worth it so far. What has worked for us was to mostly stop Singapore and just do BA. It happened to become available when we were almost done with 4A anyway so it was good for us to just take a break. We also use LOF and while ds has been doing LOF Fractions he's been doing BA. I also assign him a few word problems from IP or CWP weekly. What works for us is not to have a daily schedule but to tell him what I want to do in Math each week. So it might be 1) Read the next 5 chapters of LOF and do the bridge, 2) 1-2 word problems a day 3) Some Mental Math review 1 or 2 days and 4) Some BA. With BA I have found I don't need to tell him how much to do as he likes it a lot.

What seems to work best for us is to do a chunk from one curriculum, then a chunk from another instead of trying to schedule both daily.

I'm considering doing a BA/SM combo with my DS, but the BA would be in place of the textbook rather than IP & CWP. So instead of doing SM text + IP + CWP, DS would do BA + IP + CWP. I would need to get my hands on the full BA set, however, as I've only seen the sample chapter.

BA doesn't have the standard (or Singapore) sequence, so how would you teach what needs to be taught for the IP and CWP?

BA doesn't have the standard (or Singapore) sequence, so how would you teach what needs to be taught for the IP and CWP?

Looking at the S&S on the BA website for 3A-3D there appears to be a lot of overlap with Singapore 3A/B. Obviously not every topic in BA would have corresponding chapters in IP/CWP and not every chapter in Singapore would be covered in BA 3. DS will have to take the California STAR test starting in 2nd so I would still need to cover certain topics using Singapore.

Currently DS is working through Right Start C & Singapore 1B IP, so he wouldn't be starting BA for a bit anyways.

We skipped SM 3b text/wb since dd7 is doing BA3a/b along w/ SM 2 cwp. Beast is much more enjoyable than SM 3b (which is my least favorite level). Don't ask me why. It just is. :tongue_smilie:

Dd7 uses MUS blocks w/ some BA problems. Seemed logical since she was building squares. Your dc may not need the concrete.

That's what I want to do, but there is some work on fractions in SM 3b, isn't it? Since we don't know what exactly BA will cover in fractions, I am afraid to bypass SM 3b. I was told on this board that SM 3b covers some topics that aren't repeated in later years. I just wish BA would give us detailed TOC for the second half of third grade so we know what is coming and when. I really do want to jump straight into SM 4a.:001_unsure:

At some point I am going to have to push the buy button at Rainbow and I just can't make the decision.

I think if you are going to combine, the best thing is not to over think it. Just go with the flow and meet the needs of your student. With mine, I don't try to match up topics or anything like that. My kiddo sometimes works out of two programs in one day, or sometimes he wants to zip along one program for a time.

Are you asking which books to buy? If you are working with a math adept child and you want to use BA and SM then I suggest buying at least the SM textbook and the IP.

When we got BA (the week after it was released), we did Singapore (4B) 3 days a week and BA 2 days a week. We did 2 lessons a day in Singapore, since the topic we were doing was very easy for DS - took him about 30 minutes to complete 2 lessons (that's with me going over the HIG/TB material with him, then sending him off to do the workbook exercise). In BA, we just worked through it at whatever pace he could go. Some sections went slow, and some went fast. When we got to skip counting, he flew through it, but the previous section had taken a little longer. BA is not broken into separate lessons like SM is, so you just work until you've done enough math for the day.

I can't imagine trying to align BA with SM. Their scope and sequence is so vastly different. BA hits seemingly lower level topics, but goes very wide with them. Singapore hits topics earlier than is standard sometimes.

Thanks, I'm not trying align them, just wondering how people schedule. I was initially planning on doing the workbook, IP and CWP and was wondering if that was overkilll how people scheduled it. Do youdo both math each day, 3 days a week on one and 2 on another, etc....

My son uses the SM workbook two days a week because he can do it independently (those are the days their dad is in charge, and math is far from being a strong point for him). He uses BA the other three days (when I'm in charge), and we'll switch to CWP when he finishes the WBs, then on to the next level, etc. I don't try to align them; I think part of the strength of our setup is the variety. We'll also be starting STAR testing next year in second grade, so he'll need to be solid on the CA standards. Best of both worlds.

That's what I want to do, but there is some work on fractions in SM 3b, isn't it? Since we don't know what exactly BA will cover in fractions, I am afraid to bypass SM 3b. I was told on this board that SM 3b covers some topics that aren't repeated in later years.

The fractions work in SM 3B is repeated in 4A. What is not repeated after 3B is all the measurement topics. Without having seen BA 3C, it is unclear how much measurement is covered in that book.

My son uses the SM workbook two days a week because he can do it independently (those are the days their dad is in charge, and math is far from being a strong point for him). He uses BA the other three days (when I'm in charge), and we'll switch to CWP when he finishes the WBs, then on to the next level, etc. I don't try to align them; I think part of the strength of our setup is the variety. We'll also be starting STAR testing next year in second grade, so he'll need to be solid on the CA standards. Best of both worlds.

Thanks Laura, that is helpful. My son is currently working independent finishing up SM 2B (already finished Rightstart C) and we do IP/CWP together so something liek that may work. Are you finding that you are to be get through the workbook and CWP in one year just doing it two days a week or are you not worried about that?

I am considering using Beast Academy next year for my 8 year old son who loves math, but doesn't like to read. He has never read comic books before and hoping sliding some reading in with is math may be a good thing! ;)

Do most people use BA in conjunction with something else?

We use BA in conjunction with SM. My 9yo son does BA3B with CWP4 for our summer schedule which we've already begun. He actually does about 45min of CWP4 and then another 30 minutes per day of BA3B for three days per week. He likes math, though, and he considers BA fun math. So he so far doesn't seem to mind doing two different maths in one day.

I wouldn't say my son LOVES to read either, but he does like the cartoon format of BA as he usually reads Calvin and Hobbes for fun. He finds the BA format engaging and the problems interesting.

Good luck. :)

We use BA in conjunction with SM. My 9yo son does BA3B with CWP4 for our summer schedule which we've already begun. He actually does about 45min of CWP4 and then another 30 minutes per day of BA3B for three days per week. He likes math, though, and he considers BA fun math. So he so far doesn't seem to mind doing two different maths in one day.

I wouldn't say my son LOVES to read either, but he does like the cartoon format of BA as he usually reads Calvin and Hobbes for fun. He finds the BA format engaging and the problems interesting.

Good luck. :)

Thanks! I have heard such good things about it, I am looking forward to giving it a try. Have it on order!

One final bump in case anyone else can share how they combine the two

He is my plan. Every time they release a new BA set we will buy it and then work on it obsessively until it is finished. The rest of the time we will prod through Singapore Math.

What do you think of that plan? :D

Bill

Anyone use TT with Beast Academy? My 7yo is finishing Singapore 2B and working through his brother's TT4. He is more than half way through. I thought about letting him keep going through TT but supplementing with Beast Acaemdy 3A and 3B to give him more challenge.

He is my plan. Every time they release a new BA set we will buy it and then work on it obsessively until it is finished. The rest of the time we will prod through Singapore Math.

Bill

Ha! Makes me excited to get it in the mail! Bill, do you think it could be a replacement for SM IP?

Bill

Hey, you stole OUR plan! Although we'll be plodding through MEP. :D

Ha! Makes me excited to get it in the mail! Bill, do you think it could be a replacement for SM IP?

Beast Academy and the Intensive Practice books are different enough that my plan for now is to do both. The late year release of two BA sets has turned my goal of finishing all the level 3 Singapore materials by mid-July from a cake-walk into a nail-biter :D

I hope you enjoy!

Bill

Beast Academy and the Intensive Practice books are different enough that my plan for now is to do both. The late year release of two BA sets has turned my goal of finishing all the level 3 Singapore materials by mid-July from a cake-walk into a nail-biter :D

I hope you enjoy!

Bill

I thought 3C was due out in July? Did that change?

I hope you enjoy!

Bill

Have a math loving son so looking forward to it, but looks like we are going to be busy. Have to admit was hoping it would replace IP or CWP ;)

I thought 3C was due out in July? Did that change?

I think it is due about then.

Mid-July (the 11th, in fact) and Christmas have turned into goals for completion dates as (lucky kid that he is) new math, English, and other books are always part of his birthday (July) and Christmas gifts. So I like to clear the decks by July 11, and start a "new year" that day.

Because who doesn't want to do math on their birthday?! :D

Bill (fun-dad :tongue_smilie:)

Have a math loving son so looking forward to it, but looks like we are going to be busy. Have to admit was hoping it would replace IP or CWP ;)

I get the time pressures. I had actually scaled-back the number of resources we were using just to make life simpler. Then BA was released and they foiled my plans :tongue_smilie:

And BA has sucked us into doing topics in AoPS Prealgebra. So be careful out there! :D

Bill

I hope you enjoy!

Bill

We are doing the same thing. However, I am going to skip over topics in SM that are covered in Beast to my liking. All the geometry that's in SM is going out of the door. We will do decimals, fractions, etc still with SM. So I am hoping that it won't double the work, but more like increase it by 30%.

And we decided to skip SM 3b completely (thanks Crimson Wife!), since I think measurement units can be easily added back in if BA fails to teach it (I am sure they will do an awesome job though :D). Overall, I am resisting the temptation to call AoPS folks and beeeeggggg to at least release scope and sequence (they would have conceived that before writing the curriculum, right?). It would make planning soooo much easier.

The best thing is my son doesn't think BA is homework. He thinks it's fun so I am going to push the pedal on it harder during vacations. :D Our poor children.

I get the time pressures. I had actually scaled-back the number of resources we were using just to make life simpler. Then BA was released and they foiled my plans :tongue_smilie:

And BA has sucked us into doing topics in AoPS Prealgebra. So be careful out there! :D

Bill

NOT even going to look! :D

NOT even going to look! :D

Might as well order it along with BA, because you will one look and 1) You realize if this is 3rd grade math that you'd better get a head-start* 2) It is just such a cool way to learn and the AoPS topics flow nicely on top of the BA lessons, and is possible to extend the concepts. 3) You will need it anyway, save on shipping.

Get it for you. That's what I did. AoPS was a gift from the Black Lion to my son to give to me on Christmas. It came with a card saying it would be yours [my son's] one day. That for now it was for your father for him to study, so he could one day help you.

That day is coming sooner than I expected. Start now! ;)

Bill

*may not apply to certain math geeks :D

Might as well order it along with BA, because you will one look and 1) You realize if this is 3rd grade math that you'd better get a head-start* 2) It is just such a cool way to learn and the AoPS topics flow nicely on top of the BA lessons, and is possible to extend the concepts. 3) You will need it anyway, save on shipping.

Get it for you. That's what I did. AoPS was a gift from the Black Lion to my son to give to me on Christmas. It came with a card saying it would be yours [my son's] one day. That for now it was for your father for him to study, so he could one day help you.

That day is coming sooner than I expected. Start now! ;)

Bill

*may not apply to certain math geeks :D

So true, so true. I've always enjoyed math, but definitely didn't learn it this way. Wish I did, and see my kid's brains do such amazing things (in multiple subjects) definitely need to try and keep ahead!

We're going to Maui in June and dds will 'get' to do math on vacation with Crewton Ramone. We know how to party. :)

*Jealous!* Tell us everything! If your girls aren't featured on his site, I'll be so disappointed! How can he not show a vid w/ those cuties?

Let us know all about it, OK?

• 2 months later...