Menu

How often do you do each subject each week?

Mom to Aly

I teach Math, Language, Spelling, History, and Reading 5 days a week.

Typing is 2-3 times a week. The days we dont do typing I have my son play on time 4 learning.

Science is at least done 3 times a week.... more if my son asks.

Crafts and other projects are done 2 times a week.

My dd8 schools six days per week. Here are the approximate times and days. We are quite flexible, but this is the goal I have on paper. Her schedule will be the same at age 9.

Daily:

Math (5 hrs. week)

Language Arts (2.5 hrs. week)

Latin (3 hrs. week)

Literature (5 hrs. week)

Writing (1.5 hrs. week)

Recitation (1 hr. week)

3 times per week:

Spanish (1.5 hrs. week)

French (1.5 hrs. week)

2 times per week:

History (3 hrs. week)

Science (2 hrs. week)

Reading (1 hr week)

1 time per week:

Geography (1 hr week)

Art (1 hr week)

I used to use a schedule similar to Tired Mama, but I find that the afternoon science/art/music, 2 or 3 times a week things rarely got done on top of our daily core.

So next year we are doing reading, writing, math, history, and recorder 4 days a week. Then on the 5th we will do art and history projects, art and music appreciation, and a big chunk of science. I think being able to schedule these things in the morning one day a week will work really well for us, and it will keep our other days shorter.

We do a schedule a bit like Mallory. M through Th we do Bible, Math, Spelling, Grammar, and Copywork. On Monday and Wednesday we do History after that, and on Tuesday and Thursday we do Science. Then on Fri we do Art, Music, a bit of Geography, and Nature Study. Fri is a lighter day.

My goal is to be done before lunch each day.

In an ideal world, the only subject we would do daily would be Latin and math, with time for memory work and reading each day as well, and composition/writing/copywork - whatever was age-appropriate.

I have a dd that is weak in handwriting and spelling, though, so we work on those every single day.

Grammar is 3-4 times a week (she actually asks to do grammar sometimes!), history is 1-2 times a week, ditto science.

I outsource music/art/drama, so that's all done in one day per week. :) As she's getting older, I'm going to get my dad (the actual artist in the family) to do drawing/painting lessons with her once a week in addition to the projects and art history she does at MAFA.

For my 4th grader

Daily:

Math

Grammar

Spelling

4 Xs a week

Science

3 Xs a week

History

Writing

For my 1st grader

Daily:

Math

Spelling

Phonics

4 Xs a week

Science

3 Xs a week

History

Writing

Grammar

Reading is done as family reading time which is usually 20-30 minutes 7 days a week.

I teach Math, Language, Spelling, History, and Reading 5 days a week.

Typing is 2-3 times a week. The days we dont do typing I have my son play on time 4 learning.

Science is at least done 3 times a week.... more if my son asks.

Crafts and other projects are done 2 times a week.

:iagree: I'll just ditto this. :) Except we do typing daily. :)

We do most subjects 4 days/week (handwriting, spelling, grammar, history, science, Latin). Math is 5 days/week. PE is whenever our outside activities are scheduled (swim lessons, softball, gymnastics). Art is optimistically written in once a week but it gets skipped a lot!

From my teaching days long, long ago when our school was messing around with the schedule, I recall that the math and foreign language teachers felt that the kids needed to work on those subjects daily for shorter periods of time. History, English, and science teachers wanted longer periods fewer days of the week to have more in-depth discussions, activities, or labs. FWIW.

Maths, reading, and usually some type of writing/language arts is daily.

We have two days where we are out of the house a lot....it is for lessons (science, drama, sport), but it cuts into our home lesson time.

So, we do all our history and science and extra bits and pieces- foreign languages, art, music appreciation, etc on the other three days. We do CM so we do a lot of short subjects- daily poem for example- which we only do on the three days we are home all day.

I school 5 days a week most of the time.

This is what we usually do daily:

handwriting

spelling

grammar

math

science

history

the boys reading aloud to me (from each boy's reader)

me reading at least one chapter from a chapter book aloud to them

at least one poem

they also read independently daily

There really is no way I could get the history and science done doing it only a couple of times a week.

Do you try to do major subjects each day, or do you alternate all subjects according to days of the week?

We focus on math and language arts every day. For my youngest this is phonics and my oldest it is Latin, spelling and grammar.

I do read SOTW to my oldest at the pace of 1 chapter per week.

Otherwise we have decided to work off a list of subjects and do research projects on them. Currently, we have been doing a lot of animal topics. We lapbook, notebook or make a poster about what we are learning.

And do you hs every day?

We do a 4-day week year round.

:001_smile:

It is here on my blogsite what I am doing with my sons next year

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony/page2/&thisy=&thism=&thisd='>http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Testimony/page2/&thisy=&thism=&thisd='>http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony/page2/&thisy=&thism=&thisd='>http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Testimony/page2/&thisy=&thism=&thisd=

Blessings in your homeschool journey!

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

We do Reading, Language Arts, PE, Religion everyday. We school 6 days a week year round due to state requirements and his father's visitation schedule. Science and History are two days a week for longer periods. Music one day a week, Math four days a week, Health one day a week. In the process of adding Nature Study one to two days a week.

I do school five days, but Fridays are lighter, traditionally, as that's when we try to do field trips. I do most subjects on most days. This next year, I'll be alternating Spanish and Latin. I'll also be doing geography three days and logic the other two.

I allow about thirty minutes for most written work type subjects, but lots don't take that long and we tend to fill in with more reading (our favorite)!

This next year, I'll also be doing history 90 minutes on two days and science 90 minutes on the other two. On Fridays, we'll use any spare time we might have to catch up on any history/science stuff we didn't get finished on the other days.

I plan to homeschool 4 days a week w/Friday doing the morning Bible and Language Arts that both my homeschool and public school children do and then going to our Co-OP with field trip and nature study in afternoons.

5 days a week

Bible

Reading

Language Arts

Penmanship

4 days a week

Literature/History Read Alouds

Math

Science

Composition

2 Days a week

Spanish

Typing

Computer

Art

1 day a week

Music (outsourced)

Co-OP

Nature Study

We've done different things. This last year, we did every subject every day, five days a week. The two oldest dc were independent on some things like handwriting, spelling, English, and math (oldest dd only), so I wasn't actually teaching every subject every day. But work was being done every day. With Latin, I drilled them on the week's lesson Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and they listened to their CD's and completed the seatwork on the off days.