Menu

SOTW activities that can't be misssed?

MeganW

Two other families are coming here every other Friday in the fall to do SOTW activities. Obviously we will only be doing about a third to half the activities as we are only meeting once every other week.

Which activities were your kids' favorites? If you had a top 3-5, which were they?

ETA: Volume 1 - Ancients

Edited by MeganW

Which volume of SOTW? We only did volume 1 and the very first part of 2, but Ariel loved building and playing with the shaduf and making a "skin" hunting bag and then hunting for plastic lizards and snakes around the house. The bird mummy was interesting. We used a Cornish game hen instead of a chicken because it was smaller and took less time. She also enjoyed dressing as a Celt and pretending to be Alexander the Great catching Bucephalus. Coloring the pictures and doing the maps seemed to help make the info stick better. Basically, she loves anything she can dress up and act out.

My kids enjoyed many of the 'craft projects', making a scene of Egypt was one that got played with a lot, we also made it very big, both kids could be alligators in the river, or farmers in the field, or 'grave robbers' at the same time. It only lasted a few weeks before it saw the recycle bin.

Funny, we didn't do any of the above. We did do the archeological dig and the cave paintings at the beginning of the year. We learned some Egyptian writing and made scrolls with a sentence on them. We did some feasts. We did dress up like Celts like a PP I remember. And we made a model of a Roman road showing the different layers. I don't know if that was fun, but my girls really remember it.

In between there we did a lot of paper, artsy crafts whenever they came up. We made Greek stickers. We made books for the first library. We made clay Sumerian something or others. We made a clay volcano and exploded it for Pompeii.

One thing we did that was really fun for Egypt:

We got rubber stamps of heiroglyphs matched up with English letters. I stamped out some messages on strips of paper and hid them in our playroom, taped to the wall in different not-very-noticeable places. Then I "hired" my child to "excavate the tomb." She had to search the playroom with a flashlight until she found the heiroglyphs, translate them, and figure out whose tomb it was.

We also got a lot of mileage out of making simple tunics from white pillowcases. Cut a hole in the closed end for the child's head and two more holes on the sides for armholes. It's Egyptian! It's Greek! It's Roman! It's great for any kind of pretend game.

One thing we did that was really fun for Egypt:

We got rubber stamps of heiroglyphs matched up with English letters. I stamped out some messages on strips of paper and hid them in our playroom, taped to the wall in different not-very-noticeable places. Then I "hired" my child to "excavate the tomb." She had to search the playroom with a flashlight until she found the heiroglyphs, translate them, and figure out whose tomb it was.

Where did you get the stamps? My boys would love that!

• 2 weeks later...

A few my kids enjoyed we're cave paintings, "carving" cuneiform on clay tablets, painting papyrus, archeological dig, sugar cube pyramids (only we used Starbursts and my kids LOVED that! :lol:) Anansi the spider, making a roman fasces.. . We did lots of the paper projects too like the 10 plagues sticker one and the Greek dolls. We didn't do nearly as many projects as I would have liked but we notebooked, colored, and mapped consistently.