Menu

What is the most sanitary way to clean a toilet?

Am I weird because I'm just NOT grossed out by toilet germs? I mean, I change poopy diapers and clean poopy bottoms several times a day. What's a little more poop, lol. And of course, I worked in a dog kennel for a long time, then as a vet tech for a decade. I've had so much excrement on me that a toilet that looks clean is just not going to gross me out because of some possible germs.

Like I said, baby diapers are way more gross. Or mildew in the shower. Now THAT grosses me out. To the point that I have actual nightmares about mildew encrusted bathrooms. yuck.

I also just realized that we wipe our rear ends without wearing gloves. So why is that ok, but wiping the toilet down requires hazmat gear?

No, I usually just scrub it and I'm done. I'll wipe it with Seventh Generation disinfecting wipes during plague season (I have the kids wipe the sink, then the toilet at the end of the night).

I went through a period where I couldn't find a proper toilet brush, so I used some Mrs Meyers lavender toilet cleaner and a scrubby sponge. And then I washed my hands.

The men's locker room toilet needs a hazmat suit, though.

Ok, how come I have a spot up at the top that gets moldy no matter how hard I scrub, my brush just doesn't fit in unless I jam it in and scrub frantically for several minutes? I hate my toilets. When I moved in, they were stained pink and it took so much work to remove the stains, and they just get moldy and gross so fast....I swear it's these particular toilets.

It's hard water build up. It makes nice little bumps, cracks, and crevices for bacteria to multiply. Try some lime-away and a scrub sponge. It might take several attempts. Or you could do what I did- go buy a new toilet w/ everclean tecnology. :D

How about the way Stavi cleans a toilet?? Rats....I can't find a clip online. It's from the movie The Ringer. Remember how he's cleaning the public toilet with his bare hand and arm all the way down into the toilet. Grooooossssssss!!!!!! And then he says, "Stavi not too bright". :lol:

:001_huh: I don't see the way I do them here at all.

Thanks Mom, throw me in the weirdo category again......

I plunge back the water until there is no water in the bowl. Mix up a bucket of bleach water, pour that in. Leave soaking for an hour. Flush. Now Toliet bowl cleaner, clingy blue stuff, scrub. Flush. All over wipedown, pull up the seat tabs, get under there, and wax the sides/tank with turtle wax.

I don't mean to sound rude.........but why??? :001_huh:

That's funny, but I see your point.

They're easier for kids, no climbing required, and accidents (don't quite make it on time) are easier to clean up. A lot fewer nooks and crannies to deal with, ugh.

Looks like it could cause a mess all around, if you ask me. And.....what about when you really gotta go and it's gonna take you awhile? Who can squat that long? I'd think you'd fall over. :lol:

probably a little ocd here myself' date=' but i do NOT use a brush. every time i've ever tried to keep a brush and use it, i get annoyed by then having to clean it's little stand. and i get REALLY tired of small children trying to do random things with that brush like clean the toilet and then drag said brush, dripping with toilet water, through the house.

SO, i clean it with my bare little hands. i use random products from clorox cleanup to baking soda and vinegar - depending on how dirty i think it is at the time. i remove the whole seat once per week and soak it in the tub (it's plastic) - sometimes just in hot water. i wipe the outside with a rag with whatever cleaning solution i'm using inside. i steam around it with my shark mop. we have hard well water. i have two young boys (you know what that means). but we are all healthy and my hands have not rotted off from the years of cleaning the toilet!

i put the cleaning rags in a pan in the laundry room and they get washed separately with other cleaning rag type stuff.

then i wash my hands.[/quote']

:blink:

It's hard water build up. It makes nice little bumps, cracks, and crevices for bacteria to multiply. Try some lime-away and a scrub sponge. It might take several attempts. Or you could do what I did- go buy a new toilet w/ everclean tecnology. :D

I don't own my home, but the word is we might be getting low water toilets soon! hooray. I'd love any sort of new toilet. Especially one that cleans itself!

Looks like it could cause a mess all around, if you ask me. And.....what about when you really gotta go and it's gonna take you awhile? Who can squat that long? I'd think you'd fall over. :lol:

Um, if you're squatting, it doesn't actually take that long. That's the position that helps signal the bowels to do their thing. Modern toilets (well, and modern diet, probably) are what cause things to take a while... Not ergonomic. :D

I just use regular soapy water and pour some dish soap in the bowl or even some shampoo or bubble bath and scrub. I use bleach occasionally, but I am trying to limit my use of bleach and chemicals.

Now, I did have a new option presented to me yesterday. My 4 year old daughter was scrubbing the bowl and she wanted me to go away while she planned to scrub the bowl for about an hour while I made supper. I didn't go with that option.

I guess I won't divulge the frequency with which I clean my toilets.

As for technique, I have a brush next to each toilet in the house. It has it's own little place to sit. I squirt toilet cleaning stuff into the toilet, wait 10 minutes, scrub the inside with the brush, and then flush. As for the outside, I use those disposable wipe thingies.

Um, if you're squatting, it doesn't actually take that long. That's the position that helps signal the bowels to do their thing. Modern toilets (well, and modern diet, probably) are what cause things to take a while... Not ergonomic. :D

Well, I have had a kid who got constipated while traveling, and it was indeed very hard to squat for the duration.

I use Clorox spray and the Works. The Works for the toilet bowl, scrubbed with a scrub brush/handle attached. Then I use Clorox spray for the outside/rim/where the "pieces" that hold the seat down and then I scrub with a rag (rinsing MULTIPLE TIMES) during the process.

Nasty, no. But, it needs to be done!

Turtle wax makes it easier to clean. I use it in the sinkbowls also.

If you have aged, pitted ceramic, even better. It creates a glossy finish which "things" will not "stick" too..for the sink...think toothpaste and other gooey soap scum.

For the tank, it's pretty self explanatory. :)

Turtle wax makes it easier to clean. I use it in the sinkbowls also.

If you have aged, pitted ceramic, even better. It creates a glossy finish which "things" will not "stick" too..for the sink...think toothpaste and other gooey soap scum.

For the tank, it's pretty self explanatory. :)

So, you drain/dry the bowl first before applying?

I don't own my home, but the word is we might be getting low water toilets soon! hooray. I'd love any sort of new toilet. Especially one that cleans itself!

I was gonna say for some of us it's reeeeealy hard to go in that position :lol:.

And it's also much easier to miss - the sorry state of public bathrooms in much of the word is a nasty testament. :D

Wow, reading this thread, I feel like such a toilet cleaning minimalist.

I guess what I don't get, is why does the INSIDE of the toilet need to be clean enough to eat out of? I mean, nobody ever even touches the inside at all (except maybe whoever is cleaning it). I get making sure the seat is clean, and the dust wiped off, and the bowl scrubbed enough that there's nothing growing or smelling. But long soaks with bleach, hand-scubbing in the bowl, and all that? What's the purpose?

Wow, reading this thread, I feel like such a toilet cleaning minimalist.

I guess what I don't get, is why does the INSIDE of the toilet need to be clean enough to eat out of? I mean, nobody ever even touches the inside at all (except maybe whoever is cleaning it). I get making sure the seat is clean, and the dust wiped off, and the bowl scrubbed enough that there's nothing growing or smelling. But long soaks with bleach, hand-scubbing in the bowl, and all that? What's the purpose?

Because, if you don't, then the bacteria in it can cause a smell and, if you have well water or extremely hard water, the minerals will build up. To prevent having to feel like you are cleaning with a jackhammer later, you simply keep it up from the get go.

Am I weird because I'm just NOT grossed out by toilet germs? I mean, I change poopy diapers and clean poopy bottoms several times a day. What's a little more poop, lol. *snip*

I also just realized that we wipe our rear ends without wearing gloves. So why is that ok, but wiping the toilet down requires hazmat gear?

:iagree:

I'm a toilet cleaning minimalist too. I pour some all purpose cleaner in the bowl and swish it with a brush (I attempt to follow flylady and do this several times/week). The outside, I spray with an all purpose cleaner and wipe with a rag, my cleaning rags get washed with bleach.