Menu

I am *this close* to re-homing...

a 12yo blind cat. :glare:

She has a history of spraying (yes, females can and do spray), but not for the last 8 years, since we moved here. She stays upstairs almost exclusively since she's been blind; she is able to use her litter box, and has food and water available. She sleeps on me at night.

And she has started peeing on the carpet, and spraying--$60 to clean the curtains :glare:.

I know someone will say that she could have a bladder infection, but I don't believe that's it, based on her past history.

I cannot allow her to ruin the carpet. I have washed the rug in the bathroom three times now because she's peed on it. I've caught her spraying a couple of times and happened to have my squirt gun ready to go, so she got that. I've used a spray on the carpet and rug that's supposed to repel cats.

If I thought she could actually be re-homed, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

And I love this kitty dearly. I just cannot allow her to ruin carpet and who knows what else.

::heavy sigh::

Edited by Ellie

...but if she has not done this for 8 YEARS, she really COULD have a bladder infection. Isn't it at least worth a test at the vet before you re-home a blind 12 yr old cat?? Or worse, PTS a cat you love?

I have a 15 year old siamese cat whom I love dearly and he can definitely get on my nerves at times (he loves to get on my table and steal food!), but I LOVE him and I can't fathom the decision you are making. It is at least worth a trip to the vet. Surely.

Are you absolutely positive it's not something with her health? We had a cat that began spraying/peeing when she was 13, and it turns out she had cancer and her kidneys were also failing. Maybe a trip to the vet to rule it out couldn't hurt?

I'd put a cat that age to sleep before I'd try and make it someone else's problem. She'd probably have a hard time adjusting to a new place, and I doubt it would cure her from this habit.

As incredibly horrible this may sound to many, I agree with this AFTER I had exhausted my options at the vet. It is awful to lose a pet, and I am a definite cat person. I have a 12yo cat, and I am constantly grateful he is doing well right now. But, I would have to draw the line at some point.

Our cat had something like this and it was kitty stones (something like kidney stones). He went on to live another healthy 8 years after diagnosis and treatment. I don't blame you for not wanting to live with that, but I would definitely take kitty to the vet.

At that age, after going so many years without a problem, I'd suspect a health issue. Might be something easily fixed with antibiotics, or might be something serious that would make you decide to put her to sleep. Rehoming a blind cat that sprays isn't an option.

I agree with the vet trip. I should've said that as well. I'd have to rule out something treatable.

I would just always wonder if she were rehomed and did the same at her next home, what would happen to her then? It's HARD to place young cats, much less old, ill or bad-mannered ones. That's why I would suggest euthanasia over trying to rehome.

Sadly, we are dealing with issues like these with 2 older small dogs. Neither can hold their urine well. One is partially blind and has SERIOUS anxiety issues that make him hack almost non-stop. The other is skin and BONES despite being fed well. Both have had regular, recent vet care.

I'm leaving to go to Hawaii for 3 weeks and I am honestly thinking it may need to be done before I go. The frail one is already suffering with the heat when she's only outside 5-10 minutes to potty. She does have good times where she seems okay, but mostly she won't come out of her crate, and she just pees in it. It's awful. The other one is just a miserable animal ALL THE TIME. It's just a hard decision to make.

I agree with the vet trip. I should've said that as well. I'd have to rule out something treatable.

I would just always wonder if she were rehomed and did the same at her next home, what would happen to her then? It's HARD to place young cats, much less old, ill or bad-mannered ones. That's why I would suggest euthanasia over trying to rehome.

Sadly, we are dealing with issues like these with 2 older small dogs. Neither can hold their urine well. One is partially blind and has SERIOUS anxiety issues that make him hack almost non-stop. The other is skin and BONES despite being fed well. Both have had regular, recent vet care.

I'm leaving to go to Hawaii for 3 weeks and I am honestly thinking it may need to be done before I go. The frail one is already suffering with the heat when she's only outside 5-10 minutes to potty. She does have good times where she seems okay, but mostly she won't come out of her crate, and she just pees in it. It's awful. The other one is just a miserable animal ALL THE TIME. It's just a hard decision to make.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I have a cat that pees on things when she doesn't feel good, or she gets pissed about something (pun intended), or if the house gets really dirty. Yep, she likes a clean house. I guess she thinks that if we are going to mess up her house- she is going to mess up ours! :grouphug: Ellie. I would take her to the vet.

I just brought a cat to our city humane society. She is young and beautiful, though grouchy (we had to relinquish her because we had taken her in when she had been dumped, but our elderly cat just couldn't get along with her and had taken to peeing on the floor in protest, which stopped the day the younger cat was gone). Even so, I had to beg and plead to get them to take her. All the animal intake places in central Texas are overwhelmed by kittens this year, and the city shelter just announced they are going to start euthanizing healthy, non-vicious cats that can't be placed. That means the old ones with peeing/spraying issues. With the city shelter now giving away adult cats for free, and throwing in neutering, chipping, and shots, nobody is going to take a less desirable cat. I talked to the no-kill humane society up north in Williamson County, and they told me they're not taking adult cats for the same reasons.

Just for what it's worth. Right now is a bad time to unload a cat, even a young adult who pees where he ought.

Edited by Sharon in Austin

Ellie, your post is so timely. My son, the recalcitrant one who has so many issues, occasionally speaks a powerful truth to me--he said yesterday that we do not take good care of our pets, and in a way, he's right. So I am taking my PIA cat (she's about 14, very thin, and meows constantly) to the vet this morning. I was putting it off and tamping down the feeling that I should, but he's right.

Sometimes the Lord humbles me and it's rather painful.

Just so you know, I think He used your situation to speak to mine!

So, thanks for taking yours to the vet. :001_smile:

is she spayed? I know they will spray if they arent fixed. 12 is a bit old for it to be done, but if its not a health issue, you MIGHT be able to find a vet or low cost spay/neuter clinic to do it.

Oh, yes, she was spayed when she was 6mo.

We had two other cats who sprayed--a male and a female--both of whom had been neutered.

I am an expert when it comes to knowing about cats and spraying. :glare:

We are going through something similar.

I have a beautiful, petite, cuddly 11 year old cat....who has been pooping in basement corners for the last 4 years. She recently added peeing in various parts of the basement, usually over drains (helpful) but not always.

Its not a medical issue (vet checked her out multiple times and says its age or personality).

Its not an anxiety issue (those little pills don't work).

Extra litter boxes don't work.

Keeping litter boxes pristine doesn't work.

Crating her with a litter box for a few weeks doesn't work.

Frankly, it smells like urine here all the time and I'm tired. Of course she started this the winter my youngest initially got sick and his special needs have already taxed me to the limit. Dh has tried to clean up after her so I don't have to think about it. About a year ago he started using the E word but my 11 year old got so upset (and frankly the boys are under enough stress with their brother's issues) that we're back to business as usual and waiting for a slot at the humane society to open (hah).

Which reminds me, I need to bleach under the ping pong table again. Sigh.