Menu

Smithsonian Parking???

My mil is coming on Friday for 2.5 weeks. She always wants to be entertained and to go places. The problem is, she has mobility issues. She has MS and uses a walker (one with wheels) to get around. Even with the walker, she can only go relatively slowly and not for long.

We took her to DC last spring, but she could barely make it back to the subway after spending a couple hours at the Museum of Natural History - a place we'd normally spend the entire day at. She really wants to go back and see more, but I'm not sure she can handle the subway again. Does anyone know of a good place to park near the Mall? If I could drop her off at the front door, that would be much better for her than having to negotiate the subway.

The other places she'd love to go to are the Aquarium or Science Center in MD, but those are both outrageously expensive. I have been looking for Groupon/Living Social deals, but nothing has come up recently.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

Would she consider renting a wheelchair or buying an inexpensive one for the trip. That might help her last longer each day and everything I remember in DC was accessible. Sorry I don't know anything about parking-we used the metro and walked our feet off!

I have occasionally seen a wheelchair in the Walgreen's ad for around $100-$150 on sale-maybe you could check there?

Parking at the Smithsonian is all about timing. The road between Washington's Monument and the Smithsonian (14th St. NW) is a 3-lane road (each way) until 9:30 am, when the third lane turns into parking. If you hit that area at exactly 9:30 am, there is plenty of parking, and it's extremely close to the whole Smithsonian complex. The closest museum is the National Museum of American History. It's been two years since we lived in the area, so this is only good as long as no road rules have changed. Good Luck!

If you use her handicap parking tag, you can park in the accessible spaces nearby. The national aquarium, if I remember right, lets a tag displayer have double the usual parking time for free at the metered spaces.

A mobility scooter would work; these can be rented and there are models that fit inside a minivan.

:iagree:

If you can't do the scooter, perhaps rent a wheelchair to use instead - either will help her be able to do things longer without being fatigued.

Parking at the Smithsonian is all about timing. The road between Washington's Monument and the Smithsonian (14th St. NW) is a 3-lane road (each way) until 9:30 am, when the third lane turns into parking. If you hit that area at exactly 9:30 am, there is plenty of parking, and it's extremely close to the whole Smithsonian complex. The closest museum is the National Museum of American History. It's been two years since we lived in the area, so this is only good as long as no road rules have changed. Good Luck!

This is what I was going to suggest. Get there just before all the museums open at 10 and you should be able to find parking. Just remember to bring a lot of quarters to feed the meter. A friend of mine likes to park at the Reagan building, which is close to the mall. You could drop her off by the museum and then park and walk back.

Just recently, someone mentioned the parking on Madison and Jefferson and it was the Best Tip Ever!

If you get there just before 10, there should be parking along one of those two streets right in front of whatever museum you want to go to. The drawback is that it is 2-hour parking (maybe 4? I can't remember).

Of course, dropping off sounds like a better idea. I know there is a garage behind the Air and Space museum somewhere on the other side of Independence.

Thanks for the suggestions on getting a motorized scooter. She does have one at her house that she used sporadically. She was scammed into buying it a few years ago because it was supposed to fit into her trunk - it never did and now she has a new, smaller car that it certainly won't fit into.

However, she does use the scooters at Target and loves them. I'll check with the Smithsonian to see if we can book one of them for a visit. Or possibly, rent one for her visit here.

She will not use a wheelchair - she doesn't want to be that 'immobile'.

We live an hour from DC, so with rush hour traffic I can't see us getting into one of the spots in front of or beside the museums by 9:30 or 10am, but it's good to know there is other parking nearby that I could use.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. She does love to go places with us, but it's been getting difficult.

We've found parking in commercial garages not too far from the Mall area. You could always drop her off then park, and do it in reverse at the end of the day. The advantage of the garage is that you don't have to worry about feeding the meter. My logic is that the garage is cheaper than a ticket.

I second the idea to consider upgrading her "wheels" for the day. Some museums have wheelchairs to borrow; might be worth a phone call to see what is available.

I don't know if they still have it or not but years ago when we were living in MD there was a tour bus type of thing. When my parents came to visit I really wanted to take them into DC but knew my dad wouldn't be able to handle all the walking. The tour bus was perfect. it ran every few minutes and would pick people up and drop them off in front of all the museums and monuments. At the end of the day the bus dropped us at the subway which took us back the park and ride where we'd left the car.

My dad loved it and was so happy to get to see DC - something he thought he wouldn't be able to do because of all the walking.

BTW, he was fine inside the museums. it was still a lot of walking but he could take his time and sit and rest when he needed to.

I just want to second that parking is all about timing on the mall and that having a handicapped permit opens up a lot more options. The roads along the mall even have great parking if you get there at 9:30 that make Air and Space, Natural History and the NGA more accessible.

You'll probably do best if you drop her off - maybe with one of your kids for company - and then go off and park. Even if you get joyfully close, it'll still likely be a long way for someone with limited mobility. That way, she'll walk into the museum, sit down for a bit on a bench, and you'll come in 15-20 minutes later having parked. You'll enjoy the museum for an hour or so (I'm going to guess she'll tire relatively quickly, not museum hop all day like us whippersnappers), then you'll go get the car, she'll walk outside and sit on a bench again, and you'll pick her up.

Is it possible to take a cab to the museum from the Metro stop?

I'm sure it is, but the Metro itself seems to drain her.

I think she feels completely rushed to get on the train, like she doesn't realize another will be along. She also tries to get up while the train is still moving so she can get off without slowing us down. That results in more stress and pain as she tries not to fall over.

Also, the amount of walking at some of the Metro stops is tiring to her as well.

We've found parking in commercial garages not too far from the Mall area. You could always drop her off then park, and do it in reverse at the end of the day. The advantage of the garage is that you don't have to worry about feeding the meter. My logic is that the garage is cheaper than a ticket.

This is what we will likely do!

I don't know if they still have it or not but years ago when we were living in MD there was a tour bus type of thing. When my parents came to visit I really wanted to take them into DC but knew my dad wouldn't be able to handle all the walking. The tour bus was perfect. it ran every few minutes and would pick people up and drop them off in front of all the museums and monuments. At the end of the day the bus dropped us at the subway which took us back the park and ride where we'd left the car.

My dad loved it and was so happy to get to see DC - something he thought he wouldn't be able to do because of all the walking.

BTW, he was fine inside the museums. it was still a lot of walking but he could take his time and sit and rest when he needed to.

Unfortunately, she won't be fine in the museums all day. She'll last maybe 2 hours. And, she'll probably have trouble with the stairs on the bus. We did do a bus tour a few years ago, and she loved it, but we stayed on the bus for most of it.

I just want to second that parking is all about timing on the mall and that having a handicapped permit opens up a lot more options. The roads along the mall even have great parking if you get there at 9:30 that make Air and Space, Natural History and the NGA more accessible.

You'll probably do best if you drop her off - maybe with one of your kids for company - and then go off and park. Even if you get joyfully close, it'll still likely be a long way for someone with limited mobility. That way, she'll walk into the museum, sit down for a bit on a bench, and you'll come in 15-20 minutes later having parked. You'll enjoy the museum for an hour or so (I'm going to guess she'll tire relatively quickly, not museum hop all day like us whippersnappers), then you'll go get the car, she'll walk outside and sit on a bench again, and you'll pick her up.

When I drop her off, I'll look for handicap parking and use it if it's available. If there is none, I'll go find a garage to park in. I'll leave the kids with here and they'll convince her to buy them an icecream and everyone will be happy!

But, and I would never say this to her, only staying in DC for an hour or two drives me crazy because of the how long it will take to us get there. We'll do it for her, though!

Thanks everyone!

My DH works in the Ronald Reagan building and when we had multiple people/cars going, this was our choice. They have complementary valet parking (keep on going through the garage -- you'll get there!). It is expensive, but worth it if you don't want to go 'round and 'round the Mall and you'll never get a ticket or get towed (like one of the cars did that trip when we went to the Capitol). If it were just y'all I would say do the round and round since it is so much cheaper...

You are a good DIL!

But, and I would never say this to her, only staying in DC for an hour or two drives me crazy because of the how long it will take to us get there. We'll do it for her, though!

I feel that way about Baltimore. Here, we do that all the time, but it's just a quick walk and a metro ride away for us. At least the museum itself will be free. And if you do park on the street, it can be really cheap, so all you'll be out is a few dollars in quarters and all your mil will be out is some ice cream money for the kids.

My mil is coming on Friday for 2.5 weeks. She always wants to be entertained and to go places. The problem is, she has mobility issues. She has MS and uses a walker (one with wheels) to get around. Even with the walker, she can only go relatively slowly and not for long.

We took her to DC last spring, but she could barely make it back to the subway after spending a couple hours at the Museum of Natural History - a place we'd normally spend the entire day at. She really wants to go back and see more, but I'm not sure she can handle the subway again. Does anyone know of a good place to park near the Mall? If I could drop her off at the front door, that would be much better for her than having to negotiate the subway.

The other places she'd love to go to are the Aquarium or Science Center in MD, but those are both outrageously expensive. I have been looking for Groupon/Living Social deals, but nothing has come up recently.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

Definitely get your hands on a wheelchair. If you buy a transfer chair at a pharmacy, it'll be lighter than a regular wheelchair, and fold up easier. We manage to get my son's regular chair in our trunk, but his is child-sized. Don't count on handicapped spaces being available. Everyone and their uncle has hang tags around here and they are horribly abused. This severely limits the spaces available for people who have disabilities.

DC and Baltimore are both very accessible once you figure out how you're getting there. I crunched the numbers and bought a membership to the Aquarium because it costed less than two visits. We've managed to use it quite a bit and we usually take a guest each time we go. Little Italy is a short walk from the Inner Harbor if you want to get dinner there :-)

Last time we went to DC, we took the metro. It wasn't too difficult with the chair, you just had to figure out where they hide the elevators.

Seriously, tell her you won't go and pay the money to only stay for two hours. Get a chair and make a day of it. You also may want to check out the Arboretum. It has it's own free parking.

[quote name=jen3kids;3913414

But' date=' and I would never say this to her, only staying in DC for an hour or two drives me crazy because of the how long it will take to us get there.

There are some lovely cafes in some of the Smithsonian buildings. Perhaps she can bring a book and hang out for a while? I'm very interested to try the Native American one.

Does she need an afternoon nap, or could she park a scooter in the shade, have a refreshment, and people/pigeon watch with one member of the party while the rest of the party tours another bldg?

She really needs to lie down and rest. Although, she is quite adept at falling asleep sitting up in a chair!

My DH works in the Ronald Reagan building and when we had multiple people/cars going, this was our choice. They have complementary valet parking (keep on going through the garage -- you'll get there!). It is expensive, but worth it if you don't want to go 'round and 'round the Mall and you'll never get a ticket or get towed (like one of the cars did that trip when we went to the Capitol). If it were just y'all I would say do the round and round since it is so much cheaper...

You are a good DIL!

$20/day isn't so bad - it's close to what we'd pay for the metro.

And thanks, she really is wonderful, just challenging at times!

Definitely get your hands on a wheelchair. If you buy a transfer chair at a pharmacy, it'll be lighter than a regular wheelchair, and fold up easier. We manage to get my son's regular chair in our trunk, but his is child-sized. Don't count on handicapped spaces being available. Everyone and their uncle has hang tags around here and they are horribly abused. This severely limits the spaces available for people who have disabilities.

DC and Baltimore are both very accessible once you figure out how you're getting there. I crunched the numbers and bought a membership to the Aquarium because it costed less than two visits. We've managed to use it quite a bit and we usually take a guest each time we go. Little Italy is a short walk from the Inner Harbor if you want to get dinner there :-)

Last time we went to DC, we took the metro. It wasn't too difficult with the chair, you just had to figure out where they hide the elevators.

Seriously, tell her you won't go and pay the money to only stay for two hours. Get a chair and make a day of it. You also may want to check out the Arboretum. It has it's own free parking.

We used to have a membership to the Aquarium, but got tired of it. It seemed we went there whenever anyone visited us and we had had enough. But, it's been quite a while since we've been there. Maybe I'll get a membership, since it would be $140 for the 5 of us to go and a family membership is only $159. My dd has been wanting to go there again. Do you happen to know if they care if the 4 kids are your own, or friends?

I know mil would love the Arboretum - it's a possibility for a day trip. My kids - maybe not so much! I could always take her on a day the older two are in school and drop off younger ds at a friend's house for the day.

And, I guess I'll bring up borrowing a wheelchair and see what reaction I get from her....it should be interesting!

I know you have to put down your kids' names on the membership, so it's for the original family plus however many guests. I just bought the family of 4 plus one guest package, but bigger packages might be more flexible. I'd call and ask.

As long as kids have someone to play with, they don't seem to mind the Arboretum. They might not be interested in more than the koi pond and the bonsai trees, but they tend to enjoy the tram ride (great for MIL BTW) and just running around like maniacs in the open space. It's also great for picnics because they have tables.