Menu

Senior Pranks?

Does the punishment fit the crime?  

1. 1. Does the punishment fit the crime?

• Superintendent is blowing this way out of proportion
    • The punishment (including the firing) fits the crime
    • Other...

Did your high school do senior pranks? Senior pranks were a rite of passage at my high school. Some were pretty minor like blocking the entrances to the school with huge hay bales (no one was inside the building)...others were crazy. One year they took apart a car and put it back together on top of the school. Another year, they ran a car up the flag pole. This year the seniors made state news. Five students were suspended, and a janitor was fired! Tell me, do you think the punishment fit the crime?

http://www.wthr.com/story/18428907/school-in-uproar-over-senior-suspensions-after-sticky-note-senior-prank

http://www.fox59.com/videogallery/69956446/News/VIDEO-|-Students-Suspended-Over-Post-It-Notes-Prank

Other.....depends on who gave them the key and permission.

The janitor by themselves would not have the authority to give them permission to trespass. The janitor had protocol to follow, when faced with having the teens on site. I doubt that she has school board permission to have students under her supervision. She should have followed up with the powers that be, to make sure it was okay. I think that her firing was just, given the little we know about the case.

A 'school board member' gave them a key. What position does this person have and were they reprimanded as well?

I have no problems with the sticky note part of the prank, the trespassing to do it...maybe yes, maybe no. Not enough details.

If this is the case though, then this same superintendent needs to make sure that everyone who is on site after hours, has the same consequences. Messing up Sr finals week has Huge repercussions for these student's GPA and college futures. The superintendent had better make sure he has treated everyone equally in this regard this year, and in the future.

If students get suspended over post-it notes, my friends and I would have done jail time over what we did to our band director's car for his 40th birthday. We stuck Oreo cookies on the windshield in the shape of 4-0, then wrapped the vehicle in an entire Sam's Club pack of plastic wrap. :svengo: Come to think of it, I'm lucky I made it to graduation...Or maybe our teachers actually possessed a sense of humor.

If students get suspended over post-it notes, my friends and I would have done jail time over what we did to our band director's car for his 40th birthday. We stuck Oreo cookies on the windshield in the shape of 4-0, then wrapped the vehicle in an entire Sam's Club pack of plastic wrap. :svengo: Come to think of it, I'm lucky I made it to graduation...Or maybe our teachers actually possessed a sense of humor.

I must possess a sense of humor because I think that's REALLY funny!

OP, the punishment was too harsh for the crime. And I'm a major rule-follower! :D

I agree, I am flabbergasted that it has gone this far. It has made national news, the local news outlets are putting post it notes all over their sets. It has made the school look ridiculous. They have suspended 57 more students over organizing a sit in--in support of the students suspended yesterday and the fired janitor.

What a knee jerk reaction.

I agree

Other.....depends on who gave them the key and permission.

The janitor by themselves would not have the authority to give them permission to trespass. The janitor had protocol to follow, when faced with having the teens on site. I doubt that she has school board permission to have students under her supervision. She should have followed up with the powers that be, to make sure it was okay. I think that her firing was just, given the little we know about the case.

A 'school board member' gave them a key. What position does this person have and were they reprimanded as well?

I have no problems with the sticky note part of the prank, the trespassing to do it...maybe yes, maybe no. Not enough details.

If this is the case though, then this same superintendent needs to make sure that everyone who is on site after hours, has the same consequences. Messing up Sr finals week has Huge repercussions for these student's GPA and college futures. The superintendent had better make sure he has treated everyone equally in this regard this year, and in the future.

I think it was a very creative prank. It didn't cause damage or endanger people in any way. The punishment does not fit the crime. The school is lucky they have seniors who've got any creativity left if they get that worked up over thousands of Post-It notes.

I think it was a very creative prank. It didn't cause damage or endanger people in any way. The punishment does not fit the crime. The school is lucky they have seniors who've got any creativity left if they get that worked up over thousands of Post-It notes.

:iagree:

My high school BFF was a grade ahead of me. She and a few other girls decided to plant flowers out near the hockey field so it looked like their graduation class # (95). They got chased by the janitorial staff and threatened with criminal charges. My friend was the class VP, and there were lots of other young women there with big leadership roles in the school. They let it slide, but I can see another group getting hit with charges, especially today. I think who they were (athletes, one girl was the valedictorian, they were leaders in the school, class officers) was part of why they let it slide.

I mean not ideal, but really, I think it was ridiculous and I bet today they'd be charged.

The kids thought they had permission--they did a really creative prank. The janitorial staff was trying to be cooperative. Someone gave them a key...

Much ado about nothing. Really, we have lost all sense of proportion and common sense.

I agree. Sounds perfectly harmless.

It is heartening to read that that kids are as concerned for the custodian as they are for themselves.