Menu

Watched the IndoctriNation documentary last night...WOW!

As a christian, I have always been against sending my children to public schools, the "being salt and light" thing doesn't fly with me. Paul was referring to firmly rooted ADULT christians, not young children. But after watching this film I am even MORE convicted of my decision. WOW. Just WOW!

It really resonated with me when one of the pastors said that if he sent his children into a muslim school, or a buddhist school that his congregation would probably boo him out of the pulpit, however sending your children to a pagan school is completely normal and no one questions it whatsoever.

The fact is, government schools are not just free of any religion, they are vehemently AGAINST christianity and the teachings we try to impart to our children. the 14,000 hours that are spent in the classroom CANNOT be undone by the one hour they spend at Sunday School and the few hours at night of Christian studies (which I'm sure most christian households do not spend hours each night doing)

My nephew is being sent to PS next year for kindergarten and I am so concerned about that. Statistically, he will NOT come out of graduation a believer. For that I am sad.

Edited by tiffanieh
Tried to add CC to title but couldn't get it to work

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a christian, I have always been against sending my children to public schools, the "being salt and light" thing doesn't fly with me. Paul was referring to firmly rooted ADULT christians, not young children. But after watching this film I am even MORE convicted of my decision. WOW. Just WOW!

It really resonated with me when one of the pastors said that if he sent his children into a muslim school, or a buddhist school that his congregation would probably boo him out of the pulpit, however sending your children to a pagan school is completely normal and no one questions it whatsoever.

The fact is, government schools are not just free of any religion, they are vehemently AGAINST christianity and the teachings we try to impart to our children. the 14,000 hours that are spent in the classroom CANNOT be undone by the one hour they spend at Sunday School and the few hours at night of Christian studies (which I'm sure most christian households do not spend hours each night doing)

My nephew is being sent to PS next year for kindergarten and I am so concerned about that. Statistically, he will NOT come out of graduation a believer. For that I am sad.

1.) Just because your pastor says something doesn't mean he is right. Secular /= pagan.

2.) The bolded is not a fact.

I understand your sentiments, however, they interviewed several bible believing, A school, top notch teachers who all of them said that their hands are absolutely tied when it comes to doing what they believe to be true, and what is required of them to teach. Sure, they are nice, and show examples of good ethics, but so do atheists, and other religions that contradict Christ's teachings.

I know there are many on this board that are couldn't agree less with this post, but as a Christian we know that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. When the Lord is left out of the system, how do we expect biblical wisdom...only worldly wisdom. This promotes humanistic ideas, contrary to what we as christians would want to teach.

:glare: I'm glad you are making the choice you are comfortable with for your family. I hope you are supportive of the freedom each parent has to make similar (or different) choices.

Not every X-tian believes as you do. And many other fabulous parents disagree altogether. I guess you are the exact demographic the "documentary" makers were shooting for. It's nice to have positive reinforcement, isn't it?

Edited by ezrabean2005

Honest question: What role does G_d have if the only way to get to him is 14,000+ hours of teaching that does not exclude Him? Wouldn't G_d be powerful and all-knowing enough to be able to reach the kids anyway?

Paul killed Christians and G_d still reached him. I don't think he went to a Christian school.

:glare: I'm glad you are making the choice you are comfortable with for your family. I hope you are supportive of the freedom each parent has to make similar (or different) choices.

Absolutely. I'm certainly glad that we live in a country where each parent gets to decide what they want for their children. I'm equally afraid that our rights as homeschoolers are vehemently being threatened.

That still doesn't take away the fact that we live in a culture that promotes humanistic ideas and you are fooling yourself if you think your child sitting in class for 14,000 hours isn't going to be influenced by that.

Again, if it's fine for you, then that's your choice. I just choice different for my family.

I understand your sentiments, however, they interviewed several bible believing, A school, top notch teachers who all of them said that their hands are absolutely tied when it comes to doing what they believe to be true, and what is required of them to teach. Sure, they are nice, and show examples of good ethics, but so do atheists, and other religions that contradict Christ's teachings.

A "documentary" pushing a certain viewpoint interviewed those who agree with the viewpoint being presented? Amazing! I am sure there was no bias involved at all.

I know there are many on this board that are couldn't agree less with this post, but as a Christian we know that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. When the Lord is left out of the system, how do we expect biblical wisdom...only worldly wisdom. This promotes humanistic ideas, contrary to what we as christians would want to teach.

I agree that you believe that.

And yes, I have watched the film. Anyone who believes it was in any way balanced or fair regarding the subject being presented lacks critical thinking skills.

:iagree:

Honest question: What role does G_d have if the only way to get to him is 14,000+ hours of teaching that does not exclude Him? Wouldn't G_d be powerful and all-knowing enough to be able to reach the kids anyway?

Paul killed Christians and G_d still reached him. I don't think he went to a Christian school.

"Give ceasar what is ceasers and give God what is Gods"....if we give our children over to secular thinking, they will more than likely come out thinking secularly.

God does reach for each of us, but he also gives us all a free will.

On what do you base this assessment of ALL public schools?

I live in a lovely midwestern state and attend church with an awful lot of teachers and administrators, and most of the others seem to go to one church or another in my town. Presumably they show Christ's love to all their student's in their actions if not in words.

I always find these proclamations about the dastardly public schools so fascinating.

If a teacher were to talk about their Christian faith in a public school setting I'm pretty sure they would be opening themselves up to a lawsuit by a parent(s) and possible dismissal.

We had all 3 of our dc in public school for a few years. Youngest ds was there for grades 1-3 and older 2 went for high school. One of their teachers was our pastors wife, school in a conservative area, and she was not allowed to say anything about her faith. However several, and I do mean several, of the other teachers spoke out against religion in general and Christianity in particular all the time like it was accepted fact. Ridicule and demeaning comments were common. It was one of the factors in us pulling youngest ds out after 3rd grade and putting him a Christian co-op and eventually Christian school. We wanted him to have a Biblical world view and not be made to feel like an ignorant freak because he believed in the Bible. It's extremely important for young children who are just starting their walk of faith to be able to talk to all of the adults in their life, or at least most of them, about their journey, especially someone they are spending 6-7 hours a day with 5 days a week.

Our older two have only in the past few years realized what had happened to them in high school. The indoctrination they received there caused many problems in our family. Wanting to fit in with their peers and not be ridiculed in front of them factored in too.

Edited by My3Boys

On what do you base this assessment of ALL public schools?

I live in a lovely midwestern state and attend church with an awful lot of teachers and administrators, and most of the others seem to go to one church or another in my town. Presumably they show Christ's love to all their student's in their actions if not in words.

I always find these proclamations about the dastardly public schools so fascinating.

:iagree:I am currently teaching in a private school, but I have taught in public schools before. The public school in my rural town has issues, but I certainly wouldn't call it pagan.

Documentaries like "Indoctrination" are often creatively edited for shock value. Is there some truth there? Most likely, but we would all do well to remember that the film maker has an agenda, a message, that he or she wants to get out. The saying, I take that with a grain of salt," is never more relevant than when watching a "true" documentary:tongue_smilie:

Not entirely true. Having worked in a public high school for 17 years before homeschooling, I can tell you what the law does and does not say.

I was able to tell the students I was a Christian and even share what I believed about that IF THEY INITIATED the questioning. I didn't give altar calls nor did I ever put down anyone else's religion or belief.

I was also able to read scripture IF it had something to do with the English passage or the History passage we were reading.

I have NEVER ever gotten in trouble for the way I told the kids I was a believer. I worked in a school of 5,400 students in one of the largest cities in the country.

Dawn

If a teacher were to talk about their Christian faith in a public school setting I'm pretty sure they would be opening themselves up to a lawsuit by a parent(s) and possible dismissal.

We had all 3 of our dc in public school for a few years. Youngest ds was there for grades 1-3 and older 2 went for high school. One of their teachers was our pastors wife, school in a conservative area, and she was not allowed to say anything about her faith. However several, and I do mean several, of the other teachers spoke out against religion in general and Christianity in particular all the time like it was accepted fact. Ridicule and demeaning comments were common. It was one of the factors in us pulling youngest ds out after 3rd grade and putting him a Christian co-op and eventually Christian school. We wanted him to have a Biblical world view and not be made to feel like an ignorant freak because he believed in the Bible. It's extremely important for young children who are just starting their walk of faith to be able to talk to all of the adults in their life, or at least most of them, about their journey, especially someone they are spending 6-7 hours a day with 5 days a week.

Our older two have only in the past few years realized what had happened to them in high school. The indoctrination they received there caused many problems in our family. Wanting to fit in with their peers and not be ridiculed in front of them factored in too.

I have not watched the film and not sure I will, although it might be interesting to watch to see exactly how sensational it gets.

Extreme fear and sensationalism sell, but they don't sell to me. I tire of alarmists and I see a lot of it from both sides.

I will say that the social climate of public schools DOES dissuade me from sending my children, but not ALL of the social climate. That is a huge broad brush.

Dawn

I have not watched the film and not sure I will, although it might be interesting to watch to see exactly how sensational it gets.

Extreme fear and sensationalism sell, but they don't sell to me. I tire of alarmists and I see a lot of it from both sides.

:iagree: I prefer facts and critical thinking.

I dont see how that is true around here. One of the reasons i do not want mine in our ps is because ut is heavily christian. I am an atheist and teach my kids about all religions. This is not something they got at school. Ds's teacher referred to god and jesus often and ds would come home wonder what she meant. It took a lot to undo what they were taught as truth, and not things i wanted them learning as true.

Did you order the film? I wonder if my local Christian book store will have it? I agree with you completely. Have you seen the film Divided? It is equally good.

:iagree: I prefer facts and critical thinking.

I really don't want to get in a fight with anyone, and I wish I knew how to edit my title to put (CC) on it. However, from your statement I would presume that you believe I am not a critical thinker. Quite the contrary, I AM critically thinking, and it just happens that I happen to have wisdom that leads me to believe that who my children spend more time with, will certainly influence who they become. I want what is poured into them to be in line with what their father and I believe. For us, you can't separate God and education, they fundamentally go together.

I agree with most of what you said. I have nieces and a nephew, though, who have done ps all the way up, though in a school that thankfully consisted of mostly Christian teachers and parents, and they have come out of the schools strong Christians. It had everything to do with parents keeping them grounded in Truth.

Your post, though true, won't go well on these boards.

I really don't want to get in a fight with anyone, and I wish I knew how to edit my title to put (CC) on it. However, from your statement I would presume that you believe I am not a critical thinker. Quite the contrary, I AM critically thinking, and it just happens that I happen to have wisdom that leads me to believe that who my children spend more time with, will certainly influence who they become. I want what is poured into them to be in line with what their father and I believe. For us, you can't separate God and education, they fundamentally go together.

The accusation of not being a critical thinker is a pretty standard fallacy to try to keep Christians quiet. Don't take it too personally. Scripture pretty much helps us plan ahead and know that that is what we will come against as Christians. Wisdom from God is foolishness to those who don't believe.

Isn't this film put out by Vision Forum?

[/re that my QUOTE]

Oy! Is it put out by VF? I thought they just offered it on their site. I haven't seen it but agree with some of the ideas shared by the OP. I am NOT a fan of VF and the legalism/unbiblical patriarchy that they espouse. I still want to watch the movie, with all of my filters firmly in place!! :001_smile:

I will say that the social climate of public schools DOES dissuade me from sending my children, but not ALL of the social climate. That is a huge broad brush.

Dawn

I agree with this entire post, but most especially with the bolded.

~coffee~

I agree with most of what you said. I have nieces and a nephew, though, who have done ps all the way up, though in a school that thankfully consisted of mostly Christian teachers and parents, and they have come out of the schools strong Christians. It had everything to do with parents keeping them grounded in Truth.

Your post, though true, won't go well on these boards.

That's what I am praying for my nephew. Statistically 88% of christian children walk away from their faith...that leaves 12% who remain. I hope he is one of the 12%

In regards to my post not going well on these boards...that's a shame if the only posts that go well are bent towards non-christian postings :( I really meant this to be a discussion by Christians, but I forgot to add CC to my title, and now I don't know how to go back and change that.

I'm sure I am in the minority. I'm okay with that. And at the end of the day we are all trying to do our very best to raise our children the best we know how (it certainly isn't easy) . I know my beliefs are not even supported by many christians, but I won't apologize for what I hold to be a very important issue, one that I think we will see the ramifications of years from now...at that point it might be too late.

Can Jesus just hurry up and come?? :)

Isn't this film put out by Vision Forum?

[/re that my QUOTE]

Oy! Is it put out by VF? I thought they just offered it on their site. I haven't seen it but agree with some of the ideas shared by the OP. I am NOT a fan of VF and the legalism/unbiblical patriarchy that they espouse. I still want to watch the movie, with all of my filters firmly in place!! :001_smile:

No, it is not put out by Vision Forum. It is put out by CLASS (Christian Liberty) and the Exodus Mandate.

When you base your statements on a clearly biased documentary, then no, you are not a critical thinker.

The bolded sentence is perfectly reasonable, and you should do whatever works best for your family. However, calling public schools "pagan" is not even remotely accurate, and assuming that other Christian cannot reasonably differ with you based on their experiences exposes your bias.

I honestly disagree with this. It's PUBLIC school. That means it must be evenly fair (as much as possible, anyway) for students of all religions, or no religion. It's not fair to push one religion in a public school. Now, some teachers leave it at that, and some do mock religion, as some teachers mock whatever they don't like. That's a personal issue, not an entire-public-school-system issue. You mentioned in the OP a quote about not sending a child to a Muslim school or the like--well, what would it be like for a Muslim child to attend PS if PS pushed Christianity? There are many Christian schools out there for that demographic. Personally, I believe it's my job to teach my children about God, and it's the school's responsibility to teach academics. I do agree with the "salt of the earth" even for children. In fact, I have the opposite problem... trying to stop dd from telling people who make different choices than us that they're wrong (she's still in that very black and white phase--trying to get her to understand that other people choose what they truly think is best and it might be different from our choices is hard).

I homeschool for many reasons, but my religion isn't one of them.

Schools differ from county to county and state to state. I've lived in areas with excellent public schools, and I've lived in areas with schools like those profiled in Indoctrination. Expelled is another documentary many have issues with (I do think the Nazi link was taking it a bit too far), but you can see its premise being played out, very publicly, with Emory University right now.

In the 80's, pastors preached very heavily against homeschooling using the salt & light analogy. I was homeschooled my Jr/Sr years of high school for academic reasons, though. Where we were living (south Florida), my high school was not a good one, but I had an excellent teacher in my gov't class. She was an atheist, and was up front about that. She also knew I was a Christian. One of the assignments we had to write for class had to do with Roe v. Wade (how's that for a hot topic?). And, despite the fact that mine definitely had anti-abortion sentiment, and was even laced with a Bible verse here and there, I still received an A, was still publicly commended by this teacher, and my essay was even entered into a state competition.

Indoctrination does make some sweeping generalizations which do not apply universally, but that doesn't make them not true at least some of the time.

In our area, it will be much easier to find teachers who are anti-home schooling than anti-Christian. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just not to the degree Indoctrination may want people to believe.

The curricula utilized is not anti-God per-se, but it is without God, and sanitized to the point that many students would have no historic understanding of why the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and Bill of Rights are written the way they are, or what the "accepted" beliefs were concerning many of our founders (let alone the settlers of Jamestown or Plymouth), and that is sad. A lot has been left out.

Now, when it comes to the utilization of peer pressure in the values presentations showcased...that's been going on for a long, long time. Younger brothers got that in GA in the 80's. That is probably much more potent at chilling Christian thought and speech from students, and much more influential in the long run.

The accusation of not being a critical thinker is a pretty standard fallacy to try to keep Christians quiet. Don't take it too personally. Scripture pretty much helps us plan ahead and know that that is what we will come against as Christians. Wisdom from God is foolishness to those who don't believe.

Guest semicountrygirl

There are truly no cut and dried asnwers that apply to all families, or even all the children within the same family. I am continually amazed that after all her years of prayer and emotion that Hannah sent her little Samuel to Eli. I don't think I could have done that. Any time you put you child's mind and heart within the influence of another you will have to help them assimilate or reject that influence. That's our job as parents, whether they are at school or church. Some people send their children to public school for fear they cannot do a good job teaching at home. Some homeschool for fear of the truth the movie stated. I believe you have to ask God where He wants your children to be, and then boldy go with that. Fear and faith cannot coexist in any situation. We, ourselves, homeschool because God led us here, and we are delighted and humbled to do so.

My3Boys: If a teacher were to talk about their Christian faith in a public school setting I'm pretty sure they would be opening themselves up to a lawsuit by a parent(s) and possible dismissal.

This is absolutely true. There is free speech for all viewpoints - except Christianity. A teacher could easily begin outright indoctrination in any other tradition or trendy new-agey thing and it would be fine; it would be considered the promotion of "diversity".

By brutal experience, I am learning the truth of this one.

For us, you can't separate God and education, they fundamentally go together.

If you cannot separate God and education, then clearly, you have to homeschool. This seems pretty blatantly obvious.

Do you actually think that public schools should be teaching based on your specific set of Christian beliefs? There are a lot of non-Christians in public schools, and a lot of Christians who may believe differently from you. Public schools are public, and need to cater to be accessible to everyone, not espousing one particular religious view.

I'm confused as to why it would be shocking that the public schools aren't engaging in religious indoctrination. I'm also confused as to what this has to do with Paganism.

When you base your statements on a clearly biased documentary, then no, you are not a critical thinker.

The bolded sentence is perfectly reasonable, and you should do whatever works best for your family. However, calling public schools "pagan" is not even remotely accurate, and assuming that other Christian cannot reasonably differ with you based on their experiences exposes your bias.

:iagree: This is what I am saying.

You do realize that some of the people disagreeing with you are Christians, right?

**raising hand**

That is simply not true. When the accusation is accurate, it is what it is.

When someone bases their beliefs on a particular subject only on one point of view, then they lack critical thinking. The documentary the OP mentions is published by an organization with the stated goal of getting all Christians to remove their children from public schools. For anyone to take what they say as fact without fully looking at the issue and reviewing numerous sources demonstrates the above quite clearly.

That is simply not true. When the accusation is accurate, it is what it is.

When someone bases their beliefs on a particular subject only on one point of view, then they lack critical thinking. The documentary the OP mentions is published by an organization with the stated goal of getting all Christians to remove their children from public schools. For anyone to take what they say as fact without fully looking at the issue and reviewing numerous sources demonstrates the above quite clearly.

Yes. Thank you.

If you cannot separate God and education, then clearly, you have to homeschool. This seems pretty blatantly obvious.

Do you actually think that public schools should be teaching based on your specific set of Christian beliefs? There are a lot of non-Christians in public schools, and a lot of Christians who may believe differently from you. Public schools are public, and need to cater to be accessible to everyone, not espousing one particular religious view.

I'm confused as to why it would be shocking that the public schools aren't engaging in religious indoctrination. I'm also confused as to what this has to do with Paganism.

Ok, I get that there are Christians in the world and that they feel their religion should be the most importnant aspect of their education but what I don't get by attacking public school is WHICH Christianity do these people want in the schools? JW? Mormonism? 7th Day Adventist? Baptist? Because it seems to me that the people screaming public schools are "pagan" are the ones who have a very, very specific set of beliefs and consider the teaching of any other beliefs heresy.

So what exactly do these people want?

Any film highlighting Doug Phillips, Gary North, Ken Ham, et al is not going to be well received by mainstream Christians in the know. I strongly reject the ideas of "Christian Reconstructionism" and those are the ideas pushed in this film.

Ok, I get that there are Christians in the world and that they feel their religion should be the most importnant aspect of their education but what I don't get by attacking public school is WHICH Christianity do these people want in the schools? JW? Mormonism? 7th Day Adventist? Baptist? Because it seems to me that the people screaming public schools are "pagan" are the ones who have a very, very specific set of beliefs and consider the teaching of any other beliefs heresy.

The purpose of the documentary wasn't to get parents to change the public schools to fit them, it was to encourage Christian parents to withdraw their children FROM the public schools. There is a big difference.

Exactly what I was trying to say, but worded so, so much better. Thanks!

I'm not sure I'm following the whole pagan/secular/ public school idea either. :confused:

Honestly, if my kids were in public school I'd rather them not teach religion. As a Christian I'm glad there's no longer prayer in schools... because whose prayers would we pray? I'd rather teach that to my children myself. And I think the idea that picking out a problem school or two (or three) and anecdotal evidence easily proves that ALL schools across the US are evil and trying to indoctrinate our children against Christianity is a bit of a stretch. I'm not saying it doesn't happen... but what about the wacky homeschool families (ie Pearls)? What kind of indoctrination is going on there??!!

I know plenty of homeschooled families where kids have completely fallen off the cliff. Does that mean that ALL homeschooling is bad or that all homeschool parents are religious nuts? I think not.

I'm not under the guise that MY religion, or any religion for that matter, should be taught in public school. I simply don't think christian children belong in the PS system. You don't have to agree with MY OPINION. That's okay. We are all entitled to our own opinions.