Menu

Why is my toilet broken, you ask? Because dh is a plumber, of course!

:banghead: I'm about to strap on a tool-belt and just do something my cotton-pickin' self! We have a freaky toilet; the little chain that moves the flap that regulates the water has been falling off or getting tangled for years. I could always reset it when it went awry, though it was annoying anyway. Well now, dh is away and resetting it isn't fixing the problem. The arm that stops the water flow won't move correctly! I can bring it down to just running a trickle, but I can't stop it from endlessly running and it's DRIVING me BONKERS! :willy_nilly:

If he wasn't coming home tomorrow, I would be seriously considering doing a weekend trip somewhere and call it educational, just to get away from that grating noise. :auto:

Turn off the water at the base. Turn it on to fill it when you flush. Annoying to have to do that but it saves your water bill and your sanity.

Yes! Thank you. That will be smart.

The cobbler's kids have no shoes. ;)

:iagree: Last fall I asked my dh for better lighting for our schoolroom as my anniversary gift. I still have the same ol' lousy fluorescent.

Oh, did I mention he does lighting for a living? :tongue_smilie:

Edited by kalliemorgan

Probably my highlight of last month was getting a new toilet!! :D:D:D

We tried numerous times fixing the old one but wow, no more incessant water running, clogging, etc etc... I swear angels are singing in our bathroom now!:lol:

And on top of all that, we saved about a fourth of its cost on our water bill in a month!:hurray:

Probably my highlight of last month was getting a new toilet!! :D:D:D

We tried numerous times fixing the old one but wow, no more incessant water running, clogging, etc etc... I swear angels are singing in our bathroom now!:lol:

We just had to replace both toliets too. Thank goodness. The toliet would make a high pitched noise every time you would flush it. Finally stopped being able to flush at all. Of course dh was out of town. Dh isn't a plumber, but thinks he can do it all;)

I have replaced the flushers in two toilets, these were new 4 years ago, but the cogs wear down on the flushing mechanism...it is only $7 for a completely new part..you just have to drain the toilet..sponge out the excess water, take out the old flusher and install the new one, took me an hour the first one and when our second toilet began to run endlessly it took me less than 15 minutes..oila! Cheap fix and they work great!

:lol: You all are cracking me up with your "cobbler's children" stories! It is so true!

Are you sure it's not the flapper mis-seating? That's always been the case with a running toilet for me. (which is then followed by random, ghostly flushing, if I ignore it long enough)

Sometimes, that does happen, but mostly the little chain that runs from the flapper to the arm do-hicky gets twisted, so it doesn't seat at all, or it falls off and doesn't seat at all. But this is some new problem. The flapper is seated correctly, but the automatic shut-off is not obeying for whatever reason, so the tank keeps filling into the over-run "black hole" thingy.

I have replaced the flushers in two toilets, these were new 4 years ago, but the cogs wear down on the flushing mechanism...it is only $7 for a completely new part..you just have to drain the toilet..sponge out the excess water, take out the old flusher and install the new one, took me an hour the first one and when our second toilet began to run endlessly it took me less than 15 minutes..oila! Cheap fix and they work great!

Hey! Lady with tool belt. I love it! :D It's so great when you learn how to do something, instead of having to wait for someone else to get with the program. :lurk5:

Ha! My DH is a general contractor, the list of things at my house is loooong.

The most recent. The lock on our sliding patio door wasn't working. FIL (who was also a general contractor) was here visiting so DH asked him to take the handle off and fix the lock. He took the handle off, decided it wasn't fixable, then didn't even put the handle back on :confused:. So now I have a patio door that doesn't lock and it doesn't even have a handle. I will go ahead and put the handle back on myself and put a stick in the door for a lock.:glare:

Call a plumber to come fix it. When dh gets upset, remind him how long it needed to be done. He'll probably get around to it faster next time.:D

I don't know that I'd actually do that, but I'd be sorely tempted!!

Call a plumber to come fix it. When dh gets upset, remind him how long it needed to be done. He'll probably get around to it faster next time.:D

I don't know that I'd actually do that, but I'd be sorely tempted!!

:iagree: I have actually done that before, and continue to. My dh is a huge procrastinator when it comes to upkeep (he HATES to do it). So - if I can't do it, I pay a general contractor to come and fix whatever it may be. I save $ by using coupons, selling stuff at garage sales, on craigslist, shoveling snow in the winter, and then I stash it away for a "rainy day." It doesn't bother my conscience keeping it from my husband as long as I spend it on family needs, like the leaking sink he can't seem to get to, the bank account that is suddenly overdrawn, or the swim lessons for the kids that was accidentally not budgeted for. No massages on the sly for me! Hubby's happy because suddenly something is fixed, he didn't have to do it, and it didn't come out of his pocket (at least directly!) and I'm happy because I can maintain what needs to be maintained.

My left turn signal bulb has been burned out for months... my dh is a... you guessed it... mechanic! I am like - seriously - what do I need to do to get a new bulb put in!

here you might get an unroadworthy certificate. That will usually prompt the most reluctant DH into action.

I live in a owner builder house, build by my DH, the list of not finished things is very, very long.

My left turn signal bulb has been burned out for months... my dh is a... you guessed it... mechanic! I am like - seriously - what do I need to do to get a new bulb put in!

Go to the auto parts store and look helpless. They've put my bulbs in for me before. :D