Menu

home owner's insurance canceled!!!

I just got a letter that they are not renewing our insurance, as of August. We have an "unacceptable play structure" (old swingset/fort made of wood that needs some repair) and exterior wall cracks. I have no idea what cracks, but I do know the home was inspected only a few years ago, before we bought it, and was fine. I know some cracks in stucco are normal.

Any thoughts? Is it going to cost and arm and a leg to find insurance now?

I would want to know more. I would want to know if you could do certain repairs/changes in order to keep the insurance. Is the home owner's insurance with the same provider as your auto insurance? Do you have an insurance broker? Our insurance broker is so good at looking for good policies that meet our financial and coverage needs.

Grrr.

The insurance agents will drive by your house and look to see if you ahve a trampoline (drop) pitbull (drop) unsafe structures (drop).

See if they will reinstate you if you take it down.

I freakin HATE that, they should at *least* be required to contact for for rectification before dropping you.

I just got a letter that they are not renewing our insurance, as of August. We have an "unacceptable play structure" (old swingset/fort made of wood that needs some repair) and exterior wall cracks. I have no idea what cracks, but I do know the home was inspected only a few years ago, before we bought it, and was fine. I know some cracks in stucco are normal.

Any thoughts? Is it going to cost and arm and a leg to find insurance now?

REmove the structure, tuckpoint the cracks (unless they are major??) and then tell the insurance that these problems no longer exist and to feel free to check. Be nice but persistent.

Simultaneously, get quotes from others right now, in case you need to change, and if you get a lower price, try to get your company to meet it or move to the lower priced insurance.

Grrr.

The insurance agents will drive by your house and look to see if you have a trampoline (drop) pit bull (drop) unsafe structures (drop).

See if they will reinstate you if you take it down.

I freakin HATE that, they should at *least* be required to contact for for rectification before dropping you.

??? :confused: Aren't those clauses in the policy to beging with as reasons for dismissal? Or are you saying they are not mentioned in the policy at all? When the policy is signed, the holder is agreeing to the terms. If the holder buys a trampoline and they get dropped for it....why should the agency have to try to get the homeowner into compliance?

I guess it is just my own experience that certain things were discussed between our agent and us as future no-nos (or at least talk to the agent first about a rider) like aggressive dog breeds, trampolines, and pools etc.

??? :confused: Aren't those clauses in the policy to beging with as reasons for dismissal? Or are you saying they are not mentioned in the policy at all? When the policy is signed, the holder is agreeing to the terms. If the holder buys a trampoline and they get dropped for it....why should the agency have to try to get the homeowner into compliance?

I guess it is just my own experience that certain things were discussed between our agent and us as future no-nos (or at least talk to the agent first about a rider) like aggressive dog breeds, trampolines, and pools etc.

We've never been dropped but I've never had this type of discussion with any of our insurance agents. I will admit I could be better about reading our policies.

For the unsafe structure (swingset/fort), it would have started as safe, and gradually deteriorated. How do you pinpoint when exactly it became unsafe?

For the cracks in the wall, the same as above applies. Starts with no cracks; cracks gradually develop.

For both, I see no reason not to contact the agency and ask for details, or let them know the problems have been rectified, and request a new evaluation & reinstatement/non-cancellation of the policy. Neither of these are things that the homeowner just plunked down onto their property.

For the unsafe structure (swingset/fort), it would have started as safe, and gradually deteriorated. How do you pinpoint when exactly it became unsafe?

For the cracks in the wall, the same as above applies. Starts with no cracks; cracks gradually develop.

For both, I see no reason not to contact the agency and ask for details, or let them know the problems have been rectified, and request a new evaluation & reinstatement/non-cancellation of the policy. Neither of these are things that the homeowner just plunked down onto their property.

FOr those two examples, Absolutely contact the agent for clarification so you know exactly what to fix. Agents are there, not only to sell you insurance, but to help you with the policy you did buy. I am sure you agent will be happy to help you.

I get that things gradually develop, I really do. I was referring more to the 'pit bull' and 'trampoline' part of the post. Where people bring items home that are common home insurance issues, and then get upset when they get dropped.

If you look at your play structure, is it visibly unsafe? Sure there is a point of deterioration of a wood structure that says it is unstable or safe....but there is sometimes just a new board from a safety-rail that needs to be fixed or slide taken off that is broken.

As homeowners though, we are responsible to keep up on maintenance as our part of the policy. Sure, cracks develop. Sure, wood degrades. As homeowners we just need to be a little extra diligent, to step back and look at our home with fresh eyes, to keep things in good repair to avoid issues like getting our policy dropped.

One of our neighbors has so much moss on his roof that dh has warned him about the possible insurance nightmare if he gets a leak (it may not be covered if it is the moss causing a leak) but he doesn't do anything about it. It will likely take a letter from his insurance co, to get him moving on it. I think this is true of a lot of people. It isn't until they get that fateful letter that they do the repairs

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Our insurance company threatened to drop us because of a trampoline. We had no idea it wasn't allowed. We were moving and they asked lots of questions, one of which was about a trampoline. We didn't try to hide it because we had no idea. The agent told us that normally it was cause for cancellation, but that he would give us 48 hrs. to get rid of it. I used freecycle and someone picked it up the next day. The kids were disappointed but we didn't feel we had a choice.

I don't see why you can't talk to the agent and find out if you can have a chance to take care of the problems. It certainly can't hurt to ask!

I don't know anything about getting new insurance but I would assume any insurance company may have problems with those things so you still need to take care of them before contacting potential companies.

First of all...agents DO NOT drive by people's houses looking for issues. That statement is absolutely not true. I'm an insurance agent and I would never do that nor would my (country wide) employer allow me to do that. I don't know why people don't understand that broken wooden play structures or trampolines are a liability. That is why we don't insure people who have them. If our customer has them, they need to take it down and write a letter, signed by a notary that it is removed and will not be put up again. We do not want to pay out millions of dollars (yes this is a sue happy country) to someone whose child has fallen and hurt themselves. Also, in regards to the cracks....if they are not maintained they are going to cause problems and repairs....if they aren't properly maintained (and it sounds like they weren't) then there are going to be problems. Insurance companies aren't the bad guys...but they do try to cover their backs.

First of all...agents DO NOT drive by people's houses looking for issues. That statement is absolutely not true.

How did the OP's company know about the play structure then? Something seems fishy, unless the OP did like me and told them without realizing there was a problem. I get the liability risk but I don't believe trampolines should constitute automatic cancellation. What about a brand new swingset? What if a kid fell off of it? Isn't that the same as falling off a trampoline? Do insurance companies not insure anyone with play structures?

Honestly, having a trampoline didn't make me think of my insurance. They are sold in so many stores that they seem commonplace like bikes, swingsets and kiddie pools. I never thought to contact my insurance company about any of those things either.

As a part owner of my insurance company, I would be happy if my insurance company did drive by;s or some otherwise checked that people were complying with the insurance rules. Why? Because I don't want to pay for other's risky behavior or negligent behavior. I am not talking about the OP since I can certainly understand how one can not notice when a new crack appears or not know that a playground structure is in such a condition that it is considered a liability. So I do think insurance companies should warn first and then only do a cancellation if not complying. WIth regards to dangerous dogs which can be concealed, I would want them to check and make sure the dog was actually removed by checking dog registrations or making sure the person had a receipt from animal control or a rescue group or something like that.

In regards to trampolines, they are much more dangerous than regular playground equipment. Google trampoline injuries and deaths. THe very dangerous thing about trampolines is no one needs to be doing anything wrong for injury to occur. Many people break bones just by jumping up and down like they should be doing. Once I learned of the danger, I never let my kids go on them again at anyone's house.

To the OP, I agree with other posters that you should remedy the situation and try to get your insurance reinstated while looking for new insurance at the same time.

In regards to trampolines, they are much more dangerous than regular playground equipment. Google trampoline injuries and deaths.

Yes I know, but large playground equipment also have risks. They are likely going by statistics I suppose but I still think it's wrong. We took all safety precautions on our trampoline and frequently checked to make sure it was in good shape.

Pools are also dangerous. Do some insurance companies not insure homes with pools?

First of all...agents DO NOT drive by people's houses looking for issues. That statement is absolutely not true.

If not the agents, then investigators from the ins company, because too many people I know get their homeowners canceled when they get a pitbull puppy, or something new went up in their yard. Or a pool slide, or anything. And these things are *new*, it happened two times in the last year with neighbors. The only conclusion is that either agents or insurance investigators are driving by, looking for reasons to clip people.

It's devious on the part of the companies. They should be required by law to send a letter of intent to cancel if not remedied and either give a grace period or time for the holder to rectify with proof.

The only conclusion is that either agents or insurance investigators are driving by, looking for reasons to clip people.

It's devious on the part of the companies. They should be required by law to send a letter of intent to cancel if not remedied and either give a grace period or time for the holder to rectify with proof.

:iagree: -- In our case, we did receive a "warning letter" requesting some pictures after the situation was taken care of. We did the requested "clean up" and sent the pictures...we were not cancelled.

First of all...agents DO NOT drive by people's houses looking for issues.

My sisters and my friends did - they were canceled and threatened with cancellation because the agent said they needed to paint in one case and needed to re-roof in another. The roof does not leak and they cannot afford to re-roof the house. The painting one just changed insurance companies and it turned out to be cheaper anyway.

I sitll highly doubt that the agents are actually driving by. I just can't believe it. The ones who might be driving by are the inspectors. our company does this every so often. Why shouldn't they be able to? Why shouldn't they be able to make sure that the structures their company is insuring is safe? they're doing it for both the benefit of the company and the homeowner. if you don't have anything to hide, why worry? I mean, if your roof is falling apart, and you don't want to fix it, why should the insurance company pay for it? Insurance companies, like everyone else, have rules, and we all know that rules need to be followed. If you want a play structure in your backyard and your insurance company doesn't allow it, you have every right to find another company...just like the insurance company has every right to cancel a customer if they don't follow the rules! To the OP, i would suggest calling your agent, they will help you figure it out and i hope that everything works out well for you.

I sitll highly doubt that the agents are actually driving by. I just can't believe it. The ones who might be driving by are the inspectors. our company does this every so often. Why shouldn't they be able to? Why shouldn't they be able to make sure that the structures their company is insuring is safe? they're doing it for both the benefit of the company and the homeowner. if you don't have anything to hide, why worry? I mean, if your roof is falling apart, and you don't want to fix it, why should the insurance company pay for it? Insurance companies, like everyone else, have rules, and we all know that rules need to be followed. If you want a play structure in your backyard and your insurance company doesn't allow it, you have every right to find another company...just like the insurance company has every right to cancel a customer if they don't follow the rules! To the OP, i would suggest calling your agent, they will help you figure it out and i hope that everything works out well for you.

They actually pay people to drive around and look for things. Now, some are using things like Google Earth. The pay about ten years ago was good for doing this.

In our case, we were new home owners and it had NOTHING to do with the structure, or a playground, or a trampoline, or a 4-wheeler... The agent/inspector came by, parked in our driveway and walked around the back of our house while we were not home. He saw a pile of junk in the backyard. (junk we had hauled from every corner of the property into a central pile to be hauled to the dump)

We received a letter saying it was a hazard and had to be removed by a specified date or they would cancel our insurance.

Edited by curlylocks

REmove the structure, tuckpoint the cracks (unless they are major??) and then tell the insurance that these problems no longer exist and to feel free to check. Be nice but persistent.

Simultaneously, get quotes from others right now, in case you need to change, and if you get a lower price, try to get your company to meet it or move to the lower priced insurance.

:iagree:

I think you may be taking exception to the idea that the agents themselves are actually doing the drive-by inspecting. I think people are using that term to mean anyone working for the insurance company. No one is saying insurance companies shouldn't check out insured houses. The posters are saying they know *someone* is driving by and your post made it sound like insurance companies don't do that when what you meant to say is that agents themselves do not do this. In other words, I think there is some misunderstanding of meanings due to semantics.