Menu

Anyone one know of any....

natural remedies to help a 17 year old who has very heavy periods and who gets very sick feeling when she has her period? If she figures the timing out right....she will have her period at every horse show this season. She is not a happy girl right now and i want to help her any way that i can....if anyone knows of anything please let me know...she also has tacycardia so it can't be something that makes the heart beat faster. TY

Caffine helps DD18. You could have her try a nice caffinated tea starting a day or so before her period. For the "feeling sick" part, DD18 avoids large meals and nibbles on small snacks most of the day. She says that feeling either hungry or full makes the sick-part worse.

Ugh. This brings back horrible memories for me. I missed a lot of school, as I would throw up for hours on the first day of my period due to the pain. It was awful.

Two words: BIRTH CONTROL!!!

I didn't try it until I was 18 and I wish I would have taken it sooner. It didn't cure my pain for good, but it helped a lot.

Also, taking an asprin everyday for about 5 days before I start really helps.

See if her doctor can prescribe a high dose of pain meds for her.

I'm so sorry for your daughter. :(

Birth control pills. We waited until my dd was 19 and starting college (from which she cannot just check out of life for a week or two a month). It has made a tremendous difference in life for her. She simply doesn't have them to deal with anymore at. all. (They were that bad.)

This won't be a good long-term solution, but for when it gets really bad, rub her feet for her. Get out the lotion and everything. I found this out completely by accident when I was on my third can't-eat-anything pregnancy. When dh rubs my feet, he hits some pressure points somewhere that take my nausea away. Unfortunately, when I get up and walk it tends to come back, but even temporary relief from the icks is a good thing.

I take the maximum dosage of ibuprofen starting the day my period begins and then through day 3 to reduce the flow. It definitely helps.

I'm now on Amethyst birth control (generic for Lybrel), which is a continuous use pill. I don't have any cycle at all now. The first month, I got hit with the worst PMS mood swings I've had in years, but the last two months have been much better.

I think if she takes a regular dose of ibuprofen (as in every 6 hours) the day before her period is expected to start and then for the first couple of days, it can really help reduce the cramping.

The ibuprofen solution really helps with my flow. My period seems to last longer, but at least the flow is manageable.

This didn't work for me. I just bled right through them.

So will I if I don't change them often enough. (They say you can leave one on for a whole day, maybe they mean the last day only? ) But I only bleed for 5 instead of 7 days as I used to. That's a good thing!

Rosie

I think if she takes a regular dose of ibuprofen (as in every 6 hours) the day before her period is expected to start and then for the first couple of days, it can really help reduce the cramping.
The ibuprofen solution really helps with my flow. My period seems to last longer, but at least the flow is manageable.

:iagree:

And Alleve (naproxen) is even more effective. Before it was available OTC, it was available by prescription as Anaprox. I used to have super-heavy periods, with severe cramping, cold sweats, nausea, and other fun stuff. I discovered Anaprox when I was in grad school, and it literally changed my life. I'd start taking it the day before my period was expected, and continue taking it for the first 3 days or so. It did make it last a little longer, but it was much lighter — and much less painful. No more nausea, cold sweats, or passing out in class, either. The key, though, is to start taking it the day before, rather than waiting until the cramps start.

Ibuprofen & Alleve are prostaglandin-inhibitors, which makes them doubly effective for menstrual pain because they actually reduce the uterine contractions that cause the cramps, as well as relieving the pain. For really severe cramps, you can also take Tylenol in addition to either Alleve or Ibuprofen, because Tylenol works in a completely different way from NSAIDs. (But you can't take both Alleve and Ibuprofen at the same time, because they're both NSAIDs).

Jackie

Some people have mentioned having lighter periods when they use cloth pads. I don't know if that is common, but it's true for me.

Rosie

Yes lighter, and way LESS cramps - as in barely there, if at all. If I happen to have a weird cycle where I start earlier than expected and am not near my cloth and I have to use the store bought junk I am reminded how awful my . used to be.

I don't even know how it is that just pads can cause this, but I have experienced it a couple of times now to know that it was not just a one-off thing.

Cloth pads and Diva cup. I recommend it to all the girls. I seriously sent out a mass email to all of my friends when I discovered the Diva cup and cloth.