Menu

PA Evaluator and Socialization requirement

I'm in Pennsylvania, and I've been looking for an evaluator for my daughter for the end of this school year. I've exchanged email with several potential evaluators who listed 'evidence of socialization outside the home' as a requirement to be presented along with the portfolio for evaluation. While Pennsylvania does have rather strict homeschooling requirements, the need to document outside socialization is not one of them.

I didn't get replies from most of the potential evaluators when I questioned this requirement, but I did get a response from this education professor at a local college that I wanted to share with you, in case you ever wondered if this kind of thing still existed. It does.

Hi Judith,

You are correct that socialization is not a requirement under the law. I recommend including something that shows that the student has contact with others outside the home. Since the incident of a Pennsylvania family abusing their homeschooled children and the children were never permitted to leave the home, as an evaluator I like to have documentation in the portfolio that the student does get outside the home. Also, this is the area about which superintendents are most critical regarding homeschooling (lack of socialization), and I believe that showing examples of positive socialization strengthens the image of homeschooling.

All that to say, I won’t be formally evaluating socialization; I’m just asking for some kind of documentation (whatever you choose) to be included. In the narrative that I write up in the evaluation, I make a point of mentioning the student’s activity outside the home. Because of this I have developed a good reputation with area school districts because they trust that the students that I evaluate are safe and receiving an appropriate education.

Thank you for asking about this so that I could clarify.

Have a good rest of the school year!

I won't identify the evaluator or the college, unless you PM me. Here is my response:

I understand that you are well-intentioned. However, you should know that the existing literature does not support the conjecture that home educated children are at any greater risk for abuse or neglect. One case in the past that you personally may have been aware of in which homeschooling children were abused and not allowed to leave home does not a trend create, and does not justify either your present requirement or increased scrutiny of all home educating families. You are perpetuating a stereotype that the literature of the last decade or so has solidly discounted. Do you teach at the college? If you do, would you allow your students to express an opinion like that without good supporting evidence? I'm sure you remember that 'good supporting evidence' is never anecdotal!

The Pennsylvania Department of Education doesn't consider home educated children at greater risk for abuse and neglect. Neither does the Children and Youth Services department of Crawford County. In fact, CYS of Crawford County, an agency specifically tasked with the protection of children, does not consider the monitoring of home educating families to be a matter of concern. Several current and former CYS workers in Crawford County home educate their own children. In fact, we're one of them.

That the professionals with the appropriate credentials to investigate and validate abuse and neglect cases do not consider home educating families to be of special concern is something you should remember. You may be a mandated reporter as well as an evaluator, but there is nothing within that mandate that calls for you to conduct any kind of investigation to rule out abuse . It simply means that if you have reason to suspect abuse you have a legal obligation to report it. Just because a family chooses to home educate is not cause under the law to suspect abuse. In actuality, you simply can't provide any kind of legal 'reassurance of safety' to the school district that you imagine you can, and if that is your intention you need to be aware that you are misrepresenting yourself. Your preoccupation with the potential for abuse is creating an unlawful requirement for the home educating families that you wish to serve and may even put you in an awkward legal position someday if those school districts do indeed take your word that the children you evaluate are 'safe' from abuse or neglect. Requiring evidence of social activity outside the home is not a legitimate form of screening for child abuse. I strongly suggest you stick with the law as written.

Finally, school superintendents who criticize homeschooling on the grounds that home educated students are lacking in socialization deserve to be made aware of the research that shows that those concerns are not valid, if only because it does neither the school district nor the home educating family any favors to have this misconception perpetuated. This is a separate issue from your personal bias regarding the potential for abuse among home educating families, but yet another area in which ample evidence is available for you to review and share with those who may be concerned. However, please remember that the misconceptions of school superintendents do not require evaluators or home educating families to provide evidence beyond the scope of the law.

I appreciate that you are willing to share your rationale and concerns with me. As home education becomes more mainstream you will likely encounter more families like my own who are well-informed and less likely to submit to unreasonable or unlawful requests. I get the impression that this is not the norm for you! Hopefully, if you truly enjoy serving home educating families you will consider examining the evidence with objectivity and reconsider your role in promoting outworn stereotypes. I do suppose, however, that it would be best for both you and I if I continued my search for an evaluator for my daughter.

Best wishes,

It wasn't my intention to be snarky (although I WAS tempted very strongly) but I really have a hard time believing that this kind of thing still happens myself, especially when the evaluator in question has a doctorate and teaches in the Education department of a well-regarded college. I'm just amazed. And I wanted to share, so that other people might be aware that this kind of thinking exists.

Wonder if she'll report me for potential child abuse?

I think your response was very well stated. I am sure she is going to be shocked to have you respond as such.

I would not for a second have believed the homeschool socialization stereotype did not exist. I personally think most of the population not directly involved has this issue cross their mind whenever they hear about homeschooling. I know my parents did :glare:

We just moved from PA a year ago. I had my ds evaluated 4 times there and I never documented any items for socialization. I know my school district was homeschool friendly if that made a difference. We only listed outside activities when they went under other headings such as PE and music.

Guest tpineo

If you are still looking for an evaluator, I would recommend Rhonda Paglia in Hermitage. She was a Gifted Teacher for many years and now is "retired" and just does evaluations. She is very supportive of homeschooling and spends a good deal of time preparing a detailed evaluation. Her e-mail is trpags@roadrunner.com.

And, I loved your reply to the other evaluator!

Tania

:001_wub: That was great. I've never heard anyone speak of an evaluator "requiring proof of socialization" before, but I just love your response! I hope it gives her some serious food for thought!

Have you checked the list of evaluators on Pauline's website to see if there are any in your area?

http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/hs/homeschoolevallist.html

Also, do you belong to the PA Home Educators Yahoo Group? It's a great email list, they're really helpful about answering questions pretty quickly and helping one another out, so if you don't find anything on Pauline's site, you could always post to that list and ask if anyone can recommend someone in your area:

PA-HomeEducators@yahoogroups.com

Good luck!

I really have a hard time believing that this kind of thing still happens myself, especially when the evaluator in question has a doctorate and teaches in the Education department of a well-regarded college.

It doesn't surprise me at all. Most of the educators I know honestly believe that they are one of the few thin protections that exist between their students and abuse. The only one I know who has never said something like this to me is one who seriously considered home educating her own children.

It's one of the reasons that schools and I clash (and keep in mind I have a junior in a public school): school personnel believing that they have a right to interfere in family life. Sounds like your potential evaluator is one of this sort.

Tara