Menu

How long are your jeans supposed to be?

Which inseam would be the appropriate length for me?  

1. 1. Which inseam would be the appropriate length for me?

• Regulars - 31"
    • Talls - 33"

I am buying new jeans and I am trying to decide between the tall and the regular. The regular breaks at my foot and has about 1/2" from the hem to the floor in the back. But when I sit down the pull up quite a bit in the front, 2-3" above my ankle. I never wear high heels. I wear ankle boots, Uggs style boots, walking shoes and sandles. They look fine with the sandle or Ugg style boots (they stay tucked in) but I am not sure about the walking shoes or ankle boots. They would probably pull to the top of the ankle boots and socks would show with walking shoes. Would that look ok? Or do they need to be longer? The talls are way too long when I am standing (I can stand on the hems) and still a little long when I am sitting. The regulars are 31" and the talls are 33". Obviously I need 32" but I really don't want to buy the longers and have them hemmed. Which would you buy?

I have the same problem so I go for longs. I do walk on my hems and I'm not sure if that is okay or not but I do it anyway. I'm self-conscious about 'high waters', even when I sit down. :tongue_smilie: But the bottom of my jeans look very ragged indeed. I've noticed my dd19's jeans, well not the skinny jeans, look the same way.

Not exactly what your asking, but the last time I bought jeans, I went from buying regulars to buying petites because the regulars were WAY too long. I'm 5'3", but my height is in my legs, so the petites were always too high for me and I bought regular to compensate. I haven't gotten shorter, but jeans seem to have definitely gotten longer.

I need a 32.5 but they dont sell that so I go with a 33. I am only 5' 7".5 but apparently my legs are long which is weird because I really dont look like it. I had a friend with a 34 in seam and she was barely 5 7 0_o and to make them look even longer she was under weight. I have never seen a girl with such long legs!

Neither the top of your ankle boot nor your socks should be showing when you are standing up. You said they feel too short when you sit down. Buy the tall ones and have them hemmed.

No they only show when sitting and I really don't want to have a bunch of jeans hemmed. I was just wondering if it is ok that I have my socks and boot tops showing when I am sitting.

I have the same problem so I go for longs. I do walk on my hems and I'm not sure if that is okay or not but I do it anyway. I'm self-conscious about 'high waters', even when I sit down. :tongue_smilie: But the bottom of my jeans look very ragged indeed. I've noticed my dd19's jeans, well not the skinny jeans, look the same way.

Yeah, the long ones are so long I would be walking on the hems and once again don't want to hem.

I need a 32.5 but they dont sell that so I go with a 33. I am only 5' 7".5 but apparently my legs are long which is weird because I really dont look like it. I had a friend with a 34 in seam and she was barely 5 7 0_o and to make them look even longer she was under weight. I have never seen a girl with such long legs!

Yeah I need a 32" apparently but they only come in 31" and 33".

I just compared mine, sitting and standing. They don't change much at all--maybe 3/4" difference at the heel. This pair is fairly loose in the leg, so I wonder if that makes a difference. I have noticed in the past that when I wear pants/jeans with tighter legs that they tend to ride up more when I sit. Could that make a difference for you?

No they only show when sitting and I really don't want to have a bunch of jeans hemmed. I was just wondering if it is ok that I have my socks and boot tops showing when I am sitting.

Simple answer: yes, you are fine. It sounds like your jeans hit in a perfect spot while standing. Sitting is completely different and nothing to worry about. You're fine there. :)

Simple answer: yes, you are fine. It sounds like your jeans hit in a perfect spot while standing. Sitting is completely different and nothing to worry about. You're fine there. :)

:iagree: And my fashion rebellious self says to do what you're comfortable with and that seems to be the shorter ones from your posts.:) I have the same problem only with petites/regulars.:)

I would vote for the longer ones.........so that when you get in the saddle your pants are long enough over your boots :-)

I have SHORT legs. I am 5'5" but I can often wear petite jeans. I buy medium talls or even talls though for my riding jeans so that they are long enough when I am out riding.

I tend to like the look of jeans just a tad too long than a tad too short.

Not exactly what your asking, but the last time I bought jeans, I went from buying regulars to buying petites because the regulars were WAY too long. I'm 5'3", but my height is in my legs, so the petites were always too high for me and I bought regular to compensate. I haven't gotten shorter, but jeans seem to have definitely gotten longer.

Speaking as a tall person who can never find jeans long enough, no they haven't gotten longer. In fact, the talls that I buy are more like regular! :glare: Hmmm, maybe I need to find out what brand you're buying and switch! :lol:

OP- go w/ your comfort zone. I can't stand my socks showing when sitting, and just roll up the jeans at home when going barefoot. Unfortunately for me, even the tall ones show socks.

I just compared mine, sitting and standing. They don't change much at all--maybe 3/4" difference at the heel. This pair is fairly loose in the leg, so I wonder if that makes a difference. I have noticed in the past that when I wear pants/jeans with tighter legs that they tend to ride up more when I sit. Could that make a difference for you?

Yes, these are slim fit jeans.

Hem your own. It's easy and you can keep the factory sewn hem at the bottom -- http://www.daciaray.com/?p=38.

According to this, jeans should hit right below your ankle when standing and the regular are just a tad bit longer than that. They just pull up quite a bit when sitting probably because they are slim fit jeans. I think I will just go with the regulars and wear socks that match the color of my shoes so it is not as obvious when sitting.