Menu

Friend has cancer, need to make no-carb meals for her and her family ....

Can you direct me to some links where I could find a great selection of no-carb recipes? I don't need individual recipes (although if you had thought about posting any, thank you anyway!), but links instead because I'm going to be organizing the meals after my friend's surgery, and I want to include a handful of links in the email I'll send out for others to peruse for recipes. Their family eats very, very low carb (no potatoes, no pasta, no rice, no bread, no legumes, etc.) because of the father's diabetes and his attempts to bring it under control through diet.

Can you help me?

Can you direct me to some links where I could find a great selection of no-carb recipes? I don't need individual recipes (although if you had thought about posting any, thank you anyway!), but links instead because I'm going to be organizing the meals after my friend's surgery, and I want to include a handful of links in the email I'll send out for others to peruse for recipes. Their family eats very, very low carb (no potatoes, no pasta, no rice, no bread, no legumes, etc.) because of the father's diabetes and his attempts to bring it under control through diet.

Can you help me?

Do they eat vegetables? Search paleo recipes and you should be in business. Paleo covers all your no(s/es? How does one pluralize no?), but it does use a lot of veggies.

My very favorite LC recipe site is LindaSue's :

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

:iagree: This would be the site I would choose. Obviously they may not want to use Splenda (we don't), so take that into consideration when choosing recipes. Most won't rely on it but some will. Lots of comfort food kinds of recipes too. Anything she rates 4-5 stars is really good IME. Even the 3 star recipes are pretty good.

My very favorite LC recipe site is LindaSue's :

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

Deb, do you eat paleo-style? I have been reading about it this morning, and am interested -- but how does it jive with Orthodox fasting? In addition to that, my two concerns are these: We love our fresh, raw goat milk from our dairy goats. I think there are true health benefits to consuming raw milk and raw milk products (obviously we give that up during the Lenten fasts). Also, I soak our flour when making bread ala Nourishing Traditions (which is somewhat paleo, it seems, although it advocates raw dairy and soaked grains). Soaking the grains is supposed to take care of the gluten issues, from what I read. These two things -- in addition to our Lenten fasts that prohibit meat and eggs -- make it hard for me at this point to consider "going paleo" although I appreciate the health benefits I'm reading about. Any thoughts would be appreciated. You can PM me if you want. (And anyone else is welcome to reply, too.)

Soaking the grains is supposed to take care of the gluten issues, from what I read.

Soaking grains reduces the phytic acid content. It does not make the grains "gluten-free," although it may make them more digestible. While some paleo diet advocates might say cheating with potatoes or rice once a month is okay, they all seem to say stay away from gluten, no matter what form or how little, forever.

Soaking grains reduces the phytic acid content. It does not make the grains "gluten-free," although it may make them more digestible. While some paleo diet advocates might say cheating with potatoes or rice once a month is okay, they all seem to say stay away from gluten, no matter what form or how little, forever.

Ahhhh, that's right. Thank you!

If you're doing a meal I'd suggested grilling something and a lovely salad with lots of different chopped veggies & eggs.

Sounds good, but the meals have to be frozen so this wouldn't work. (They live quite a distance from our population center, so we're going to gather meals and get them into their freezer.)

Sounds good, but the meals have to be frozen so this wouldn't work. (They live quite a distance from our population center, so we're going to gather meals and get them into their freezer.)

Well, do they own a grill? Perhaps you could take frozen meat that they could thaw out and grill when they wanted to???

ETA: Or take it refrigerated and ready to put in the freezer (sorry, didn't see the long distance part).

Edited by Hoggirl

Well, do they own a grill? Perhaps you could take frozen meat that they could thaw out and grill when they wanted to???

ETA: Or take it refrigerated and ready to put in the freezer (sorry, didn't see the long distance part).

Oh, yes, the meat would work fine, obviously ~ it was the other things mentioned that can't be frozen.

Is the friend receiving chemo? If so, check with her to see if there are any foods that she is not allowed. Certain chemos- patients are not allow fresh veggies. Also, before bring anything you might want to check to see if they are smell sensitive that week to anything. Sometimes after chemo certain smell can be horrible for you.

Also, if they have small kids ask for the kids favorite dishes. Just including that as a surprise is such a uplifting thing to the kids.

Is the friend receiving chemo? If so, check with her to see if there are any foods that she is not allowed. Certain chemos- patients are not allow fresh veggies. Also, before bring anything you might want to check to see if they are smell sensitive that week to anything. Sometimes after chemo certain smell can be horrible for you.

Also, if they have small kids ask for the kids favorite dishes. Just including that as a surprise is such a uplifting thing to the kids.

Thanks for asking -- no, surgery first and the first meals are for the 7-10 days after the surgery. But we'll also do some for during chemo. too so thanks for the info. I imagine the meals we make even then will be for the husband and (older teen) kids and they'll get her whatever she feels like eating. We'll see.