Menu

Help settle a difference of opinion

A friend and I have a small disagreement. If you homeschooled since the beginning of your child's education and now as a Junior you enroll them in the local CC for duel credit are you still homeschooling? Let assume a majority of the class work for that year will come from the CC.

TIA :lurk5:

I have been told by others that the HSLDA indicates that if 6+ classes are outsourced or on the computer, you are not considered a homeschooler by them. I did assume those are academic classes and not band, tennis, gymnastics, etc.

If I have this wrong, please correct me.

Dual-credit means that they are still in high school. So, yes.

:iagree: They have not yet graduated from high school and presumably that diploma will be issued from their homeschool upon completion of the required credits (as determined by the parent), of which the dual credit collee classes are a part.

Yes.

This is what we are doing, and I still consider it homeschooling.

TO ME, homeschooling means I am in control of my child's education, not the public school, and not a private school.

If I hire a piano teacher, or a math tutor or let dc enroll in a college class, they are chosen and paid for by me, the homeschooling mom.

I have been told by others that the HSLDA indicates that if 6+ classes are outsourced or on the computer, you are not considered a homeschooler by them. I did assume those are academic classes and not band, tennis, gymnastics, etc.

If I have this wrong, please correct me.

Hmmm, that would mean that most of those using Classical Conversations were not homeschoolers anymore, for example, as well as many who use co-ops for high school classes.

My dd next year would come close to not being a homeschooler, as 5 credits will be outsourced (AP Stats, AP Chem, Latin III, Web Design, and Art/Music at a half credit each.) She'll probably take an AOPS class online at some point in the year, so I guess we aren't homeschooling anymore?? What a relief, because teaching her history, literature, writing, religion, and rhetoric sounded like a lot of work for me. :lol:

Yes, because if you were not homeschooling, they would still have to be enrolled at a high school, right?

Yes.

Depending on what state you are in, OP, there may be a statewide definition of "homeschool." I know there is for Michigan and Ohio. In both states, your friend would still be a homeschooler.

Hsing, attending cc classes. The compulsory ed requirements are still being met by the parents hsing, who have outsourced the classes to the cc instructors. The cc is not going to issue the high school diploma. The hsing parents are still responsible for, and managing, the student's education.

Yes. They may be outsourcing a significant part of the instruction, but mom & dad are still "headmaster and headmistress" of the student's homeschooling.

I'd consider almost anything a la carte to be homeschooling.

(That said, my state has a wide variety of options for homeschoolers, none of which are called "homeschooling". I use "homeschooling" as a very broad and inclusive term. I use the more specific terms when discussing specific people or laws in my state. If the family in question was in my state, they could be "home educating", or any one of a number of other options, including "homeschooling underground". Add to that the fact that students in my state can quit reporting at 17, even if they are still learning at home. Confusing? Yep!)

A friend and I have a small disagreement. If you homeschooled since the beginning of your child's education and now as a Junior you enroll them in the local CC for duel credit are you still homeschooling? Let assume a majority of the class work for that year will come from the CC.

TIA :lurk5:

Yes, or the kid would be in high school. The parent at home is still responsible for pulling all the high school requirements together and graduating the kid. And why does it matter enough for someone to disagree, or were you attempting to establish some sort of legal status per state regulations?

Hmmm, that would mean that most of those using Classical Conversations were not homeschoolers anymore, for example, as well as many who use co-ops for high school classes.

My dd next year would come close to not being a homeschooler, as 5 credits will be outsourced (AP Stats, AP Chem, Latin III, Web Design, and Art/Music at a half credit each.) She'll probably take an AOPS class online at some point in the year, so I guess we aren't homeschooling anymore?? What a relief, because teaching her history, literature, writing, religion, and rhetoric sounded like a lot of work for me. :lol:

:lol:

If the same child had attended public school his/her whole life and were now enrolled at the local high school but taking most of his classes as dual credit at the community college, would he/she still be considered a public school student? Yes. Therefore he/she is still a homeschooler.

Yes.

This is what we are doing, and I still consider it homeschooling.

TO ME, homeschooling means I am in control of my child's education, not the public school, and not a private school.

If I hire a piano teacher, or a math tutor or let dc enroll in a college class, they are chosen and paid for by me, the homeschooling mom.

Exactly. Our oldest dual enrolled at one of the high schools and the CC his junior and senior year. We were still in control of his education and he graduated from home. To me, that's homeschooled.

Exactly. Our oldest dual enrolled at one of the high schools and the CC his junior and senior year. We were still in control of his education and he graduated from home. To me, that's homeschooled.

That is what I thought! DS will be attending 4 classes in September at the local CC. My friend said that I was no longer considered homeschooling.

That is what I thought! DS will be attending 4 classes in September at the local CC. My friend said that I was no longer considered homeschooling.

Why does he/she care what it's called?

Why do you care what she cares it's called :tongue_smilie: