Menu

Child bathroom habit question

If she's telling the truth, it's got to be a medical issue. I'd take her to the doctor. That said, Mom Instinct is pretty reliable ... if you think she's fibbing, she might be, but there's probably a reason. Is she scared to go? Does she have pain? Does she dislike the flush of the toilet? There can be all sorts of reasons for a child to avoid the bathroom. On the other hand, most kids who fear the toilet just hold it in (causing further issues). I think it's pretty unusual for a child that age to go in her pants. So ... I'd lean toward taking her to the doctor.

If she's telling the truth, it's got to be a medical issue. I'd take her to the doctor. That said, Mom Instinct is pretty reliable ... if you think she's fibbing, she might be, but there's probably a reason. Is she scared to go? Does she have pain? Does she dislike the flush of the toilet? There can be all sorts of reasons for a child to avoid the bathroom. On the other hand, most kids who fear the toilet just hold it in (causing further issues). I think it's pretty unusual for a child that age to go in her pants. So ... I'd lean toward taking her to the doctor.

She goes to the bathroom just fine. She is my kid that doesn't like to quit what she's doing to go to the bathroom. That is why I'm leaning toward not quite buying it.

I'll give the doctor a call.

I'd believe it. It's possible that she's constipated and new stool is going around the blockage and leaking out.

Yes, I'd try that angle first and take her to the doctor to see. That has happened to my 2yo before.

If that doesn't pan out (no constipation, no other issues visible to the doc) then I'd put her on a toilet schedule. After meals and before bed, or something like that, sitting for a set time (much, much longer than it would take her to just stop what she's doing and get it over with) whether she has to go or not. If she can't tell when she has to go, she can't really fault you for choosing a time for her.

How do I know if this is the case? I've never known any of my kids to be constipated. Why wouldn't the blockage come out with the new stool?

Kelly

This happened to my dd when she was younger, even with a high fiber diet she was always getting consitpated. She has been better since we took her off dairy. The blockage does not always come our with the new stool. We spent weeks giving her meds to clear her intestines and they still would not clear all the way.

I vote for a little of both. She probably hates to stop what she is doing, so tends to hold it in. Add a little bit of constipation to that and you get the poo in the pants problem.

I would up the amount of water she is drinking and add a little extra fiber to her diet. Then, interrupt her about 20 minutes after she eats for the next couple of days and send her to the bathroom. If it's a simple problem, this should be enough to break the cycle.

It could be constipation, but if it's intermittent and your gut says she's playing you, you're probably right.

Here's how I'd test that theory. Offer her an incentive that you know she really cares about. She can have X but only if she doesn't have any poop accidents all day/however long. See if that magically cures her. Stranger things have happened!

She goes to the bathroom just fine. She is my kid that doesn't like to quit what she's doing to go to the bathroom. That is why I'm leaning toward not quite buying it.

I'll give the doctor a call.

One of my kids did the same thing when she was that age. She was too busy playing to go to the bathroom so she would poop or skid her pants. She rarely peed them though. She out grew it by seven.

One of my kids did the same thing when she was that age. She was too busy playing to go to the bathroom so she would poop or skid her pants. She rarely peed them though. She out grew it by seven.

We had a big problem with her peeing in her pants until last year. Again, it was because she didn't want to stop playing. Another reason I'm not sure I believe her.

Maybe I'll trying increasing her water and fiber for a bit and getting her on the toilet every 30 minutes and see if that helps.

I am so glad you posted this! I have been having the same problem with my soon-to-be 6 DS. My gut tells me he doesn't want to stop playing, but then there are times he flies past me to go to the bathroom and just misses. He seems upset and says he ran as fast as he could as soon as he felt it. I just don't know. I'm going to try the schedule too.

Yes. My DD was like that. She was constipated. She didn't look constipated because she had large bowel movements on a regular schedule but there was a bunch that never came out. Her colon was enlarged and when that happens, the nerves die and the kids literally cannot feel. Google encopresis. Ironically, very large bms are a sign of constipation. It can take years for the nerves to start working again and for the colon to shrink so I wouldn't mess with waiting and seeing if you think there is a chance that she's telling the truth. If she consistently waits and tries to hold it, then it is very likely that she has become constipated.

Yes. My DD was like that. She was constipated. She didn't look constipated because she had large bowel movements on a regular schedule but there was a bunch that never came out. Her colon was enlarged and when that happens, the nerves die and the kids literally cannot feel. Google encopresis. Ironically, very large bms are a sign of constipation. It can take years for the nerves to start working again and for the colon to shrink so I wouldn't mess with waiting and seeing if you think there is a chance that she's telling the truth. If she consistently waits and tries to hold it, then it is very likely that she has become constipated.

This. In that case, get very friendly with miralax. :glare:

This. In that case, get very friendly with miralax. :glare:

My son has to take this. We didn't realize he was constipated at all til he started throwing up and they took an X-ray of his stomach (he was 2 at the time). We're still trying to get him to a place that we can get him completely weaned off.

She is my kid that doesn't like to quit what she's doing to go to the bathroom. That is why I'm leaning toward not quite buying it.

The fact that she doesn't like to stop what she's doing doesn't mean she's lying about not realizing she needs to poop — it may actually be the cause of her not feeling it. Sometimes kids get so absorbed in what they're doing that they just "tune out" other stimuli, such as outside noises (like mom calling them!) or even internal stimuli (being tired, being hungry, needing to poop). They really don't notice it, until suddenly the urge is so strong that they realize they're about to poop or pee in their pants and they run for the bathroom. Sometimes they don't make it. IME, this is especially common in kids with sensory issues (picky eater, fussy about clothes, has a difficult time with transitions, etc.).

Perhaps she is constipated, but even if there doesn't seem to be a physical cause, I would still not assume that she's just being lazy and can't be bothered to stop playing, or that she's lying about not feeling the signals. I'd be sympathetic and try to help her learn to recognize the signs that she needs to go, including frequent reminders (e.g., if she's absorbed in playing, discreetly ask her to stop for a moment and close her eyes and see if maybe she feels like she needs to go).

Jackie

:iagree:I had this as a child. My mom thought I just didn't want to quit playing and punished me. She still feels bad about all those times she punished me for what turned out to be a medical problem.

Is it possible for a 6 year old child to not know when she has to poop? My 6 yr old dd is having some issues with pooping in her underwear and today told me she can't always tell when she has to go.

I'm not sure I'm buying that.

Kelly

Sincere question: why would a child lie about this?

What do parents see as the potential motivation for the child not going to the bathroom when they feel the urge to do so? Is not wanting to stop playing enough? I am honestly curious about this.

Sincere question: why would a child lie about this?

What do parents see as the potential motivation for the child not going to the bathroom when they feel the urge to do so? Is not wanting to stop playing enough? I am honestly curious about this.

Because she did this all the time when she had to pee up until January. Now, when she starts to do the pee dance she looks at me and says, "I know. I have to pee." She knew she had to go all that time but didn't want to stop doing what she was doing. She told me that. So, yes, I do have some doubt.

I had this as a child. My mom thought I just didn't want to quit playing and punished me. She still feels bad about all those times she punished me for what turned out to be a medical problem.

If I didn't want to help or didn't want to believe her at some level I wouldn't have asked. I don't punish her for this. I'm at a loss on the poop thing. The pee thing was very obvious and we've gotten that taken care of. The poop thing is not as easy because I can't tell when she has to poop.

After talking with her more about not feeling it, this is what she said:

1. She can't feel it if she is running around and jumping.

2. She can't feel it if she sits for a long period of time (watching a long movie)

3. She used to be able to feel it during these activities but not anymore.

She did go this morning and said she could feel it so she went.

Kelly

If I didn't want to help or didn't want to believe her at some level I wouldn't have asked. I don't punish her for this. I'm at a loss on the poop thing. The pee thing was very obvious and we've gotten that taken care of. The poop thing is not as easy because I can't tell when she has to poop.

I understand. I just went through the "not wanting to stop playing to pee" thing with my own daughter. It is hard trying to distinguish between a true problem and just not wanting to miss out on something fun.

I just wanted to share my story because I feel like it is better to check and find out nothing than to not check and find out much later.

I understand. I just went through the "not wanting to stop playing to pee" thing with my own daughter. It is hard trying to distinguish between a true problem and just not wanting to miss out on something fun.

I just wanted to share my story because I feel like it is better to check and find out nothing than to not check and find out much later.

I think I'll take her in. My doctor already thinks I'm paranoid when it comes to my kids anyway.