Menu

Shampoo help needed for my dd

My dd needs some new shampoo that doesn't give me headaches.

She has oily hair, so needs one for that. She also wants (NEEDS to her!) one that makes her hair easy to brush or comb (whichever one it is that is the only thing she does--this is my eldest, and for those of you hundreds of people who don't know me because I usually post on the smaller forums here, she is wonderful in many ways, but very challenging to raise:glare:),

btw, she hates unscented shampoos with a passion...

The one she likes that gives me nasty headaches (one of many shampoos that do) is Herbal Essences hello Hydration (blue).

The best compromise that I can think of would be something all natural with no chemical perfumes, but with something that makes it smell good to her.

what kind of hair does she have? I have very very oily hair but super dry ends what worked for me was soaking the ends in olive oil (no tangles) and washing the top with head and shoulders oily scalp. It has a light scent, I feel her pain herbal essence is like a wonderful gift to the hair care world.

Burt's Bees has a new line of gud shampoos, that might work. They sell them at Target. I'd probably go sniff them before you buy one and see if it bothers you. They smell a bit strong in the bottle, but I don't notice a scent after washing my hair. I think the Floral Cherrynova scent works best for oily hair out of the several I've tried. Also, to help with the oiliness, have her do a final rinse with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a large cup of water. When her hair dries, it won't smell like vinegar.

Gud Shampoo

Thanks for everything so far--all have merit, and I'm answering each since I forgot to mention a couple of things.

what kind of hair does she have? I have very very oily hair but super dry ends what worked for me was soaking the ends in olive oil (no tangles) and washing the top with head and shoulders oily scalp. It has a light scent, I feel her pain herbal essence is like a wonderful gift to the hair care world.

This is a great suggestion, but dd won't touch olive oil for love or money--I forgot to mention her aversion to oil...

Hmmm....well if her hair is oily, she definitely doesn't want to use anything "hydrating"...that will only exacerbate the problem.

She really wants a clarifying shampoo...

You are saying exactly what I've been saying to her. She insists that she needs a hydrating shampoo at the end and refuses conditioner, which is something I forgot to mention.

Has she tried Pantene? It works great on oily hair. It is scented but it is a light scent. Several people in my family have issues with scents and it is okay with us.

We can look at this. I'm saving all the replies.

Burt's Bees has a new line of gud shampoos, that might work. They sell them at Target. I'd probably go sniff them before you buy one and see if it bothers you. They smell a bit strong in the bottle, but I don't notice a scent after washing my hair. I think the Floral Cherrynova scent works best for oily hair out of the several I've tried. Also, to help with the oiliness, have her do a final rinse with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a large cup of water. When her hair dries, it won't smell like vinegar.

Gud Shampoo

Thanks--we have a Target in easy driving distance. Dd will have to come and smell all of these as well as the Pantene.

I have a dry scalp, oily roots, and dry ends. The only thing that I've found that really works well is Head and Shoulders, and I use the one specifically for dry scalps. I buy the separate shampoo and conditioner, and use the conditioner just on the bottom half of my hair. It doesn't have much of on odor, just almond oil, I think.

Lush has some nice shampoos that smell pretty, but light and natural. I have chemical sensitivities, and they don't bother me at all.

Right now I'm using Jason brand jojoba shampoo, and I love it. It's quite light smelling. It's also extra good for the scalp. In general, I'd say try the Jason or KissMyFace shampoos (health food store). If you want an expensive one, there's always Druide.

How old is she?

Can you send her (or review with her) some of the threads over at the Long Hair Community forum? She may not listen to you, but perhaps coming from other -many- people with the same interest in haircare would make her more receptive to trying something different?

I hate scented shampoos, both the articifial aromas and the headaches they induce. My daughter thinks unscented shampoos are "boring" (like it matters? LOL) so our compromise was to buy the unscented ones and we add a few drops of essential oil into her bottle. The essential oils are more delicate (depending on the scent you choose, I guess) and I don't have the same reaction to them as I do the fake smells. A bonus, some essential oils are moisturizing; your daughter can research which ones are 'hydrating' and it'll be win, win LOL.

Though, if she's anything like mine ... the simple solution is never the acceptable (to her) one. Good luck ;)

Yes how old is she? Conditioner on the ends is a way of life over here. I can't imagine being without it (lack of conditioner was the reason my mother cut my hair short - boy short - for the first 14 or so years of my life, when I finally wrestled control and conditioners were finally plentiful at the supermarket). Tell her she's taking a step back to the dark ages, LOL.

This is a little off-topic, but I'd be interested to hear comments on when you allow (force, lol) your long-haired dd to handle her own hair-washing. I'm in the process of teaching dd how to get her own hair washed well in the shower so that I don't have to do it in the tub. (If I don't check in to see it happening, the roots might not get washed IYKWIM. So far, the conditioner seems to be going ok - I explained to avoid the roots and then comb out.)

I have a dry scalp, oily roots, and dry ends. The only thing that I've found that really works well is Head and Shoulders, and I use the one specifically for dry scalps. I buy the separate shampoo and conditioner, and use the conditioner just on the bottom half of my hair. It doesn't have much of on odor, just almond oil, I think.

:iagree: This is exactly describes my dd's hair and what we've been using on her. Head and Shoulders for shampoo (they do make a 2 in 1, but I haven't used it). She also use conditioner, only on bottom half (Treseme Naturals) and she uses a wide tooth comb while conditioner is on her hair.

Why doesn't she want conditioner? There is no way my hair will not be a tangled mess without conditioner. If her hair is oily but dry on the ends, I'd recommend using a clarifying or regular- not hydrating- shampoo on the top part, and conditioner on the ends.

My hair was dying with the hard water in our area and it looks much better since I switched to bar/solid shampoo and conditioner. I get it on etsy. The bar shampoo is supposed to be conditioning but my hair needs the extra conditioner to keep it from tangling. There are a lot of scent options and the ingredients may be more appealing to her.

Why doesn't she want conditioner? There is no way my hair will not be a tangled mess without conditioner. If her hair is oily but dry on the ends, I'd recommend using a clarifying or regular- not hydrating- shampoo on the top part, and conditioner on the ends.

My hair was dying with the hard water in our area and it looks much better since I switched to bar/solid shampoo and conditioner. I get it on etsy. The bar shampoo is supposed to be conditioning but my hair needs the extra conditioner to keep it from tangling. There are a lot of scent options and the ingredients may be more appealing to her.

Thanks. We have bar shampoo, which she uses as one of about 4 shampoos; we get it through a food coop. It doesn't clean the oil out properly for her.

As for why she won't use conditioner, which I have suggested to her more than once, I guess that's summed up in my OP with the phrase "very challenging to raise:glare:".:)

Edited by Karin

My ds has very oily hair and the only thing I found that works is shampoo with tea tree oil in it. I get ours from Smart Style (their brand), but you could look on the shelf and see what there is. He hates the scent, but it really works. I can tell when he uses "regular" shampoo, because even right out of the shower his hair still looks greasy. Also, my hairdresser said he shouldn't use conditioner because that makes it worse. In the summer he uses a small amount of mild conditioner though, because he spends a lot of time in swimming pools and the chlorine does a number on it.

If she finds one that you both agree on but isn't great for her oily hair you could always use bit of baking soda on her hair. It sounds odd but my dd tends to have oily hair. She uses a bit of baking soda and water along the roots once a week to absorb the excess oil and then shampoos regularly the rest of the time.

How old is she?

The essential oils are more delicate (depending on the scent you choose, I guess) and I don't have the same reaction to them as I do the fake smells. A bonus, some essential oils are moisturizing; your daughter can research which ones are 'hydrating' and it'll be win, win LOL.

Essential oils are great and they all have wonderful benefits, but you should never just go grab one that you like the smell of and add it to something without doing your research first. Some can cause light sensitivities, seizures, irritation, and you could develop an allergy to prolonged exposure. Frankenscense is awesome for oily skin, but unless you want to smell like incensce, I wouldn't recommend using it everyday, although 2-4 drops in a regular size bottle of shampoo would give the natural benefits without the overpowering smell. Plus, it's about $25 per 2mls. Lavender essential oil is fantastic for everything! Citrus tend to be clarifying as they are on the more acidic side.

I am an Aromatherapist and use oils almost daily in a lot of different applications.

I would suggest asking a professional stylist what they recommend for her hair type and texture. Then if you have a natural/organics grocery store, try to find something there that is paraben and PPG free. Giovanni has a great line of organic beauty products.

My ds has very oily hair and the only thing I found that works is shampoo with tea tree oil in it. I get ours from Smart Style (their brand), but you could look on the shelf and see what there is. He hates the scent, but it really works. I can tell when he uses "regular" shampoo, because even right out of the shower his hair still looks greasy. Also, my hairdresser said he shouldn't use conditioner because that makes it worse. In the summer he uses a small amount of mild conditioner though, because he spends a lot of time in swimming pools and the chlorine does a number on it.

Thanks. DD swims much of the year, so she likes the hydrating shampoo last.

If she finds one that you both agree on but isn't great for her oily hair you could always use bit of baking soda on her hair. It sounds odd but my dd tends to have oily hair. She uses a bit of baking soda and water along the roots once a week to absorb the excess oil and then shampoos regularly the rest of the time.
I'll suggest it and see what she says.

I am super sensitive to scents AND I have lots of oily hair!

Pantene is good for my hair, but gives me a head ache.

I have found that pert plus works for my hair, and the scent doesn't bother me.

Thanks. Pantene gives me headaches, too.

Meant to add:

After washing, a rinse of ACV will make it very soft/tangle-free. Just rinse it out and the scent won't linger.

Essential oils are great and they all have wonderful benefits, but you should never just go grab one that you like the smell of and add it to something without doing your research first. Some can cause light sensitivities, seizures, irritation, and you could develop an allergy to prolonged exposure. Frankenscense is awesome for oily skin, but unless you want to smell like incensce, I wouldn't recommend using it everyday, although 2-4 drops in a regular size bottle of shampoo would give the natural benefits without the overpowering smell. Plus, it's about $25 per 2mls. Lavender essential oil is fantastic for everything! Citrus tend to be clarifying as they are on the more acidic side.

I am an Aromatherapist and use oils almost daily in a lot of different applications.

I would suggest asking a professional stylist what they recommend for her hair type and texture. Then if you have a natural/organics grocery store, try to find something there that is paraben and PPG free. Giovanni has a great line of organic beauty products.

Thanks, Doran! I can't use anything with mint extracts & can't abide the smell of lavender (but it doesn't give me a headache.)

There is one salon here that may have something natural, but I did get a headache when I was in there (not sure if it's all natural products there.) I'm going to look for Giovanni, which I haven't seen in the natural section of our store (or is it a salon thing? )

It is usually available at Natural health and food stores. We have EarthFare here, but I think that's a southern chain. You could probably find it on Amazon. They use essential oils not fragrance oils, so the scents shouldn't give you a problem. I wouldn't buy from a salon unless you can't find anything else. I would just ask the type of shampoo she should be using the next time she gets a hair cut. Anything that is normal to oily should work, and a light detangling conditioner. DO NOT use one that says moisturizing or deep moisture, that means it's heavy!!

I love Paul Mitchell products and they last quite awhile.

:iagree: I use the Baby Don't Cry shampoo and the original Paul Mitchell blue leave-in conditioner for my girls and it makes their hair very soft and easy to comb out. I use the conditioner for myself as well and need about a dime-sized amount for my long hair (just past my shoulders) and about a pea-size for each of my girls (ages 6 and 3). It's pricier than drugstore conditioner, but a 1L bottle lasts a really long time. And the scent is very light and pleasant.