Menu

De-cluttering guru's!!!!

I LOVE this topic!

One of my favorite reads was It's All Too Much http://www.amazon.com/Its-All-Too-Much-Living/dp/0743292650/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331933227&sr=8-1.

I have done this in waves. For instance, I have decluttered my closet three times, getting rid of more and more each time. It was less emotionally draining for me that way. Also, success breeds success and the more I decluttered the more I wanted to do!

I do believe that I have said, "Oh, I gave that away" about a few items but I cannot remember what they were so I must not miss them too much!

Good luck!

I can count on one hand the items that I've "de-cluttered" that I regret. I used to tell myself, "I'll use that again someday," or, "I would wear that," when what I meant was "I'll never use/wear that again!"

Let's see...I gave away one book that then went out of print and went $$$ in value. :glare: We are getting ready to move now, and in cleaning out my pantry last week I tossed the last of my meringue powder. Then I promised ds we'd decorate shamrock cookies, so I was at the cake supply store this morning buying meringue powder! (the old one was probably too old anyway, I consoled myself). Anyway...offhand those are the only two things I can think of, although there might be a few more.

There are a few cool clothing items that I wore in college that my 18 yo dd would *love* - but really, was I supposed to save every article of clothing I've owned for the last 25 years in the hopes that they would become "hipster" decades later?!

Throw it, give it, sell it. You won't regret it!

This is my favorite inspiration for de-cluttering: Miss Minimalist The blog & book are excellent.

Edited by OC Mom

I very rarely de-clutter something I later regret. The few times it has happened, it still wasn't anything monumental; perhaps just a niggling thought of, "Well, if I still had that book, I could look up that part that so-and-so just mentioned, but I de-cluttered it so...boo."

Start with a place that will give you the most satisfaction. Closets or drawers or cabinets are nice. There is a fung shei (sp?) idea that says shelves should have one clear shelf because it represents openness to have fresh things in your life - that if your shelves are stuffed, you can't be open to new things and new ideas. I think that is a very healthy attitude and I use that as a guideline.

If you don't love it, chuck it. If it doesn't bring you joy, chuck it. If it makes you feel bad or you associate it with baggage, chuck it. If it's something that was expensive or is still useful, but you don't want or need it, choose to bless somebody else with it.

I love decluttering. My challenge is remaining decluttered. I can count on one hand the number of times I wish I still had something. I tend to get rid of things that have not been used in at least 2 years. Clothes-have a shorter turn around time. If it hasn't been worn in a year, out it goes.

I have never thrown anything out and regretted it afterwards.

Getting rid of stuff is liberating.

A good point to start? For example, every outgrown piece of clothing or toy you were saving for the huge garage sale you were planning to have one day, or that you were planning to sell on ebay, advertise in the paper, take to the flea market. Give it away. Now. it will feel great.

Last year, Fairytalemama posted while working through a decluttering book, 30 Days to a Simpler Life. The book gives you one small-ish task to do per day for 30 days. I think she also blogged about it.

Here is a thread she posted about the book:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253594

The projects were manageable for me, and I really enjoyed doing them.

I have never thrown anything out and regretted it afterwards.

Getting rid of stuff is liberating.

A good point to start? For example, every outgrown piece of clothing or toy you were saving for the huge garage sale you were planning to have one day, or that you were planning to sell on ebay, advertise in the paper, take to the flea market. Give it away. Now. it will feel great.

This brings up the next question. How do I handle the guilt I feel about just throwing something away. I live to far out to make easy trips to a donation place, have little storage, and am out of range for a pick up or to make a garage sale useful.

I want to just throw stuff out, but then I feel guilty. :tongue_smilie:

Help me overcome my "wastefullness" guilt.

There are two kinds of people in the world. Savers and Thrower-Awayers. If you are a Saver, you need to find a Thrower-Awayer to help you get started learning how to declutter.

Many Savers are married to a Thrower-Awayer, and thus they have a good balance in their marriage. If two Savers are married, they are in big trouble. They require outside help to get rid of their extra stuff.

Thrower-Awayers don't let emotional attachment to things prevent them from getting rid of unnecessary items to acheive an organized, uncluttered home. IMO the usual reason Savers save too much is the emtional component. They simply can't let something go because it would be too sad to say good-bye. On the other hand, Thrower-Awayers get more peace by having less clutter and more organization. The yearning for a peaceful, clutterfree house is stronger than the emotional pull of the material possessions.

Just some random thoughts dh and I have had recently. We have of late been trying to clean out the old house which both of his Saver parents had filled completely with piles of things. My recommendation to all Savers is that you invite a good Thrower-Awayer into your life if you don't already have one, and before your children have to clean out your house packed with clutter!

This brings up the next question. How do I handle the guilt I feel about just throwing something away. I live to far out to make easy trips to a donation place, have little storage, and am out of range for a pick up or to make a garage sale useful..

You store the stuff now anyway, don't you? It is taking up space in your closet or garage. So, you can store it a little while longer, but in a bag or box together with other items for donations (or in the trunk of your car) - until you will be in town the next time anyway, then drop it at some place that accepts donations. Surely you must be in contact with civilization every few weeks?

This brings up the next question. How do I handle the guilt I feel about just throwing something away. I live to far out to make easy trips to a donation place, have little storage, and am out of range for a pick up or to make a garage sale useful.

If I won't make it to the thrift store anytime son, I put it out on the curb a few days before trash day. Someone always takes it.

As far as guilt, giving an item to someone else who can use it is far better than keeping it and never using it. And if it is something that you do not use and no one else can use, then it is already garbage. It can become compost inside your house or outside of it.

One tip I found useful was to declutter the closets first. Most of the things you will get rid of are probably in the closet because you don't use them often. Things you use a lot get left out because there is no room in the closets. After the closets are decluttered, you will have a place to stow away the things you really do need and use don't don't want to keep out in the open.

I am going through this in my life right now.

Some ideas:

Decluttering is just as much about the stuff as it is the furniture and the flow in your house.

Look and see where your problem areas are- for example, we have a huge desk for storing office supplies. In the two years we have had this desk, it has been more of a hindrance than a help. The desk just "helps" us continue to stay cluttered. We made a new entry bench for our shoes, so we can keep them out of the way rather than on the floor. Keeping things out of sight is key for decluttering.

Other than that, start small. Set a timer for 15 minutes and attack one shelf/cabinet area in your house at a time.

Set up a "donation" station by placing items that you want to get rid of in one specific area in your house. Check and see if your area has a Freecycle group, otherwise, I agree with the PP who said bring it with you on your next trip to town. You might not get there very often- but it is certainly worth the trip to unload the things you don't need and you will feel a weight lift off your shoulders.

Also- look around at the "projects" you have in progress in your house- whether they are for your, your kids, or DH. Don't get hung up on that stuff any longer. Make a "project" day and everyone has to work on their own projects or get rid of it!

Look at pinterest for organization ideas and customize them to fit your needs!! I am trying to do this and I find it very overwhelming, I am just taking it one step at a time. Best of luck to you & just knwo the result will be worth it in the end!

Because you eventually realize that your time has value too. It takes time to constantly deal with stuff. It takes time to donnate, time to sort, time to get the perfect "they really could use this item" to the right person, time to list/sell/package/mail, time to take a picture and put it on Craigslist and answer everyone and meet them. Eventually you look at the item and weigh it against the value of your time.

It you have a big ticket items, a valuable collection - maybe it is worthwhile to find them their forever homes and recoup the value for another purpose.

Otherwise, learn from what you choose to throw away and

1) enjoy the fact that the item had usefullness and you paid for the use of it and now you don't need it any more

2) determine not to bring more into the house unless it has a vital role in your life.

There are two kinds of people in the world. Savers and Thrower-Awayers. If you are a Saver, you need to find a Thrower-Awayer to help you get started learning how to declutter.

Many Savers are married to a Thrower-Awayer, and thus they have a good balance in their marriage. If two Savers are married, they are in big trouble. They require outside help to get rid of their extra stuff.

Thrower-Awayers don't let emotional attachment to things prevent them from getting rid of unnecessary items to acheive an organized, uncluttered home. IMO the usual reason Savers save too much is the emtional component. They simply can't let something go because it would be too sad to say good-bye. On the other hand, Thrower-Awayers get more peace by having less clutter and more organization. The yearning for a peaceful, clutterfree house is stronger than the emotional pull of the material possessions.

!

any Thrower-Awayers live in southern/central new jersey???

robin in NJ

All I know is that keeping my house at a sane level would be easier if I didn't have people giving us stuff all the time. I've suggested alternative presents like memberships and subscriptions, but the worst offenders already have things set aside for when my toddler hits middle school. And they do it out of love too, which makes me feel guilty for resenting all this stuff that takes over my house.

I declutter without fear b/c I know if three years from now it turns out that I want the item again, I can probably find it on eBay.

What about the fact that I would have to pay for it all over again?

Well, space in my house has a dollar value--after all, house prices go up with house sizes, right? So, if I'm not willing to spend $10 on a used copy of a book I got rid of three years ago, why on earth would I have let that book suck up space that I am paying for?

It is worth more to me to have a home that is (relatively) organized and where everything has a place that is neatly out from under foot, than it is to know that I will never have to "re-pay" for an item I regret getting rid of.

But really, I've never regretted getting rid of things.

re: the guilt about throwing things away, as pp suggested I would drive to town to donate stuff that was really worthy of being donated, but other stuff, I would not feel guilty about. If you are not using it, you're not using it whether it's in your house or the landfill. Keeping it in your house does not magically turn it into organic soil--it is going to end up in a landfill at some point unless you burn it. The only question is how long will it spend making you crazy with clutter before it gets there?

I LOVE this topic!

One of my favorite reads was It's All Too Much http://www.amazon.com/Its-All-Too-Much-Living/dp/0743292650/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331933227&sr=8-1.

I have done this in waves. For instance, I have decluttered my closet three times, getting rid of more and more each time. It was less emotionally draining for me that way. Also, success breeds success and the more I decluttered the more I wanted to do!

I do believe that I have said, "Oh, I gave that away" about a few items but I cannot remember what they were so I must not miss them too much!

Good luck!

:iagree: I may have regretted getting rid of 3 or 4 things but their were easily repurchased and inexpensive.

I do save realistic things for reuse, but I put a deadline on my projects. If I don't meet the deadline out the stuff goes. I've been outside in a coat under the eave spray painting furniture to meet my deadline. :lol:

I can not think of a time I've ever regretted throwing something away.

The way I declutter is not for the faint of heart. It takes days of hard backbreaking work but it is well worth it in the end.

I pick one room and remove everything from the room. I wipe down the walls, clean the baseboards and remove cobwebs from the ceilings. Then I clean the floor. Sometimes that means I clean carpets. Sometimes it means I scrub hardwood. Sometimes it means I just vacuum really well.

Then I vacuum the furniture as it is returned to the room. At this point I have a clean room with clean(er) furniture. Everything else gets picked through item by item. If it belongs in the room it goes in one pile. If it belongs in the trash it goes into a different pile. If it belongs in another room it goes into that room's pile.

Anything left over has to have a decision made. It either goes into the trash or an unlabeled box. When the box is full it goes into the garage still unlabeled, yet sealed with packing tape. I'll date the box and walk away. If the box is still in the garage unopened in a year I just have the box tossed without opening. I generally have no idea what is in there by this point.

Every once in a great while I'll have something that it too big for a box. That goes on the side of the road with a sign that says, "Free." It is usually gone by morning.

Now the only thing left to do is to put the stuff that belongs back in the room I'm working on back into the room in its proper place. While I'm putting stuff back it gets washed or dusted so it goes back clean. When I'm done that one room is clean and clutter free. Then I take a 15 minute break then move on to the next room. I can be in one room up to 3 hours (think kitchen). Most take about an hour and a half.