Menu

Augsburg Drawing: free and AWESOME and complete 1-8

Hunter

Hmmm, Book 1 page 70 says to give the child 2 pieces of crayon to write on the blackboard.

http://books.google.com/books?id=EaBpAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Were they using blackboard chalk on paper?

I looked into this a bit more last night, and got very confused. 

Looking at the colored plates, it's possible that the "crayons" the author used were made of chalk, but the colors seem more intense than today's colored blackboard chalk.  More like what we'd call chalk pastels.

But it's also possible that "crayon" was such a general term in 1910 that he used it for both blackboard crayons (made of white chalk), and colored crayons (not made of chalk), and just assumed the reader would know which one he was talking about.  

Some references, for anyone who cares to investigate:

1901 magazine article about "pastel or crayon drawings" -- says that crayon rubs right off paper with the touch of a finger, and the binders could include gum mucilage or barley malt. 

1911 Prang catalogue -- the company was a major supplier to schools, and their crayons were all described as "hydraulic pressed earth" (whatever that means!). 

1915 ad in School Arts Magazine -- talks about a contest to compare different types of crayons.  The types mentioned include hydraulic pressed earth, pastel, colored chalk, and wax.

(Now I'm wondering -- How did wax crayons become the norm, if they were the least successful in this contest?  Or is this all just advertising spin by the makers of pressed earth crayons?)

So I guess you can use whatever you like.  Just make sure it's washable before using it on a blackboard...

• Like 1

The older edition of Augsburg didn't have the crayon painting and just began with watercolors. I had assumed the new grades 1-3 crayon paintings were the result of the new wax crayons on the market.

The lessons work wonderfully with Waldorf beeswax crayons and colored pencils, and work well enough with plastic crayons like Crayola Twistable and Color Appeal. We have used petroleum wax crayons with mixed results.

The Color Appeal crayons are a favorite here, right now. They last a lot longer than Crayola twistables without so much waste.

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Appeel-Crayon-Sticks-Set/dp/1223064549/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429375835&sr=8-1&keywords=color+appeal+crayons

But if anyone is hospitalized or incarcerated, often all they can have is a regular Crayola 24 pack, so I make sure to teach students to use those buggers for all they are worth.

A student, just a couple weeks ago, gave me a card of the orange and blue tree lesson. I was shocked to see that from her after so much time has passed since I taught that to her. I think it's been 2 years??? And she is still redoing that lesson. It appeared to just be Crayola, but on some type of heavier art paper. Inside she had thanked me for teaching her art that she could do in the worst of times, and mentioned a recent personal crisis. I cried.

• Like 4

The graded links are to the NEW Augsburg books. I have edited the first post a few times. There is still a link to the old mixed grade 4-8 book at the end of the first post, but no link to the old 1-3 book. I think there is a link to the old 1-3 book somewhere further along in the thread.

How do you compare this title to The Prang Primary Course in Art Education Part 1 in 1892 by Mary Dana Hicks?  I haven't been able to compare the two side by side, but are they similar or different topics altogether?

Different topics. I'd use Prang before Augsburg. Prang is more than art. It covers a lot of observation training (can count as science) and forms (can count as geometry/math). And the rest is a blur. Brain fog. Sorry.

Are these books something you usually print and have in a binder or some other binding or how do you access them?  I love that they are available on google books, but I don't really want to be sitting at the computer for every lesson or even using a tablet/kindle for matter.  I love technology, but don't want it to be a distraction while we are working.

• Like 1

I just printed pages 1-59 which is the first nine weeks study on form.  I do not know how much of this we would be able to cover or how quickly, but I have it in my arithmetic binder and will read it this evening after bedtime to see what goals I can set.  Has anyone started using these books?

• Like 1

ArlieMarie, I have printed sections of these book, usually skipping the blackboard pictures. I really want a complete set, now. I'm not sure how I want to do that, though.

Now that I can see the later books, I understand better the early books.

I can't believe that no one has republished this set, long ago.

Do all you overseas ladies have all the books you wanted? PM me if I missed you altogether or you are missing any books.

I had so many of you, all needing the books sent, one single book at a time. It was hard to keep track. Google was blocking attachments sent in bulk. Yahoo was sending e-mails to spam. UGH! We got a LOT of books through anyway. :) Yeah for us!

Overseas ladies, please send me requests for other books, too. I really am happy to send you books. 

• Like 1

I know it was said that overseas families cannot download from Google Books. Does this include Google Drive? I ask, because if they have access to the Drive, then all the books could be uploaded there, then the link shared. If it is possible t his way, it would be easier than trying to send one at a time. Just a thought.

• Like 3

I know it was said that overseas families cannot download from Google Books. Does this include Google Drive? I ask, because if they have access to the Drive, then all the books could be uploaded there, then the link shared. If it is possible t his way, it would be easier than trying to send one at a time. Just a thought.

It might be possible, but someone would have to create an account, and I'm not sure what the laws are, but I wouldn't post the link, here, right in a thread, to make sure SWB is protected. Remember the man in kilts pictures?

It might be possible, but someone would have to create an account, and I'm not sure what the laws are, but I wouldn't post the link, here, right in a thread, to make sure SWB is protected. Remember the man in kilts pictures?

I already have an account, and don't mind creating a folder to share just for art books. It would happen latter this evening though as I'm "technically" working, and haven't downloaded the books myself yet. Sharing the link will not cause problems for SWB, as the link would go to a folder on my drive. The books are public works, so there are no copyright issues to deal with. 

I don't know enough about internet manners to know if it's alright to put them up on mine too. Get the cool stuff out to a wider audience, and all.

We're not the only ones that have it available for free download (other than archive and google books) on the web, so I don't think your manners would be lacking to post as well. :).

• Like 2

I have Book 8 and a nice new scanner. Does anyone know what settings I should be using? Book 8 has 22 pages on drawing the human head that are the best I have ever seen in one book. The details are pretty small, so I don't want the settings to be too fuzzy. But I also don't want the file size to be entirely unmanageable. I don't know how Google got their file sizes so small, yet so clear.

I printed out Book 1 and am going to systematically work through this series myself. Now that I see the entire series, I see the importance of every early lesson. And I now own all the levels. I trust this series will get me from where I'm at to somewhere with more options to express myself.

There were educators of the time that didn't believe in systematic art instruction, just like there were educators that didn't believe in systematic grammar instruction. There are modern educators with the same beliefs on both sides. If you ARE looking for vintage systematic art instruction this is the Harvey's and Ray's of art. I really really really wish someone would republish these books!

I don't think working through a set of art books is the right thing for everyone. It's time consuming, and maybe harmful for the artistically gifted child. I don't know about art enough to know. I do know that I crave explicit art instruction for myself, and have grown as an artist when I have found it, and have taken the time to work through lessons. And when feeling mentally unwell and overwhelmed, I have noticed a decrease in discomfort.  That is all I know.

Not May, though, here in the northern hemisphere.

And only a MAN would schedule NaNoWriMo in November as a month that is NOT busy. :confused1:

I'm playing with Augsburg in April, alongside nature study, because it's been raining, I've been sick, and because I'm neglecting 3R stuff till I feel better, mentally and physically.

I agree with the idea of assigning different electives to different months. I've been doing that for a bit, and it's been working.

Maybe Masterpiece March might work.

Augsburg says the form work is the most important and it should be scheduled for Winter. He schedules the observation drawing for fall, and the color work for spring. So March would be a good time to break out the "crayons" and paints and create some masterpieces.

• Like 1

The Old Order Amish use this priority in teaching:

Reading

Writing

Arithmetic

Singing

Drawing

Geography

Health

Many schools stop at drawing. Very very few Amish schools teach social studies and science beyond the topics covered in comprehensive vintage style geography and health, and some don't even teach content at all.

Augsburg was published when many schools still followed the above priority list. Singing and Drawing were considered more important than history in some schools.

• Like 1

The Old Order Amish use this priority in teaching:

Reading

Writing

Arithmetic

Singing

Drawing

Geography

Health

Many schools stop at drawing. Very very few Amish schools teach social studies and science beyond the topics covered in comprehensive vintage style geography and health, and some don't even teach content at all.

Augsburg was published when many schools still followed the above priority list. Singing and Drawing were considered more important than history in some schools.

This is really interesting to me to see what people thought should be given priority.  I am surprised Bible/religion is not on the list, but assume those topics would be in all subjects.  I've been focusing my energy on arithmetic and science, but perhaps I have jumped the gun and need to work more on reading and writing.

• Like 1

Okay, I may not have time to run through the entire thread and links for a while, so can someone give me a quick rundown on this? Is it something that a teen or tween could do on their own, if she wanted to improve her drawing skills? Or is it more of a teacher instruction guide? What supplies would be absolutely essentials? (I'm asking because I'll be at a homeschool convention this weekend and can possibly pick up stuff.)

• 2 weeks later...

Um. I think I've stolen them off you! I tried to share your files with myself, it said I'd moved them from your file to mine, I clicked "undo" in a hurry but can't see them in your file any more!

• Like 1

Um. I think I've stolen them off you! I tried to share your files with myself, it said I'd moved them from your file to mine, I clicked "undo" in a hurry but can't see them in your file any more!

Nah, they're still there.

• Like 1

I really don't know how to use basic tech either. I did manage to catch a video of a wild turkey walking around in front of a high rise building, and squirrel interacting with it. I can't figure out how to share it, though. And I'm just too tired to bother. Whatever. There are an amazing amount of critters living in major cities, but I really cannot figure out how a turkey got where it did! 

I'm told that same turkey was seen sitting on a  bench in front of the deli, and a neighbor had been about to buy a Turkey sub and walked away hungry, because she just could not eat Turkey with one sitting on the bench.

Speculation is that it flew in along a nearby river and somehow made it across the highways at night, and got marooned in the park.

Maybe some day I'll figure out how to post the video, because the squirrel is hysterical.

• Like 1

I'm currently still using the crayon paintings. I'm planning on doing some of the 2 handed drawing in the sand at the beach this summer. The figure drawing looks really good, but uses a 4 head tall figure and I'm concentrating on a 5 head figure from another curriculum, so it's not compatible right now. I forget what else is in grade 1. I have a lot going with figure drawing and map drawing right now.

The crayon paintings are a big deal to me. I'm an extreme minimalist, other than collecting massive amounts of books. I live in a high-rise, with a library downstairs, so when it comes time to move, I can just use one of the building carts and haul it in the elevator downstairs. Or call a homeschooler to come take it all :-)

But otherwise I am ridiculously minimal and that carries over into my art. I like crayons :-0 They don't smear or smudge, and don't require water. It's hard to find advanced crayon lessons. So many art lessons are based on messy and expensive media. I'm a crayon freak. What can I say?

Hunter, have you ever heard of Don Marco the master crayon artist?  I am amazed with what he can produce with crayons! http://www.themastercrayonartist.biz/

• 4 months later...

Rachel, I have a hard time using it.  I LIKE it, though - I think the instruction is excellent.  Like MEP & AoPS are excellent math, MCT teaches excellent grammar concepts, Getting Started With Latin is a terrific Latin intro.  Just great art instruction. 

I am not sure if the problem is the e-book nature or the program.  Or me!!!  we usually end up doing a drawing or two and not picking it up for three more months.  Hmm.  I will try to light a fire under myself and Just Do It for 10 or so minutes a day, and then remember to report back ...

(also: I am starting us in Book 1 even though A. is in 5th right now; but maybe older children should start in a later book?  not sure.)

Rachel, I have a hard time using it.  I LIKE it, though - I think the instruction is excellent.  Like MEP & AoPS are excellent math, MCT teaches excellent grammar concepts, Getting Started With Latin is a terrific Latin intro.  Just great art instruction. 

I am not sure if the problem is the e-book nature or the program.  Or me!!!  we usually end up doing a drawing or two and not picking it up for three more months.  Hmm.  I will try to light a fire under myself and Just Do It for 10 or so minutes a day, and then remember to report back ...

(also: I am starting us in Book 1 even though A. is in 5th right now; but maybe older children should start in a later book?  not sure.)

You took too long to reply. We have plans in place to start Monday. If we love it great, if not oh well. You can't go wrong with free. :)

Printing it out did help me. Also reading ahead a bit, so I understood the big picture.

I really wish someone would professionally reprint this series.

You can have it professionally printed for like $25. I would print books 1-3 together because it would be cheaper.

Are the newer 4-8 better than the older 4-8? Is their a newer 8th or does the series conclude with the 7th?

• Like 1

The newer books are better. I have a copy of the new book 8 and will mail it to anyone that has the ability to properly scan it and get it into the public domain.

Beware that I have a serious roach problem, and that the book needs to be fumigated or scanned and disposed of. I have thrown away just about everything I own, but have kept this book because it is a rare copy and in excellent condition.

Road construction disrupted outside nests and the roaches are climbing up the pipes of my high-rise, supposedly. That is what I am being told.

I will mail the book, but beware!

• Like 1

You took too long to reply. We have plans in place to start Monday. If we love it great, if not oh well. You can't go wrong with free. :)

:)  It's been crazy here -- it was my first time back to the board in a week or two!  It is great, and of course free too. 

Printing it out did help me. Also reading ahead a bit, so I understood the big picture.

I really wish someone would professionally reprint this series.

Hunter, thanks for this and thanks also for the rec. for newer 4-8. 

• Like 1

It is a solid solid solid curriculum. Book 8 is the capstone. I do not have a single negative thing to say about the curriculum. When we didn't have all the levels, I was still a little confused, but when I saw books 7 and 8, I was just blown away.

There are many families that will not have time to devote to such a comprehensive art curriculum, but for those that want something comparable to Rod and Staff English, this is it for drawing.

It is a solid solid solid curriculum. Book 8 is the capstone. I do not have a single negative thing to say about the curriculum. When we didn't have all the levels, I was still a little confused, but when I saw books 7 and 8, I was just blown away.

There are many families that will not have time to devote to such a comprehensive art curriculum, but for those that want something comparable to Rod and Staff English, this is it for drawing.

I'm starting it now with the intention of finishing it by 12th grade if we like it. That way I won't have to worry so much. I hope we like it. :D

Oh, Rachel, I was not offended!  your tone was very kind and carried the sense of -- I don't know, wryness?  -- that I sometimes feel myself at the uneven temporal pacing of the boards.  And I do wish I'd been more around here lately.  I am sorry if I seemed offended!  I just wanted you to know that I hadn't delayed in responding once I read your post. 

:)

Thank you for bringing this back up to the surface.  I'm newly encouraged by Hunter's recommendation and your comment that you can start now and finish by 12th -- we can do that, too!

Oh, Rachel, I was not offended! your tone was very kind and carried the sense of -- I don't know, wryness? -- that I sometimes feel myself at the uneven temporal pacing of the boards. And I do wish I'd been more around here lately. I am sorry if I seemed offended! I just wanted you to know that I hadn't delayed in responding once I read your post.

:)

Thank you for bringing this back up to the surface. I'm newly encouraged by Hunter's recommendation and your comment that you can start now and finish by 12th -- we can do that, too!

Good. I see drawing and "art" as different. I want to spend time developing the skill of drawing. Time every week of every year for the first 8 years at least. If I have a kid that loves sculpting, then they can run with it, but drawing to me is an essential skill like writing (neither of which are skills I posses!). I didn't really know how to do that, but this looks promising.

Off to scan book 8 and see what I'm really getting myself into. :leaving:

• Like 2