Menu

Wrinkle free shirts

Dh wants to do a bit of a wardrobe makeover. He has spent the past 3 years as a student and in a job with a very casual dress code. His new job actually has a casual dress code, too, but he would prefer to be at the more formal end of the options. He was fine while the weather stayed cool, but he tossed or donated lots of his short-sleeved shirts last fall since everything was looking rather worn. So his question for all of you is where to buy decent wrinkle resistant oxford-type shirts? I don't mind doing a bit of ironing, but I would appreciate any ideas for things likely to come out of the dryer requiring minimal attention!

Lands' end used to have a regular Oxford that was no-wrinkle, for a reasonable price. They've phased it out and upgraded it to Supima cotton which is nice but more expensive. In the past we've used the regular no-wrinkle Oxfords and they have been very good.

LLBean and probably Eddie Bauer and maybe Cabela's would all have entries. Eddie Bauer has gotten a little trendy; Lands' End was bought by Sears and hasn't been quite as good since; Cabela's is a very solid hunting and casual wear company. We've been pleased w/ other things we have bought from them.

They're all online.

I do find I sometimes need to mist the shirts if I don't get them out of the dryer immediately. Just a light mist w/ a water bottle and leave them hanging on the shower rod. Ditto when unpacking after a trip--they won't have to be re-washed or ironed.

Very easy to care for and also don't wrinkle as much in the wearing--if he doesn't get hot and sweaty my husband can wear one of these shirts more than once and it still looks nice.

The different companies have different cuts, especially around the neck. My husband needs his collar set forward so he doesn't feel choked. Lands' End has that fit and LLBean does not. So, dep. on your son's build, one source may be better than another for you.

Happy hunting!

My husband buys these, and they are wonderful! The brand he's had the best luck with is Van Heussen brand which we buy at JC Penney's. They make a wrinkle resistant/wrinkle free oxford style shirt as well as a wrinkle resistant polo style shirt; he has both types and they are fantastic. Even come out of our low heat, takes three hours to dry and everything comes out wrinkled dryer without needing ironing.

I buy my dh's shirts at Men's Wearhouse. Their wrinkle free shirts are awesome. They still need a hit with the iron to be crisp, but the few wrinkles just melt away with a quick iron.

My husband just got some shirts from the Men's Warehouse for the first time. We ended up there because it was nearly impossible to find 36/37 inch sleeve length anywhere else. They also carry long length ties.

I usually put my husband's dress shirts in a low heat dryer for about 3-5 minutes. Then I pull them out one at a time, hang them up, and allow them to air dry the rest of the way.

They normally are expensive, but we found some Brooks Brothers on sale at their outlet. These shirts can stay crumpled in a cold dryer and still come out ready to wear, not crisp but not slouchy. Fresh from the dryer is as good as an iron. Also, they wear very well; 18 months later = like new.

Maybe they have something online?

My husband buys these, and they are wonderful! The brand he's had the best luck with is Van Heussen brand which we buy at JC Penney's. They make a wrinkle resistant/wrinkle free oxford style shirt as well as a wrinkle resistant polo style shirt; he has both types and they are fantastic. Even come out of our low heat, takes three hours to dry and everything comes out wrinkled dryer without needing ironing.

A third vote for Van Heussen. They have outlets, too.

I love this thread! Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't want to spend time ironing:D

I love this thread! Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't want to spend time ironing:D

Thanks, everyone! I don't even mind ironing all that much, it's just that adding to my to-do list at this point doesn't seem like a great idea if we can find an alternative. He needs new shirts anyway, so they may as well be low maintenance.

They normally are expensive, but we found some Brooks Brothers on sale at their outlet. These shirts can stay crumpled in a cold dryer and still come out ready to wear, not crisp but not slouchy. Fresh from the dryer is as good as an iron. Also, they wear very well; 18 months later = like new.

:iagree: They are noticeably better than LLBean or Lands End. I haven't tried Joseph Banks (neither have stores around here.)